Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 08:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

RTO to be scrapped?

@Mods pls move/merge/delete as required

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/40383360.cms

"Union minister of road transport and highways Nitin Gadkari on Monday said the central government was in the process of bringing in a law to scrap regional transport offices (RTO) and replacing them with an efficient alternative system in the next few months."
Guna is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 08:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: RTO to be scrapped?

There is a huge gap between the wish list and the actuals. RTO as said by the minister are indeed the melting pot for corruption and illegal activities. We all know that the RTO system of issuing a driving licence is a big joke in itself. The archaic laws followed by RTO's have helped in mushrooming the agent business and in turn gave a phillip to the insider dealing to get the work done. The big hydra headed monster is in the recertification of vehicles (read heavy) more than 15 yrs old where maximum bribery acts are done.

To be frank, stepping into RTO premises makes me feel I am stepping into Hell.
ghodlur is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 08:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
@Mods pls move/merge/delete as required

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/40383360.cms

"Union minister of road transport and highways Nitin Gadkari on Monday said the central government was in the process of bringing in a law to scrap regional transport offices (RTO) and replacing them with an efficient alternative system in the next few months."
Thanks for the information. He sounds good on his comments that money rules there. But I don't think he will do anything great to change it. Let us wait and see.
Old 19th August 2014, 08:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Interesting piece of information. Considering the below thread where the govt has asked auto companies to furnish engine number and chassis number of the new vehicles directly into the system, something does seem to be cooking.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...cles-sold.html

Question to legal experts: Isn't RTO a state government entity? If so, can Central government draft a rule and dictate how they should or should not operate?
Old 19th August 2014, 08:25   #5
BHPian

As per the article, minister said "There are some outdated laws and systems which need to be scrapped"

Ah! Finally somebody has addressed this. It is a welcome move. Hope this also brings solutions to state-wise issues of overlapping and delays w.r.t. road tax etc. among other good changes to the system.
Old 19th August 2014, 08:36   #6
BHPian

Like the passports they need to centralize the Driving License and the Motor Vehicle Registration setup along with mandatory inspection every year or two.

I am sure atleast in the heavy vehicle category the mandatory inspection will reduce the number of road accidents
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 09:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Makes me happy. Finally a good morning news to wake up to !!
But there is a huge difference between wishlist and reality checks.

I would like to see some steps taken in the near future, which will make me confident that the RTO may be centralised.
Moving huge regional databases to centralised would surely take half a decade, if not less.

Time will have its say.
Old 19th August 2014, 09:13   #8
BHPian

Finally some much needed changes to the Automobile Sector.
1) Centralized Data collection
2) Changes to Safety equipment's in Automobiles.
3) Scraping of old & outdated practices of the RTO,

Future looks Bright.

Hope for additional policies,
1) A system similar to The Ministry of Transport test (MOT test) in which they conduct an annual test of vehicle safety, road-worthiness and exhaust emissions.
2) Strict Traffic Police Policies to help implement - Lane Discipline, Speed Limit, Seat Belt usage & Helmet usage.
3) Compulsory Crash test, for each variant not just high end.
rajchetan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 09:26   #9
BHPian

RTO is one place where rampant corruption exists. From registration to learners license many RTO offices had made hell for the people. He is correct in saying that old rules and regulations must be scrapped .Let us hope new rules and regulations are put up before a committee instead of executing it directly.
Old 19th August 2014, 09:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Trying to stay as apolitical as possible but I think all the recent announcements by the new government should be taken with a pinch of salt as of now. They have just come to power and till now have only talked about changing things and a lot of them infact. All this is good for media attention and makes great news but how much of it is actually feasible or legally possible is yet to be ascertained.

If they are able to achieve this then it surely is commendable. As most people have experienced here, even I wasted 3 days while getting my DL from delhi RTO because I had promised myself to get it made without giving a bribe to a agent. And the whole process is really tedious and time consuming. Would be great if they can make most of this stuff online just like buying a car insurance policy these days where you can pay your taxes etc online itself.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 09:42   #11
BHPian

I might just be talking too much here. Govt needs to install driving simulators. Drivers need to be put through couple of situations on the simulator.

For example:
1. 'Me first, to hell with the rest' policy. How can drivers know that yielding to fellow drivers at non regualted junctions will greatly improve traffic flow.
2. Yield to pedestriants. Jay walking needs to be curbed as well. I feel like a chicken while crossing the road. I take a few tentative steps in the beginning, heart is going puk-puk. Then I see a car/bike/lorry barelling down the road not slowing down at all and off I go puk-puk-pukaaak running across the road. Its sad to see that old people/children facing the same problem.
3. Other serious matters like driving in the rain, driving in ghats, using low beam and thanks for not blinding the other drivers, controlling fish tail.

Let them charge for it, but it will make newbie drivers a whole lot better.

Last edited by Blue_V : 19th August 2014 at 09:43.
Blue_V is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 09:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Question to legal experts: Isn't RTO a state government entity? If so, can Central government draft a rule and dictate how they should or should not operate?
Not a legal expert but AFAIK, laws relating to motor vehicles is in the concurrent list in our constitution. Meaning both center and state can formulate laws on this subject. If there is a conflict, its the central law that prevails.

So my guess is, GoI is planning to bring in a central law which will override the state laws relating to RTOs.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 09:45   #13
BHPian

Very important step IMO!

Gadkari ji's nationalist business es would certainly benefit from this step! More money to be made at central level than at state level!

And with a centralised RTO, will be easier to get pan-India clearances for all those electric buses imported from China which are now rotting away in Purti Group's godowns in Nagpur!
COUGAR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 10:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
RTO is one place where rampant corruption exists. From registration to learners license many RTO offices had made hell for the people. He is correct in saying that old rules and regulations must be scrapped .Let us hope new rules and regulations are put up before a committee instead of executing it directly.
Its a matter of execution. RTO in Mumbai has brought in a new learners license system that is completely agent / corruption free & quite superb.

You take an online appointment in half an hour slots & entire group moves from room to room - completely paperless system including biometrics, onscreen electronic test, instant results at the end of the test & learners license issued 15 mins after the test, entire cycle done in an hour.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 10:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Would be good if the RTO is Scrapped. But does it not belie the fact that after the RTO is scrapped, who will man the new agency? not the very same people ...I hope!
Secondly, agents make use of people's fears of governmental procedure, or the lack of information about the procedure itself.
So with a new set of procedures - will that really make a difference?
Thirdly, a big problem with the RTOs was a lack of digitization of records. Paper files are still maintained, and are the number one cause for trouble when it comes to things like ownership transfer, removal of lien etc. One must pay multiple visits to get these things done.
Will this new way of doing things bring in the kind of efficiency digitization brings?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks