Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2015, 19:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide

I see lot of Swift in iM-4. Not a good thing in my opinion. I like Swift as a hatch and I like it a lot. In fact, until New i20 showed up, I thought Swift was the best looking hatch there is. A crown that is wrestled off by new i20 now. I think more than iM-4, it would be ix25 which would pose a threat to Ecosport/Duster.
Old 7th March 2015, 20:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

It looks more of an Alto on steroids with the UV looks.
But IM-4 is conceptualized as a Mahindra S 101 rival and a replacement of the Jimny. IM-4 is acronym for iconic Mini 4X4.
This resembles the Kia Soul, take a look.
Attached Images

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th March 2015 at 20:34.
Old 7th March 2015, 20:50   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
. I think more than iM-4, it would be ix25 which would pose a threat to Ecosport/Duster.
S Cross will rival Renault's Duster/ Terrano and Hyndai's ix25. Maruti's YBA will take on EcoSport.
IMO, iM-4 platform will be below the YBA.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 07:59   #49
Team-BHP Support

And its quite surprising that Tata has provided no update to the Nexon concept at Geneva. I dont know how active have they been on that front. My take: they should be putting in more weight there rather than on the Hexa effort.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:23   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And its quite surprising that Tata has provided no update to the Nexon concept at Geneva.

I have a feeling TATAs might prefer to wait and watch the developments in this segment. With the entry of Hyundai and Maruti with products like i20 Cross, ix25, YBA, S-Cross - the segment might change big time in the next few months leading upto the Auto Expo.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:32   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
S Cross will rival Renault's Duster/ Terrano and Hyndai's ix25. Maruti's YBA will take on EcoSport.
IMO, iM-4 platform will be below the YBA.
Are you sure that im4 is entirely different from yba? Suzuki says that im4 will be launched in 2016. And there is no other mules of any suzuki suv spotted other than yba. So, imo, im4 may be the concept form of yba. And yba may come in 4x4 form as well. But news about the new platform on which im4 is built is confusing. Then yba may not be coming on the swift platform.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:37   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Are you sure that im4 is entirely different from yba? Suzuki says that im4 will be launched in 2016. And there is no other mules of any suzuki suv spotted other than yba. So, imo, im4 may be the concept form of yba. And yba may come in 4x4 form as well. But news about the new platform on which im4 is built is confusing. Then yba may not be coming on the swift platform.

Thought YBA was going to be a shortened Vitara (as the spy pics also reveal) rather than based on the 'ladder on frame' IM4 concept. IM4 might be a rugged little (it's way smaller than YRA as well!) off-roader, which IMHO won't make it to our markets.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:20   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thought YBA was going to be a shortened Vitara (as the spy pics also reveal) rather than based on the 'ladder on frame' IM4 concept. IM4 might be a rugged little (it's way smaller than YRA as well!) off-roader, which IMHO won't make it to our markets.
It's still not clear whether the new platform that Suzuki showcased is a ladder-frame or not, though it looks like such a chassis in the pics. The main reason is, the IK-2 (YRA) is also based on the same new platform! I don't think Suzuki will build a premium hatch on a ladder-frame chassis. Now I think the new platform may be something similar to VW's MQB platform, on which cars from A-segment to SUVs can be built.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 9th March 2015 at 12:22.
Old 25th March 2015, 07:40   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla enters the Crossover segment- testing the electric model X .
Tesla has said that it will start deliveries of the Model X in the third quarter of 2015.

Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide-ph324009995.jpg

Quote:
The crossover, lightly disguised for testing, has the prototype's upward-opening "falcon wing" doors, and a hookup for a towing hitch -- a feature, never before offered in an EV, that Tesla had promised

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...on-calif-roads

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th March 2015 at 07:43.
Old 25th March 2015, 08:35   #55
Team-BHP Support

Is it because of the disguise or the angle, but this crossover looks like a sedan on stilts, rather than a hatch!

There is a bulge on the boot end somehow seen in both the pics.
Old 10th April 2015, 08:13   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Super car maker Aston Martin confirms a Crossover( previewed by the DBX Concept) is in works. Aims to return to profit during the course of its revival plan. A key part of the turnaround will be the automaker’s first crossover. Could use Mercedes-AMG Engines .Expect a 2019 debut.

-DBX concept
Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide-astonmartindbx2970x548c970x0970x548.jpg

Quote:
Quote:
Aston Martin will develop two new platforms, add a crossover, refresh its supercar lineup and leverage its technology alliance with Daimler as part of its six-year plan to make the 100-year-old British brand consistently profitable.
the SUV would be joined by a new sedan and a third model. All three will share one of the new platforms
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...eys-to-revival

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th April 2015 at 08:35.
Old 10th April 2015, 09:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

Cross overs, CUV or any other term used, still doesn't hide the fact. The vehicle is a up on the stilts hatchback. Not sure how can any of these be called utility vehicles? What is the utility in them? Ability to cross speed breakers? The underpinnings are still utility hatch, the chassis is not beefed up, the drive train has no ability to hold higher torque, 4x4 capability or enough articulation to cross obstacles. When SUV trend started, it involved jacking up and beefing up a family station wagon, increasing the horsepower and torque, providing towing, and the ability to carry 5-7 passengers, along with substantial cargo in relative comfort over varying terrain. SUV were designed to help the outdoors man keep a single car instead of a utility vehicle and a family sedan.
Now car makers have started this strange phenomena of jacking up small sub 4 meter hatchbacks by a few mm and calling them go anywhere vehicles. These cars (all front wheel drive), have little torque or bhp figures to propel themselves and 4 people, forget the ability to tow or cruise in comfort. Show them a slush pit or undulating terrain or god forbid a rocky dirt track and the utility pretense jumps out of the window.
Lets not mistake a small SUV with a so called cross over SUV, a small SUV is a little smaller in size than a full sized SUV, but a cross over is nothing but a hatchback with plastic cladding and spare wheel mounted on the hatch. Kind of reminds me of the funny car mods people used to do with Maruti 800 and paste 4x4 and 16 valve turbo stickers!!
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 11:34   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, if speculations come true, then the entry level hatch will be have a 'Cross' avatar too.

Suzuki had displayed in 2014 Paris Auto Show the Celerio in cladding and fibre skirts and looked like the 'Cross' version.black body kit( Matte-finished grille, side body mouldings, wheel arch extensions, roof spoiler and dual 6-spoke alloy wheels complete the look of the car.)
Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide-suzukicelerio.jpg

Now it is highly speculated such a version will show up in the 2016 Auto show as 'Celerio Cross' !.

http://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-celerio-cross-rendered/
Old 10th April 2015, 12:23   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Guys, if speculations come true, then the entry level hatch will be have a 'Cross' avatar too.
A Celerio Cross-over will be stretching the concept too far, having such an un-imaginative profile and 1L engie. Rather, such a design on the Swift/Ritz platform may be much better. How about the Cross-over based on the Ritz, with elongated and raised bonnet, flattened roof and convex rear?
Attached Thumbnails
Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide-suzukisplash12_8_2.jpg  

Old 10th April 2015, 13:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The vehicle is a up on the stilts hatchback.
It is nothing but a marketing fad that is in the process getting caught on worldwide and everyone wants to milk the customers by giving the same hatchback at higher price.

And the customers are swallowing it hook, line and sinker!
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed