Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 15:29   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
If you don't mind, how much this car buying/building project cost you?? This is not OT btw.
Well, it's working out to more than I've earned and saved, which is why it's not being driven around yet!
Old 11th April 2007, 19:30   #197
Senior - BHPian

Dont know about elsewhere but in Kolkata, the lack of flashy cars is mostly due to the lack of awareness amongst the larger IT crowd. Moreover lack of parking space and congestion on the roads and also wanting to spend bare minimum on fuel and repairs have also got something to do with it (although on the affordability part, there is no doubt). Higher priority seems to be real-estate (which are perceived to be value appreciating rather than vehicles which loose value)
Old 11th April 2007, 22:09   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Dont know about elsewhere but in Kolkata, the lack of flashy cars is mostly due to the lack of awareness amongst the larger IT crowd. Moreover lack of parking space and congestion on the roads and also wanting to spend bare minimum on fuel and repairs have also got something to do with it (although on the affordability part, there is no doubt). Higher priority seems to be real-estate (which are perceived to be value appreciating rather than vehicles which loose value)
It is more of lack of attitude rather than awareness...Kolkata is such a city where u feel u can do without a car...i mean u dont feel that necessity...but this attitude changes if u go out of kolkata...

Abhi
Old 12th April 2007, 10:29   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Higher priority seems to be real-estate (which are perceived to be value appreciating rather than vehicles which loose value)
Tell me about it... i had to put up with the same from my in-laws when we informed them about our car plans !!
Old 12th April 2007, 10:38   #200
Senior - BHPian

I just have 2 comments to make...

1) IT professionals keep on finding and rectifying the BUGS in the system and they know that most of it that they do goes into the programs of these MNC car cos...who would pay a hefty price for the Bug that they know abt in the car!!

2) On a serious note, IT guys frequently travel abroad for months and years, why would someone invent 10L in a car which would be used hardly for 2 months on an avg and remain idle for the remaining time.
Old 12th April 2007, 11:15   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
2) On a serious note, IT guys frequently travel abroad for months and years, why would someone invent 10L in a car which would be used hardly for 2 months on an avg and remain idle for the remaining time.
, This is precisely the reason of the booming used car market in bangalore...A friend of mine visited a used car market in cox town sometime back and was telling that there were swifts, wagonRs which were just months new....and was priced 50-60K lesser...basically as good as new...

Abhi
Old 12th April 2007, 12:18   #202
BHPian

One of the reasons is that IT professionals don't earn as much as the hype around them suggests... A self-employed person or businessman can more easily buy an expensive car in cash in his company's name & benefit from the depreciation as well..

Very few IT professionals can fork out 20L+ cash for a 2nd or 3rd car.

rgds,
Rajiv
Old 12th April 2007, 12:28   #203
Senior - BHPian

The vast majority of IT professionals hail from the middle classes in India, where eating, making babies, working hard and buying a house are priorities, all noteworthy i might add.Buying a flashy car , even if providence has provided them with the income to do so?.Oh No!.What will my family think?....lol!...That's why India is where it's at and China is where it's at!.Look at the average Chinese and the pride they take in developing infrastructure, unlike in India where even educated people throw garbage out their gate onto the street!.Touche'!.
Old 12th April 2007, 12:37   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
, This is precisely the reason of the booming used car market in bangalore...A friend of mine visited a used car market in cox town sometime back and was telling that there were swifts, wagonRs which were just months new....and was priced 50-60K lesser...basically as good as new...

Abhi
Tell me about it !! Its the first question that came in my mind when I decided to buy a car. So when I bought my first car, I kept my bro's requirements in mind and bought a new car, knowing fully well that I will have to part with the car sooner or later. It makes no sense to sell the car a few months after you bought it.

Then after the trip overseas, I just went and bought a used Baleno
Old 12th April 2007, 12:59   #205
Senior - BHPian

I think times are changing,look at the number of honda civics on the road,seems as though the civic retails in the 5-6 lakh segment.

When the article was written what were the choices we had actually,IT folks earn money but could they afford the beemers[import option back then] and mercs .Also salaries are rising and incomes have risen from what they where a year back.

With rise in interest rates almost becoming a bi-weekly affair,the economy class segment would be the hardest hit.The premium segment buyers would still most likely be able to afford to go in for a car.We may just see the lower segment cars reporting lower sales while the higher segment cars doing well for some time.

Here's another article:
Top-end cars zip ahead of mass models with 56% growth

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 12th April 2007 at 13:12.
Old 12th April 2007, 13:45   #206
Senior - BHPian

IT pros are also Indians, remember. And inspite of the profession and the huge pay packets they get (debatable), the attitude is still Indian, which in general is for saving and against splurging and flashing wealth or being loud.

The attitude is ofcourse changing with the current generation (those in their teens or just joining the workforce). Mainly because this generation was fortunate to easily have most of what they desired, apart from the basic needs. Add to the list a better economy, higher salaries etc. While things were a wee bit tight for the previous gen (mine) and quite tough for the generation before that, which resulted in a conservative outlook to life.

And BTW, what is flashy anyway ? To me, among the cars available in India, flashy starts with the Benz lineup. The Accords/Camrys and Civics are also cars I like and might be almost there in the flashy range, but just dont make the cut for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite
That's why India is where it's at and China is where it's at!.Look at the average Chinese and the pride they take in developing infrastructure, unlike in India where even educated people throw garbage out their gate onto the street!.Touche'!.
Hmmm. Somebody had to bring it in, however irrelevant it might be. Throwing garbage onto streets is about poor attitude and lack of civic sense. And for God's sake, what does it have to do about a person's choice of cars.

@nick, you seem to forget a basic thing. India is a democracy, while China is communist. The Govt. can't steamroll their way ignoring the public, like they do in China. I would rather have a less developed infrastructure than have a Govt that uses tanks/guns on their students/citizens (a la Tianmenn square).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th April 2007 at 13:54.
Old 12th April 2007, 14:48   #207
Senior - BHPian

Well, not ALL IT pros go abroad, and NOT all IT pros buy cars. Yes, like it has been pointed out, they invest in houses first, forget cars. Wheras, some kids / young people, who dont have to worry about financial implications, splurge and buy flashy cars. In the company I work, there are about 50+ corrollas, about 20 Skodas, (with 2 RS),2 sonatas 1 Endevour, 2 civics, and about 100+ citys, not to mention the innumerable Santros, Fords etc etc. The point being this, depending on the point in career, and the point in the company, people go for flashy cars. young, and single - flashy car, middle age family (no stock options) small / medium car, old, family settled, HUGE stcok otions, big cars. I must point that there is this one corolla, taht is possitivly ugly as hell... eeaaagghh!
Old 12th April 2007, 15:01   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Well, not ALL IT pros go abroad, and NOT all IT pros buy cars.

Yes, like it has been pointed out, they invest in houses first, forget cars.

Wheras, some kids / young people, who dont have to worry about financial implications, splurge and buy flashy cars.

In the company I work, there are about 50+ corrollas, about 20 Skodas, (with 2 RS),2 sonatas 1 Endevour, 2 civics, and about 100+ citys, not to mention the innumerable Santros, Fords etc etc.

The point being this, depending on the point in career, and the point in the company, people go for flashy cars.

young, and single - flashy car,

middle age family (no stock options) small / medium car,

old, family settled, HUGE stcok otions, big cars.

I must point that there is this one corolla, taht is possitivly ugly as hell... eeaaagghh!

i have to completely agree and this reply sums up well.
Old 12th April 2007, 22:29   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Tell me about it... i had to put up with the same from my in-laws when we informed them about our car plans !!
He He you probably would have given them a heart attack by mentioning further that you are not just buying a car but a Ford Ikon!! Didn't they tell u about FE resale etc. Mine did, even before marriage (as I bought the car in our courtship period), thankfully my Dad did the talking for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I just have 2 comments to make...

You are probably right, cos right now I am at Dallas (where I will be for a year or so) and my cars are in Kolkata and being taken care of by a Dad who says "if you want to keep a car scratchless keep it in the showcase" So I am happy that I dont have an Accord or a Merc! (and none of my cars are thankfully not flashy!)
Old 12th April 2007, 22:43   #210
Senior - BHPian

Excuse me, but have you left your car with your dad & expect him to care for it like you do ? I can't imagine a scenario like that.

1100D, i love you & respect you, but do not put that kind of load into your old man, ok ?

Last edited by esteem_lover : 12th April 2007 at 22:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks