Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 19:01   #1
Team-BHP Support

June 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Management Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.
Aditya is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 19:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: June 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 19:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 19:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 19:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 19:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

And so it finally happens - Honda dethrones Mahindra from the number 3 spot! Although the difference is pretty small, it is significant nevertheless, since Honda's sales have been propelled by just 2 offerings (City & Amaze) in a 4-car portfolio (soon to be 5), while Mahindra has a more diverse car lineup, with at least 3 bestsellers in the Bolero, Scorpio and the XUV. The Mobilio should give Honda an additional 3K-4K units a month (at least), and so Honda will look to widen the gap between it and the Indian SUV manufacturer major. Keen times ahead, to see the tussle between these two.

Excellent sales of the Alto as well. Must be the first time it has crossed the 30K mark in monthly sales. Maruti has gone past the 1 lakh mark as well, which is pretty significant. Competition does bring out the best in companies and their products and strategies - God Bless it alright!

I guess GTO is away for reviewing the Mobilio and the Zest. Thanks for the detailed figures, Aditya. Rated thread a well deserved 5-stars!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th July 2014 at 19:27.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 19:38   #7
BHPian

Only 5000 odd Ecosports sold this month and the figo a partly 1500 (peaked at 7000units). Ford is clearly missing a trick with the ecosport considering how the new honda city is selling. Let's hope the new ford fiesta gets them some numbers.

Datsun sells only 1k units from 2k last month. Considering 30k Alto's sold it looks like good engine, ride and handling is not enough to entice buyers in the budget segment. A version 2.0 is needed pretty fast.
Old 11th July 2014, 19:39   #8
BANNED

The Renault vs Nissan story is fascinating to me. Duster vs Terrano, Micra vs Pulse, Sunny vs Scala. In each case it's the same car. But in the first case, people are buying Renault, and in the other two cases, people are buying Nissan. Naively, one would think, why not just have only one model -- badged either Renault or Nissan (or Dacia or Datsun or whatever they want) -- and sell everything in the same showroom? What business sense does it make to invest in these slight differentiations of the same product? But maybe that's why I didn't make a career of marketing...
rsidd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 19:40   #9
BHPian

Thanks Aditya, GTO!

Most awaited in the month, only next to pay cheque!

Wondering what's causing the wild swing in Wagon R sales:

March: 14495
April: 9280
May: 11757
June: 17119
ravradha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 20:02   #10
BHPian

very good analysis Adithya. hats off..

I am just wondering how could Wagon R [ it's still a 12 year [+] model after all ] sell so much vehicles last month.

Fortuner is still flying high with more than 1400 units while opposition are eating dust.. Is it that good ? for me it is not. Now people are paying a premium for the Toyota badge. Yeah, I agree they are super reliable but still is it twice good as our SAFARI's and XUV's .. NO WAY...

German's [ VW group ] should really think and put forward a strategy about how they want to go forward. right now they seem confused. I hope they won't end up like Fiat or Mitsubushi
Old 11th July 2014, 20:04   #11
BHPian

Wow, a 76% month on Month volume increase for Alto that’s stunning, I remember some seeing 2 new Alto’s parked along the roadside near my house a few weeks back, Alto is still a hot seller compared to the fact it looks bit tardy compared to Hyundai Eon which is sold just 1/5th of Alto’s sales. June has been an awesome month for MSIL, despite the rains not falling good sales have recorded for MSIL.
Along with Maruti, Honda is picking up good sales, Amaze has again picked up some pace along with the magnificent new city. Mobilia launch will so some wonders soon to boost up some more sales for Honda.
Hyundai has 3 top sellers, Xcent, i10 grand & Eon all selling at approximately same volumes (7K – 6K along with Verna (3K).
It will be interesting to see what the festive season bring out for the best sellers, all eyes are on the Ciaz, Mobilio & other new launches, recently the revetron engine is making quite a lot of buzz, lets hope it can turn some stones for TATA.
Old 11th July 2014, 20:23   #12
BHPian

Thanks for this report. I am all eyes to this one as always. Good to see Honda on the third spot. As it is, Toyota still has an Innova and a Fortuner to keep the cash registers ringing. Hope to see Corolla climb the charts as well. Awaiting GTO's review of the Mobilio and Zest. Hope these two offerings do some good to Honda and TATA respectively. Is my interpretation correct to mention that Xcent has eaten up Verna's share a bit?
Old 11th July 2014, 20:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Honda is #3 without Mobilio joining the party yet!! Jazz is also coming soon!
They deserve these numbers!! If Vezel comes thru, then we are looking at a 2 digit market share
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 22:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Only 5000 odd Ecosports sold this month and the figo a partly 1500 (peaked at 7000units). Ford is clearly missing a trick with the ecosport considering how the new honda city is selling. Let's hope the new ford fiesta gets them some numbers.
Ford India sold 11,935 units in June 2014, up 36% from 8,771 units in June 2013. The numbers shown in the chart here are only domestic numbers. So essentially, Ford exported 40% of all its produce last month. No wonder there is still a huge waiting time for EcoSport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Honda is #3 without Mobilio joining the party yet!! Jazz is also coming soon!
By end of this year, after launch of Zest and Bolt, we will see Tata take #3 spot.
Old 11th July 2014, 22:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Vow, what ever happened with the Alto sales? Maruti seems to have pulled a Rabbit out of a hat? Is it that they prioritised the Celerio over the Alto for the last two months on their production lines? The Celerio shipments have declined. Swift decline anticipated as a facelift is expected.
Well done Honda. Moving into 3rd spot after having almost being written off for a lack of a diesel. M&M will fight back. Good month for the auto sector. Corolla on a high for the D segment spoils. Not sure about their diesel/petrol split. VW almost down and out. The Octavia is the only model that has shown an increase in MOM sales. Looking forward to what TATA can do with the Zest. Thanks Aditya.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed