Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 22:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Porsche Macan SUV launched in India @ Rs. 1 crore

Do you guys really think that people who would've paid 80 lakhs wouldn't be able to pay 1 Cr for the premium tag it carries. I think the premium luxury car makers don't really need a strategy to sell cars in India. Price them ridiculously high and the car suddenly becomes more exclusive.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 22:48   #17
BHPian

The Macan is priced more than the Cayenne because all the optional extras which come with the Cayenne is standard fitment in Macan,with porsche high optional equipment prices a similar spec Cayanne will cost lakhs more.
Old 25th July 2014, 00:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
The Macan is priced more than the Cayenne because all the optional extras which come with the Cayenne is standard fitment in Macan,with porsche high optional equipment prices a similar spec Cayanne will cost lakhs more.
Yeah that would appear to be the case. Only way it would make sense. Adding all the options in the Cayenne can be a substantial percentage of the original basic price.
Old 25th July 2014, 11:57   #19
BHPian

I read a preview on this car i think in 3 different magazines some 8 months back that the Macan will be priced competitively against SUVS like Evoque, ML, X3, Q5 etc. I seriously feel the price is just exorbitantly overpriced. I was expecting nothing more than 80L on road. All Porsche cars in India are priced over a Crore.
Instead of making them little more affordable, they like to stick to their stupid legacy.

Last edited by mod_to_odd : 25th July 2014 at 11:58.
Old 26th July 2014, 13:29   #20
BHPian

saw the review on tv yesterday. great guns, this one. i guess sohistication moves a notch higher than cayenne.
PS : now i know what the elders meant when they said that all you need in life are the basic "roti, kapda aur Macan"
00nuts001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 13:57   #21
BANNED

The humongous cost I guess is then justified by the many extras they've put in.

Hypothetically speaking though, shouldn't it be left to the customer to choose if he/she wants those extras? It seems as if these extras are being forced upon by Porsche.
As somebody interested in entering the Porsche brand with an SUV, a guy would like a substantially cheaper option than the Cayenne which Macan fails to do, thanks to this Ridiculous choice by Porsche India.
Old 26th July 2014, 16:25   #22
BHPian

Reminds of the Land Rover case in China.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...in-response-to

Hope someday companies in India too would become answerable.
Old 26th July 2014, 18:13   #23
BHPian

i think macan would do well only for people who want to flaunt the excess of money which the cayenne probably ain't able to do

seems like a 40" TV is more expensive than it's 55" sibling only because it has a few extra features.

I honestly find the pricing ridiculous considering it was supposed to come in the price range of evoque and q5
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 21:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

One Q- what does the Macan have that the 3.0 TDI Q5 doesnt? hardly anything....and they ar eessentially the same cars underneath. The Q5 fully loaded version is around 52L Ex showroom, so an addtional 48 L just for the prosche badge and air suspension!!!! C'mon Porsche!
Old 26th July 2014, 22:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
One Q- what does the Macan have that the 3.0 TDI Q5 doesnt? hardly anything....and they ar eessentially the same cars underneath.
For sure, the Macan is overpriced here. But calling it the same as a Q5 is a little harsh. Its like JC calling the 911 a Beetle.

To quote Top Gear UK

Quote:
Hang on, hang on. Isn't this just an Audi Q5 in Porsche drag?
It isn't. The Macan does borrow its underpinnings from Audi's middlemost SUV, but what's most interesting about the Porsche isn't how similar it is to the Q5, but how different. Porsche says two-thirds of the Macan's components are entirely original: in effect, only the aluminium base is shared with Audi. Just look at the interior: pure Porsche. Tall, button-laden console, triple-binnacle instrument cluster, steering wheel borrowed from the 918 Spyder. It's all immaculately finished and, as ever with Porsche, the info-nav gubbinry is beyond reproach. Entirely new, too, are the suspension, transmission, bodywork... and engines

So should I buy one?
If you're after a sporty, five-seat crossover and you've got the cash, go for it. Even with its merely stubbly chest, this is the best-driving SUV in the world right now, feeling more mechanical than the Evoque and Range Rover Sport, more deeply engineered than anything from BMW, Audi or Merc. Not to mention faster than the lot. Yes, the Macan is more SUV than sports car, but it's quite an SUV.

Of course, plenty of you already have. Bought one, that is. There's already a giant waiting list for the Macan: even if you place your order today, you won't get your car until 2015...
Source
Old 26th July 2014, 22:17   #26
Team-BHP Support

Porsche can afford to price the Macan since it has a full order book and plus an inventory of Cayennes. If no one buys it here, not an issue. They will probably bring the forthcoming 4 cyl version more competitively later on
Old 26th July 2014, 23:23   #27
Team-BHP Support

^^And normally they have a base price, with every little luxury provided as optional add-ons. But I believe the package in India is pre-configured with almost all options included as a part of the standard package.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:56   #28
BHPian

An interesting snippet in 'whispers & murmurs' section of today's Economic Times:

Quote:
Porsche's compact SUV Macan will come guaranteed with a special number plate - '3' will be the suffix. That way the few Macan owners will all know that they belong to very small set.
Porsche is trying really hard to justify the steep price.
Did this '3' come from the 3.0 liter diesel engine ?? Can anyone certify this "accessory"..?
Old 29th July 2014, 13:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
One Q- what does the Macan have that the 3.0 TDI Q5 doesnt? hardly anything....and they ar eessentially the same cars underneath. The Q5 fully loaded version is around 52L Ex showroom, so an addtional 48 L just for the prosche badge and air suspension!!!! C'mon Porsche!
Yes, You really need to read or watch the reviews of this car.
That being said it is still not worth such a stupid premium.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 17:20   #30
BHPian

Why would I not buy a Mercedes S Class for 8 Lakhs more ? Just why ? Is there any hope for FTA's in India or should one just wait for the CKD Range Rover Evoque or the Merc GL with the Godawful small LCD Screen and dashboard, or the flawed BMW X5 !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks