Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 09:29   #46
BHPian

Re: June 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I heard from a fellow journo that the Bolero has a 7 - 8 month waiting period in Nasik Remember that Nashik district has over 3,000 villages. It's pretty much the hub of that region.
It is revealing . I thought it is not a VFM utility vehicle nor it is as fuel efficient as compared to its competitors. I think I am wrong. Its almost NIL maintenance which I often read in the forum is the USP for selling in semi urban and rural market which utilizes its load capacity. thanks for the info
HYDRAVI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 10:18   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I really don't see any logic in how Camry outsold Superb in that segment. May be it is due to production glitches Toyota was facing and they dispatched a higher number of units this month to clear back orders. Or some mass sale to Hotel chains. Other than these, I don't see why the customer will choose the bare bone Camry over the other cars in the segment.

Sad to see Nissan continue to struggle month after month. When they came to India,
I had a feeling they will match Toyota and Honda in these commitment and enthusiasm levels. But they continue to disappoint.
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 10:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarkarthi View Post
Just a small curious question.

Does the numbers put up against Alto is a mix of all 3 Alto models (800, Alto Classic & K10) .

It comprises of (new) Alto 800 and Alto K-10. There is no other Alto in the market now.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 16:03   #49
BHPian

First of all many thanks Aditya for the Sales Figures. This is one thread that I keenly wait from day 1 of the month

I would inevitably provide some response for this thread each and every month when I am not disappointed by the sales.

This month brings me joy for two reasons:
(1) Honda going to number 3
And (2) My Baby (RITZ) going to number 3 in B2 segment

MARUTI:

To start with the segment leader, it's amazing to know how many people opt for Alto as their first choice which shows two things:
(1) Maruti is a loyal and convenient choice for first timers
(2) How much the middle class are able to stretch their budget to car from bike - just look at the numbers: 30k; it is selling like a bike. Nano was supposed to work like this but I guess the Alto has taken that place and literally killed Nano.

Swift and Dzire are as expected making great strides

Wagon R: Well! I haven't understood how it sells in such numbers. My uncle owns a Wagon-R and when I asked him why Wagon-R was his choice, he simply said it is tall and convenient to sit and drive. May be there are more reasons than just the above statement.

Ritz: I am not going to say much, as I know I will spill out lot of partiality towards it especially being an owner and how much I love it. But I am very happy that the car is still in the league of gentlemen (Top 20 league)

Omni and Eeco - Same story, same customers

Ertiga - Trust me you are going to face a storm (Honda Mobilio) so stand your ground.

HYUNDAI:

I10 Grand: Who is the King. "I am" says the Grand in a grand style. It is the leader in Hyundai bracket which dethrones Eon and kills it's own fellowship (I20 and I10).

Xcent: A good car and expected results.

Eon: When Alto why can't I asks Eon but it's amazing how Eon falls short, it's may be because of the price and nothing more.

I20 and I10: I am expecting the sales of I20 down mostly because people are expecting a facelift but I10 has been outlooked because of I10 Grand.

Verna: Sales are down! We all know why

HONDA

It's amazing how late Honda learnt that diesel sells in India though they hit the sweet spot of the customers.

Two awesome products: City and Amaze - amazing the crowd and surprising the competition

I am putting my money on Mobilio and Jazz as well. All that matters now is pricing.

MAHINDRA

I don't think too much has changed for Mahindra except being let down by downgraders like Quanto, Verito, Xylo.

Toyota

No matter what price tag you put on Innova and Fortuner they just keep selling. It's become so easy for Toyota just sit and add chrome and more chrome to their cars and keep the sales at same level.

And it's quite amazing that a car like Corolla sells so high but it's become quiet obvious that the choice in this segment is good backseat comfort and long term ownership with great re-sale which obviously is Toyota.

TATA

ZEST and BOLT I keep hearing them and hearing them that's it just keeping hearing. Tata bring them on-board before it's too late.

Nothing much to speak other than those two.

FORD

Ford figo is a great package, again expecting a facelift here.

I am keen as well as scared for the New Ford Fiesta. As a car enthusiast Ford makes one of the best handling cars and would like to see them place their cars properly in the Indian car market.

Ford Ecosport has done some justice to Indian customers this time around

OTHERS

The only car that is in the Top 20 yet not in any of the above manufactures is Renault Duster. The one and only car that brings numbers to Renault's garage.

Chevloret cruze is the only car that can give them a joy and only if they drop their price.

Volkswagon: Please hire a good market analyst

Fiat: I am waiting...

Rest: Nothing to comment
Kratos453 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 22:39   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
The Renault vs Nissan story is fascinating to me. Duster vs Terrano, Micra vs Pulse, Sunny vs Scala. In each case it's the same car. But in the first case, people are buying Renault, and in the other two cases, people are buying Nissan. Naively, one would think, why not just have only one model -- badged either Renault or Nissan (or Dacia or Datsun or whatever they want) -- and sell everything in the same showroom? What business sense does it make to invest in these slight differentiations of the same product? But maybe that's why I didn't make a career of marketing...
The desire to do an Audi, VW, Skoda type triad of selling the same wine in 3 different bottles drives the Renault - Nissan group. But as they say 'Nakal mein bhi akal chahiye'

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
did the Xcent suffer from a renewed interest in the Amaze? And why the sudden spike in Amaze sales, which also coincides with a proportional decline in Dzire sales? As far as i remember, Honda did not run any special promotional offer.
I believe the dip in Amaze numbers was Honda preparing for the Mobilio ramp-up. I am confident that the Amaze will go on to trounce both Dzire and Xcent consistently on the sales charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It maybe boring, uninspiring, and lack in safety features but the new Corolla has managed to sell more than the combined numbers of all the D1 segment sedans 922 v/s 898 (Cruze, Elantra, Fluence, Octavia, and the Jetta).
Those are the taxi fleet operators updating their fleets ;-)
My first car was a Corolla and I was once a Brand Manager for Corolla many summers ago. But frankly the current Corolla is dull as ditchwater. IMHO the City is a better buy any day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaycruizer View Post
What is wrong with Ford management, even after starting multiple shifts at the plant they are unable to get the EcoSport waiting period down for the domestic market . This alone can increase their domestic monthly sales figures. most of the prospective buyers will eventually move to other cars.
The margins on Exports are way higher. If you had the choice of allocating between Domestic and Exports what would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
All of Toyotas high margin products (innova, fortuner, corolla, Camry) are class toppers. Looks like even after the etios disappointment toyota ate laughing their way to the back. This should give an indication to Toyota to bring their products (Rav 4, Yaris) which even at a premium will sell due to legendary toyota reliability and service.
Forget the Yaris and the RAV4, even the Daihatsu sourced Rush (sold in Indonesia), a poor cousin of RAV4 will not meet the profitability targets Toyota bean counters set for themselves! Case in point is the Avanza (again does battle with Amaze and Ertiga in Indonesia). . . not in India, Ayla . . . not in India.

The Indian customer is a tougher bean counter than the guys at Toyota City!

Last edited by Samurai : 13th July 2014 at 23:54. Reason: Use multi-quote feature
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 11:21   #51
BHPian

Excellent Analysis figures team! Thanks again!
So, should we say Brio had just one bad month in April ? They seem to be doing reasonably OK in the last couple of months ( increasing trend ). Also, What % of City sales were petrol ?

Grand i10 numbers have dropped ( I read a news report where they said they crossed 1 lac sales of this car), it will be interesting to see the trend in upcoming months.
Old 14th July 2014, 12:28   #52
BHPian

Thank you Aditya for the figures.
I always stand mesmerized by the way how statistics work with the trend. Take a look at maruthi - their one of the best seller Swift lost market share like anything to 13k units and how it was compensated with the Alto sales - a staggering 30K units which still keeps maruthi going in the 1lakh per month sales figure !

Last edited by sajusherief : 14th July 2014 at 12:28. Reason: Formatting
Old 14th July 2014, 13:14   #53

Like a parched earth waiting for rains, how the car manufacturer must have been looking forward to the month gone by. Barring few, nearly all saw a increase (albeit minor) in their sales. What intrigues me is the wild swings in the numbers for usually stable cars like Alto, Swift.

Honda with their superior engine and service are making a strong case for themselves.

Grand i10 has cannibalized the sales of both i10 and i20.

Low numbers for Ford serves them right. With just one potential winner on their hands (Ecosport), they started giving the customer a high brow. They forgot that if we have the money, we have alternatives too.

M&M needs to roll out the new Scorpio fast before they lose more ground to Honda.
Old 14th July 2014, 15:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
By end of this year, after launch of Zest and Bolt, we will see Tata take #3 spot.
For all the good work happening at TML, I seriously hope this comes true.
But what happens to TML if Zest/Bolt are rejected by the masses?

For a million reasons, TML needs to focus back on their UV strategy. They do not have image issues (atleast upto the 12L bracket) and they should capitalize on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
The margins on Exports are way higher. If you had the choice of allocating between Domestic and Exports what would you choose?
Way higher margins? Why would Ford want to launch/sell Ecosport in India then? They are selling 4K a month at a loss here? What gives - a better product portfolio wouldnt be the only reason!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th July 2014 at 17:09. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT / MULTI QUOTE (QUOTE +) button within 30 minutes of submitting the 1st post instead. Thanks :)
Old 14th July 2014, 17:49   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I heard from a fellow journo that the Bolero has a 7 - 8 month waiting period in Nasik Remember that Nashik district has over 3,000 villages. It's pretty much the hub of that region.
A quick analysis of the numbers shows that close to 23% of sales comes from models that was launched at least ten years back! And this does not include the Alto cause the Alto numbers will include Alto 800, which is a fresher model.

Are we really evolving as a market? The logic of easy maintenance and availability of spares still rules in many cases, overshadowing evolution of design.
Old 15th July 2014, 11:38   #56
BHPian

Name:  Untitled.bmp
Views: 2563
Size:  160.4 KB
Ford has not sold a SINGLE fiesta for the last 6 months

Thats quite hard to believe.

Last edited by JollyPope : 15th July 2014 at 11:42.
JollyPope is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 12:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPope View Post
Attachment 1261854
Ford has not sold a SINGLE fiesta for the last 6 months

Thats quite hard to believe.
Ford stopped the new fiesta production in 2014 to concentrate on Ford ecosport. So that's not surprising. But no all new fiesta's delivered last month is a bit surprising. Let's hope it can get some good numbers for some days.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 13:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Missing GTO's monthly commentary on the sales. There's nothing great to talk about Fiat sales. But hopefully some good news can be expected in the coming couple of months with the launch of Face lift Punto and Avventura. Fiat needs to stick to the timelines and launch the cars as expected. Pricing will also decide which way the sales go.

Datsun Go saw a sharp fall in sales, is it coz customers have found Alto much more better in terms of looks, efficiency and after sales service? Another reason for the hefty jump in Alto sales?
Old 15th July 2014, 14:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

Biggest story is Mahindra loosing #3 to Honda.

Afterall common sense would dictate...

1) You make a SUV/MUV that lasts 6-10 years, somewhere along # of people should saturate right? Because their existing MUV is still going strong?

2) A new Bolero is NO longer a CHEAP MUV. Its well over 8-9Lacs and looks like a cross between Audi Q7 (Interior Digital Speedo and gizmos) and a Old CJ Jeep (READ - Cross gone horribly wrong) - I am not sure the rural folk consider the Bolero/Scorpio a Rural friendly cheap-to-maintain SUV/MUV anymore!

3) And with a Only-SUV range and the dusters, Terranos, Ecosports (Include the Enjoy, Ertiga, Tavera, Force1 etc) the HEAT should be felt at Mahindra by now...

4) What the Scorpio did to M&M in 2001(?) and Indica to Tata in 1999 - M&M needs a BOLT from the dark to ZEST them up - too old line up and rural folk are falling for the sub-10L pricing of Duster/Ecosport - Afterall they too need to look good and travel in luxury/style.

It may be a long shot - but Mahindra needs a Monocoque SUV ASAP - a La' XUV500 type RADICAL Product but at 7Lacs - but needs to comeout within a year to regain its market (segment) leader position asap...
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 15:21   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post

Wagon R: Well! I haven't understood how it sells in such numbers. My uncle owns a Wagon-R and when I asked him why Wagon-R was his choice, he simply said it is tall and convenient to sit and drive. May be there are more reasons than just the above statement.

The Wagon R (newer version launched in 2010 onwards) is an absolute gem of a vehicle, based on personal experience.
Contrary to appearances, the new Wagon R is a completely new vehicle designed from ground up on a new platform and shares nothing with the older Wagon R (the three window version).

High seating works well for elderly folks, the boxy shape makes way for a very spacious and airy cabin with good all round visibility, seats are ergonomic and more comfortable compared to similar Hyundai vehicle class and the K-Series engine is zippy, torquey , extremely good to drive and very fuel efficient too. Build quality is good too, the doors feel sturdy (has thicker sheet metal guage) and it doesn't feel tinny like the previous version.

The Indian consumers are smart and have realized its value, no wonder it is selling like hot cakes.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 15th July 2014 at 15:32.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks