Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2014, 16:44   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Isuzu Motors developing Innova rival codenamed "RU30"

Isuzu Motors India, the Indian branch of Japanese auto giant, is planning to launch an all-new 7-seater MPV by 2016 codenamed "RU30", which will be pitted directly against the super-successful Toyota Innova, currently the leader in the premium MPV-segment.

Isuzu Motors developing Innova rival codenamed "RU30"-isuzumotorsplanstolaunchanewsevenseatermpvtotakeontoyotaspopularinnova.jpg
(Takashi Kikuchi, President & MD and Shigeru Wakabayashi, Dy MD, Isuzu Motors India Pvt Ltd at the launch of Isuzu Multi Utility Pickups in Mumbai)

According to ET:

Quote:
Isuzu Motors India is developing a premium MPV code named RU30 to grab a pie of growing MPV market after having committed investment of Rs 3,000 crore into a local manufacturing facility in Sri City (Tada), Andhra Pradesh.

Besides, people familiar with the matter told ET, the company also plans to localise its bestselling pickup truck D-MAX from Thailand in India.

Production of RU30 is slated to begin in October 2016, with launch likely in the festive season of that year. The company is planning to produce 40,000 units of the MPV per year and 20,000 of the pickup truck, three people privy to the details said.

About 1.3-1.4 lakh multipurpose vehicles are sold in India every year and the segment is likely to grow in double digits with new entrants like Honda Mobilio and Renault Lodgy, which is lined up for launch next year.

Isuzu's MPV is likely to join the league of new multipurpose vehicles that are slated to hit the Indian roads at around that time. Toyota will be ready with its new generation Innova based on a global 640 A platform while Mahindra & Mahindra's all new Xylo-U421 developed out of the company's North American Technical Centre will be in the final stages of development. A few other compact MPVs from Hyundai Motor India and M&M stables are also expected.
SOURCE - Economic Times
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 18:07   #2
BHPian

re: Isuzu Motors developing Innova rival codenamed "RU30"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Isuzu Motors India, the Indian branch of Japanese auto giant, is planning to launch an all-new 7-seater MPV by 2016 codenamed "RU30", which will be pitted directly against the super-successful Toyota Innova, currently the leader in the premium MPV-segment.
Thanks for news!
Isuzu are ideal one to complete @ innova. Reliable diesels - that's what the segment requires. I just hope that Isuzu launches a good product & forces Toyota to apply brakes on price rise run!
zalaps is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 19:50   #3
BHPian

Isuzu are known for bulletproof diesel powertrains and rugged build quality that lasts forever. If they get the ride quality right they can give Toyota a run for their money easily or beat them.

They also have plenty of room to undercut the pricing of the overpriced Innova, and Toyota could be forced to reduce their fat margins. Some competition is very much needed in the segment and it mostly benefits the customer!
chncar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 23:03   #4
gemi_kk

I am not sure what indian Isuzu office is doing till now.

Isuzu is known for Rugged vehicles. But what had they been doing till now. The work should have ideally begun one year ago. And they should have launched the product by this year end.

They had been working on a segment which doesn't exist. Yeah that's good that they are trying to create a new segment in our automotive industry, but this should be their second priority. First priority should always be the segment which has more volumes.
  (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 13:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it's better to keep expectations low if you take the SUV from Isuzu as example. Atrocious pricing with less features. I would NOT be surprised if Isuzu actually prices the car above Innova!
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 14:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think it's better to keep expectations low if you take the SUV from Isuzu as example. Atrocious pricing with less features. I would NOT be surprised if Isuzu actually prices the car above Innova!
Firstly, wait till they completely localize production buddy, Isuzu is pretty serious about their game and I'm sure they will come through. Secondly, their products aren't that bad; the motor is an absolute gem and being a pure petrol sedan lover, jumping into a truck that's propelled by the Beelzebub's fuel, I was shocked at how well it drove compared to other diesel sedans and hatchbacks. Ideally they ought to bring the latest generation of the SUV which they already sell in other markets and I believe they will do so in the years to come
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 22:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was the price they paid for bringing it in via the CBU route, which they are unlikely to repeat in this case. MU7 had similar features to the options at 70% of its price, which was where it should have been without the CBU duties. Their DMAX pickup was very reasonably priced since it attracted only 10% duty thanks to the commercial vehicle tag.

Isuzu diesel engines in Ambassadors are already familiar to Indians and I'm sure there would be a lot of folks who would be willing to try out Isuzu as an alternative to Innova based on their experience with ISZ Amby.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 09:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Firstly, wait till they completely localize production buddy,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
That was the price they paid for bringing it in via the CBU route, which they are unlikely to repeat in this case...
Well, pricing is just one of the worries. Where is the dealer network?! I would love to see every new player succeed in the market and force the established players to offer more value; but such strategies do put a lot of doubt in my mind! I am NOT sure how much can they ramp up (dealership / A$$ network) in 2 years before they launch the Innova competitor.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 09:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Say its priced at par with Innova, how many takers are we really talking here?
If they are really serious about numbers, they should have a starting price of 1.5L below Innova! That would set the cat among the pigeons!!
However, the # of dealerships is critical - they need to cover the top 50 cities atleast and target the fleet owners to make a tough name!
Old 1st September 2014, 12:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
However, the # of dealerships is critical - they need to cover the top 50 cities atleast and target the fleet owners to make a tough name!
This could be the bigger challenge. Being a segment where average running is quite high including long trips, having a good service network is especially important. Seeing the challenge faced by new players in getting a good dealer/service network in place, I too would temper my expectations.

It is quite true that Innova is enjoying the market dominance with at-free-will kind of price rises. However, I am not naive to think that other players are not aware of the opportunity. Providing the quality, durability and reasonable service costs at this segment at a lower cost may not be as easy as it sounds. This could be the reason no one has so far ventured into this holy grail segment of Indian auto industry. Let us all hope Isuzu can at least make a small impact.

Last edited by CoolFire : 1st September 2014 at 12:09.
CoolFire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 18:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Most manufacturers are competing in the UV segment just because of the profit that UVs have. Isuzu is also in the UV game just to see some profits and definetly not to compete with Innova.

I am sure they would launch an outdated/stripped down model based on some basic D-Max platform and during the press release they would say this is not an innova competitor but we have opened a new segment. We are catering to that buyer group who can spend 22 lacs but expect ABS-Airbag-Aircon-Power Windows only. Please pay premium for the japanese isuzu badge.

On a serious note, they are planning the to bring in the RU30. Isuzu being a truck manufacturer, so am not sure how a truck maker can bring about a "luxury" MUV The only pseudo experience Isuzu has with an MUV is with the Panther/Tavera. This was already a proven product and the only "challenge" for isuzu was rebadging.

I found the below link with the info and was amused by the statement quoted.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/i.../1/380256.html

Quote:
Isuzu has hired the services of Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), which will help to identify quality suppliers by the time these new products are launched.
If TCS was the industry best at this, then why have not Tata themselves leveraged this and made Aria / Strome as space age products

Last edited by scopriobharath : 1st September 2014 at 18:59.
Old 4th September 2014, 18:00   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Isuzu Motors developing Innova rival codenamed "RU30"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Isuzu are ideal one to complete @ innova.
So true. The ageing Tavera - which was launched a full 10 years back - has managed average monthly sales of ~1,200 (last 6 months). Note: this is with zero marketing support. That's a lot more than the likes of the Xylo & Evalia, and about on par with the Sumo / Grande.

The reason behind this is that the Tavera has proven its durability within the taxi market (embarrassing recall notwithstanding).

Isuzu MUVs have it in them to take the fight to the Innova. However, as rightly pointed out by others, their sparse dealership network would pose a challenge. But the reputation on the street is good. This is a big plus.

Quote:
I think it's better to keep expectations low if you take the SUV from Isuzu as example. Atrocious pricing with less features.
That was a CBU. Take a look at the D-Max. 136 horses @ 6 lakhs with build & quality that blows Mahindra / Tata pickups out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
If they are really serious about numbers, they should have a starting price of 1.5L below Innova! That would set the cat among the pigeons!!
You can't compete with the Innova merely on price. The Xylo & Evalia are over 2 lakhs cheaper and their sales still pale in comparison to the big T.

For an MUV to fight the Innova, it has to be an all-rounder in much the same way, scoring on space, durability etc.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 19:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Isuzu MUVs have it in them to take the fight to the Innova. However, as rightly pointed out by others, their sparse dealership network would pose a challenge. But the reputation on the street is good. This is a big plus.
Is there an Isuzu MUV already in some market? -I checked Malaysia / Gulf / China / Thailand but i only see single / double cab pickup trucks and of course Buses and trucks on the other side. I did not see any isuzu MUV. I think MU30 is a concept on paper now and proably, no one has even started the design.

Again - my question repeated - Do you feel a pure commercial vehicle manufacturer can strike the chord on the luxury segment? Tata failed to hit the market with the luxury Aria and Ashok Leyland failed to hit the market with "Stile".

Last edited by scopriobharath : 4th September 2014 at 19:36.
Old 4th September 2014, 20:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Again - my question repeated - Do you feel a pure commercial vehicle manufacturer can strike the chord on the luxury segment? Tata failed to hit the market with the luxury Aria and Ashok Leyland failed to hit the market with "Stile".
In my opinion, Innova never catered to Luxury segment. Over the years, it's price forced it to become Luxury. Does it offer any luxury features?

Aria's failure is just & just pricing failure like a la #HondaJazz style! I would not consider Stile a failure this early. May be I'm wrong here.

Quote:
You can't compete with the Innova merely on price. The Xylo & Evalia are over 2 lakhs cheaper and their sales still pale in comparison to the big T.

For an MUV to fight the Innova, it has to be an all-rounder in much the same way, scoring on space, durability etc.
Actually Price is an encouragement when competing with Innova! Ransom pricing of Innova gives scope to your profit margins as well. Ask Sub 4 meter class manufactures, How every rupee spent is mattered when war is on price!

Last week I met Innova owner at petrol pump. It was 2012 model with over 3Lacs on odo. I thought it was 5-6 months old one. Innovas simply does not age. Driver was just like BDsir - "Just provide all fuel/oil supplies regularly & it will run on & on."

This is what Isuzu has to beat. Why I am confident? Isuzu diesels are not new to our market. We Indians has retrofitted quite a few cars with Isuzu diesels.

O.T: Going by the fuel price trends, Petrol Innova will again rise to fame! Yes that is still in production!
zalaps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 21:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I know atleast 3 folks who are angry with Toyota for increasing the prices like they have, and wont consider Innova. They are losing the goodwill tag apart from customers for sure. Its primarily price but those yearly facelists arent helping as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks