Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Can Elite i20 make a good Sedan?
Yes 31 50.82%
No 30 49.18%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 08:37   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)

What will the pricing strategy be of this sedan, seeing the Xcent and Elite i20's price + Verna's starting price. Where does this car fit in? Moreover, don't think the fluidic Verna will be stopped for it to happen.

And if Hyundai hasn't released any sketch or any scoops (even Internationally) aren't caught, I don't think its worth to discuss this concept sedan. Someone's imagination is all I can say.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What will the pricing strategy be of this sedan, seeing the Xcent and Elite i20's price + Verna's starting price.
That's a good one! To fit it among it's present line-up, Hyundai has to device a competitive price for this one.

Quote:
And if Hyundai hasn't released any sketch or any scoops (even Internationally) aren't caught, I don't think its worth to discuss this concept sedan. Someone's imagination is all I can say.
In the 1st post itself I have quoted that its a 'wishful sedan' rendering done by an automobile manipulator. To me, I see this sort of exercise as a nice initiative of seeking some valuable advice prior to officially coming out with a totally new concept. It might come out sometime soon seeing the rise in competition and number of choices that one has now.

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:14   #18
BHPian

It can be a better sedan but not to replace verna IMHO. If they can price it in notch back segment, there will be a fair number of takers for this car.
devil_klm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:18   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the front and side profile leaked pics of the new i20, it would indeed make a great sedan. Prime reason being that the crease line running across the side profile, above the door handles gives the car a great proportion.

However I don't like the rear in this opening post. I think the back looks a tad too high like most hatchback to sedan models.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Folks! I feel seeing it as a replacement to Verna is far fetched because to my layman knowledge the Hyundai Verna appears to be bigger in size than the "wishful" sedan of Elite i20. May
I think Verna looks good as it is, and it is better to leave i20 as a hatch. The rendering looks decent though, but I dont think Hyundai would create another product that creates further confusion.

However, from a pure size perspective, i20 technically has bigger dimensions than the Verna ( except length of course) , so a sedan based on i20 need not be smaller...

Elite i20 width - 1734mm, wheelbase - 2570 mm, height - 1505 mm
Verna width - 1700mm - wheelbase- 2570mm, height - 1475 mm.
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Infact, when Elite was launched, I always felt that this would look a lot better in the sedan version.

The sketch just reconfirms my belief and I feel it looks much better this way.

If Hyundai can create a slot between the Xcent and the Verna(a very narrow window, mind you), the Elite sedan can actually create a good base with a potential of 3-3.5K per month, basically derived from Xcent, Verna and to a little extent from the Dzire.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:47   #22
BHPian

Slightly OT, but looking at the way our market has been gobbling up compact sedans (i.e. elongated hatchbacks), I feel that car manufacturers will have to adopt a new design approach for our market.

From now on, when they sit down to design a new hatchback, they should design a car/platform that will work well as a sedan as well as hatchback. This way, compact sedans will look more balanced and poised, rather than looking like an afterthought.

This India-specific strategy makes a lot of sense, especially since manufacturers have decided that they no longer want to sell first-world products in the Indian mass-market segments (which is apparent from the move to stop exporting Maruti a-star and Hyundai i20).

Edit: However, another part of me thinks that this approach will lead to even more mediocre looking cars on Indian roads. Instead of a good-looking hatchback and ugly compact sedan, we might end up with a dull hatchback and a boring sedan.

I honestly feel notchbacks will look much better, but we will never see that materializing due to our stupid 4m rule. So, yeah, I just realized that my post is totally pointless.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 22nd August 2014 at 12:00.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:30   #23
BHPian

I sincerely hope they don't do it. We have enough disproportionate cars and there is no need to add another to the list. I would rather hope Hyundai can utilise the basic structure of the i20 and come up with something more practical than a sedan - lets face it - a sedan has barely more utility than a spacious hatch back, prestige notwithstanding.

I want a manufacturer to tread the untrodden path and come up with a new segment/niche and not a 'me-too' product.
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Theophilus Chin is a great rendering artist and the Elite i20 based sedan he's conjured up looks quite fetching. However, the official word on this subject is that such a car isn't under consideration. There will be commonalization of parts between the i20 Elite and the next-gen Verna. However, the new Verna won't be a Elite i20 with a boot attached. Also, the whole render business was spawned by a line in the Times of India, which said that Hyundai is considering an i20 Elite based sedan. Officially, the rumour has been scotched by product planners from Hyundai India.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 22nd August 2014 at 12:46.
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Surely at present this idea of a sedan i20 is far from materializing. But, Just like Maruti who is selling Swift Hatch along with Swift Dzire and now a face-lift of Dzire is coming in less than 2 years. So, all of them will be sold under one roof. Even Honda for that matter has launched 2 face-lifts for it's City I-vtec model within 3 years.

Therefore, I feel this car can very well be a good option for the Vento, Etios, Verito and can be adjusted in Hyundai's line up.

Comparing the rendering to Hyundai Xcent here!

Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)-14hyundaixcent1.jpg

Rendered Elite i20 sedan

Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)-hyundaielitei20sedanrenderingfrontthreequarter.jpg

Now what I feel is,

1) On the looks, it appears to be massive than Xcent.

2) Plonk in a Diesel engine, say 1.5L and it becomes a competitor to even Honda City and Vento.

3) When Ford can sell 2 Fiestas then for Hyundai to realize this rendering as a actual car should serve as food for thought.

4) VW Polo Face-lift and Polo-Cross from Volkswagen and Toyota Etios Liva and Etios Cross are all sold under one roof, hence, there can be a possibility of realizing of this concept and selling it along side Xcent or even as a face-lift.

All the launches and ideas depend on volatile market competition and volatile tastes of the customers.

Pic: http://im.rediff.com/money/2014/apr/...dai-xcent1.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by ad3952n : 22nd August 2014 at 13:35.
Old 22nd August 2014, 18:10   #26
BHPian

Quoting what I said in the other i20 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Looking at the side profile and the thick C-pillar of the new i20, I believe it would make a good looking proportionate sedan if they stick a boot to it. It would be interesting if they were to adopt a strategy of multiple sedan cars in a similar price bracket just like they have in the hatchback segment.
Maybe they can discontinue the 1.4L variants of the Verna and introduce those engines in the Grand i20 sedan.
I think if they discontinue the 1.4L variants of the Verna and plonk the engines in this sedan, then they can create a differentiating factor between the three sedans.
This kind of sedan would go head on against the Etios, Sunny etc in the C1 segment rather than competing in the C2 sedan space if Hyundai can price it accordingly.

The Xcent starts at around 4.6 lakhs and goes upto 7 lakhs whereas the Verna 1.6 is priced between 8 and 12 lakhs. This sedan could start at 6 lakhs and cost something under 9 lakhs for the top-end variant.
Also, the size of the 3 cars would be a differentiator, with the Xcent under 4m, i20 sedan in the range of 4.25-4.3m and the Verna at around 4.5m mark. This could be something like the Indian version of HB20S, which is available in the Brazilian market.
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Folks! This is something I had been thinking about. A comparison of Elite i20 Vs Elite i20 sedan rendering.

Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)-elitei20sedanvshatchback1024x609.jpg

My honest opinion is that the rear of the rendered sedan looks slightly well designed than the rear profile of i20 hatch. The lines provided to the sedan are much cleaner and subtle in comparison to the sharp design of i20 Elite.

Pic: http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/auto-n...endered-97556/

Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:26   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)

Mod Note: As there are no plans of this car making it to production, this thread is closed. Thanks
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks