Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2007, 07:51   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I can tell you about desi IT pros in the US, they only buy Accords and Camrys.
Not me MP

And seriously, which are the flashy cars india that avarage IT proffessional can afford after buying a flat?

I am in US so I am driving a Camaro but once back in India I won't be able to afford anything more than Swift/Getz.
Old 9th April 2007, 11:36   #107
Team-BHP Support

Pretty weird arguments here!
I am an IT Pro. If I want a decent mid sized car, no flash, no extreme stuff, just a sensible car, I need to fork out an EMI of 18-20,000 a month, + down payment and all.
Add to that amount the rent etc., you plonk out about 30K a month. So what have you got left.
I want to buy a nice flashy fast car, but can't afford the fuel and the car. This is not a case of lack of want, its more like lack of means.
There are may IT pros who are considered in the "Prime" category by the Media, and their take home is 30K/month. They can't afford anything more than a hatch like a santro/Indica etc.,

Nobody buys an Indica NA out of passion or want, its a necessity, and 15000 indica's a month proves that cars are bought due to majboori.
Old 9th April 2007, 12:17   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Pretty weird arguments here!
I am an IT Pro. If I want a decent mid sized car, no flash, no extreme stuff, just a sensible car, I need to fork out an EMI of 18-20,000 a month, + down payment and all.
Add to that amount the rent etc., you plonk out about 30K a month. So what have you got left.
I want to buy a nice flashy fast car, but can't afford the fuel and the car. This is not a case of lack of want, its more like lack of means.
There are may IT pros who are considered in the "Prime" category by the Media, and their take home is 30K/month. They can't afford anything more than a hatch like a santro/Indica etc.,

Nobody buys an Indica NA out of passion or want, its a necessity, and 15000 indica's a month proves that cars are bought due to majboori.
I agree with that ... its the money which matters..
there others who really owns them but prefer to drive in small cars .. easy to park, handling, practicality ..
Old 9th April 2007, 12:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

I agree with tsk, we do go for things out of necessity and majboori... not that we dont like or wish the other / upgraded one...
Plus in indian cities, the small car has its own advantages which no sedans can match....

Abhi
Old 9th April 2007, 12:38   #110
Senior - BHPian

Also note that job profile of most IT professional is that of a "nomad", moving from country to country at a moment's notice. So he/she thinks twice before buying a car.

I have seen many of my collegues who bought cars here in India, only to sell them off within months, at a loss of 50k etc just because they are going overseas and they dont know when they will be back. So they would rather spend that money elsewhere rather than on a car.
Old 9th April 2007, 13:11   #111
BHPian

I went through the whole thread with interest, and there were some very good points made my the posters.

There is one thing that many of us has overlooked. It is the taxes in India. Indian taxes, especially on vehicle and fuel are among the highest in the world. About 40 % of the cost of a vehicle is tax, and 30 % of the cost of the fuel that goes into it is tax as well.

By comparison, in US, only about 5% of the price of a car is tax.

This means that being a resident Indian means that you can afford half the car in India, that you can affort in US ( or other advanced better taxed countries) for the same money. For the same money, you can buy Hyundai Sonata in US, but only Hyundai Accent in India.

The huge taxes in India means that you can only get a non flashy car, even if you pay for a "flashy" car in India. So spending good money , and getting a lower segment car is also a major deterrent why we do not see too many people owning "flashy' cars.
Old 9th April 2007, 14:26   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarecut View Post
The huge taxes in India means that you can only get a non flashy car, even if you pay for a "flashy" car in India.
So in relative terms you are buying a flashy car
Old 9th April 2007, 17:59   #113
Senior - BHPian

I thought we were talking about the types who could afford an Accord but stick to a Santro.
Old 9th April 2007, 18:43   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I thought we were talking about the types who could afford an Accord but stick to a Santro.
I guess you are right. This thread got so long people forgot the original premise.

Folks, this thread is about whether IT pros buy flashy cars even when they can afford it.
Old 9th April 2007, 19:42   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Appearances can be very very deceptive. Tell me Zakkie's a car junkie when he walks around in his flowing robes and skullcap, and I'll say you're high.
Well, if he walks off a flight and loiters around the car park in Sepang International Circuit in such garb- which he did - you'll expect anything
Old 9th April 2007, 22:47   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I guess you are right. This thread got so long people forgot the original premise.

Folks, this thread is about whether IT pros buy flashy cars even when they can afford it.
there are a truckloads of such people and its got very little to do with the IT industry, specifically.

I know people who are worth in crores, but still wear the typical white kurta pyjama 7 days a week, live in a 1-room kitchen (not a 1BHK, just the one room) with their family in a chawl. sounds ridiculous doesn't it. but thats the way it is.

their concept is geared towards wealth-creation and accumulation, not towards affluence. not that I agree with it though.

of course such particular people have very compelling reasons to not buy a flashy car. As paying tax is sacrilege in their way of life, it certainly would be difficult explaining to the taxman certain pointed questions on how he managed to buy a flashy car in the first place. This is also the reason they continue to live in a 50 yr old cramped place, when they easily afford to live in a much better way.
Old 9th April 2007, 22:54   #117
BHPian

I had been to Shenzhen in China lately, really a wonderful place with excellent road infrastructure( they are miles ahead really). There also I found most of my IT colleagues( Chinese ) guys used metro for commuting and didnt own any car. Just to add, in China you really got some great cars Volkswagen/Toyota were just everywhere.

-POGU
Old 9th April 2007, 22:54   #118
BHPian

its the premise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I do not know if a common IT guy can really afford a flashy car (meaning 10+ Lakh). Its a kind of overly hyped that IT guys have lot of purchase power, etc.. I suspect it.
Old 9th April 2007, 23:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
I had been to Shenzhen in China lately, really a wonderful place with excellent road infrastructure( they are miles ahead really). There also I found most of my IT colleagues( Chinese ) guys used metro for commuting and didnt own any car. Just to add, in China you really got some great cars Volkswagen/Toyota were just everywhere.

-POGU
If we had good public transport, then most of us would prefer to take that & use our cars only on weekends. i know i would do that.
Old 9th April 2007, 23:45   #120
BHPian

with you any day

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
If we had good public transport, then most of us would prefer to take that & use our cars only on weekends. i know i would do that.
Unless our city traffic improves by leaps and bounds most of the folks will be with you.

Not only China, I think its same in Japan as well. Wish we had some of those super fast metros here too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks