Team-BHP - Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/153496-crossovers-cuv-new-trend-worldwide.html)

A new trend in automobiles is seen world wide, in US, Europe and not different in India too is the growing demand for CUV's a segment - a vehicle that is built on a passenger-car chassis, drivetrain and suspension - in most cases it would remind of an 'hatch on stilts'. This craze is worldwide and India is no exception.

This trend mosly in Europe and Asia is now seen even in the US but ofcourse in relative terms. For the very first time, since decades, in US the Sedan market has been surpassed by the Compact UV's.
Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide-20140430_largest_segments_tl.jpg

The worldwide ( Europe and Asia) trend on small SUV rising, sedans takes a hit - the same is seen in India with most manufacturers getting into the CUV wagon. All have cut out plans and the onslaught would beigin in 2015.
In India Renault is the trend setter in this segment with Duster literally ruling the market until Ford launched the sub- compact SUV - Ecosport.
This is what is happening in Europe and the pattern will be similar in emerging markets with India being no different to the trend.
In India Ford began selling a subcompact SUV called the EcoSport in India and other countries last year( < 4m trend). Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra and the Global giants VW, Honda are already released plans of joining the race. Additionally In India a diesel mill is the a must for the CUV to be a success.

So the aim here is to understand the CUV offers before just jumping into the trend.

1. Understand that the Crossover is always based on a car platform. It would mostly feel like an elevated hatchback with higher CG and good ground clearance ( useful in negotiating humps and water logging conditions). Sitting up higher, you can see further down the road. Sometimes, you can even see over other traffic.
This point is the only advantage in choosing a CUV over a Sedan.

2.Due to its higher CG, it is necessary to understand this carefully.Recognize a CUV is not designed to make fast, sharp turns, and it handles differently than a low-slung sedan or hatchback. Increased GC relates to higher CG which affects high speed stability.

3.Because it is a Crossover - it does not do neither as well as a pure sedan nor a pure SUV.

4.Avoid overloads. Remember that luggage or even passengers further raise the center of gravity, so slow down even more when the vehicle is full.

Sedans on the other hand are outright winners when it comes to handling and maneuverability, normally with better space and well planted in most driving conditions.
So in short , when buying a CUV weigh its advantages and respect its shortcomings and guranteed you will be a satisfied owner. Yes use your Head and follow your heart when in an Sedan Vs CUV dilemma.

Almost every decade has had its favourite car and CUV is the one for the moment!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Moved to the Indian forum as it's very much an emerging trend here too.

While the CUV market is big, I wouldnt necessarily say it is a 'new' trend. The first gen Honda CRV I think was launched in 1997, Ford Escape in 2000, Toyota Highlander I think in early 2000s, Nissan joined the race in the mid 2000s (Rogue, Murano) etc. and so on. So the CUVs have been selling big for a long time. And over the years more and more models got added.
Perhaps it is noteworthy that Ford Explorer ditched its ladder frame in favor of a monocoque with the current generation.
I would say this was a 'new' trend in the mid 2000s, but not anymore.

Definitely this trend is Godsend for India. Even with all the road projects, I am sure we will have enough bad roads or at least bad patches for the next two decades to justify crossovers. Also they make immense economic sense compared to true blue SUVs.

Author- extremely happy owner of a humble crossover , Ecosport.

When my sister went to U.S. last to last year, she was advised to buy a CUV by most of the firangi folks because as per them, a CUV is safer and more comfortable than a Sedan and not as bulky to move around in or park as an SUV. And since she's a girl a CUV is better suited to her for some reason.

While the above is not true but if the society starts believing in something like this CUV trends wouldn't be surprising.

A colleague in my office told me that the reason her husband bought her a Duster against a Rapid was because Duster is safer. I don't know how it is safer when the top-end Rapid would've been a great car to drive, not to mention safer as well. Its a notion mostly.

Oh and another colleague picked up an Ecosport only and only because there are some areas in Ghaziabad where he used to scrape the underbelly of his Santro. While he loved the new Honda City but it was only the GC issue which made him buy an Ecosport. I don't understand how could someone buy an Ecosport over such a nice car like the City.

EDIT: And may I add that when my dad had finalized Honda City (top model) every other guy in his office was disappointed because an Ecosport or a Duster were more suited for Mumbai roads as per them. If driven carefully, I don't think sedans are incapable of handling bad roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 (Post 3487515)
I would say this was a 'new' trend in the mid 2000s, but not anymore.

The May 2014 statistics show for the first time in decades the CUV has overtaken the Sedans. The same story is seen in Europe and In India we all know the story.
The Crossover trend is here to stay and all brand including the Luxury ones cannot ignore this trend and hence have released plans to cater to this segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 3487528)
The May 2014 statistics show for the first time in decades the CUV has overtaken the Sedans. The same story is seen in Europe and In India we all know the story.
The Crossover trend is here to stay and all brand including the Luxury ones cannot ignore this trend and hence have released plans to cater to this segment.

The monocoque BMW X5/X3 - on sale since early 2000s, Lexus RX, Lexus' first CUV - on sale since late 1990s, I think second gen onwards M class also has been sporting a unibody. The industry including luxury logos knew CUVs are the future and have been churning out CUVs for well over 10 years.

So Volkman dont get me wrong, there is no dispute that CUVs are here to stay, but the point is this is not something that just happened now or in the last few years. Which is why if you read deeper the CUVs that outsold sedans are all into their 3 or 4th generations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 3487526)
If driven carefully, I don't think sedans are incapable of handling bad roads.

That is the point. These cross overs can handle rough roads easily than a sedan. I went for a TD of duster and the sales execs took the car to a bad stretch for a demo to explain the capability of vehicle. I remember my cousins Civic struggling to cross a hump with 4 men on board without scrapping its bottom. Heard same story about friends vento.

Quote:

When my sister went to U.S. last to last year, she was advised to buy a CUV by most of the firangi folks because as per them, a CUV is safer and more comfortable than a Sedan and not as bulky to move around in or park as an SUV. And since she's a girl a CUV is better suited to her for some reason.

A colleague in my office told me that the reason her husband bought her a Duster against a Rapid was because Duster is safer. I don't know how it is safer when the top-end Rapid would've been a great car to drive, not to mention safer as well. Its a notion mostly.

How is it safer ? If the general size and mass are similar to a sedan, the safety will not be much different. Bigger vehicles come out safer vs a smaller one, but we're not talking about full size SUVs here.

Quote:

I don't understand how could someone buy an Ecosport over such a nice car like the City.

I for one differ. I have no CUV in my family , relatives but I understand the predicament. Despite all talk of investing in road infrastructure, we have so much bad roads - and bad speedbreakers, it's a heart-crushing sound one endures when your beloved sedan or hatchback hits its belly.

I have a Figo and Linea in the family, both have scraped on high speedbreakers several times - and despite there being a legal specification on how to make speedbumps, most speedbumps are in violation of the law. Too high and too short.

Hence the desire for a high ground clearance vehicle is justified. For holiday trips and such, that's even more of a factor, where you don't know what kinds of roads you might encounter.

The CUV trend is not new. As others noted, the Honda CRV was called a soft-roader and similar vehicles have existed since early 2000s, if not earlier still. The difference between then and now is pricing. CRV is not exactly a inexpensive, plus it was petrol only.

The new crop of CUVs are more compact (a few existed before, Suzuki Jimny for example) but were never big sellers. Along with the size reduction, comes a price reduction which is what has spurred a renewed interest in soft-roaders.

I spent a weekend in one of these (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ay-bmw-x1.html). While the car was fun in a way, I didn't get the whole point of it. Basically:

- It doesn't have any more space than a regular hatch or sedan (even less, in some cases)
- It cannot handle bad roads as well as an SUV
- It cannot handle good roads as well as a sedan

So who would buy these, and why exactly?

Here is Suzuki's plans on the CUV onslaught starting Mid 2015.

After release of the crossover in the form of SX4 S Cross, Suzuki is set to be fast tracking a range of CUV's. Starting this trend Suzuki will preview the iV-4, in its production form shortly, where it will reach its destined markets by mid 2015.
Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide-iv4concept11l.jpg

Quote:

The launch of the iV-4 — its production name is unclear, though a return of the Vitara badge and all the equity contained therein is not out of the question
Quote:

The three vehicles in question will be the existing Nissan Qashqai]-rivalling S-Cross, the more rugged iV-4 (pictured top and below in concept guise) and the reborn Jimny Sierra, which will return to the market in the next few months almost unchanged after being discontinued, but now equipped with electronic stability control
Specific to India, known plans are that Maruti will bring in the S cross in early 2015, and the sub-compact CUV XA Alpha and its variants in 2016. Suzuki's iV- 4 is not yet known if it is destined for India.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/298663/s...from-mid-2015/

I think the primary reason the CUV market is growing because somewhere it is more comfortable. While we were planning to buy a car for my wife, we had almost booked Vento. But then we took a test drive of Duster. The extra space inside the car and the big boot was a big plus. The new styling also added to that. High Ground clearance is a major deciding factor as we know that the Delhi Gurgaon roads are broken half the time in the stretch that we drive in.
Am not saying Vento was bad. It was a real good car. But we are big (and I mean size...lol) people, so we need space and extra space is always welcome. Plus it had everything else that we needed for our daily drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 (Post 3487515)
While the CUV market is big, I wouldnt necessarily say it is a 'new' trend. The first gen Honda CRV I think was launched in 1997, Ford Escape in 2000, Toyota Highlander I think in early 2000s, Nissan joined the race in the mid 2000s (Rogue, Murano) etc. and so on. So the CUVs have been selling big for a long time.

I believe the trend may have been started by the Toyota RAV4 (1994). Or perhaps the Mitsubishi Pajero SWB / Junior? Not quite sure.

By the way, the Suzuki Jimny has been in production since 1968 :D

CUV's should be touted as Made for India

I mean, seriously, I have an EcoSport (upgraded from the Dolphin Honda City), and the EcoSport is just a brilliant package. The Size is perfect for Indian cities(don't have to think twice about going into the crowded parts of the city), and the ground clearance is just amazing, Puddles, rocks, whatever the Indian roads throw at it, you don't need to give a damn about it.
and Not to forget, you get good power with these CUV's, so even from an enthusiast's point of view you're not missing out on much.

Most of the CUV's on road here also have comparatively higher seating like the tall boy hatches. This makes them more suitable for our traffic situation, for both tall and short people. The layed back seating in most sedans, though suitable for cornering and high speed runs doesn't provide the comfort and roominess the CUV's give without being too large.

Rahul