Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 15:21   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Moderator's note: Guys, this thread is about the Fiat Punto Evo and not about Fiat service centres or Fiat's future plans and what they are doing to improve in India.

Discuss the car here. If you want to discuss Fiat sales/service and future plans and resurrection there is a thread already running here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...re-inside.html

Thanks,
Team-BHP Support
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 15:38   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Can you tell us, which other cars in the segment have those features ?. The simple reason is to keep the cost down, increasing the OTR would have made it much more difficult to sell an already struggling product in the market.
Cruise Control aside, the Hyundai i20 has auto sensing lamps and wipers. Having Cruise Control would have made it the segment first in a hatchback. Personally; I don't care for the auto wipers and lights but Cruise Control is a really nice feature to have. With our ever improving highway network, this is a feature you can use. Convenience aside, this is one feature the economy obsessed will love.

If you exclude discounts, the Punto Sport was already nudging the 9lac price barrier so it surely isn't a case of increasing on road price. There are a whole bunch of other reasons why Fiat are unable to sell a car and price is not one of them.
Old 1st August 2014, 15:50   #138
GTO
Team-BHP Support

**EDIT** Just saw your post, Vid6639. Sorry, last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Even if the last two isn't fully convincing, the first two will definitely look like a positive change even to someone
Quote:
I hope you read that the new investment is on setting up the sales and service network and on the R&D center, and not in the existing manufacturing plant.
Not really. The primary focus of the R&D center is NOT India, but Chrysler / international markets (like USA & China). It even started as a Chrysler R&D center. If this R&D center was indeed for India, they would've solved the basic problems of gear ratios or poorly fitted parts.

And no, they aren't investing 'hundreds of crores' in the dealer network. That is the dealership owner who's making the investment

Quote:
Fiat is trying and not sitting idle. Not everybody is a genius to crack the code on the first try.
We've been twiddling our thumbs for 15 years, I'm sure we'll continue to for the next 15.

Fiat will never be able to compete in the mass market. If they want numbers, it'll only be via a USP (e.g. Renault and it's car-based SUV, the Duster).

Quote:
Yes, may be Maruthi and Hyundai went from strength to strength, but didn't Tata, which was once at top, go drastically down? Didn't Honda, which almost spiraled out, come back strongly?
Honda has brand equity in India that's 1000x stronger than Fiat. The problem was simpler to solve (diesel engines, mass market cars).

Quote:
sometimes the DOWN can be a little long
When you've been down for practically your entire existence in the market, that's not 'little long'. It's been permanent so far.

Quote:
...that the cars are better than most of the competition, and a considerable few end up buying Fiat.
The cars have flopped. Calling the mere hundreds of buyers is hardly a considerable few. Heck, even the vintage Ambassador has outsold Fiat's cars some months.

In other words, nobody wants what Fiat is selling right now (nobody = less than 1% of the market).

Quote:
It's very rare for a product, which bombed when launched, to recover. I think almost everyone is aware of that. All the price-cuts, face-lifts are part of the products life cycle, and in Fiat's case, it is just to keep the brand name floating.
Exactly. This flop product range will remain a flop. The only way for Fiat to bounce back is finding a USP, and not doing the same thing everyone else is doing, while failing miserably in the important ones (stellar reliability, stable after-sales, fuel economy etc.).

Quote:
has come up with a new strategy now
What exactly is this 'new strategy'? I don't see anything new or unique in what they're doing.

Quote:
True. My sister is small built, she drives a car to visit nearby shopping malls and beaches. She is contemplating changing her car now and I have recommended her the i10.
Indeed, one of the best city cars. I hope you've recommended the 'Grand i10'.

Quote:
In a business, I cannot have equal priority to everything.
Equal priority is a distant dream, India is not a priority at all for Fiat internationally. If they think they can pull some magic off without support from the head office, well, it's better they stop dreaming.

Quote:
And I think they announced again that the Jeep brand will be launched in 2016
Just one of the areas which shows absolute lack of commitment to India. Announce launch and then back off at the last minute. Launching the 'Jeep' brand is the minutest of exercises compared to an overhaul of their Indian operations. Introducing CBU cars is the simplest job in the auto industry, and even that's been delayed by 2 - 3 years.

Quote:
Punto and Linea, though basically have traits that satisfy a lot of enthusiasts
The problem for them is, more enthusiasts are running to other cars than the Linea & Punto. Clearly, even the 'enthusiast' is finding better options elsewhere.

The lack of direction further shows in how they miss offering something for the enthusiasts. The Punto is ready, the T-Jet engine is ready....which genius hasn't mated the two yet?

Quote:
You are comparing cars that were launched six years back and cars that were recently launched.
If a manufacturer is selling old long-in-the-tooth products, too bad for them. The customer has ample choice and is clearly putting his money elsewhere.

Quote:
I read a thread from you with a title something like "Toyota accepts defeat in mass market penetration.." or something about Toyota accepting defeat in its inability to penetrate the mass market.

Does that say something?
Absolutely. What's new? Everyone knows the problem with Toyota's lousy approach to the mass market. Still, even their flopped products manage numbers that shine when compared to the Punto & Linea.

Quote:
As as long as I'm happy with what I'm doing and hopeful of my future and working hard for that, why give damn to those numbers!!!
If Fiat is happy with the current situation & have hopes based on dreams, God bless them. It's time to get realistic.

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2014 at 15:59.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 16:14   #139
BHPian

Looking at the various comments here, I think Punto is more of a cruiser than a sprinter. Pretty much like Enfield, you can comfortably cruise long distance without strain. RX100 users will find Enfield a bit dull, but both are built for different purpose and its the other way round when Enfield users trying to cruise in an RX

FIAT has always produced cars more suited for highways, sticking to the GTX heritage. I once drove from Pune to Chennai(1200kms) the same day in my GTX, started in morning and reached in the night. I don't think I could have done that in any other car.

Taken from Wiki, Punto should qualify as a GT.

Quote:
The term derives from the Italian phrase gran turismo, a tribute to the tradition of the grand tour, used to represent automobiles regarded as grand tourers, able to make long-distance, high-speed journeys in both comfort and style. The English translation is grand touring.
Now the point I'm trying to make is, though GTX is actually designed for highway, it has enough low end grunt to put some big cars to shame. It is a complete car and you don't see GTX/S10 owners complaining, except for the brakes. With a 1.4T-jet which should be way efficient than the 1.6, Punto can take over the GTX legacy. Not asking for more, just 1 model in their lineup and I'll be in the showroom tomorrow to book.
nim_peter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 16:18   #140
BHPian

I quite liked the Punto Evo design. It's more generic & less niche.

The earlier one, as already pointed out a thousand times, is timeless.
Yesterday, I happened to see a blue Linea (old design) parked in rain and it took my breath away. Something about that design just hits home.

Interiors of the Evo are a leap above the old ones which is good as that was one of the major issues with FIAT cars.

Am I dissapointed in gearbox?
Yes, but more in the increased GC.

Would I buy this if I were in the market for a hot hatch?
Yes, most probably.
Old 1st August 2014, 16:24   #141
Senior - BHPian

Its good to see that FIAT has done away with the variants being mentioned on the tail gate. They kept falling as the cars aged anyway

Was there a mention on the set of colours that would be on sale? I am unable to imagine the Tuscan wine colour with the new design.
Old 1st August 2014, 19:47   #142
Senior - BHPian

The two videos Fiat has put up on their Youtube channel:

I presume these are 2 off few more videos to come
funkykar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 21:02   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The two videos Fiat has put up on their Youtube channel:

I presume these are 2 off few more videos to come
I don't mean to bash FIAT unnecessarily but Lo!! If they are going to put up such pathetic quality videos, then they better don't, cuz it looks like they have made it just for the heck of it.

I bet, my wet behind the ears friends in their first year of film making course can make a better video! Out of place music, wind noise, unnecessary engine noise

-Bhargav
Old 1st August 2014, 22:01   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Nice review S2
<<Wiper & indicator stalks feel solid to use. Smart feature - when the wipers are on and you engage reverse gear, the rear wipers come on automatically>>

Will this not scratch the back glass when there is no rain? Can this be disabled manually?
Oops! I guess the line confused you. What I meant to say was that if it is drizzling/ raining and only if your front wipers are on, in such a situation, if you engage the reverse gear, the rear wiper will come on. There is always a way to turn on/ off the rear wiper manually but if you happen to forget doing so the car does it for you automatically when you slot into reverse, hence, gives you a clear rear vision.

Hope it clears your doubt.

Last edited by S2!!! : 1st August 2014 at 22:05.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:04   #145
BHPian

I expected a Tjet engine in new punto. The 1.4 FIRE was not a success on Punto. In goa I hardly find any 1.4 Punto. Even when I purchased mine in 2010 October, I got a March manufactured car.
Again Fiat is missing the opportunity. Where is Multiair engines. I am sure they will introduce it when competitors come with equally well technologies. I am sure a turbo charged i-vtech will be a bench mark for the turbo petrol engines. Fiat as before will miss the opportunity. Fiat produced one of the best cars in terms of safety and driving dynamics. But if we watch over the past years the gap is reducing. Old days are over. Indian now days like contemporary products. Fiat is failing to understand the changing taste of Indian customers. Look at the deadly combination of DSG and TSI that VW is offering. New punto is offering same old engine and same gear old gearbox.
vsk2009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 11:29   #146
Senior - BHPian

Both the Punto Evo & Elite i20 are going to be launched with heavily revised exteriors & interiors but same engines & gearbox. Between the two, which do we think will sell more & more importantly, why? The Punto has the perception in the market of being underpowered & Fiat did nothing to solve that in the Evo. Compare this to VW, who have launched the Polo with an all new 1.5L diesel after taking customer feedback about the 1.2L Diesel seriously.

Yesterday, I was watching Autocar show and Hormazd was saying that Fiat has decided to upgrade the 1.3 MJD to 1.5L but the new engines will come in 2016 initially powering only Jeep products. So Fiat car's may have to soldier on with the 1.3 till 2017?! At this rate, they may not have any Fiat car's left to install the 1.5L engine in!
Old 2nd August 2014, 12:15   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hormazd of Autocar India says that Fiat is working on getting a 1.5L engine to replace it's 1.3 to compete better in the current market. The 1.6L will be a bad choice in the market because of the cascading effect excise duties will have on the selling price of the products. Contrary to the earlier post here, the engine is not going to come in after 2016, Fiat wants to use it in Jeep products also the plan has no relation to Jeep's India launch whenever that may be. Fiat isn't launching the 1.6 because it needs the volumes that a combine of Maruti and Tata can provide, how can anyone ask for a new engine for a mass market product that sells in the hundreds in its best month? The 1.6 will not make it here, blame legislation not Fiat for that, even VW will focus on the 1.5TDI going forward
avira_tk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:15   #148
BHPian

Punto Evo in company of Swift and Polo. Swift looks completely outdated in front of Punto Evo.

Also, thanks to its higher ground clearance and new front, Punto Evo looks more bold as compared to Polo.

2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-10303752_539507192816587_846353654207375005_n.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-10410787_539505769483396_8121439533771770383_n.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-10411970_539507986149841_5171925852051226167_n.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-10413293_539507732816533_650484225589817432_n.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-10429374_539508486149791_4750644178964633302_n.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-10494646_539402516160388_2394943405686896477_n.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-10530827_539508262816480_6038248974933113663_n.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-10534632_539506849483288_2526401570166285918_n.jpg

Source: Fiat Tirupur
damager21 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 14:47   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Punto Evo in company of Swift and Polo. Swift looks completely outdated in front of Punto Evo.

Also, thanks to its higher ground clearance and new front, Punto Evo looks more bold as compared to Polo.
Thanks for that comparative snaps. Now it seems more Euro styled and the new color add to the case. Otherwise, I was of the opinion that it was face-downed from the outgoing classic styling. But I have to admit that the chrome dosing went a bit overboard around the fog lamps all around as that area gets more highlighted now.

Last edited by thoma : 2nd August 2014 at 14:51.
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:35   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

Q. Punto Evo 90 HP (Sport ?) will come with 16" 195 profile rubber as per the reports. With no tweak to the engine and probably more kerb weight, wouldn't this result in lesser FE (mileage) and poorer performance compared to the outgoing Punto 90 HP Sport ?

Q. Obviously the suspensions will be tweaked for the 90 HP Evo. So would the ride be hard (read uncomfortable) considering it also has the biggest rims in its segment ?
Will this enhance the dynamics and cornering ability? Hope this does not disrupt the plush ride it has

Most Viewed