Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2007, 20:50   #226
BHPian

Quote:
My cars are a reason I dont like taking any onsite assignment,
Bit surprised to hear that!

But once onsite, you can drive lots of wonderful cars which are not yet available in India.
Old 16th April 2007, 23:32   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Bit surprised to hear that!

But once onsite, you can drive lots of wonderful cars which are not yet available in India.

1> Yeah lots of wonderful cars , but, they are not MY cars. (I terribly miss our Fiat and now My Ikon)
2> Moreover, lots of these wonderful cars, are let down by speed restrictions, red and blue lights. I feel, what a waste, that I cant even push these any fair bit on top of that, amazing chassis dynamics which cant be seen at work avoiding a cyclist or a tractor from the opposite side.

But yes a couple of locations are beautiful to drive like some english country roads but the moment you get into the fun mode, you would have a Crown Victoria equivalent running behind you. such a shame. However I have enjoyed track, but that too "under controlled situations" after spending a fortune.

So, its just me, that I dont like driving outside my own country. But yes, most Indians love driving abroad for the very reasons of certainty and luxurious cars.

Last edited by 1100D : 16th April 2007 at 23:36.
Old 17th April 2007, 01:05   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Moreover, lots of these wonderful cars, are let down by speed restrictions, red and blue lights. I feel, what a waste, that I cant even push these any fair bit on top of that, amazing chassis dynamics which cant be seen at work avoiding a cyclist or a tractor from the opposite side.
Agree ! It doesn't matter if you have a Ferrari in the US. You can't go more than 70mph and if you go you are more likely to be caught there than anywhere else in the world. Any Japanese car would get you to 70 and above easily. No way are you going to push 150 mph on a regular basis in the US on normal freeways. Maybe that's why we Indians are smart enough not to waste on a bigger more powerful car in the US !!! :-)
Old 17th April 2007, 01:22   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My cars are areason I dont like taking any onsite assignment, but then can't help it. Anyway my old man is a spoilt brat (His Old Man spoilt him). He was the first to hit 180 kmph (indicated) on the Ikon speedo, he was the one doing stopwatch launches to 100 first. He treats cars as machines to have fun on. Scratches and dents dont matter. The 1100d is his Dad's and I still recall his Dad scolding him for denting his Dodge Royal V8! The guy simply wants to drive. But dont warry I have done enough pshychological stuff on his mind, without managing to be rude, he now thinks twice before cutting off a bus from the left side to take on a truck from the right!!
Well seems like you Dad really enjoys driving cars!! Hard to find such people I tell you, only if my mother could appreciate my driving skills a bit more!!!
Old 17th April 2007, 08:44   #230
Senior - BHPian

Wonder Dad...

Quote:
My cars are areason I dont like taking any onsite assignment, but then can't help it. Anyway my old man is a spoilt brat (His Old Man spoilt him). He was the first to hit 180 kmph (indicated) on the Ikon speedo, he was the one doing stopwatch launches to 100 first. He treats cars as machines to have fun on. Scratches and dents dont matter. The 1100d is his Dad's and I still recall his Dad scolding him for denting his Dodge Royal V8! The guy simply wants to drive. But dont warry I have done enough pshychological stuff on his mind, without managing to be rude, he now thinks twice before cutting off a bus from the left side to take on a truck from the right!!
Wonder DAD, dont find such dad's these days...or should I say u r lucky to have a Godfather like him...
Dont stop those onsite assignments, let the money flowing in so tha ur cars gets more investments....

Abhi
Old 17th April 2007, 11:40   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Wonder DAD, dont find such dad's these days...or should I say u r lucky to have a Godfather like him...
Dont stop those onsite assignments, let the money flowing in so tha ur cars gets more investments....

Abhi
Abhi's right here...
You could help your fellow-ikon brothers too.. sponsoring some mods and so on for them.
Old 17th April 2007, 22:31   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Abhi's right here...
You could help your fellow-ikon brothers too.. sponsoring some mods and so on for them.
Done! But here's the fine print

Any vehicle belonging to a fellow Team-BHPian brother (Ikon or otherwise, I would prefer an Octy 1.8T though) that I am allowed to finance the modding of , would automatically entrust myself with the right to drive the cars after the above modifications, in or out of a track keeping in mind that the said vehicle, does not belong to me!

How wonderful.

I pay for the Icing but eat the cake!
Old 23rd November 2007, 20:11   #233
BHPian

Rant Alert

I just couldnt control my disappointment - A big rant ahead! Lovers of peace, please excuse or skip.

I am quite positive I am a well paid software engineer (dont tell my boss , been in the industry for over 7 years. But, still I am unable to buy even an entry level 3 series, let alone forget M3s and M5s. Cars are so disproportially priced. (I am sure there are thousand rants in the similar line, but let me vent my pent up frustrations )

A software engineer of equivalent experience in a similar domain, would make 120K+ in US. BMW 3 series start about 29K USD. That is 25% of one's salary. A good software engineer of my experience may make 10-15L p.a (not me!). A BMW 3 series is priced 35L+ on road. Thats a !#$#$@ 2-3X the annual salary. The same holds for every damned car in India.

80L on road for M3? Puhlease... This is meant for people who are born into rich families, kid geniuses who make money in .com, savvy business men (typically with black money) and kids of politicians (I dont belong to any of the above :( )

Looks like hard-working self made people (some solace for my self image ) may not be able to buy one when they are young. I really dont care what I drive when I am 80, let alone if I reach the age.

Time to get back to Eckhart Tolle / Yoga Vaashishta to cool my nerves. Let me see when I'll be able to buy a beemer (I hope Universe exists till then- Honey, I think I doomed the universe | NEWS.com.au)

Regards
Sriram
Old 25th November 2007, 14:07   #234
BHPian

I work with a lot of IT guys..i think sitting in an office and typing code the whole day vapourises the "fun" part of the brain!..hehe
Old 25th November 2007, 16:51   #235
BHPian

Quote:
A software engineer of equivalent experience in a similar domain, would make 120K+ in US. BMW 3 series start about 29K USD. That is 25% of one's salary. A good software engineer of my experience may make 10-15L p.a (not me!). A BMW 3 series is priced 35L+ on road. Thats a !#$#$@ 2-3X the annual salary. The same holds for every damned car in India.
That's why people head to overseas
Old 25th November 2007, 18:12   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
reading up on Purchasing Power Parity or PPP will answer this question for you. And it cuts bothways..Imagine hiring a driver for Rs.5 - 8000 / per month ( 125 - 200 $ ) or a full time maid to work in your house for 2000/ month ( 50 $ ) , in US. You lose some and you gain some. There are a whole range of products and services which costs in India , a fraction of what it costs in US or Europe.

Last edited by w 12 : 25th November 2007 at 18:20.
Old 25th November 2007, 18:18   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I just couldnt control my disappointment - A big rant ahead! Lovers of peace, please excuse or skip.

Regards
Sriram
nice one sriram.

now can you comment about doc etc too pls!
Old 25th November 2007, 18:19   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well seems like you Dad really enjoys driving cars!! Hard to find such people I tell you, only if my mother could appreciate my driving skills a bit more!!!
met a guy who love cars ( and may love our karlosdeville) . His dad still rides rd350 when he finds time!
Old 25th November 2007, 18:26   #239
BHPian

Practically speaking our desi IT pros dont consider Luxury cars because of following
  • NO Value For Money (according to some of them)
  • Heavy Investment (Instead buy a modest car & invest the rest in Land / Shares/ Gold etc)
  • Poor Infrastructure, Some of the guys who've actually used luxury cars outside think that these autos dont deserve to be on Indian Roads.
Another major thinking is

Indian Posting = Indian Salary = Indian(made) Small Car,
Phoren Posting = $ Salary = Phoren Car
Old 25th November 2007, 22:18   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Practically speaking our desi IT pros dont consider Luxury cars because of following
  • NO Value For Money (according to some of them)
  • Heavy Investment (Instead buy a modest car & invest the rest in Land / Shares/ Gold etc)
  • Poor Infrastructure, Some of the guys who've actually used luxury cars outside think that these autos dont deserve to be on Indian Roads.
Another major thinking is

Indian Posting = Indian Salary = Indian(made) Small Car,
Phoren Posting = $ Salary = Phoren Car
First up, Im not a techie but here are my 2 cents anyway-
Perhaps the first 2 reasons hold back some people from buying a better car but its the third reason that stops me.
I'd love a nice big car and wouldn't mind paying the price. The problem is our roads and infrastructure - people drive crazily, your car is not safe even in a parking, and scratches and damage are normal. In such an environment I don't want to spend money on something I won't be able to keep in pristine condition because of factors beyond my control. A nice expensive car is less of a pleasure and more of a headache on these roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks