Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2007, 14:04   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
1.depends which segment you set your eyes on and if your pockets are deep enough. If you cant afford it dont dream of it 2.Here the class of a guy comes into play.. dont have class then cant help you here

Godfather
1. IMO it is the other way round..You first dream of things you do not have AND then work your a** off to turn those dreams into reality.....Dreaming big is not a crime..but just stopping at dreaming without working to turn those dreams into reality is.

2. Does the Class of a guy depends on the car he drives ? Not in my book. Even dawood drives around in Bentleys and Benzes..does it make him classy ?
Old 8th April 2007, 17:16   #92
Senior - BHPian

Actually Howard, I don't want to drive around in something fast. It's the quest for knowledge thing.

Like I said, I've seen a lot of people who are well paid, in the software industry or otherwise, who seem to have no passions or likes of any kind. Not necessarily automobiles. It could be photography, wine-tasting, trekking, sculpture, whatever. But it isn't. And I don't want to be that sort of person. Assuming I ever get a job, I'd like to spend some amount of time and money on something I LIKE, be it track days, all-you-can-eat days, or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hopefully we'll still be around on this forum then.
Not the way I'm going, I won't.
Old 8th April 2007, 18:16   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Like I said, I've seen a lot of people who are well paid, in the software industry or otherwise, who seem to have no passions or likes of any kind. Not necessarily automobiles. It could be photography, wine-tasting, trekking, sculpture, whatever. But it isn't.
Dont go by the looks, most people don't show off their passions. I have seen lots of people like that, even been one of them during the 90s for some time. When you have responsibilities, one has to focus on that and get the job done, and some people get lots of responsibilities. But don't ever assume they are dopes without any passion. More than 90% of my colleagues or customers never knew anything about my hobbies and passion, still don't.

I still remember an incident from 11 years back where I had a section manager who was travelling internationally 20 days a month and working all the time when in office. We all thought she had no passion for anything else but work, basically no life. At a special dinner function once she was asked to do something else and she broke into a beautiful Tamil classical rendition and shocked everybody. Then she reveals that she has trained for years in classical music and that is how de-stresses after work. Now she is MD of an US MNC in India. People always have ways to de-stress through some passion, but they don't have to tell you what.
Old 8th April 2007, 18:41   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
People always have ways to de-stress through some passion, but they don't have to tell you what.
Very correct. One of my dour looking colleagues from Finance, PeeVee surprised us by playing his digital music compositions at a party - turns out he likes to create music (not remix) by mixing samples and tracks from different sources on his PC.

Then he gave us a further jolt with his VERY in-depth knowledge (not familiarity with) of Astrology. Of course he was very drunk for the dark secrets to come tumbling out...

Then there's this lawyer girl in our office - a miss-goody-two-shoes who one couldnt imagine was any good at anything except typing on her keyboard. Turns out she flies to Kenya every 2 months to spend a week treating patients at an AIDS camp or something like that.

Appearances can be very very deceptive. Tell me Zakkie's a car junkie when he walks around in his flowing robes and skullcap, and I'll say you're high.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th April 2007 at 21:01. Reason: typo
Old 8th April 2007, 20:05   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Like I said, I've seen a lot of people who are well paid, in the software industry or otherwise, who seem to have no passions or likes of any kind. Not necessarily automobiles. It could be photography, wine-tasting, trekking, sculpture, whatever.
Are U talking about ur IBM paid old man?
Old 8th April 2007, 20:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel that its all to do with the mindset of an individual. Do you want to enjoy life now or earn and enjoy later?

Is one comfortable at the current level of existence? Is it Inertia that holds someone to where they are?

I don't want to drive a big car when I'm 40 or 50. I want to start right now. I might not have the physical capacity (reflexes, eyesight, co-ordination etc) or I might not have the time (family, work). Why postpone something which you want to do today!!

I think one needs resolve to carry it out. Parents will say, "You are spending so much on a CAR?? You should be saving". Biwi will say "We need to buy house, pay EMI, school fees"

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
One life for yourself and one for your dreams.
You drift through the years and life seems tame,
Till one dream appears and love is its name.

And love is a stranger who'll beckon you on,
Don't think of the danger or the stranger is gone.

This dream is for you, so pay the price.
Make one dream come true, you only live twice.

(from James Bond 007 - You Only Live Twice, 1967)
Old 8th April 2007, 20:48   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
I personally feel that its all to do with the mindset of an individual. Do you want to enjoy life now or earn and enjoy later?

Is one comfortable at the current level of existence? Is it Inertia that holds someone to where they are?

I don't want to drive a big car when I'm 40 or 50. I want to start right now. I might not have the physical capacity (reflexes, eyesight, co-ordination etc) or I might not have the time (family, work). Why postpone something which you want to do today!!

I think one needs resolve to carry it out. Parents will say, "You are spending so much on a CAR?? You should be saving". Biwi will say "We need to buy house, pay EMI, school fees"

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
One life for yourself and one for your dreams.
You drift through the years and life seems tame,
Till one dream appears and love is its name.

And love is a stranger who'll beckon you on,
Don't think of the danger or the stranger is gone.

This dream is for you, so pay the price.
Make one dream come true, you only live twice.

(from James Bond 007 - You Only Live Twice, 1967)
Wonderful thought buddy, I agree. Also you need to enjoy because "KAL HO NA HO"

-POGU
Old 8th April 2007, 21:00   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Appearances can be very very defective.

I'm growing old! Would somebody do me the favour of editing that to deceptive?
Old 8th April 2007, 21:00   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Dont go by the looks, most people don't show off their passions.
I'm not going by looks. I never do. I am talking from experience. I have enough close friends, and family, in the IT industry. If things go according to (not my) plan, I will be in it too. So my statement is qualified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
depends which segment you set your eyes on and if your pockets are deep enough. If you cant afford it dont dream of it
I disagree. I dream of something, and maybe I will get it, if things go right and I do the right things. For reference, please ask Mr Varma Sr.

Last edited by adya33 : 9th April 2007 at 09:11.
Old 8th April 2007, 21:59   #100
BHPian

Nice to see even in a forum of motoring enthusiasts there are many that agree there can be passions outside the automobile!

I tend to agree that peoples passions are often hidden from all but a small core group. Some are very vocal about it, most just keep to themselves.

One thing we can notice is not only do passions differ from person to person, they also differ within same person from age to age. There was a time my dream was to wear a rolex watch, today I will not wear it even if gifted to me.

There are some passions, rightly or wrongly, get associated with 'neo-rich syndrome' and 'conspicous consumption'. I think driving flashy cars is one of them. In Indian context that would probably mean anything costing over Rs20L though that could be argued. Because cars cannot be hidden unlike watches, holidays etc. But that should not trouble a genuine enthusiast.

Whatever it is, let us live our dreams today who knows what happens tomorrow!
Old 8th April 2007, 22:00   #101
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
Thoughts of other members welcome on the above
-POGU
Since you invited my thoughts, here they are:

I am a computer professional for the last twenty-six years.

My vehicle is my style statement.
After nearly closing on a Hyundai Elantra, I chose Baleno VXi over NHC because of looks, performance, handling and recommendations from its Team-BHP fan following.

The NHC commands better resale value and image among my office colleagues who IMHO, don't know better. So while the choice may have been a trifle impractical, I stand by my choice without regrets.

If you personify a car as a human, I identify with the Jaguar XJ8 -- wide, sleek, roomy, fast and classically stylish without being avant garde; no boy racer, yet a spunky performer. As an IT professional, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new or used one if I still lived in Europe.

Ram
Old 8th April 2007, 22:08   #102
Senior - BHPian

Dream well v1p3r, there is nothing wrong in it. I admire your spirit. good going.
cheers
Old 8th April 2007, 22:17   #103
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well, I couldn't go through the entire 7 pages.... but... frankly I don't think its anything to do with IT Pros....

Basically people in jobs/ professionals don't buy flashy cars.... coz.. no matter how well they earn... they can't compete with their counterparts who are entrepreneurs.

exceptions are always there.....
Old 9th April 2007, 00:40   #104
Team-BHP Support

Well well... I went through the entire 7 or 8 odd pages. Makes for a fantastic reading. Gives a peek into the thought perspective of different people.

IMO, there is no one correct answer to it. Different people have different yardsticks to measure things. From my personal perspective, I drive a hatch. Can I drive a bigger car. I definitely can. So will I buy one soon? Maybe not just now. Because to me it is not very practical for so many reasons.

1. The city with its choked streets is a pain as it is. A bigger car is a bigger pain to manouever everyday if you drive yourself.
2. Parking is a pain. Unless you live in one of those upmarket residential areas (25-30k rent) where you have a big car porch or something it is a pain to everyday to take out and bring it back in.
3. My SPM who himself just recently graduated to a bigger car very recently will think "heck the guy is already overpaid"... and there goes my appraisal flying outta window!
4. Have you tried going to one of those small time shops to say, enquire about the cost of a couch or a divan or say a desi dessert coolers? If you get down from an auto you get a different quote and can negotiate better afterwards. The same quote gets higher if you drive down, and bargaining capacity is reduced (the guy won't budge much from his initial price). Drive down in a bigger car and you sure will get an astronomical quote. The moral? Everyone judges the paying capacity buy the looks... I do not think I need to bolster that stereotype further unnecessarily. It sounds lame but believe me this is also a perspective.

Of course todays desire may not remain so high tommorow. My SPM surely can afford a bigger, higher-end car. Probably his priorities today are elsewhere. He does not find it necessary anymore to own a huge car (or probably he also thinks about his pay hikes and looks at the car his VP drives...).

I used to love the RX100 and its exhaust gruff as a kid in school. At that time I could not afford one. Today when I hear one of those relics go past, sounding like a low flying MiG29 I just gnash my teeth and grumble at the racket it makes, and let it go past to restore the sanity around me. Desires have obviously changed.

Last edited by Zappo : 9th April 2007 at 00:42.
Old 9th April 2007, 02:24   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
4. Have you tried going to one of those small time shops to say, enquire about the cost of a couch or a divan or say a desi dessert coolers? If you get down from an auto you get a different quote and can negotiate better afterwards. The same quote gets higher if you drive down, and bargaining capacity is reduced (the guy won't budge much from his initial price). Drive down in a bigger car and you sure will get an astronomical quote. The moral? Everyone judges the paying capacity buy the looks... I do not think I need to bolster that stereotype further unnecessarily. It sounds lame but believe me this is also a perspective.
100% true. I tried a little experiment. Went to one shop in the car and was given a high price. So we parked the car and took a rickshaw to another shop and surprise surprise the price had fallen.

The same is also true if you wear fancy clothes. Wear simple clothes and you will usually get lower prices and beggers will also avoid you .

Most Viewed