Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2014, 12:16   #46
BHPian

RTO registration delays with freshly launched cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
insist that the dealer provides temp reg plates so you are free to drive around for 30 days . And within that time hope the RTO database is updated . Cheers !!

I don't think 30 days valid temporary reg. can be done until the RTO database is updated. Could it?

Edit: Turns out it could be completely different from this. Just spoke to a friend and it seems the RTO here has been updated same time the Polo was launched. He mentioned something about form 22 which could cause the delay, which as far as i understood is not a delay from RTO's side.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 16th August 2014 at 12:25.
Old 16th August 2014, 14:43   #47
BHPian

Re: RTO registration delays with freshly launched cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
The process that Jag4 explained is strange and unheard of in the south to my knowledge But if that's the case then i don't see a way for you to hold on to the number . Infact i think the dealer has been kind enough to not go ahead and register a different car with the number allotted to you without your knowledge . Verbal agreements in this day and age are very tricky.
It sure is, you can ask any delhi resident if they know which RTO has registered their car and most of them will be confused.
Many of us have only been to the RTO for getting our driving license's made.
The dealer's have been handling the registration for as long as I can remember.

The dealer may/may not have foreseen such problems so I don't know whether we should blame them.

Last edited by Jag4 : 16th August 2014 at 14:51.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 14:59   #48
i10
BHPian

I am not sure if it still the case, but when I bought my car in Chennai, the registration was done by the dealer as a process. While they didn't have a series of numbers, I was definitely given a choice to select a number in a very large range - and even got it. My understanding is that it is standard and mandated procedure to register the car before handing it over to the customer.
Old 16th August 2014, 15:09   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
The dealer's have been handling the registration for as long as I can remember.

The dealer may/may not have foreseen such problems so I don't know whether we should blame them.
Since you have said it yourself that all the registration works are taken care by the dealer then how can they forsee such an issue to a customer who has booked and bought the car and is awaiting registration.

He is not able to drive that new car but keep it as a show piece just because of the negligence of the dealer. They should have told him prior to purchase about the problem that will arise.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 16:22   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
then how can they forsee such an issue

Please read post #31 on this thread before reading my reply.

I think you meant how can they 'not' foresee such an issue.
Well, I live in delhi and almost every new POLO that I have seen on the road doesn't seem to have the HSRP's.
So that means that not only this RTO, all RTO's over Delhi are still getting their database updated. Maybe it's a system block, maybe some files are pending approval or whatever but you will have to give them the benefit of doubt on this issue.

Quote:
He is not able to drive that new car but keep it as a show piece just because of the negligence of the dealer. They should have told him prior to purchase about the problem that will arise.

Anurag.
AFAIK, he has been allotted a new number with new plastic plates and he can drive around without a hassle. I think it's better if we pay more attention while reading the thread before posting on it. No offence.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 16:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post
I got the car delivered, not with temporary plates, but with the permanent number as in 'DL 10 CC xxxx' which is the current series of numbers you'll see on cars sold by VW Delhi West, however not the HSRPs.

The update is that - on 12th August evening, we were informed that the RTO issue has been sorted out, and that the number that we had agreed to shift to can be alloted to us, although even till now - neither do I have any documents of registration or any receipt regarding the same nor the HSRPs have been affixed on the car. I'll visit the dealership on the weekend and enquire and discuss about the same. I expect that, all these issues will be addressed and solved by next week.
The permanent number that you're talking about is only alloted after the requisite fees are paid to the RTO, just a clarification. The dealer was wrong in fixing a number plate in the car when the number was not actually alloted.

It is good news that all the problems can now be sorted out and the registration process can be completed. Hope you can enjoy driving your car soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Also does this whole number booking thing differ from small cities to Metros? Here we can book our number online for Rs.3000 or the dealer would do it for you showing the list from the Motor Vehicles Dept. site itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
My understanding is that it is standard and mandated procedure to register the car before handing it over to the customer.
Yes it is mandatory to register the car before it is handed over to the customer. This system may be followed in the metros, specially in the south, but in smaller cities (particularly I can say about Chattisgarh) it is not followed. In our state all the major car dealers are located in the capital city of Raipur except a select few like Maruti, Hyundai and Tata, but the cars are registered under different RTO's throughout the state. The dealer delivers the vehicles with the trade certificates and do not even bother to go for the temp. registration, they actually pocket that money also.

I have never heard of any case where the police would harass anybody for driving with the trade certificate in a brand new car.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 12:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post
Hello all BHPians,

We bought the New Polo 1.5 TDI copper orange from VW Delhi West. We took the delivery on 23/07/2014 and all the payment was made on or before that day. The car is hypothecated with Syndicate Bank.

VW Delhi West says that there is some issue with the registration of the New Polo TDI in Delhi and hence car delivered to us was with normal plates and not the HSRPs.

It has been so many days and they have been saying that so far they haven't been able to sort out the problem.

Today, they told us to change the number alloted to us and shift it ahead so that the 20 odd cars that have been delivered to customers after us can be registered as the registration process moves in sequential numbers and hence unless our car is registered those cars can't be.

We haven't agreed and we don't want to budge as the number we chose is to our liking and is good.

Now, my queries are -

1.) The dealer says that the RTO issue is because a new engine has been introduced !! What exactly can be the reason for the registration problems ?

2.) The documents given to us so far nowhere mention the number allotted to us, although we have the normal plates on the car, pictures clicked on delivery day outside the showroom, entry on the dealer's register for gate pass before delivery. Can the dealer change the number even if we disagree ?

Long Story Short -

1.) New Polo is launched on 15th July 2014. Like mentioned in the thread that when a new model / new engine is launched the RTO database can take around a month to be updated. Since the petrol engine was the same, this issue was with the new 1.5 TDI diesel only. Usually, companies get the database updated before launching the new car to avoid such issues, however, this time around, because of some or the other reason, it couldn't or wasn't done.

2.) We had paid a booking amount of Rs.25,000/- sometime before the launch of the New Polo. The remaining Rs.8,37,517/- was transferred to VW Delhi West-World Class Automobiles Pvt. Ltd. on 16th July 2014, the net amount being Rs.8,62,517/- for the On-Road Price of the New Polo Highline 1.5 TDI and the extended warranty and extended Road Side Assistance and Zero-Dep Insurance.

3.) We took delivery of the car on 23rd July 2014 after paying the remaining Rs.61,000/- for the accessories, etc. bringing the net cost of the car to Rs.9,23,517/- The car was delivered with a permanent number (not a Temp. one) although not with the HSRPs or any receipt of registration with the assurance that it will be done soon and we should avoid driving the car much.

4.) Some days later, we are contacted that the permanent number that we had chosen to be allotted to us will have to be given up so that the registration process can be moved forward for the other cars. We agree to shift the number ahead by 18.

5.) On 12th August 2014, we are contacted that the new number allotted to us will be ready in a couple of days. On 13th August 2014, we get the number changed from the earlier one to the one that is 18 ahead in sequence although still on normal plates and not the HSRPs. We are told that we can drive the car if we want to, although we aren't given any RTO receipt.

6.) On 21st August 2014, we are contacted that the number has finally been registered and we can collect the RTO receipt and other papers from the dealership. We are told that the HSRPs will be ready in 2 days.

7.) On 22nd August 2014, we are told that the HSRPs are ready and we can get them fixed from the dealership. We do so and all's well that ends well.

Now, I can say that I've got no issues with the dealership and have been driving the car without any issues.

Will be posting the initial ownership thread soon with pictures and details.

Mods can continue / close this thread as they may deem fit.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by vishalchaudhary : 30th August 2014 at 12:25.

Most Viewed