Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 17:45   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

I feel of all the recent 'facelifts' Fiat has done the best when it comes to looks. Its a pity they stopped there though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Your cars need more power!
The engine is powerful actually,its let down by that awful gearbox.
Old 30th July 2014, 17:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

Though the change is looking good, I still feel the old look of the Punto to be Excellent. It's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
100km/hr in 5th gear comes in at 2,300 RPM which is the same as before.
100 KM/HR in 5th gear comes exactly at 2500 RPM on older Punto's and Linea's and I think it may be the same with the new model as well.

To be precise, in 5th gear,
80 kmph @ 2000 RPM
100 kmph @ 2500 RPM
120 kmph @ 3000 RPM
140 Kmph @ 3500 RPM
160 kmph @ 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry, but as a knowledgeable enthusiast, I disagree that Fiat is 'better' than most of the competition. I'd buy a Swift ZDi over the Punto today and a Vento TDI over the Linea MJD.
Every enthusiast have his own opinion and there is nothing wrong in it. He may be right and you may also be right. As long as one is happy about his car he would definitely feel his car to be better. As a owner of Linea MJD for 3 years with 65000 kms driven, I have always relished drive with my car and I feel mine is the best . If I were in the market today for a Diesel hatch, I would seriously consider Punto EVO or Polo 1.5 TDI. Definitely not a Swift. And it's just my choice.

Quote:
If you think that Fiat is happy selling 1000 cars / month, thinking it's in a niche, you couldn't be farther from the truth. Fiat's management itself will disagree with you.
You seem to be more concerned than Fiat about selling 1000 cars a month. Fiat has neither said they are happy nor unhappy. They have only said that they are working hard in the last 1 year setting up the new dealerships.

Quote:
There's nothing 'niche' about Fiat's products in India.
Of course there is niche about Fiat. It is the brand that has huge fan following than any other brand. And I have got a feeling of 'Fiat family' since owning a Fiat. This is something I did not get when I was driving a Hyundai for 4 years.

Quote:
I am an informed customer and I enjoy driving a faster, nimbler Swift more than a Punto.
And as I said earlier, it is up to an individual.

Quote:
The truth can sometimes be harsh.
It always will be when we find the real truth.
rameshnanda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 18:32   #63
BHPian

Why is there an option to switch off the airbags? Should'nt they be on at all times unless the seat-belts are worn?
raghubhaskar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 18:58   #64
BHPian

There will be no Exchange bonus incase some one wants to buy the new Punto. Confirmed with Vecto Motors, Bangalore.
Old 30th July 2014, 19:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghubhaskar View Post
Why is there an option to switch off the airbags? Should'nt they be on at all times unless the seat-belts are worn?
Switch off for Airbags is provided only for the Passenger side not for the Driver. If you are driving alone, you may deactivate the passenger side Airbag.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 19:03   #66
BHPian

The older outgoing models were truly from Italian design boards. The current models are more indian-ized to attract urban Indian customers who love bold head lamp design schemes, odd trapezoidal shapes et all.

With the launch around the corner, not a single Ad is witnessed in papers or in TV ad's on the new launch.

It is also strongly felt that FIAT India is facing serious concerns in bringing newer drive trains into INDIA. As of now only three types of older engines are still in production, with the huge 400 crore excise duty fee debt, i think FIAPL will not divert funds to bring new gen engines to India.

Punto EVO will have a hard time compared to the new POLO TDI 1.5, Salute to VW for their efforts.

As a punto owner i am not pessimistic but agree to the fact that the gearbox, gear ratios, clutch travel are a pain at least till one gets accustomed to it very well. Couple of times my friend drove the punto and while making quick maneuvers stalled it, due to not pressing the clutch deep enough, having himself used to a slick honda city short and precise clutch throw.
sriramr9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 19:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is for the passenger side Air bag. If you are driving alone mostly, you can disable it.
But, it is advisable to enable it always! Not easy to track if someone is occupying the passenger seat or not...

Last edited by finneyp : 30th July 2014 at 19:11.
finneyp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 19:21   #68
BHPian

Fiat's build quality is confidence inspiring. Say in case of a direct collision of a swift and Punto, I would rather be in the punto
veyron_head is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 19:32   #69
BHPian

Quote:

In case you have a child seat strapped in the front seat - then the deployed air bag becomes lethal. And yes - if you are sure of traveling alone, you could escape the cost of the other airbag in case of deployment.

cheers!
sai
sai_ace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 19:51   #70
BHPian

As the saying goes "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder", The looks of the new Punto are subjective. i am confused about the looks of evo and am inclined more towards the old one. interiors look good in the evo compared to old one barring the fit and finish (which you come to live with eventually)

When it comes to whether fiat is mass market car/not selling in numbers/only for informed customers, i believe that fiat in particular has a fan following. I remember when i test drove the palio just fell in love with the way the car was sticking to the tramac.

What other manufacturers do/bring should not matter to Fiat as their strategy in india is as secret as a james bond mission. But let me share my two cents about various cars (from different category) i have driven in the past few years vis a vis to Fiat:

Alto: ride was scarey to say the least especially on the highway. rattles like hell, the feeling that the car might be blown away by the wind on highways less said the better

Swift P: good car to drive, cramped but not happy with the space it has on offer. ride quality don't come any close to fiat. rattles

Swift D: a little better ride due to heavy engine but nothing out of the world. Didn't like that aircraft like pull around 1800 RPM. rattles

Hyundai Getz (1.1): smooth engine, but took time to gain speeds, scrapped the roads most of the times.spacious though!

Vento: good ride and comfortable drive but a smallest bump on the road will be felt due to soft suspension. guess will need a new bottom due to scrapping the roads

Duster: enjoyed the drive, good suspension & ride.

Palio stile 1.1 and 1.3 : best drive, nice space, hard to beat ride and handling. have been in a crash but not even a scratch when the body took a good beating. so built quality is top notch. No rattles what so ever after 97K kms. But yes clutch and long gear ratios are something i would have liked to be more slick but not bad. Is it because the gear lever is pretty long compared to say a swift? not sure

Which car i would buy as my next car? 98% fiat else may be a duster nothing comes close.

but as i mentioned every one is a enthusiast and they like their opinion of the cars they have drive. so comparing different brands and arguing which is better or which is not is futile exercise.

Last edited by ant_vas : 30th July 2014 at 19:54. Reason: wanted to add info about the clutch.
ant_vas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 19:58   #71
BHPian

Every car has its own USP. Some cars love to look pretty and powdered up, and some push you over the edge... some are fast some are slow... it all depends on what the USP of the car is.

Does Punto being 300 kgs heavier affect the fact that it is not as zippy as a swift. Does the car having tyres wider than the one swift has affect the performance?? Yes they do. And I can say that without being a well informed enthusiast. How? Cos if things or specifications are different, there will be implications.

What makes the swift a better car?? The thinner tread, the lighter body the sales figures? If we go by the sales figures, then Bolero should be the most successful SUV, it's outselling every single SUV for almost a decade, almost 10k units per month, so would you go and buy the best selling SUV?? No?? Why not? As no matter how many units it sells it still has or does not have things which you love.

As far as the premium nature of the car is concerned, I think that buttons with back light, especially the power windows buttons is a must have, more functional and looks good too. My friend has a polo 1.6, the passenger side sun visor does not have a mirror and we pay a premium for it?? No auto roll up and down?

After this exhaustive post all I wish to say is that every car has its own USP, live and let live. Nit picking can be done on every car and every product that's on sale. Peace

Last edited by MihirC : 30th July 2014 at 20:10.
MihirC is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 20:11   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
It doesn't seem to be in a good taste when a senior member says as a matter of fact that he will choose a swift Zdi over a Punto any given day as obviously it seems to him that it's a better product.
He mentioned it from urban Indian owner perspective with its slicker gear box lesser weight, better power to weight ratio better fuel economy etc. He has not berated the brand as the above criteria's weigh more for an average consumer. The handling and steering are a benchmark were the words mentioned by the very same person in his review of the same punto.

So like you rightly said, punto beyond 140-150kph is planted to tarmac but the same confidence one might not get in a swift zdi when hit such speeds due to the rally car design it has.

I myself was shocked to witness the punto mjd's weight in weighbridge which i did twice with less fuel was hovering to around 1220kg (with spare wheel and stepney changing kit), but factory spec says 1130kg, maybe the additional weight, HPS system, poor gearbox are adding to the poor drive ability i suppose.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 30th July 2014 at 20:21.
sriramr9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 20:41   #73
BHPian

The switch-off option for front passenger air-bag is a good feature.

This is needed for using a rear-facing child seat in the front passenger seat. Situations where only the mother/ father is driving with a baby comes to mind. Such cases are indeed common in North America as well as Europe, hence this option of turning the passenger air-bag off is quite common for all current gen cars there. Indeed in those cars there is an alert/ sticker reminding the parent to switch off the passenger air-bag before using a rear-facing child seat.

So a welcome option, I would say.

Last edited by vinjosep : 30th July 2014 at 20:52.
vinjosep is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 20:42   #74
Senior - BHPian

Good preview. Thanks!!

Personally I prefer the older Punto's exteriors except the rear lights. If there was a way to swap my Punto's rear lamps with this, I would gladly do so. That apart I still prefer the pre facelift Punto's exterior. Interiors is a different story all together. It looks much improved now. Wonder if there is a way to retrofit the same dash on the older versions.

Single reverse indicator is same with the older Punto, as well as the rear wipers getting activated while reverse gear is engaged as long as front wipers are on, is a feature that is there on the out going model too.

Wish Fiat had given some other engines too with the facelift, it could have well made a statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
I really want to buy this car and want to ask Fiat owners about the after-sales and servicing of Fiat cars.
Is it as big a problem as it is made out to be?
Or is it manageable?
I really need some help guys so please help me out by sharing your experiences with Fiat.
Thanks in advance

Hi,

If you really want to buy this car, please go ahead and do so. Specially if it is only the aftersales that is stopping you. It may not be as flawless as some other brands, but definitely not as bad as it is made to sound. If you are okay with the engines which wont burn the tarmac and the rubbery gearshift, the punto has everything else to keep you happy.

Last edited by vibbs : 30th July 2014 at 20:55.
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 21:12   #75
BHPian

Fantastic Facelift to an already beautiful car!!
I don't know, why every FIAT thread takes this turn. Which, we are witnessing.

In my view, FIAT is a Big Brand and they also have qualified executives, who must have taken an informed decision of launching the car with the same state of tune apart from changing the Gear Ratios for 1st & 2nd. And, must have taken the Financial / Sales part in consideration.

Lets appreciate, at least they have not given up!!
Hope, FIAT gets good numbers with respect to sales from the New Punto & soon to be launched Avventura.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed