Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 10:42   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford India to start over-the-counter sales of spare parts!

Ford India has taken a step forward and announced that it will start retailing the spare parts of all it's cars in the open market. It is indeed a welcome move and Ford India joins the ranks of Maruti-Suzuki, Mahindra & Mahindra, Tata Motors & Hyundai India, as the 5th car company in India to make it's spare parts available freely in the market.

ACI reports:

Quote:
The over-the-counter sale of spare parts will make it easier for independent chains and neighbourhood garages to service cars.Car owners often find these outlets be a better, cheaper and more convenient option than authorized service stations.

Ford India, until now, like most other multi-national car companies did not retail spare parts to non-authorized outlets which meant owners had no choice but to go to Ford workshops, which are usually more expensive and not always well located. “We found out from our research that customers need us to be far more accessible than what we are today and that was the primary driver for us to open up parts distribution” said Ford India president, Nigel Harris.
SOURCE - ACI

Last edited by RavenAvi : 18th August 2014 at 10:44.
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 11:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford India to start over-the-counter sales of spare parts!

This is the best thing a brand could do for their customers. This atleast gives customer to service/repair themselves or visit any FNGs. No more very expensive service at ASS and other grievances.

Hope other manufacturer's too are headed in same direction in mutual benefit to manufacturers and customers.
funkykar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 12:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Although it is a good move by Ford India, by admitting that their workshops are expensive havent they in a way allowed customers to by default opt for FNG services. Why couldnt they think of ways to make the authorized workshop servicing less expensive after they had spares locally made. Will they still honour the warranty if the service was done from outside? IMO this option of OTC sales should have been in Tier 3 towns as of now where Ford doesnt have much reach.
Old 18th August 2014, 14:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Why couldnt they think of ways to make the authorized workshop servicing less expensive after they had spares locally made. Will they still honour the warranty if the service was done from outside? IMO this option of OTC sales should have been in Tier 3 towns as of now where Ford doesnt have much reach.
Hey,

These are ignorant lines, ghodlur sir. Ford's labour charges are either equal to the industry or lower in many cases (especially compared to Maruti and Hyundai). Very few jobs have outlandish labour, but that is more related to the bodyshop work.

If you must know, the figo's routine service will not exceed 4.5k, routine services for the new fiesta and endeavour max out at 7-8k (lower in case of the fiesta). Go for their maintainence plans with the dealers, and you will be looking for even lower bills (almost toyota level cheap). The only problem with Ford's cars are the number of warranty claims. They are not equivalent to Toyota's.

I have stopped giving my figo to the FNG now, and get the routine jobs done at A.S.S. only. Also, they are now advertising their rubber belts and parts as lasting for 100,000 kms.

Great move by ford, and I really appreciate it

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 16:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Although it is a good move by Ford India, by admitting that their workshops are expensive havent they in a way allowed customers to by default opt for FNG services. Why couldnt they think of ways to make the authorized workshop servicing less expensive after they had spares locally made. Will they still honour the warranty if the service was done from outside? IMO this option of OTC sales should have been in Tier 3 towns as of now where Ford doesnt have much reach.
Isn't everything you mentioned also applicable in the case of MASS? This is not an option for cars in warranty since the warranty would be void if you take your car elsewhere, which is the case even with Maruti.
Old 18th August 2014, 17:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Ford's labour charges are either equal to the industry or lower in many cases (especially compared to Maruti and Hyundai). Very few jobs have outlandish labour, but that is more related to the bodyshop work.

If you must know, the figo's routine service will not exceed 4.5k, routine services for the new fiesta and endeavour max out at 7-8k (lower in case of the fiesta).

Thanks,
Simple_car
I second that, my Figo runs up bills of around 4.5K for the routine 10,000 kms service.
Old 18th August 2014, 18:31   #7
BHPian

[quote=Simple_car;3507825]Hey,

These are ignorant lines, ghodlur sir - I thought ghodlur had a Fiesta 1.6 SXI which he gifted(!) to his BIL and got himself a Grande Punto and knows a wee bit about Ford service costs. But I agree with the point of lower service price now since all Ford-owning pals seem very satisfied with Ford service.
Old 18th August 2014, 18:34   #8
BANNED

Good. May I add that MRTPC had served notice on all of them as well. Let us hope Honda follows next!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 21:29   #9
BHPian

A very good move! This move may be intended for towns where Ford does not have their networks established yet.
mTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 23:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a positive step and will surely have an impact on the company's sales. Customers can no longer be taken for granted and it is better that all companies following such monopolistic policies fall in line and also read the writing on the wall.

Our consumerism movements are too weak and unorganised. That is why these multinationals have been having a field day over here. In a lighter vein they have their own laws and we can see The Skoda Act, The Honda Act, The Toyota Act, The Renault and Nissan Act and many more, which is what the respective company rigidly follows. These are abstract Acts that have no set laws bye-laws and rules and can be broken at the individual company's whim and caprice.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th August 2014 at 23:08.
Old 18th August 2014, 23:48   #11
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3501328

If Nigel Harris is successful in changing the perception of Ford vehicles amongst the Indian masses, it will be a win-win situation for Ford India and Ford owners too.

As an owner of the Ecosport, I look forward to the implementation of this announcement as I have to drive two and a half hours one way to reach the Ford ASC.
Old 19th August 2014, 00:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hope they sell that elusive Castrol 5w30 ford spec oil for diesel engines.

Oh and that sump gasket/washer too.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 08:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Very few jobs have outlandish labour, but that is more related to the bodyshop work.

routine services for the new fiesta and endeavour max out at 7-8k
I do agree that the cost was in the range mentioned when I was getting the my Fiesta serviced at Ford Authorized workshop. But my colleague who had an Ikon 1.6 Nxt and wanted a few Ford spares was flatly refused by the workshop on the condition that he gets the car serviced at the Ford workshop only. The labour cost for an out of warranty car was simply outlandish, thats the reason my colleague wanted to get the car serviced at FNG. The workshop did realize (at that time) that they were losing customer because of Ford's illogical policies. Lets hope with the recent news, more Ford owners will approach the workshops rather than get the cars serviced from outside.
Old 19th August 2014, 08:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hope VW group does the same. What with flagging sales, they may have to look at alternate means of revenue. The lock in period of warranty may not be a permanent solution.
Old 19th August 2014, 10:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is the best initiative that Ford India could have taken in a long long time!!

The Ford parts prices are competitive but what kills is the atrocious labour and the taxes.
Find a competitive FNG and Ford cars can be taken well care of.

I recall to change the Clutch at Ford ASC, I was quoted Rs. 14.5K. Got it done outside at 6K with Valeo clutch and pressure plates. Not that it was a fantastic job but the car held well till I could sell it off!!
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed