Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 11:33   #16
BHPian

re: Spare Parts Price Comparison - Midsize Sedans

Thanks for sharing the same! Just had a query, any reason for not including the Manza Safire(Petrol) details. Wanted to check for my own car as well. :-)
Old 7th August 2014, 11:35   #17
BHPian

re: Spare Parts Price Comparison - Midsize Sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
The total price of all these spare parts are then calculated as a percentage to the ex showroom price of the car.
(Blue numbers indicate the cheapest and Red indicate the costliest).

The inferences will suprise many!
Is fiesta is new one or Classic. Because I see spare part for Fiesta Petrol(Classic), It looks like most part are just quoted high. Classic fuel filter for petrol costs Rs.650. Air filter Rs. 350, Wiper blades Rs.400 (one in Ford show room)..
Old 7th August 2014, 13:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spare Parts Price Comparison - Midsize Sedans

Wow, great comparison. I am shocked to see the honda city spare prices. I was expecting that the petrol car should be having way lesser expenses.

VW is far good than beliefs. The spare parts are not too costly. But what hits more is the exorbitant labor that they charge. When i got the front and rear bumper painted i bought the new front bumper which costed only 2500 but the labor cost of painting + other expenses etc costed me 45000.

Everyone bad mouths Fiat saying the maintenance and spares are very costly etc but i see that they are very fairly priced. Also labor is very cheap. For a simple oil change they charge 120 rs. This will shame a local mechanic too.

The Tjet sparks are costly because they us IRIDIUM NGK plugs. The wiper blades are Imported ones same like Hella Dynaedge - flexible ones and last atleast 3 years.

Edit: i see that the VW vento headlight assembly is priced at 2900 only, but what about the leveler motor that they charge at 6000rs per piece? I am wondering why they sell that separately.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 7th August 2014 at 13:45.
Old 7th August 2014, 14:15   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
SX4 does not have a timing belt, It uses timing chain. The cost is several times higher than that of the listed timing belt cost.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Price for Timing chain alone is cheaper and the kit (with tensioner) costs higher.
Old 7th August 2014, 14:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Wow, great comparison. I am shocked to see the honda city spare prices. I was expecting that the petrol car should be having way lesser expenses.
Amit, as far as fiat is concerned, its exorbitant for repairs. Then, theres a difference between the pricing of hubs, even at teh A.S.S. Example, the rear hub, assorted costs a whopping 7900 rupees, while independently costs just 2200 rupees. A headlight costs 4900 plus labour, and single fog lamp, useless at that and just an ornament, costs 2000 rupees plus labour. Guess what, the labour for replacing fog lamp is Rs. 350 plus taxes. Likewise, the chrome strip on the rear bumber is Rs. 901 and the fixing cost. Rs. 735 plus tax.

I can go on and on, on fiat's (over)charging.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th August 2014 at 22:43. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 14:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great Comparo.

City seems exorbitantly expensive to maintain and I was always under the impression that Fiat's are a white elephant.

Great eye opener. Linea seems pretty economical contrary to the image it carries.
SX4 adopts the middle path and I reasonable.

Perennial maintenance seekers Fiesta twins are towards the high maintenance end.
Verna, a direct City comparo is much easy on the pocket, 50% easier!!
Old 7th August 2014, 15:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Amit, as far as fiat is concerned, its exorbitant for repairs. Then, theres a difference between the pricing of hubs, even at teh A.S.S. Example, the rear hub, assorted costs a whopping 7900 rupees, while independently costs just 2200 rupees. A headlight costs 4900 plus labour, and single fog lamp, useless at that and just an ornament, costs 2000 rupees plus labour. Guess what, the labour for replacing fog lamp is Rs. 350 plus taxes. Likewise, the chrome strip on the rear bumber is Rs. 901 and the fixing cost. Rs. 735 plus tax.

I can go on and on, on fiat's (over)charging.
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by assorted hub? I remember a fellow bhpian changed his rear hub at 1.1 lac kms on his linea and he was charged 2200 only per hub.
Yes headlight costs Rs.4900 (leveler motor included). Fog lamp is very useful and has good wide spread. I hate to drive without the fog lamps on. It brightens the skirts and dividers very good. Yes they cost 2000, i believe thats a right price of those Fog lamps. Even the local minda made fog lamps costs 4000 for tata cars.

Yes i hate the pricing of those chrome strips. They are exorbitant. I have changed the rear bumper ones 1 time. They dint charge labor though.

Are you speaking about old labor costs or new ones? The new revised charges from Fiat are very less. Its displayed at FASS too. Earlier every dealer used to charge as per Tata guidelines or used to charge on their own.
Old 7th August 2014, 16:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by assorted hub? I remember a fellow bhpian changed his rear hub at 1.1 lac kms on his linea and he was charged 2200 only per hub.
By assorted hub I meant the hub plus the one/two screws and a bearing cover. I had this linea for about four months, from end-January, 2014 to May, 14, 2014, during which period, I owned this black (white) elephant.

The fog lamps on the linea were a pure ornament. nothing more. Compared to the Octavia VRs or the Rapid or the Fabia, the cars other than the linea that i have been using/have used extensively are leagues ahead. Even the little fog lamps that my fusion had were far far better.

But linea repairs can be termed exorbitant/expensive. Way above the level/segment the car sits in.

OT-Your signature line is wonderful.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th August 2014 at 22:44. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 19:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the Spare Parts price comparison for the C2 segement Sedans in India.
It is an excerpt from the Auto car India Spare Parts survey August 2013 Reprint.
Thanks JayKis!
Was a similar survey ever done for the D segment sedans?
Old 7th August 2014, 20:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranger View Post
That's a great comparo jaykis! Even though the Honda city being a petrol sedan seems too high on the maintenance part and so are the fords. May be the branding has been carried forward to the part prices too :-p
Thanks Oranger! Honda looks mighty expensive. A more expensive car like the Verna has cheaper parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Great comparo.

But you missed out on the Toyota Etios, which i feel is a leader in this segment.

You have also not compared the Honda city i-dtec. But going by the price of the spares for the city petrol, I am pretty sure that the spares of its diesel sibling will only be dearer.

Thiis comparison done by you only further strengthens my belief in maruti Suzuki as far as spares are concerned. But mind you, the cost of labour at maruti is now dearer than toyota.
Toyota etios I feel is the cheapest mid size sedan to maintain.
This survey was done before the Honda City diesel was launched. We can add it if some one provides the details.

Etios doesnt belong in the mid size segment rather belongs to the entry level segment. Would be putting in the details of that segment soon. If you think Etios is Cheap, you would really be surprised!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
This is a great initiative JayKis. The comparo would definitely be of great help especially for someone like me who recently bought a linea tjet.
Thank You. The 1.4 Linea mentioned here is the NA one but yeah the prices for the accidental parts of tjet should be the same (except the rims, ofcourse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Honda part prices are on the higher side as part quality is high. You probably won't have to change that part in a very long time.

After experiencing Ford, I feel their parts maybe cheap today but don't hold up as long as the Japanese stuff.
Why do you think Hondas part quality is remarkably higher than other cars? And why Ford is the other way round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Nice comparison buddy, thanks for the same.
Wait, price difference between Sunny & Scala? That's something irrational.

Except Ford & Honda, others are at par. Nice initiative and I wish a similar comparison for other segments too. Especially B segment.
Yeah the Petrol seems comparable the diesel not so. Will put up the B segment as well in due time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
+1 to Sandeep. The price list for Linea - Petrol is for the 1.4 NA Fire variant and not for the TJet. Another example are the wheel rims which are quoted as Rs. 999/-, but this price is for the steel rims. The Linea Tjet 2010-13 alloy wheel rims are priced at about an eye watering Rs. 10,000/-!!
The base variant is taken for the parts survey. So its steel rims for all cars. Yeah you are right, the 1.4 petrol is the NA one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Price mentioned for Spark Plugs is for a piece or a set of 4? (don't kick me for this question) I remember the quote for 2007 Honda City ZX vtec around 850/pc. Is there a huge difference between vtec & ivtec?
Not sure on that front bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Good comparison table.

The front brake pads for Linea (1.4 NA and MJD) costs Rs 3,290/-, the ones for Tjet around 56xx.

The AC filter is excluded from the list and it cots Rs 210/- for Linea.

A small request from my side, is it possible to upload the excel as attachment? I will try and get the latest prices at least for Linea. A small contribution from my side.
That will be great. Infact I wanted to attach it in the first post but forgot . Infact, if every one can religiously update based on the cars we have, we should be able to have for each car and each variant and a bigger list of spare parts as well.

Spare Parts - Mid Size Sedans.xlsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
This is a great comparison. Further, re-enforces my belief that Honda has the highest premium on their spare parts. Sometimes, I feel the entire list of spare parts maybe two times higher the actual cost of car itself.

But, I want to raise an important point here. The service centers do not seem to follow this pricing AT ALL. At least the Honda ones. I got charged Rs.1700 for wheel rims when here its listed for Rs.1251. Add to that a labor cost of Rs.1200 and taxes. So wanted to know how relevant is the comparison when the service centers price spare parts as per their own whims and fantasies?
THis data is from before August 2013. So there could be some discrepancies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
For some reason Chevrolet Aveo is not shown in the table below.

In my 5+ years of ownership of my 1.4P Aveo I can vouch for extremely reasonable service & spare costs for an excellently built vehicle.

My friend bought a Ford Fiesta 1.6P in the same week as we got our Aveo & his costs have been at least 60% higher than mine in the same period, not to mention worse fuel economy.
Sorry dont have the data for the Aveo. If you can help out, we can add it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I can't believe the difference between the Sunny and Scala diesel.

Can you also provide the link to the source or is it a scan from a print copy?
Source is Spare parts Price Survey August 2013 as mentioned in the post.

Quote:
A very good initiative.

It needs few corrections though. SX4 does not have a timing belt, It uses timing chain. The cost is several times higher than that of the listed timing belt cost.
Thanks! Yeah if you have details for the sx4 we can add them in.
JayKis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 10:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Honda part prices are on the higher side as part quality is high. You probably won't have to change that part in a very long time.

After experiencing Ford, I feel their parts maybe cheap today but don't hold up as long as the Japanese stuff.
I have a Honda City ZX EXI 2006 model as my daily drive thats now done 77K kms. Believe me, there's nothing like Honda part quality when the service center asks to change steering rack at this interval. Also wheel bearing changed recently. And a clutch overhaul, suspension overhaul, engine-subframe-gearbox mountings change pending. As far as most cars are concerned, I think this is the same mileage when these parts will be changed. For some BHP'ians its even above 1 lac kms.

I think its safe to assume that the current rates for Honda City spares as shown in the sheet are nearly 1.5 times the rate in it. Add to that an exorbitant labor cost.

Maybe its the over-hyped brand image. I wish if manufacturers could strictly lay down the MRPs and Labor costs for all spare parts and service related works.
Old 8th August 2014, 11:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you think Hondas part quality is remarkably higher than other cars? And why Ford is the other way round?
This may not apply today, however, when I did own a Ford Ikon, I've had something as basic as a hvac hot and cold air mixing part replaced three times in less that 3 years of owning the car. I am sure all the Ikon owners will back me up on this. This part never held up and did not come cheap. Ford had all the time in the world to correct the quality of this part but they did not. The problem existed from the very first batch of Ikon's till production had come to an end.

I am not saying a Honda part does not fail. It does. The difference being longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Believe me, there's nothing like Honda part quality when the service center asks to change steering rack at this interval.
My point is not about scheduled part replacement. It is more about how the car holds up during the course of ownership.
Old 13th November 2014, 12:08   #28
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to The Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!
Old 20th September 2016, 15:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Etios doesnt belong in the mid size segment rather belongs to the entry level segment. Would be putting in the details of that segment soon. If you think Etios is Cheap, you would really be surprised!!!
Etios is not just cheap to maintain, it's the cheapest to maintain. Even the Diesels.

Check out the replacement intervals and spare part cost for an Etios diesel below.

Spare Parts Price Comparison - Midsize Sedans-planned_replacements.png
Spare Parts Price Comparison - Midsize Sedans-unplanned_replacements.png
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 10:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
A very good initiative.

It needs few corrections though. SX4 does not have a timing belt, It uses timing chain. The cost is several times higher than that of the listed timing belt cost.
Timing chain might be costlier than belt on part price, but for an average life time of a card, the timing chain always would be lot cheaper as in most cases, it does not require a replacement at all whereas the belt certainly needs a replacement on certain intervals

Most Viewed