Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2007, 01:13   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
of course such particular people have very compelling reasons to not buy a flashy car. As paying tax is sacrilege in their way of life, it certainly would be difficult explaining to the taxman certain pointed questions on how he managed to buy a flashy car in the first place.
The difference is, unlike these guys, IT pros pay their taxes. So they don't have to hide from the taxman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I do not know if a common IT guy can really afford a flashy car (meaning 10+ Lakh). Its a kind of overly hyped that IT guys have lot of purchase power, etc.. I suspect it.
Please read carefully. I have posted that this thread is about those who CAN afford those cars but don't buy them. And in case you think IT spending power is overhyped, please visit BLR. This city is BUILT on IT. And on real estate, but that in turn is built on IT.

Come to think of it, a flashy car needn't be 10-15 lakhs. You could have a Zen with a Baleno engine and 15" rims, for the price of a Santro. But would someone buy it?
Old 10th April 2007, 01:22   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
The difference is, unlike these guys, IT pros pay their taxes. So they don't have to hide from the taxman.
Exactly. That also means lot less of "disposable income" is left for a "flashy car".
Old 10th April 2007, 01:30   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
Exactly. That also means lot less of "disposable income" is left for a "flashy car".
I have 3 neighbours who are worth more than Rs 100 cr each. One drives a black Cielo which wouldn't look out of place in Shivajinagar. The richest of them drives a white E240 which is often mistaken for a taxi.
Old 10th April 2007, 01:52   #124
BHPian

hey v1p3r,

i didn't get it. I was referring to your point about IT pros not evading / not being able to evade taxes.
Old 10th April 2007, 02:52   #125
Senior - BHPian

My point is, when IT pros have enough money to treat the taxman as a mosquito-like annoyance, they still drive crappy cars, for the most part. Samurai and Ajmat are two instant exceptions to the rule, though I'm sure the taxman is more than just a mosquito to them!
Old 10th April 2007, 05:21   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I guess you are right. This thread got so long people forgot the original premise.

Folks, this thread is about whether IT pros buy flashy cars even when they can afford it.
It seems bangy IT pros are really well paid.

I don't think avarage IT pros in Pune can afford an Accord after investing in real estate.

Tell me bangy guys.. I am ready to shift to banglore when I get back to India.
Old 10th April 2007, 08:25   #127
Senior - BHPian

Owning a flashy car has its share of problems in India. A typical Indian IT guy would probably like to avoid the dreaded 'nazar' or 'dhristi' from his fellow 'crab mentality' Indians.
Old 10th April 2007, 08:30   #128
Senior - BHPian

I thought san & ajmat were from different support fields to IT.

Yes, my neighbour is a Software Engineer, so is his wife & his M-I-L. And they all commute by a 2 year old M800. Thank you.
Old 10th April 2007, 08:36   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point is, when IT pros have enough money to treat the taxman as a mosquito-like annoyance, they still drive crappy cars,
Ahem... I am also in IT.. and i dont drive crappy cars.. You also clearly know that.. for some people a car is just a means of transport.. getting them from one place to another.. If you see the Oracle parking lot you will find
1 CRV, 1 Skoda, 2 Lancers, 1 Safari.. The rest all are either santros other maruti products < 5 lacs.. I am talking below esteems and balenos here.

Godfather

Last edited by Godfather : 10th April 2007 at 08:38.
Old 10th April 2007, 08:50   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point is, when IT pros have enough money to treat the taxman as a mosquito-like annoyance, they still drive crappy cars, for the most part.
Could you explain WHY they should spend more on cars ?
In my opinion,
their money = their choice
Old 10th April 2007, 08:55   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Could you explain WHY they should spend more on cars ?
In my opinion,
their money = their choice

Exactly.. In Bangalore like you mentioned.. People are investing in Real estate..which to me makes more sense.. at least they have appreciation and get better returns also for the amount of money invested.. Try selling a Flashy car..

Godfather
Old 10th April 2007, 09:23   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai and Ajmat are two instant exceptions to the rule, though I'm sure the taxman is more than just a mosquito to them!
I guess we pay lot of tax, but not sure about mosquito part, they just leave us alone, may be throw a scrap or two back. Last time I got 200 bucks in tax returns. Don't know about Ajmat, but I ain't that rich. Since I am in a tiny private company I don't enjoy the fruits of share market via ESOP. That's where the big bucks are earned.
Old 10th April 2007, 09:41   #133
Team-BHP Support

This is what you see in my companies parking lot.

Tata Indica DLS - 2 nos.
Tata Indica Xeta - 1 no.
Hyundai Santro - 2 nos.
Maruti Wagon R CNG - 1 no.
Honda City ZX - 1 no.
Honda City Type1 - 1 no.
Ford Ikon Flair - 1 no.
Fiat Palio 1.6 - 1 no.
Maruti Van - 1 no.
Maruti Esteem VX - 1 no
Old 10th April 2007, 10:01   #134
Team-BHP Support

that gives a good idea on what cars people generally buy. I think we can list out a few cars which we see in our company's parking lots.

should give info on buying patterns based on industry. I'm in the semiconductor line and these are the cars in my lot:

2 Toyota corollas
2 Hyundai Getz
2 Maruti Alto
1 Toyota Qualis
1 Mahindra Scorpio
2 Hyundai santro
2 ford ikon's
1 Mitsubishi Cedia
1 Zen Estilo
1 Chevrolet Aveo

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th April 2007 at 10:05.
Old 10th April 2007, 10:03   #135
BHPian

I would definitely say that Indian IT pro's in North America are a bit conservative when it comes to buying cars.
I'm talking about Canada, so it's a bit different from the States, not too much though.
Say you have 20 grands to spare on a car. In that range the safe bet would be to buy an Accord, Camry, RAV4, CRV (used though) or new ones like the Civic or the Corolla.
However, for the same price, you can buy exciting cars like the Lancer Ralliart (we don't get the Evo here ), the Subaru WRX. In fact, the Subaru because of its AWD capabilities is one of the best cars to buy in Canada, where we get a lot of snow.
But I'd say 90% of the IT pro's who'd want to buy a car in that price range would stick with the Hondas and the Toyotas for obvious reasons. And if you are slightly richer, they always go for a Lexus or an Acura or a huge Japanese SUV. No one dares to go for expensive American cars or even good European ones (VW Passat, Audi A6, 3/5 Series, Buick, Lincoln, Mustang etc).

Most Viewed