Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2007, 10:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
You can see lots of costly Mercs. parked in front of cheap flats in cities like HK/Singapore. The cars probably cost the owners much more than their entire flat!
Erm, is it just me, or have real estate prices dropped by half?
Old 8th April 2007, 11:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
I think when people refer to IT pros generally they are referring to Bangalore/Madras folks. Generally they are not flashy whether or not in IT. Delhi-ites are much more flashy and would look at things differently, be it cars/dress etc.
You forgot Gurgaon and Noida. Even in my company, i see a lot of small cars in the parking lot. Very few sedans. Even the PMs and SPMs drive Santros and wagonRs here. Not that they are underpaid. Maybe the workload takes its toll so much that they dont have any passion ignited in their minds other than work! And ofcourse the ever rising housing interest rates and property prices are also a contributing factor.

Last edited by DCEite : 8th April 2007 at 11:02.
Old 8th April 2007, 11:03   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
Maybe the workload takes its toll so much that they dont have any passion ignited in their minds other than work!
Why on earth do they work, then?
Old 8th April 2007, 11:08   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Maybe work is their only passion.
Old 8th April 2007, 11:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

I don't envy them...
Old 8th April 2007, 11:30   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Because they NEED to. Not everyone has the luxury of opting not to work or earn.
Old 8th April 2007, 11:35   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Because they NEED to. Not everyone has the luxury of opting not to work or earn.
Duh. But why does anyone work? To satisfy your needs and desires. And I see a lot of highly-paid people who are so caught up in work that they have no other desires. Don't miss the forest for the trees.
Old 8th April 2007, 11:51   #83
BHPian

This is how I look at it. We are basically a set of bhikharis( slightly harsh word to convey the right emotion).
  • We dont see vehicle as a style statement or even at times a necessity.
  • We consider it as something to just move from one point to the other.
  • It is a one time investment whose cost is going to depreciate with time unlike property/mutual funds which give returns
  • Most of the times we might have enough money to buy a vehicle <A> but we wont do it if we feel its not a play safe vehicle. We dont have additional money to sustain the object bought from our affordability in case it goes wrong
  • I consider all those logic of city traffic/sparse parking/narrow roads one of the reasons to convince our bhikhari mind that we are making the right choice by not buying the vehicle <XYZ>, I am telling you if all were Ambanis, everyone would have bought a MERC regardless of the above factors
  • Vehicle prices in India are still not all that low/competitive that they can be very easily bought by an average salaried individual
  • If a vehicle like Maruti Esteem is still selling in Indian markets and even getting bought by highly paid guys, how can someone expect flashy cars being bought
  • We have a pre-concieved notions about brands. If HONDA comes with CITY, it's a revolutionary design. If the same car was from Hyundai, it would have been a design not catering to Indian aspirations. Hence we all tend to buy the same set of wheels. Almost all IT Pros of around 4-5 Years of EXP shall have a golder Honda CITY eg
Thoughts of other members welcome on the above

-POGU
Old 8th April 2007, 11:53   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
This is how I look at it. We are basically a set of bhikharis( slightly harsh word to convey the right emotion).
  • We dont see vehicle as a style statement or even at times a necessity.
  • We consider it as something to just move from one point to the other.
  • It is a one time investment whose cost is going to depreciate with time unlike property/mutual funds which give returns
  • Most of the times we might have enough money to buy a vehicle <A> but we wont do it if we feel its not a play safe vehicle. We dont have additional money to sustain the object bought from our affordability in case it goes wrong
  • I consider all those logic of city traffic/sparse parking/narrow roads one of the reasons to convince our bhikhari mind that we are making the right choice by not buying the vehicle <XYZ>, I am telling you if all were Ambanis, everyone would have bought a MERC regardless of the above factors
  • Vehicle prices in India are still not all that low/competitive that they can be very easily bought by an average salaried individual
  • If a vehicle like Maruti Esteem is still selling in Indian markets and even getting bought by highly paid guys, how can someone expect flashy cars being bought
  • We have a pre-concieved notions about brands. If HONDA comes with CITY, it's a revolutionary design. If the same car was from Hyundai, it would have been a design not catering to Indian aspirations. Hence we all tend to buy the same set of wheels. Almost all IT Pros of around 4-5 Years of EXP shall have a golder Honda CITY eg

-POGU
Not on TBHP, we aren't!
Old 8th April 2007, 12:13   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Not on TBHP, we aren't!
Sorry for the confusion, I was in general referring to the potential car buying community

-Regards
POGU
Old 8th April 2007, 12:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I Disagree here.. Please dont use the word "WE".. I am definately not one.

Quote:
  • We dont see vehicle as a style statement or even at times a necessity. ** I DO
  • We consider it as something to just move from one point to the other. ** NO.. For me its a style statement too
  • It is a one time investment whose cost is going to depreciate with time unlike property/mutual funds which give returns** I dont think like this at all
  • Most of the times we might have enough money to buy a vehicle <A> but we wont do it if we feel its not a play safe vehicle. We dont have additional money to sustain the object bought from our affordability in case it goes wrong **Wrong again
  • I consider all those logic of city traffic/sparse parking/narrow roads one of the reasons to convince our bhikhari mind that we are making the right choice by not buying the vehicle <XYZ>, I am telling you if all were Ambanis, everyone would have bought a MERC regardless of the above factors ** I am not as rich as Ambanis but have a couple of high end cars..including the BMW 5 series
  • Vehicle prices in India are still not all that low/competitive that they can be very easily bought by an average salaried individual**depends which segment you set your eyes on and if your pockets are deep enough. If you cant afford it dont dream of it
  • If a vehicle like Maruti Esteem is still selling in Indian markets and even getting bought by highly paid guys, how can someone expect flashy cars being bought**Here the class of a guy comes into play.. dont have class then cant help you here
  • We have a pre-concieved notions about brands. If HONDA comes with CITY, it's a revolutionary design. If the same car was from Hyundai, it would have been a design not catering to Indian aspirations. Hence we all tend to buy the same set of wheels. Almost all IT Pros of around 4-5 Years of EXP shall have a golder Honda CITY eg** I dont agree again..

-POGU
Godfather
Old 8th April 2007, 12:23   #87
BHPian

Godfather, no offence meant, I clarified what I was trying to say in the last post. Hope everyone understands.

-Regards
POGU
Old 8th April 2007, 12:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

BTW way are discussing about "flashy cars". What exactly are "flashy cars" ? It depends on individual to individual. For a guy with 3 lac odd salary, even the Swift is a flashy car. For Anil Ambani, even the Bently flying supur is NOT such a flashy car. Maybe Veyron is.

It depends upon individual class.
Old 8th April 2007, 12:58   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I Disagree here.. Please dont use the word "WE".. I am definately not one.

Godfather
On second thoughts, this is the passion that we all have for automobiles that makes us so much involved with each and every post on this forum. Long live TBHP

-POGU
Old 8th April 2007, 13:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Duh. But why does anyone work? To satisfy your needs and desires. And I see a lot of highly-paid people who are so caught up in work that they have no other desires. Don't miss the forest for the trees.
Why do you come here? Because you desire to.

Why do you trawl the internet for information on cars and bikes? Because you have a NEED.

Why do you buy a dilapidated Standard Herald and try to plonk a V6 into it? Because you have a DESIRE to drive around in something fast.

Dont tell me you dont have needs or desires. And lets not get started on that line of thought - its very easy to be idealistic at a certain point in life. I've been through it too, so lets not

YAY! I finally got a a chance to use the new smiley!!! Now that was a desire that I got to fulfill pretty fast.

PS: There are some things that you can understand better when you experience them personally. I guess you'll consider this as an old plonker talking, but perhaps we can have this conversation again in about 5 years or more. Hopefully we'll still be around on this forum then.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th April 2007 at 13:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks