Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 18:24   #76
D4D
BHPian

Re: July 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

• As usual, Japanese cars dominate
  • Why isn't the Xcent denting the Dzire hard. It's better in almost every department
  • Toyota can do wonders if the get the Yaris and Vios in. Hope they're reading this
  • VAG is just free-falling.
  • Maruti decided against expansion for Diesel engine production. Ford, take a hint: Best time to get Fiesta+EcoBoost
  • Hyundai can to wonders with a mini-MPV(read, Ertiga/Mobilio rival). They have a great 1.6 liter diesel motor.
Old 13th August 2014, 19:41   #77
BHPian

Fabulous as always!

The problem with best selling cars is the best seller itself. Look at the Innova. Completely shadows other Toyota cars! They haven't sold a Prius for the past 6 months.

The most surprising bit was the Kizashi. Is it still sold?

The best thing was seeing the Celerio making it to the top 10, meaning a major chunk of the population gracefully accepting the AMT. Expect similar figures for the Zest next month. Would not be surprised if fleet owners adopt it aggressively.

Fiat really need a crack on and sure hope the Punto will help set the cash registers going. Give the Avventura an AWD and they are set.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
  • As usual, Japanese cars dominate
  • Why isn't the Xcent denting the Dzire hard. It's better in almost every department
Well I don't think this is true. Dzire has better Engine options compared to Xcent. Also the FE figures are higher compared to Xcent. Also the reason why people buy Dzire is because
1.More accomplished product.
2.More service/sales centres and hence better reach.
3.Important one: better resale value.
4.Much more fun to drive when compared to Xcent.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:16   #79
BANNED

Quote:
[*]Why isn't the Xcent denting the Dzire hard. It's better in almost every department
Agree that the Xcent is better in many angle like features vs price paid, looks, quality - In short the Xcent is VFM.

But both the P & D engines are slightly better off in the Dzire as compared to the Xcent.

To add to what PrideRed has said below,

I feel word-of-mouth for the Dzire is by and large better for the Dzire as compared to the Xcent. We'll need to give that car a bit more time so that it sinks into people that such a compact sedan from Hyundai exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post

Also the reason why people buy Dzire is because
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th August 2014 at 10:17.
Old 14th August 2014, 17:16   #80
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Well I don't think this is true. Dzire has better Engine options compared to Xcent. Also the FE figures are higher compared to Xcent. Also the reason why people buy Dzire is because
To be honest, if the Dzire was from any other brand other than MS, Xcent launch would just make it insignificant.

Saying that, Xcent has the better petrol engine, is more spacious and very good in ASS department. Resale values of Hyundais are generally good too.

No taking away that Dzire is more fun to drive.
Old 15th August 2014, 13:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

The Xcent also ahs a quirky rear with the metal surrounds on the tail lamps. Makes the rear look tacky and a looks like an after market mod. Moreover the tail light cluster does not jell with the overall looks of the car (from other angles it is quite decent).

The extra cylinder in case of the Diesel is a definite + for the Dzire. Moreover Maruti Post Sales service is the best in the country.
Old 15th August 2014, 14:27   #82
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The Xcent also ahs a quirky rear with the metal surrounds on the tail lamps. Makes the rear look tacky and a looks like an after market mod. Moreover the tail light cluster does not jell with the overall looks of the car (from other angles it is quite decent).
Bang on! I had the exact same feelings when I saw the rear. I still feel Hyundai did an abysmal job with the rear of the Xcent. The surrounds on the tail lamp look ugly, and even otherwise the boot looks like an afterthought when seen from the rear. The only area that didn't impress me in an otherwise very competent car.
Old 17th August 2014, 13:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Looks like I totally forgot about the much hyped Datsun Go- it has fallen below the 1k mark this month. It is going in the same path as Nano, although much faster.

Once the initial launch related hype was over, I thought it to be destined for a slow death. From the numbers, I'm not sure if it is really going to be as slow as I imagined. Unless they already started working on a facelift, and cut the production, it doesn't look like they really stand a chance.

Presence of Datsun Go for some more time could mean 2 models eventually getting scrapped - Go and Nano, both of which are supposed to be in the so called "high volume segment" and seems to be selling less than the number Audi can manage.
Old 19th August 2014, 09:40   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Hyundai can to wonders with a mini-MPV(read, Ertiga/Mobilio rival). They have a great 1.6 liter diesel motor.
The present 1.6 litre engine doing duty in Verna et. al. is not suitable for continuous heavy loading (the performance as well as efficiency to deliver km/l drops drastically when the drag resistance of body shell changes for this engine).

More so Hyundai has 9 and 11 passenger movers already available in their arsenal and thus if required they can take Toyota Innova head on.

As of now it seems that the company is focusing on the sales of present set of cars, the exports have been curtailed to cater to Indian demand.

I am not sure but their strategy is slightly different as Honda is fast approaching for claiming new position because of mass market offerings, we might get to see new developments with respect to Hyundai India strategy around end of this year.

Cheers
Old 19th August 2014, 09:56   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Presence of Datsun Go for some more time could mean 2 models eventually getting scrapped - Go and Nano, both of which are supposed to be in the so called "high volume segment" and seems to be selling less than the number Audi can manage.
This is classic case of misreading the improving earning powers of Indian and their knowhow of market viz. VFM Vs outright cheap offering. The analysts picked up the demand of cheaper hatchback/sedan in 2000 or even earlier, the product launches did took its own time, resulting in fate of the mentioned models. I would not be surprised if Indica (super hit then) would have seen similar fate, if launched today.

The cheap segment has directly fight with 2nd hand market today as people do like to move up segments/models quicker. The 2nd hand market does offer better value most of the time.

The monthwise car sales is great, is their any way of knowing how many cars sold in seconds market or re-registered for a month to make it a holistic picture. Moderators?
Old 19th August 2014, 19:13   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
BTW, someone please tell me who is buying those 6000 odd omnis !!
To my knowledge, cabbies. I learnt this from one of my long Colaba to Mumbai Airport ride in an Omni cab. Apparently, its most profitable to buy and register an Omni as a city cab and use it to hauling fairly heavy cargo to/ for the industrial estates in Thane, Ulhasnagar et al and of course, charge the customer a flat fee for cargo haulage. These are not bales of fabric, more like heavy machinery parts from the port and from the fabricators. Also heavy vats of chemicals whose movement is otherwise quite strictly controlled by the cops along with hazmat license requirements et al. Apparently it happens in NCR as well. Of course, it depreciates the poor delicate Omni really fast, but parts are cheap, and the break-even period low. So, a win-win all around.

THAT is where, I think, most, if not all of the 6000 odd Omnis are headed to.

Human ingenuity never fails to amaze me.
Old 20th August 2014, 11:03   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
This is classic case of misreading the improving earning powers of Indian and their know-how of market viz. VFM Vs outright cheap offering.
Disagree. This is not a pricing related issue, but more of positioning and branding, to start with and quality of the product for the price point, in the long run.

Quote:
The analysts picked up the demand of cheaper hatchback/sedan in 2000 or even earlier, the product launches did took its own time, resulting in fate of the mentioned models. I would not be surprised if Indica (super hit then) would have seen similar fate, if launched today.
Disagree. There EXISTS a market for cars at that price point, let Maruti relaunch car like M800, complying to the new emission norms, with a few cosmetic changes, and a new brand. It will be a hit.

Quote:
The cheap segment has directly fight with 2nd hand market today as people do like to move up segments/models quicker. The 2nd hand market does offer better value most of the time.
Yes and no. There are many in India, who when buying car, have to buy a new one. Sure considering the same price point, second hand car is an option. So is the case in other price points too, you can go as high as you want, you'll get a better VFM used car, to a new one.

Last edited by ravradha : 20th August 2014 at 11:05. Reason: Formatted
Old 27th August 2014, 12:24   #88
BHPian

surprised to see Corolla Altis selling more than Skoda Octavia, VW Jetta, Cruze, eventhough it is poorly equipped. Shows that reliability and ease of service matter. Even if 50% is fleet/ taxi sales, it is still a very good number
Old 27th August 2014, 13:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
surprised to see Corolla Altis selling more than Skoda Octavia, VW Jetta, Cruze, eventhough it is poorly equipped. Shows that reliability and ease of service matter. Even if 50% is fleet/ taxi sales, it is still a very good number
I guess it means two things. One, all the other cars you mentioned were selling on the strength of diesel. With the narrowing of price difference between petrol and diesel, some people are gravitating back towards petrols. Two, people have come to realise the hopeless reliability issues of these German cars. But Chevy? It's not an unrelaible car.

Toyota's success here also is a lesson for Honda which pulled out Civic / Accord and handed over that slice of pie to Toyota on a silver platter. Because I remeber Civics and Accords far far outsold Corollas and Camry(s) in their heydays.
Old 1st September 2014, 12:56   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

August 2014

Maruti Suzuki’s August sales rise 27 pct to 1,10,776 units.

Domestic sales during the month stood at 98,304 units, up 29.3 per cent from 76,018 units in August of previous year.

Sales of mini passenger cars, including Alto, A-Star and WagonR were up 8.3 per cent at 34,686.
Sales of its compact cars, comprising Swift, Estilo, Celerio, Ritz and Dzire were at 46,759
Dzire Tour sales were at 1,328 units
SX4 at 50 units
The company’s sales of utility vehicles, including Ertiga and Gypsy were at 5,491.
Omni and Eeco were at 9,990 units

http://indianexpress.com/article/bus...-110776-units/

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st September 2014 at 13:00.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed