Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 18:10   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Then the dealer is doing correct, I dont think the dealer has the authority to keep \ hold the number for a long time till the first Polo TDI is registered and those who had already in queue will also get affected as the RTO will assign the number to other vehicle if a particular series is over. In my RTO, the series gets changed every week and the available numbers are published so that people can book from the series if reqd.

Moreover, RTO wont allocate any series to a dealer, I think the dealer had shared the published info from the RTO. The only manipulation that was done in this case was to rearrange the application forms with the help of the officer who does the entry and allotment so that the user gets a particular number, but that also is not possible now a days in Kerala as the numbers are randomly computer generated from the current series unless we book a particular number.
Sir, there in lies the difference. Here in Delhi, even if people haven't noticed this I'll share this -

Say for any brand and any model, only by seeing the number I can tell you from which particular dealer the car was bought, at least for the dealers in my vicinity, although I may not be able to know all and except for those which the customers choose to get registered on their own, for example -

1.) DL 4C NE xxxx
DL 10 CE xxxx
Galaxy Toyota, Moti Nagar

2.) DL 4C NC xxxx
Honda Moti Nagar (I don't recall the name of dealer)

3.) DL 4C NA xxxx
DL 1C S xxxx
were with the RTO as you'll see cars of almost all companies bearing numbers of this series. These cars are the ones which are registered directly by the customer and not the dealer.

I hope now I've made myself clear when I say that the RTO allots a series to a dealer, although with exceptions of the fancy numbers in every series which are nowadays sold by the RTO.

In this case there wasn't any manipulation of any kind anywhere. But, now since the database of the RTO has not been updated so far which was not expected by the dealer they requested us to change our number so that other cars can get registered.

We've accepted their request and moved 18 numbers ahead, although we've made it clear that we're in mood to move our number any further. This is because like I've explained earlier using the example of a queue that we have to move from the front to the end for no fault of ours.

Hence, it's not the case that the dealer is right or we're right and trust me neither of us are wrong. It's just a case of slow systems of the bureaucracy.

Last edited by vishalchaudhary : 9th August 2014 at 18:12.
Old 9th August 2014, 18:12   #32
BHPian

Re: RTO registration delays with freshly launched cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Whenever a new car is sold, it comes with Temporary Registration number which although allotted in bulk by RTO are issued at dealership level and the record is kept at dealerships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think you can legally drive the car with a temp registration for one month. So you can check with the dealer on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Here in Hyderabad, any vehicle (irrespective of the class or category) gets a T/R number which is valid for a month after which the permanent number must be made along with the RC book.
Guys, Vishal has clarified and this does not seem to be a case of temporary registration. Dealer must have submitted the permanent registration application to the RTO and received a permanent number on the basis of which he installed normal (black on white) plates, with the plan that in a few days after the RC is issued he would hand over the RC to Vishal who would then have to install the HSRP plates.

The weak link is the practice of treating the vehicle as permanently registered (and issuing normal plates) despite no RC card being issued. It's a chicken and egg problem because without a permanent number, the registration process cannot start and fees for registration cannot be accepted yet at the same time until RC is issued the car is not registered and so cannot have a [permanent] registration number.

I believe we can rule out the dealer taking any liberty with the process. Most likely the dealer's staff who liaisons with the RTO was told simply that "RC cannot be prepared for now due to [xyz] reason (in this case perhaps due to database not updated), so don't issue permanent plates". Now the dealer is trying to comply (plus maybe he's worried that if the RC takes too much time and you have an accident with the vehicle or are inspected by the police, the blame will lie on him (dealer)).

If the number is not a VIP number it's unlikely the dealer is doing all this just to 'gain' something for itself or another customer. And I suppose the last thing they would want to do is start of a buyer with a sour experience -- so maybe a good idea to make a few enquiries and do as the dealer advises, making sure he gives you a valid temporary number at least (so you can legally drive) and he agrees to handle the permanent registration as well (which is slightly trickier).
Old 9th August 2014, 18:28   #33
BHPian

Everyone who's posted on this thread has either given you well-meaning advice or tried to make you feel better, but you just keep on whining. Yes it's true that you've been dealt a bad hand, but it's just a car delivery! It's not as if some great injustice has been meted out to you. Look at the larger picture, accept your fate, take a deep breath, and WAIT. The more you think (and post) about it, the worse you're going to feel.

My two cents.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 18:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post

We've accepted their request and moved 18 numbers ahead, although we've made it clear that we're in no mood to move our number any further.

Hence, it's not the case that the dealer is right or we're right and trust me neither of us are wrong. It's just a case of slow systems of the bureaucracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Everyone who's posted on this thread has either given you well-meaning advice or tried to make you feel better, but you just keep on whining. Yes it's true that you've been dealt a bad hand, but it's just a car delivery! It's not as if some great injustice has been meted out to you. Look at the larger picture, accept your fate, take a deep breath, and WAIT. The more you think (and post) about it, the worse you're going to feel.

My two cents.

Thanks to everyone who's replied in this post and especially to 'TheLizardKing' for pointing it out and making me realize that I need to stop 'whining' and just wait for the process to be completed.

I'll post and update this thread when the process is completed.

Last edited by vishalchaudhary : 9th August 2014 at 19:05.
vishalchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 19:13   #35
i10
BHPian

I don't think vishalchaudhary has been whining. It is disgusting enough that he has had to wait 18 days without being able to drive his car, and that he has to wait another unknown number of days before (hopefully) getting his number. It is actually nice on his part to part with the number and move back in the queue for no fault of his just so the greedy dealer can carry on his business. If he returns the car now, will he get back a full refund. I would think NO. Nor will he get an August manufactured vehicle for tolerating this nonsense.

The dealer is clearly at fault here in not communicating these technical delays. It isn't the first car those guys have sold, nor is it the first time they are handling a registration. It's not like customers have to undergo a crash course on 'vehicle registration process at your city's RTO'.
i10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 19:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Does not the temp regn allow you to drive the car for a month? Gives ample time for the dealership to get the car registered permanently in that time.

Also does this whole number booking thing differ from small cities to Metros? Here we can book our number online for Rs.3000 or the dealer would do it for you showing the list from the Motor Vehicles Dept. site itself.
Old 9th August 2014, 20:10   #37
BANNED

Temp registration in the same state is not possible ( I have been told by dealer). If one buys vehicle from lets say Mumbai, they can get temp registration for delhi etc.

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2014 at 16:51. Reason: Typos
unknown is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th August 2014, 20:24   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Temp registration in the same state is not possible
What? Those dealers better stay away from handling the registration process. Temp regn is done when the owner's permanent address belong to different RTO than the dealer's. As per law you are supposed to drive it to the regn office with temp regn number and the validity is 1 month. Once expired, it will be illegal to do that also unless its renewed. I heard from the dealer once that people got fines ~2000-4000 for driving the vehicle with expired temp regn no.

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2014 at 16:53. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 9th August 2014, 22:36   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Whenever a new car is sold, it comes with Temporary Registration number which although allotted in bulk by RTO are issued at dealership level and the record is kept at dealerships. Temporary Registration is valid only for one month, before it expires it is the car owner's responsibility to get his car registered(mostly handled by Dealerships).
The last time I bought a car, I was told in very clear terms that Delhi RTOs have stopped the concept of releasing cars on temporary number plates. This was told to me by BMW people. Due to some error on there part, my car's registration was getting delayed. On arguing and pressurizing them, finally they released my car on trade certificate plates which was much more riskier for them rather than temporary plates since they clearly stated that Delhi has stopped that practice. Not sure about what's the real story here.
Old 9th August 2014, 23:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The last time I bought a car, I was told in very clear terms that Delhi RTOs have stopped the concept of releasing cars on temporary number plates. This was told to me by BMW people. Due to some error on there part, my car's registration was getting delayed. On arguing and pressurizing them, finally they released my car on trade certificate plates which was much more riskier for them rather than temporary plates since they clearly stated that Delhi has stopped that practice. Not sure about what's the real story here.
Got my Micra the same way, like with some other kinda temp. reg. which is meant only for cars in transit to showroom or something. The SE had explained something at that time but I don't remember what exactly now. They are not supposed to give the car out to a customer that way. So just to be safe, the ride home from showroom after delivery, an executive accompanied us so that in case there is any checking on the way, he could pretend as if it's a test drive or something! He could get the temp. reg. for me only after that weekend. That temp. reg. is valid for a month. Within that time you are supposed to get your permanent reg. done.
Old 11th August 2014, 11:43   #41
BHPian

I also got the delivery of my Safari on the Temp reg. meant for transit when I bought my Safari from Delhi in Aug. '12. I had to drive down to Meerut using this only, luckily no one stopped me.
The Temp. reg. came after 3-4 days and it is issued for the RTO where the car will be registered similar to a NOC, This is valid for a month and is valid for travel across India.
I did a road trip within a week to Himachal and was stopped at Chandigarh, Mandi and Delhi Border because of the Temp no. plate which had the no. like DL 1 TEMP AJ XXXX.
Everywhere I was let off after I showed them the certificate of temp. reg. But yes, the police does tend to stop you more if they spot a Temp. reg. car.
People tend to drive on it for months if they are waiting for a particular no. in a new series. You only need to pay a nominal fine at the RTO for the delay. The cops might take a couple of thousand though.

Last edited by Ajitsingh208 : 11th August 2014 at 11:48. Reason: Added more details
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 08:56   #42
BHPian

Whining when I buy a low cost item and can't use it - perhaps unjustified
e.g. a mobile phone costing under Rs 20k

Whining when I buy a high cost item and can't use it - surely justified!
e.g. a car costing upwards of Rs 700k
Old 12th August 2014, 09:13   #43
BHPian

Blame is definitely on the showroom guys for not making their customer aware of things and giving false hope. This is often seen nowadays. In the pursuit of getting more bookings and faster fund release, they forget about customer service. Result is, customer suffers. No good.
Old 16th August 2014, 02:39   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post
Thanks to everyone who's replied in this post and especially to 'TheLizardKing' for pointing it out and making me realize that I need to stop 'whining' and just wait for the process to be completed.
I'll post and update this thread when the process is completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
I don't think vishalchaudhary has been whining. It is disgusting enough that he has had to wait 18 days without being able to drive his car, and that he has to wait another unknown number of days before (hopefully) getting his number. It is actually nice on his part to part with the number and move back in the queue for no fault of his just so the greedy dealer can carry on his business. If he returns the car now, will he get back a full refund. I would think NO. Nor will he get an August manufactured vehicle for tolerating this nonsense.

The dealer is clearly at fault here in not communicating these technical delays. It isn't the first car those guys have sold, nor is it the first time they are handling a registration. It's not like customers have to undergo a crash course on 'vehicle registration process at your city's RTO'.

Thanks 'i10' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The last time I bought a car, I was told in very clear terms that Delhi RTOs have stopped the concept of releasing cars on temporary number plates. This was told to me by BMW people. Not sure about what's the real story here.

I got the car delivered, not with temporary plates, but with the permanent number as in 'DL 10 CC xxxx' which is the current series of numbers you'll see on cars sold by VW Delhi West, however not the HSRPs. Later, although I had to shift my number ahead because as such the nunber was not registered on my name and because of the RTO delay their other cars were stuck hence they requested and we agreed. I hope I've been able to clarify and explain properly. BTW, if you're still in Delhi and a quick meet is possible anytime before 19th, do let me know via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Whining when I buy a low cost item and can't use it - perhaps unjustified
e.g. a mobile phone costing under Rs 20k

Whining when I buy a high cost item and can't use it - surely justified!
e.g. a car costing upwards of Rs 700k
Totally agree, and the final cost of the car with the accessories and extended warranty is almost Rs. 9.25 lacs !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Blame is definitely on the showroom guys for not making their customer aware of things and giving false hope. This is often seen nowadays. In the pursuit of getting more bookings and faster fund release, they forget about customer service. Result is, customer suffers. No good.

The update is that - on 12th August evening, we were informed that the RTO issue has been sorted out, and that the number that we had agreed to shift to can be alloted to us, although even till now - neither do I have any documents of registration or any receipt regarding the same nor the HSRPs have been affixed on the car. I'll visit the dealership on the weekend and enquire and discuss about the same. I expect that, all these issues will be addressed and solved by next week.

Please Note - I started this post not to complain regarding the unfair treatment or situation, but being a member of the forum, I wanted to share and inform about this issue to the members of the forum.

Last edited by vishalchaudhary : 16th August 2014 at 02:42.
Old 16th August 2014, 11:29   #45
BHPian

The process that Jag4 explained is strange and unheard of in the south to my knowledge But if that's the case then i don't see a way for you to hold on to the number . Infact i think the dealer has been kind enough to not go ahead and register a different car with the number allotted to you without your knowledge . Verbal agreements in this day and age are very tricky.

And as to your point about having to move behind people who bought their cars after you , You don't really have a choice till the RTO database has been updated. If you don't budge then there are 2 things that will happen (1) The cars purchased after you are stuck too because i am sure the dealer can't let too many unregistered vehicles to ply on road (2) Your plates are as is illegal .

My suggestion would be to let go of the number and insist that the dealer provides temp reg plates so you are free to drive around for 30 days . And within that time hope the RTO database is updated . Cheers !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks