Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 05:25   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Also note that Fiesta number is now combined Classic + new Fiesta.
Exactly. In spite of the low numbers, they still want to play hard to get me game? Either:

- Production is not ramped up on the new Fiesta.
- Or its still Ecosport; export focussed.

Price and numbers just don't explain the logic for the new Fiesta.
Old 11th August 2014, 09:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
I think if I were Hyundai I would be worried. The rapid decline of the i10 is perhaps acceptable because of the fact that the Grand i10 does look a great deal like the old i10. The Grand i10, the Xcent (despite that horrible name) and the Eon are the only models doing numbers in excess of 5000 while the rest are mainly languishing around the 2000 mark.
Quite so. Hyundai now has much more number of fresh models and variants than earlier (just one less than maruti, if you are not counting Grand Vitara and Kizashi which are practically non existent in the market) and their market share is still not improving. If Honda could maintain the current momemntum, I too see them inching closer to Hyundai. Maybe even Tata can pull off a coup with their new line up. Interesting times ahead for number watchers.

Last edited by CoolFire : 11th August 2014 at 10:03.
Old 11th August 2014, 11:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Exactly. In spite of the low numbers, they still want to play hard to get me game? Either:

- Production is not ramped up on the new Fiesta.
- Or its still Ecosport; export focussed.

Price and numbers just don't explain the logic for the new Fiesta.
Ford India strategy is totally beyond my comprehension. It seems that they have decided to manage only 1 volume selling model at a time in there portfolio. They started with Ikon, after a long gap they finally managed to get Figo. Then came Ecosport after the huge buzz and I don't need to repeat the screw up they have done with there deliveries, which actually helped the likes of Duster. And now with some hype created for the new fiesta there is hardly any on the roads.
Old 11th August 2014, 11:20   #49
BHPian

Corolla has been selling 800-900 copies a month, while it's more rounded, and more cherished competitors (Octavia, Jetta and Elantra) are struggling to sell that much, put together ! So much for the dressing down the car got on it's launch.
Vitalstatistiks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 11:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
TOI reported that Honda is the No 3 in India as per July sales. But this report shows M&M is still No 3.
Shalini

This report is correctly showing Honda is the no. 3.

Name:  Image.png
Views: 2563
Size:  275.2 KB

Some observations:

Maruti Suzuki

1) MS is going from strength to strength and Alto suffers a huge fall MoM. Dzire the new king. WR also loses 32% from its last month spike to 17xxx nos.

2) Good to see that in spite of sustained competition and newer products from the rivals, MS is holding on to the 47% market share. Proof enough of their commitment levels, public perception and product quality.

3) Omni Sales -63XX. Wow. Surprising it still sells the way it does. A 20 year matchbox selling much more than the newer, better options!!

Fiat

The leader above and the laggard. How do you justify a 0.3% market share.

This is inspite of the fact that the stable has two of the most beautiful cars in the market. One of them recently updated(Linea) and the Punto Evo just being launched. Does it ever break even?

Mahindra

Only three mega hits from a portfolio of 9 cars- Bolero, Scorpio and XUV drive the sales. Obviously, they are not only volume generators but also are profit making for M&M.

Quanto, Vibe, Verito, Xylo all rest. Time to RIP!!

Skoda

Fall of the Fallen.
0.58% but Skoda could have been at 10X that no. Indians had given them a rousing welcome and old Octavia owners are still sought after.

Yet horror stories surfaced and they chopped their legs and hands themselves to such an extent that they cant even crawl properly.

Even the superb "Superb" (pun intended) has fallen out of favour.

Hyundai

A success story. Superlative products, superlative results.

All superstars in the line up.

Eon,Grand i10, Xcent, Verna, Elantra. All volume contributors for the Korean giant.
Elite i20 will soon join the race.

Honda

Hail the new No. 3. City goes from strength to strength. Yet poor production planning may see M&M overtake then next month.

Mobilio preference over Brio has already cost the little one over 1500 cars. Now, sacrificing City would not only mean sacrificing their bread and butter but also a big profit margin. Mobilio doesnt have what it takes to be a rock star. Period!!

Tata

Nothing noteworthy now. Zest is around the corner. A distant no. 6 from its earlier No. 3. Tata can "zestfully" look at no. 4?? Time and pricing will tell.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 11:46   #51
BHPian

What it takes to post a post like this

I saw a link to sales analysis by management-punditz.blogspot for July 2014, in the last month's sales analysis. There were countless errors in that page, which gave the wrong message. I'm not belittling the effort by others, only writing what I realized - It can be late, but needs to be accurate.....it takes time to make a quality report!

Thanks TBhp for giving us quality analysis, month after month.

One thing which continues to make me wonder is swinging WagonR sales over last 5 months (-30%) this month. What causes this? I doubt if this has relation to buying pattern. Looks more like - changing production mix or push to dealership or something else, or a combination of many such reasons.
Old 11th August 2014, 13:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes but looks like very limited quantities. I haven't seen a single new Fiesta yet on the road.

Also note that Fiesta number is now combined Classic + new Fiesta.
Exactlythe point Vidyut.

Not seen even a single New Fiesta on road and its been almost 2 months since the launch.

Surprisingly, saw 2 Mobilios which was launched just a few weeks back.

Ford strategy is going hay wire!!
Old 11th August 2014, 13:37   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Ford strategy is going hay wire!!
Only if they had one! They would have much better placed only if they had chose to 'sell' the Ecosport to Indians. There were people who were willing to lap up the product even after frequent price hikes. But now the initial spark has turned colder. I think that Ford cannot complain, esp. after they made a mess of a blockbuster themselves.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 14:44   #54
BHPian

Honda is selling more 12 lac rupees city than the 6 lac iGrand! Talk about come back!!

BTW, someone please tell me who is buying those 6000 odd omnis !!
Old 11th August 2014, 15:37   #55
AMP

Most awaited thread of the month is out! Thank you Aditya for monthly analysis and the data.

My Observations:

Maruti:
Dzire is the new Boss in the town with around 18K+ average of units sold per month. Swift is next in the league.

Don’t understand why numbers for Alto vary too much every month. It has yo-yo performance from last few months. May be it is an early signs of paradigm shift in consumer’s buying power.

It seems Celerio is now settled at 6K units per months.

It’s a high time for Maruti to bring in the replacement for SX4. It only shipped 1391 units in last 6 months.

Honda:
Why an abrupt fall in Brio numbers? It was at least selling around 500 units in last few months.

No brakes for City, it is easily grossing 7000 units

Hyundai
I10 and I10 grand combined selling less than Wagon R. Personally, I think i10 grand is a better car than Wagon R.

I20 also losing its number every month. Nearly a 50% drop from last month. People might be delaying their purchase for all new i20.
Old 11th August 2014, 16:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shalini

This report is correctly showing Honda is the no. 3.
TBHP report didn't include the Mobilio numbers under Honda initially which in turn made it slot below Mahindra in total sales. It was updated later (after the members pointed it out) to include the Mobilio numbers and everything got corrected.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 16:52   #57
BANNED

Maruti is holding its fort even after so many launches from opponents!

Whoever launches a new product that will not eat each much into its own models, can keep / increase their market shares, while new launches that eat into their own pie, will cause problems!

Gi10. The loser is i10.
Eon? The loser is Santro.
City? The loser is Amaze.
Ecosport? The loser is Figo (?).
Ertiga? The loser was SX4, but Ertiga gained more numbers than what SX4 lost.

Now The loser is Amaze.consider Celerio. Maruti didn't seem to lose any of the sale from its existing models.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 11th August 2014 at 16:54.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 16:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Maruti is holding its fort even after so many launches from opponents!

Whoever launches a new product that will not eat each much into its own models, can keep / increase their market shares, while new launches that eat into their own pie, will cause problems!

Gi10. The loser is i10.
Eon? The loser is Santro.
City? The loser is Amaze.
Ecosport? The loser is Figo (?).
Ertiga? The loser was SX4, but Ertiga gained more numbers than what SX4 lost.

Now The loser is Amaze.consider Celerio. Maruti didn't seem to lose any of the sale from its existing models.
Romeo, would like to challenge that.

Celerio gained on account of Wagon R. WR lost almost 31% share MoM where as Celerio gained significantly.

Ertiga also did not compete in the SX4 space but MS took lead and created a MUV segment which earlier didnt exist at that price bracket(Innova was a much more expensive option and Xylo didnt have that finnesse)
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 17:14   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
BTW, someone please tell me who is buying those 6000 odd omnis !!
Pics from the Omni website . In terms of rate per sq. ft., the Omni offers the cheapest real estate in India. The cargo version starts at merely 2.17 lakhs in Delhi.

July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-images_ambulance.jpg

July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 17:15   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Celerio gained on account of Wagon R. WR lost almost 31% share MoM where as Celerio gained significantly.

Ertiga also did not compete in the SX4 space
WR was selling around the 10-12K mark for a long time. (Please don't consider sudden spikes like in the sales of WR last month). And it is still at that mark.

I agree that Ertiga is not in the SX4 space, but post Ertiga's launch, SX4 never crossed 500 mark, which, earlier was selling around 2-3K a month, I guess.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed