Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 23:17   #1
BHPian

Guidelines: Car Ownership Transfer in Bangalore

I recently applied for "ownership transfer within state" of a used car I bought. Prior to approaching the RTO I read up about the process online and inquired with friends and family. However I had a few surprises in store. I hope to share my experience/mistakes for the benefit of bhpians.

This is what I did :

Step 1: Applied for Clearance Certificate(CC) from Jayanagar RTO

If your pre-worshipped ride is under loan, unlike my case, this step will also include hypothecation cancellation.
  • Produced the following documents :
    • CC request letter from the owner - 1 No. This is not a standard form.
    • Original RC Card
    • Photocopy of valid insurance - 1 No
    • Photocopy of emission certificate – 1 No
    • Self addressed clothed envelope with Rs.30 worth of stamps affixed on it for local speed post
  • Took all the documents to the verification clerk sitting bang opposite to the entrance
  • After verification, was told to get a signature from the office superintendent
  • Got back to the first clerk and showed the documents again
  • Submitted all the documents to another clerk and got an acknowledgement. There is no fee for CC application
  • CC along with modified RC book was delivered at my residence via speed post about 27 days after I applied
Above was done by my generous dad who had to take time out of his schedule because of my mistakes during the earlier visits. He reached the RTO at 10:15am on a weekday and was done with all the work in 15 minutes time.

Step 2: Applied for Ownership Transfer at Indiranagar RTO

If your ride is under loan the process may be slightly different.
  • Produced the following documents :
    • Form No. 29 in duplicate – 2 Nos
    • Form No. 30 – 1 No
    • RC Card Original
    • Photocopy of valid insurance – 1 No
    • Photocopy of emission certificate – 1 No
    • Photocopy of address proof (Electoral Photo ID Card) – 1 No
    • Photocopy of PAN card – 1 No
    • Original CC
    • One passport size photograph of transferee (Carried 4 extra just in case)
    • Self addressed clothed envelope with Rs.30 worth of stamps affixed on it for local speed post
  • Took all the documents to a superintendent and got them verified - Room 13 counter 9. He/She will request for additional sign/entries/documents if required and write the fee to be paid on one of the forms. I had to pay a total of Rs.405 :
    • Transfer of ownership - Rs.105
    • Smart Card - Rs.200
    • Late fee - Rs25/month. (Applicable if the application is not submitted within 14 days of purchase)
  • Gave my file to the Data Entry Operator and got the vehicle details and fee entered in the system - Room 13 counter 6
  • Paid the fee in the payment counter -Room 1. I was provided two challans. Attached both the challans with the documents after taking a photocopy for my reference. The room had a long queue extending outside the door. When I entered the room I noticed that most of the people were standing in the queue for the first counter while the other two had very short queues. This happens because most people join the back of the long queue that extends outside the door assuming that there is only one counter without going inside the room and checking - this saved me valuable time.
  • Submitted all the documents to the clerk -Room 13 counter 7. The clerk went through the documents and provided an acknowledgement. The RC book will be posted within 30 days time.
I reached the RTO at 10:30am on a Saturday and was done by 11:30am.

Common Step:
In both of the above cases I placed the RC Card in a plastic cover. Stapled all the documents along with challans and plastic cover containing the RC Card onto the top left corner inside a RTO file. I stapled the photo on the first form in the file (form 29 in my case). Also stapled the self addressed stamped envelope. RTO files cost Rs.5 and will be available in the shops around the RTO. If possible get the file and arrange all documents in it beforehand.

Note, the small yet significant bits based on experience :
  • Do not go by the regn. number code (KA-05, KA-53 etc) to ascertain the original RTO. Look at the lower right corner on the backside of the RC card. The RTO division will be mentioned within braces.
For example, I had to transfer a car with KA-53 regn. I was under the impression that the vehicle was registered to KR Puram RTO, but the official at KR Puram pointed out the elusive “(s)” which indicates that the vehicle is actually registered at the Bangalore South division, i.e Jayanagar. Imagine my plight as I had to travel for 20+ kms on a HH Splendor on a hot Saturday morning from one RTO to another.
  • Although new vehicles can be registered in any RTO in Bangalore under the "Anywhere Registration" scheme, the same does not apply to ownership transfers. The application for transfer of ownership must be submitted at the RTO which has jurisdiction over your area of residence.
  • Form 28, application for NoC, is not applicable for transfers within state. A separate letter of application for CC from the seller is required. I ended up getting confused between NoC and CC which cost me two weeks.
  • RTO is closed on second Saturday of every month. This is a norm for Karnataka State Gvt offices I guess and I was aware of this, but it did not strike me until I was climbing the last flight of deserted stairs at Jayanagar RTO trying to figure out why no one else has the brilliant idea of tuning up early to get their RTO work done.
  • The cash counter closes at 12pm on Saturdays so plan accordingly.
  • Do not miss the "Specimen Signature of the Registered Owner" field (two signatures) at the bottom right of second sheet of form 30. This field is away from the other fields, beneath the "Office Endorsement" section and is easy to miss.
  • During this episode I realize that the procedure is slightly different from what is mentioned on the Transport Department website. For instance the website does not mention that a "photocopy" of the PAN card is necessary. It mentions that the address proof is required in original while I only had to present a copy. While reading online I came I across other differences as well - a guy was asked to produce a photocopy of RC card while applying for CC. I went to the RTO completely prepared with copies of multiple address proofs, multiple photographs etc, the PAN photocopy helped. While it is possible to get the photocopy at the shops around the RTO, the process will eat up valuable time.
  • It is wise to carry some stationary long. Pens, stapler, whitener, glue all help.
  • Although the two steps mentioned above consumed 1 hour 15 mins, I did spend quite a lot of time during the previous failed visits. Its a good idea to prepare for the worst and carry some drinking water, snacks as well.
Below snaps/uploads of few documents you may come across :

1. CC request letter tempate. I bought a template near Jayanagar RTO and typed it out.
Clearance_Certificate.doc

2. CC Acknowledgment
Guidelines: Car Ownership Transfer in Bangalore-cc_ack.jpg

3. CC
Guidelines: Car Ownership Transfer in Bangalore-cc.jpg

4. Ownership transfer challan 1
Guidelines: Car Ownership Transfer in Bangalore-challan_1.jpg

5. Ownership transfer challan 2
Guidelines: Car Ownership Transfer in Bangalore-challan_2.jpg

6. Ownership transfer acknowledgement
Guidelines: Car Ownership Transfer in Bangalore-ot_ack.jpg

7. RC card with the elusive (s)
Guidelines: Car Ownership Transfer in Bangalore-img_20140719_225920345.jpg

This entire process cost me Rs.405. I feel it was worth the effort and hopefully, since the idea of lateral upgrading appeals to me, will make my next car purchase smoother.

I had a tough time gathering information in this regard as the experiences and instructions were spread across multiple threads/websites. Since the ownership transfer is not a smooth glitch-free process yet and is specific to the state/city, it would be helpful if others post their experience at various RTOs as well.

Wish you a smooth ownership transfer!

Mods: If this post does not warrant a new thread, please merge it with an appropriate thread, preferably the "How to sell a *USED* car in India" thread.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 19th July 2014 at 23:36. Reason: Corrected typo
rajathv8 is offline   (96) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 17:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Guidelines: Car Ownership Transfer in Bangalore

Thanks Rajath, for a very useful thread. Most of us don't bother to do it in person for lack of procedural knowledge. This will hopefully encourage some more people to try it first hand.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 05:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot for the detailed writeup and steps involved. These govt related procedures can be a pain sometimes, but if we are equipped with the right ammo in terms of information, as well as patience, its not that bad.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:27   #4
BHPian

Having done the transfers for my pre-owned scooter (Indiranagar RTO) and car (Jayanagar RTO) to Indiranagar RTO, I must admit the process is fairly transparent and straight forward at namma RTO! You don't need to know Kannada either, the RTO staff are friendly (from my experience at both Jayanagar and Indiranagar)

For the benefit of others,
1. Two wheelers can be transferred at any RTO within Bengaluru regardless of where they were originally registered and doesn't need a clearance certificate!
2. Hypothecation cancellation takes an additional Rs. 100/-
3. Check for fines at http://btis.in/fines or your nearest traffic cop (with handheld) and pay them online before going to the RTO
AirWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:08   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed information. One of my friend who thought it will take so many days to finish with both the RTO office, contacted an agent who charged 4k for this complete procedure .

One doubt: in the step 2, life time tax paid receipt is also need to be submitted?
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:27   #6
BHPian

Excellent.
All of the government office works can be done by us very easily. Most of us do not do it on our own due to lack of information. This post will surely help a lot of people.

Pal.
PS: I loved the description of your Batmobile in the RC (Pic 7).
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing! Clearance certificate - do you mean NOC?
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:13   #8
BHPian

Thank you so much for this post. The process is pretty similar for transfer from out of state. I went through the whole thing at the electronic city RTO for my swift from out of state. Got my tax receipt and all. Then the RTO shifted elsewhere. Yet to receive my new registration for the state. They keep telling me to come back. I'm tired of making the rounds.

Was so proud of myself when I got it all done myself without the help of any agent.

Thanks again
amarpreet99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:53   #9
BHPian

Excellent write up rajathv8! Much needed information to all Bhpians out here, I am going through all these 'pains' as you would have gone. I drove down all the way to Koromangla RTO then come back to KR Puram RTO, as I was under the impression that I would require an NOC from Koromangla to get it transferred to KR Puram, now the struggle is to get an address proof. I sold my bike to a young lad who is new to bangalore and stays in a PG. Officials will not accept anything other than a govt issued address proof, or would need to provide a rental agreement with an affidavit. So a second visit is pending to get everything in place and complete this once and for all.
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
Yet to receive my new registration for the state. They keep telling me to come back. I'm tired of making the rounds.

Was so proud of myself when I got it all done myself without the help of any agent.

Thanks again
Thank you rajathv8 for the very useful post. It is pretty much similar at the RTOs in chennai. In fact a year back, helping a friend in an ownership transfer issue, an the officer in charge was telling me how they deliberately keep the procedures tough, long and complicated because and I quote his words "You ( the applicant ) should feel the extreme difficulty and get the satisfaction of having achieved something. If we make it easy then there would be no respect and value for us ( The babus/clerks/officers)" Sadistic pleasure indeed
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:38   #11
BHPian

Hello,that was some detailed information.Thanks a lot rajathv8 for this because even I am planning to buy a used bike and I have checked lot of forums and blogs regarding a clear set of procedure.But none of them were this detailed.Anyways I have another doubt i.e the bike that i am presently considering has been registered from Davangere RTO. Hence there is no online database to give me the details of the owner and the bike unlike bikes registered in Bangalore.So is there a way in which I can cross check the originality of the RC before I can make the purchase.Fellow members kindly give in your inputs.
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks.

Does anyone have idea how to transfer a company leased vehicle to a third party, before the lease period has expired?
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am now motivated enough to approach the Koramangala RTO and try to convert the faded/dusted/sad looking BOOK RC (Honda-Dio 2 wheeler, wife's) to a Smart Card. Let me see how that turns out.
Old 23rd July 2014, 20:48   #14
BHPian

Both my car and my bike were used vehicles so I had to go through the change of ownership procedure for both of them. Here are some tips based on my experience.

- Take with you:
extra copies of all documents
extra photos
glue
paper clips (no stapler)
small plastic covers to enclose loose smart cards, photos, etc.
A self-addressed envelope with sufficient stamps for speed post (usually available near the RTO)

- You will be asked for a "B" extract of the RC. This contains all the details of the vehicle registration that are not printed on the RC card. Importantly these include the hypothecation status and any other legal issues. This can only be got at a Bangalore One centre for Rs. 10. It is advisable to get this before you part with any money.

- The clearance certificate (CC) is not needed for 2 wheelers but compulsory for cars.

- Technically, the CC must be applied for by the transferor (existing owner) but if the car has already been purchased, the new owner may also apply for it. My application was rejected the first time because of signature mismatching. The previous owner was cooperative and came to the RTO and signed in the register in front of the official to solve the issue.

- You will be submitting all the original documents to the RTO and you will left with nothing in hand. Remember to have spare copies until you receive the new documents in hand!

There's usually a lot of running around from counter to counter but if you have all the correct documents (including the CC) and come early enough, the actual application process can be completed in less than an hour.

Good luck to those who are about to embark on this mission!
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 09:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
Thanks for the detailed information. One of my friend who thought it will take so many days to finish with both the RTO office, contacted an agent who charged 4k for this complete procedure .

One doubt: in the step 2, life time tax paid receipt is also need to be submitted?
Not reqd. as the LTT endorsement will be there on the RC book or smart card.

Most Viewed