Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 12:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting numbers. The Mobilio off to an alright start, but the Ertiga doesn't seem to be fazed by it, as many expected. The other big one for me is the Corolla, doing quite well when compared to the competition. Clocking almost 900 units in the month in two consecutive months is impressive, but I'd like to see if that continues.

Sadly, the Cruze and Chevrolet seem to be losing to the plot. They really need to rethink their strategy if they are to turn their fortunes around.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 12:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

There's an error in the manufacturer chart - Honda's numbers should be 15701. Looks like Mobilio is not included here.

It appears that Tata's relaunch of Aria is helping it slightly. The numbers, though not significant, are definitely an improvement. Is it too far fetched to think that it may reach upto 1K in the long run?

Last edited by safari_lover : 9th August 2014 at 12:31.
safari_lover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 13:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
There's an error in the manufacturer chart - Honda's numbers should be 15701. Looks like Mobilio is not included here
Error rectified. Updated charts uploaded. Thanks.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 13:52   #19
BHPian

Big News : Honda becomes # 3 in the Indian market and the Brio numbers slip. As mentioned by Aditya, could be due to capacity planning at the plant to roll off initial Mobilio numbers. However, with new Polo and Punto how long can Honda afford to wait to get the updated Brio to our shores ?
Old 9th August 2014, 13:55   #20
BHPian

I think despite the slight upturn in the fortunes of the automobile market there are plenty of companies that seem very vulnerable. The story of Tata is quite famous so we can avoid talking of that. GM-Chevrolet is really staring at a crisis perhaps worse than what it faced in India in 2008 when the global market melt down started. Four digit sales are only for the Beat and the Tavera and both are under the 1500 mark. The Aveo twins were doing better than the Sail twins and that speaks volumes about how much GM has understood India, post Karl Slym. Pity the man is no more.

I think if I were Hyundai I would be worried. The rapid decline of the i10 is perhaps acceptable because of the fact that the Grand i10 does look a great deal like the old i10. The Grand i10, the Xcent (despite that horrible name) and the Eon are the only models doing numbers in excess of 5000 while the rest are mainly languishing around the 2000 mark.

Honda should be fancying its chance of rising to number 2 in the market. The Amaze has been amazing, the City is reeling in the numbers and the Mobilio is off to a promising start. If the Jazz is priced sensibly and if the Brio sales can be invigorated (74 as has been pointed out by a moderator is due to the suspension of production for the sake of the Mobilio) then I can see Honda aiming for the second spot. So Hyundai is not invulnerable. And unlike with Hyundai, the Honda brand has the potential to sell big cars.

The Datsun story is going all awry. Mistake number one was to sell the Datsun Go alongside Nissan products which were never doing so well. The second and even bigger mistake is the trim level strategy. The D and the A trim levels are practically useless with black bumpers, no AC and no stereo disc player (I think the disc player is still important anywhere in the world with audiophiles preferring to listen to music coming from a disc rather than an Ipod or a USB stick). If I were Nissan, I would rethink my strategy. It seems that with Indians the strategy should be more features for less money and not inexpensive as in less money for even less features. The balance between price and features is very important for new comers.

But if we were to go by the Reserve Bank of India's savvy Governor Raghuram Rajan's prognosis for the world economy which came out today, it seems that the global economy is headed for another massive recessionary cycle like that of the Great Depression of 1929. If he is right in seeing such a calamitous economic downturn than quite a few manufacturers will take a hit in various different auto markets across the world and that may just separate the school boys on pocket money from the deep pocketed and well to do gents. Let us all hope that Rajan is wrong.

Last edited by sadsack : 9th August 2014 at 14:00.
sadsack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 13:57   #21
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Plus one can see the segment-wise total sales trend over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:
Attached Thumbnails
July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg  

July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg  

July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg  

July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 15:57   #22
BHPian

Long awaited !!!
D1 segment there is a drop for all car maker on MoM. If you compare YoY , the DI segment is still better off this year.
Even Hyundai Elantra which was holding the figure of 300 steady for last 8 months now goes to 255.
Corolla steady at around 900 for the second month, but Octavia,Elantra, Cruze and Fluence all have big drops. EVEN Jetta from highs of a few months back is on down slide
Seems that C1 and C2 segments are taking away these customers
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 15:57   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
They need to 'facelift' their after sales and dealership experiences too. Just getting facelift and fresh models won't help them much to set the charts on fire.

VAG cars are good to own and live with ONLY till warranty is existent, after that God help the owner. I do love cars from VW specially the New Polo and Vento but for their reputation and after sales.
True, but the poor after sales situation for Skoda was always there, and even with the DSG/mechatronics wows, the Superb was selling well. The segment anyway is a no-mover now, and the D1 segment cars getting so close to D2 for space and comfort.

And for the Fluence, I don't think its really with the manufacturer or after sales. They are still doing good numbers with the Duster.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 16:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
True, but the poor after sales situation for Skoda was always there, and even with the DSG/mechatronics wows, the Superb was selling well. The segment anyway is a no-mover now, and the D1 segment cars getting so close to D2 for space and comfort.
With the A3 priced so aggressively IMHO, the Octavia's goose is well and properly cooked. The Superb will escape calamity because it continues to appeal to the chauffeur driven.
Ferruccio is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 16:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
With the A3 priced so aggressively IMHO, the Octavia's goose is well and properly cooked.
True that anyone considering a top-end Octavia will most likely look at the A3, but the base A3 is woefully underspecced. The only reason one would go for it is the badge, if you were to compare the top-end Octavia to the base A3 it's no competition in terms of features and space whatsoever. The A3 will surely do very well for itself, but if Skoda can ensure a strong supply of Octavia's they should be just fine. The only reason we're seeing such mediocre numbers for the Octavia is a weak supply of the cars from Skoda itself. They really do know how to shoot themselves in the foot!
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 21:34   #26

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2014 at 10:20.
sugato_basu is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th August 2014, 22:41   #27
BHPian

Much awaited post!

Maruti's consistent performance is commendable! Top 4 and total 9 models in top 20!
Whatever they launch is a bumper hit (barring exceptions like Kizashi). Alto's and WagonR's loss is sales is who's gain? Ritz is the best example how only looks can spoil a good product despite all other factors being right. Whereas products having same engines; Swift, Dzire are chart busters.
What surprises me is the lack of competition for Omni and Eeco. I mean cars with monocoque body, rear axle - rear wheel drive which can look like a bit of car but primarily used for utility. Why no other manufacturer is targeting this segment?

Its sad to know despite attractive pricing and the Aston Martin like looks, a brilliant car Fiesta is not picking up. Why Ford has become a snail in launching new products in Indian market? May be world's best selling car like Focus can be an answer to some disproportionate and awkward looking C1 segment cars?

Honda is on fire! Both in 2 wheeler's and 4 wheeler's market! City is an undisputed king of C2 segment. Things will more spice up once Jazz is launched. Though fall is Brio's numbers is shocking. Honda doesn't seem keen either in selling Brio.

A decade old product like old i10 with only petrol burner under its belly, is still going strong and beating comparatively new products like Sail UVA, Brio, Punto, Figo combined is confusing to me. Same applies to Santro. Hyundai is milking Santro.

There are still buyers for ugly cars like Vibe, Quanto! While a potent product like Thar has no shipments!
StepUP! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 22:58   #28
gemi_kk

Interesting month. Media saying the sales grew, but i see it otherwise.

Maruti Logic to split Alto numbers with Celerio worked well. I bet they will strip the Dzire numbers with their upcoming Sedan. And then they will launch a SUV or so called the Urban SUV. All in all, they haven't lost not even an Alto customer. Impressive show from them.

Honda, Even i don't understand how come Honda is #3 in india. Amaze numbers slipped, but Mobilio number hardly meets earlier Amaze's 7K. Could some one clearly explain.

Renault's every car except duster is doing double digits. I am sure they are working hard to pull duster numbers too, but people aren't letting it happen. Sad to see such a competent company doing nothing towards its sales. Nissan seems to be somewhat in a better place than Renault. With triple digit numbers

Mahindra's XUV Numbers started slipping. This came to me as a surprise. I never thought their numbers going down. Particularly this model. Xylo numbers are week too. High time for Mahindra to do something about their portfolio.

Honda met expectations. They are working hard to build up new capacity. Game will change once they have enough plant capacity.

Good news. Nissan Closes to Honda in US. Supported by good designs and better discounts.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nissan...--finance.html
The Opposite is happening in india. Bad designs complemented by pathetic so called discounts increasing the gap between Honda and Nissan.

Skoda, VW are performing as expected. No corrections/actions required from them to shut shop in less than a year.

Now comes the FIAT. Which actually doesn't do anything good. They worked hard in building a better front and rear in the form of an upgrade, but they forgot to work on the heart. I bet the sales of this month primarily contributed just because of their humongous discounts. If not, they wouldn't have sold even half of the current numbers.

Its high time for FIAT to maintain a single Petrol engine and two diesel engines and two transmissions. The perfect recipe is leave all permutations to the customer. 1.2/1.3 Turbo petrol + 1.25 MJD + 1.6 MJD. Why two petrol engines FIAT? And that too in india, where Petrol is perceived as a premium one.
  (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 23:12   #29

Mods, I suggest that car models not selling / officially stopped by Manufactures for the last 6 months may be removed from the charts to keep them clutter free. Eg. Teana, Kizashi, Monerto, Grand Vitara, Pruis etc.

Vento, slipping to 500+. A product that displaced the Segment Leader 'Honda City' when launched in 2010 is now running for cover or a facelift is around the corner

Since I own a FIAT Punto, its sad to see that FIAT is not generating any interest. I hope that new Punto helps them to recover some ground.

Duster + Terrano is selling ~3000 cars even with all thier campaigns. Seems to have lost ground to Mobilo ? Even though Technically speaking they are not the same segment. Need to keep an eye here.

Rapid will all thier campaign is not selling in more numbers ? Skoda Management need to think why ?

Fluence is a real potent car but with a tiny heart. Renualt should consider bringing a higher capacity engine on this car. 1.6 Diesel ?

Will be interesting to see August figures with new launches - Punto Evo, Elite i20, Tata Zest and the real effect of Mobilo.
AUTO_ZING is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 23:28   #30
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Team-BHP does NOT permit a public discussion on Moderator activities. We will NOT tolerate trolling.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2014 at 10:22.
rsidd is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks