Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 21:54   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The engine is powerful actually,its let down by that awful gearbox.
Agreed, the gear ratios are poorly chosen. Fiats are heavy which brings down the power to weight ratio. For its weight, the Punto needs 90 PS minimum. Given that the ride and handling is so well sorted, the poor power to weight ratio is a bummer and will surely turn away people who love to drive, who apparently are the ones Fiat wants to target. Now that VW has plonked in a proper 1.5 TDI in the Polo, the poor performance figures of the Punto will be even more glaring in all the comparos.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th July 2014 at 22:09.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 22:50   #77
BHPian

A good review. But its just good, it seems as though it has been done in a hurry. Just my perception. And yes it has become a Fiat bashing thread again. I wish the 1.5 TDI does wonders to Polo. But will it be the segment leader. No. Swift is always king. So even if a 1.5 MJD comes up in punto, the thread will be a FIAT bashing thread with people talking about rubbery gear shifts. And even if all issues are sorted, will punto be a segment leader. No. Its always swift. I dont understand this !
Rubbertramps is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 23:03   #78
BHPian

Those tail lights are outstandingly eye catching. Brilliant design!

Love the rear at night when those red light glows. Even the interiors and dash look cool in orange light.

2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-2014fiatpuntoevopetrol1.4whitelightson.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-2014fiatpuntoevopetrol1.4whiteheadlampon.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_2014puntoevodashboard.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_2014puntoevodetails21.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_2014puntoevonight5.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_2014puntoevonight6.jpg
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_2014puntoevoredrear1.jpg

Source:TeamFiat and IndianCarsBikes
damager21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 23:06   #79
BHPian

The black color on the Punto looks stunning! I am in all praise for the new design of the Punto. About time the Punto deserved a makeover. Even the dual tone interiors look good and are in sync with the overall car profile. The shiny background stereo cluster however looks a little cheap [completely my opinion]. The alloys look smart too. Overall the new design is a good welcome move from Fiat.
Old 30th July 2014, 23:37   #80
BHPian

* The facelift looks fantastic. It's my dream to own a Punto someday ( Yes, my dreams are small! ).
* Like many said, there is no point comparing the Punto to the Swift. Both are targeted at different customers.
* I see so much Puntos on road in Chennai ( not so much Lineas ). Somehow it doesnt equate to the meagre monthly sales.
eyesice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 23:56   #81
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Now that VW has plonked in a proper 1.5 TDI in the Polo, the poor performance figures of the Punto will be even more glaring in all the comparos.
Here's the performance figures by Motorbeam :
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-compa.jpg
PPS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 00:31   #82
Senior - BHPian

A thread on either Punto or Linea has a few references to the all quirks they have and ergonomics they lack. Majority of the posts here are by people who don't own one, so I'll keep it simple.
The stalks are just placed differently, if you've got continuous use of them I guess you'll have you hands on the steering all the time and at close proximity. The issue is that you can turn off the lights off you fingertip grips the grooves on the edge, quite scary at night.

The dead pedal, a full size one is something you'll find useful on long drives on the highway where both cars come into their element. Unlike the VAG cars, even for a six footer, there is space between the center console and steering so you can operate the clutch without hurting your knees, seating space at the back is the same for most cars. Fitting an armrest from the Linea makes a huge difference in the highways , a good accessory to spend on.

Please let's not have more posts about spare tyre sizes, the Germans have perfected the art of supplying nothing or something like a cycle tyre. The spare size is standard size for top models from the big players. The plastics hold up well over time and only the part in front of the bonnet fades early. Fiat has compromised plastics in favor of better sheet metal.

Don't look at fiat if you are not interested in steering feel, sharp brakes, high speed stability and euro build quality. While the same broken record whining about tata service and turning radius plays on, please bother to do a price comparison factoring in discounts and offers, after taking a test drive, you might come away impressed. There are some things that are right with the car - a bunch of photos will not tell you the whole story.
avira_tk is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 08:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

A lot has been said on how the Punto is so slow that it kills all the fun for enthusiasts. But I really wonder whether all that the enthusiasts care for is the 0-100 timings? The real fun for me starts in the highway when to pull away, at high speeds all you need to do is shift to 3rd or 4th and press the throttle. I mean have a look at the roll on timings 20-80 in 3rd and 40-100 in 4th for the Punto and compare it with the competion. It is not all that bad. Combine that with class leading ride and handling, you have a car which atleast doesn't deserve the brick bats it gets from the enthusiasts.

Yes one thing that I agree to is that the Punto chassis begs for more power and while some in the competition will have you on your toes driving spiritedly and taking corners, on the Punto comparitively you would be yawning. It makes it so effortless encouraging to push the car further till you reach a point where you cant.

Last edited by vibbs : 31st July 2014 at 08:08.
vibbs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 09:00   #84
BHPian

As a driver my real concern is not 0-100 but 100-0 performance. This is where I love Punto. Hope the new Punto is even better than the old one.
vsk2009 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 09:04   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Every car has its own USP. Some cars love to look pretty and powdered up, and some push you over the edge... some are fast some are slow... it all depends on what the USP of the car is.

Does Punto being 300 kgs heavier affect the fact that it is not as zippy as a swift. Does the car having tyres wider than the one swift has affect the performance?? Yes they do. And I can say that without being a well informed enthusiast. How? Cos if things or specifications are different, there will be implications.

What makes the swift a better car?? The thinner tread, the lighter body the sales figures? If we go by the sales figures, then Bolero should be the most successful SUV, it's outselling every single SUV for almost a decade, almost 10k units per month, so would you go and buy the best selling SUV?? No?? Why not? As no matter how many units it sells it still has or does not have things which you love.

As far as the premium nature of the car is concerned, I think that buttons with back light, especially the power windows buttons is a must have, more functional and looks good too. My friend has a polo 1.6, the passenger side sun visor does not have a mirror and we pay a premium for it?? No auto roll up and down?

After this exhaustive post all I wish to say is that every car has its own USP, live and let live. Nit picking can be done on every car and every product that's on sale. Peace
While I agree on your point about every car having its own USP and that the sales figure don't necessarily indicate a better car, there were serious issues with the old Punto (at least a few years back when I test drove it).

I always wanted to buy the Punto because it looked fabulous and it rides even well. But I did n't because of the following reasons -

Slow pickup
loud booming noise when you accelerate hard
serious quality issues with the interior, bad fit and finish.
rubbery gear box
high turning radius
low rear space
not very practical - hard to find place to put 1 liter bottles etc.

Now I understand that things like less rear space is not easy to be addressed in a facelift, but Fiat could have seriously worked on the other flaws given that the facelift took a long time coming.

What I understand is the only thing that has improved is the interior quality (though it's still behind competition IMO) but they have spoiled the awesome looking front of the previous car.

I don't think this facelift will help improve the fortunes of Fiat in India unless they have lowered the price substantially (which they have not). There are some small number of Fiat lovers who loved the Punto for its looks and ride and handling and they will continue to patronize it (though I won't be surprised if their numbers decrease in the coming years and months as the looks of the facelift is a step behind IMO)
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 09:27   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Here's the performance figures by Motorbeam
Wow; to the Suzuki Swift. Even after power is down by 15bhp to the VW, the Swift still manages to be slow by just 1.5sec to the ton.

Wake up Fiat. What you call a "Sport" ain't no sport in any sense of it.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 09:37   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Is the new Punto Evo still having messed up ergonomics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yep.
People may have issues with the gear ratios and power and so on, but to call the ergonomics in the old Punto messed up is nonsense. It is an exceptionally comfortable car for a driver. The seats give excellent lower-back support and you can drive long distances without tiring. The steering wheel is tilt-adjustable and comfortable to hold. Nothing wrong with the gear stick feel -- changes are smooth and easy. Clutch travel is maybe long compared to some other cars, but not severely so, and if you're getting tired by that you're over-using the clutch. Indicator stalk -- that's the European style and a matter of taste/habit, not ergonomics, but ergonomically I prefer to have all "controls" on the left so that my right hand stays on the wheel (the wiper is an exception). How many Punto reviews, old or new, have complained about the ergonomics?
rsidd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 09:59   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
How many Punto reviews, old or new, have complained about the ergonomics?
I own a Linea and can confirm there is a flaw with the ergonomics. The same applies for the Punto as well. What is flawed? Well, the pedals are pushed too far out which leads to your legs bent a bit too much. This position pretty much kills any under thigh support the drivers seat provides. There is under thigh support. You just can't use it. Combine this with a steering wheel which is also pushed too far out. The lack of rake adjustment does not help matters either. Push the seat back which does take care of your legs, except that your hands will be stretched out for the wheel too which is not good.

The seat height adjustment is not really what it says. It tilts the seat at an angle with the lower back section alone that increases or decreases in height. The front of the seat base is the pivot point. A lot of times, I find myself leaning forward for no particular reason. My head is never as close as it should be to the headrest. Lumbar support is non existent. I agree that no car provides this from the segment. However; the seating position which is better on other cars negates the need for it.

You don't realize the problem until you sit in another car and drive for extended periods. For me, a car like the i20 absolutely nails it for driving position.
sandeepmohan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 10:19   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
there were serious issues with the old Punto (at least a few years back when I test drove it).

I always wanted to buy the Punto because it looked fabulous and it rides even well. But I did n't because of the following reasons -

Slow pickup
loud booming noise when you accelerate hard
serious quality issues with the interior, bad fit and finish.
rubbery gear box
high turning radius
low rear space
not very practical - hard to find place to put 1 liter bottles etc.

Now I understand that things like less rear space is not easy to be addressed in a facelift, but Fiat could have seriously worked on the other flaws given that the facelift took a long time coming.

What I understand is the only thing that has improved is the interior quality (though it's still behind competition IMO) but they have spoiled the awesome looking front of the previous car.

I don't think this facelift will help improve the fortunes of Fiat in India unless they have lowered the price substantially (which they have not). There are some small number of Fiat lovers who loved the Punto for its looks and ride and handling and they will continue to patronize it (though I won't be surprised if their numbers decrease in the coming years and months as the looks of the facelift is a step behind IMO)
I am not sure if you have checked the prefacelift Punto after the 2012 refresh. Most of the issues you have listed are sorted out and to list out some, the ground clearance (overdone though), turning radius, lighting the feel of steering at lower speeds, fit and finish. When you say serious quality issues, it would be better if you highlight them specifically than make a generic statement. The fit and finish though inconsistent, nothing breaks or rattles even after abuse. Atleast my Linea does not rattle after close to 2 years and 40000 kms and I dont care two hoots about bad roads (I have changed 3 alloys already and 1 is pending soon)

The liking to the interior design is subjective just like the exteriors. But calling it still behind the competition is dragging it a bit too far. The i20, Polo and Punto are on par with the interiors, the remaining ones is not even worth mentioning.

Are the prices for the facelift announced, am I missing something here? The launch is on 5th August. In case, if you have insights to pricing please let us know.

Another point, initially I too did not like the exteriors in the pics, but after spending considerable amount of time with the facelift, the looks have definitely grown on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Fiats have the best in class braking. And the best in-gear acceleration or roll on figures, and I believe that is what matters in the real world and day to day lives.
Spot on with the class leading brakes, stability under braking, in gear acceleration and roll on figures. Fiat concentrated on these and became luggards in the 0-100 dash which anyways very few people do the 0-100 dash on a daily basis. It is a pain to drive the Swift in the ghats due to the tall gearing.
nkrishnap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 10:28   #90
DWC
BHPian

A lot of people here are standing up for the Punto due to its ride quality, handling and driving dynamics, and rightly so. The punto does drive very well...on the highway.

The problem is that most people here are urban, and that is where the punto disappoints, tremendously. When you're driving a car in the city, do you really want to have a 1st and 2nd gear that's lethargic? A gearbox with messed up ratios? Plain and simple, no.

City driving in India means a lot of time being stuck in traffic and pottering over town in the lower gears. The gear ratios in the punto make it really difficult for a relaxed and comfortable drive in the city. Always going back to 1st for that awful speed breaker, having to change gears a million times, is not my idea of fun.

An enthusiast is someone who looks forward to doing a particular activity. Am I enthusiastic about driving a punto in the city? No. I would choose the swift any day over the punto for in-city drivability. On the highway, its a different ballgame all together. But lets be honest for a moment, how many of us city slickers actually do a majority of their driving on the highway? I'm guessing maybe 10%-20%?

At the same time, its irrelevant to bring up faults like wrong position of indicator stalks, etc. These are petty things and just take a little getting used to.

Sorry if i've hurt the sentiments of a few members here, the views above are my own personal views based on driving both cars extensively.
DWC is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed