Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:25   #31
BHPian

re: Tata Zest – My experience at the Pimpri Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I got an invitation to visit TATA Motors Pune plant last week, and sent confirmation email on same day. I did not receive any acknowledgement or further details from them.
@Latheesh, you'll receive it just a day or two before the actual date of travel - Don't worry, be patient.
pankajparikh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:23   #32
BHPian

Very Nice.

Thanks pankajparikh for the excellent write-up.
You could spot me sitting right next to the bumper.
Old 2nd September 2014, 20:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Adding AC vents for the rear seat passengers & an additional roof light for the back bench probably would have been more of a more practical alternative as opposed to adding DRLs & angel eyed headlamps ..
Purely my view. AC vents for the rear seats are much needed in cars which do not have the central vents right above the centre console (eg. Hyundai i10). Otherwise, the conventional setup is good enough to throw air to the second row. Moreover, the rear vents most often cool the feet than the face, which is the comment I receive from friends and family, for our Safari!

As for the rear roof lamps, they have them on the eCS, but wonder why they have omitted them on the Zest. But I cannot remember a single day in our last near 1 year of the eCS ownership, where any of us in the family ever used them. Perhaps that was more like a vestigial organ, that disappeared with evolution!

Last edited by dkamath : 2nd September 2014 at 20:26.
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 13:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajparikh View Post
For the test-drive - we were driving the top-end Revotron (Petrol) Zest and while I changed it from Normal to Sports mode on the fly - could immediately feel the power boost other than which I don't think there were any other feature changes.
I think, as they have all the money in the world - it has become very easy for TATA to create a game changing experience in this segment, just by hiring the right people.
pankajparikh: Congratulations on the chance to visit & tour the manufacturing facility. And to test drive on their tracks an engine that is technically superior. Not an opportunity that everyone gets everyday.
I guess Tata needs a little more than money to change the game - agree you can get top talent to build the focus but will it go down all the way to an implementation at ground level is what remains to be seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Indeed, he was very customer focused. And the first time he heard about me was in my public account email to him, no prior knowledge. ..
And it may take another generation of cars beyond Zest/Bolt for that to happen, where people are willing to take a chance based on the sheer brilliance of the car, compared to the competition at the price point. I could be wrong, time will tell.
Indeed Sawyer. Agree to this completely. This is the reason why quite few people I've talked to are waiting for the Zest to go through it's run-in period (so to speak) before they put in their hard earned money on this entrant car.

OT: That being said, the market has taken to Mobilio very happily despite it's evident, glaring short comings & cost-cuttings. I guess this goes to show that our market it very difficult to pin-down to specific buying preferences to just one pattern.
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by void_001 View Post
OT: That being said, the market has taken to Mobilio very happily despite it's evident, glaring short comings & cost-cuttings. I guess this goes to show that our market it very difficult to pin-down to specific buying preferences to just one pattern.
The thing to remember is that the bulk of car buyers aren't represented by TBHP members in terms of their preferences.
In the volume segment what they want is a car that looks good, has enough features, delivers good mileage, is well priced, and is as reliable as an appliance. And when it needs attention, after sales support is cheap and reliable.
Things that move members here to heights are non issues for most. The i20 is a big success in spite of the poor handling and weird steering. On the other hand, Fiats are a big flop.
Old 4th September 2014, 11:21   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got an invitation to visit TATA Motors Pune plant last week, and sent confirmation email on same day. I did not receive any acknowledgement or further details from them.
Latheesh, which date have you been invited on? I got an email with a survey link today morning. For me, it's 13-Sep.
Old 4th September 2014, 12:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Latheesh, which date have you been invited on? I got an email with a survey link today morning. For me, it's 13-Sep.
I got the invite for the 13th as well. Are you going for the event? I will be go nice to meet up with other TBHP members.
Old 4th September 2014, 14:31   #38
BHPian

The insulating material seems to be absent in many models in the same category: Honda Amaze and on the Xcent too. Seems to be becoming a standard (lack of) feature!

I would really like to see the rear wiper as standard on all models as it is really additions and costs so little extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post

A black carpet/insulating material covering the interior of the boot lid seems to have been omitted altogether.

Adding AC vents for the rear seat passengers & an additional roof light for the back bench probably would have been more of a more practical alternative as opposed to adding DRLs & angel eyed headlamps ..
marsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 15:02   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I got the invite for the 13th as well. Are you going for the event? I will be go nice to meet up with other TBHP members.
Cool. Yes, I have confirmed. Waiting to hear from them now.
Old 4th September 2014, 15:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
The insulating material seems to be absent in many models in the same category: Honda Amaze and on the Xcent too. Seems to be becoming a standard (lack of) feature!
True.

I wonder how much a company actually stands to save by skimping on carpeting (and leaving the innards of the trunk lid exposed). Especially when mass market cars these days are trying hard to convey a VFM proposition in order to woo customers.

Adding a bit of extra carpeting, a lamp in places where required, an arm rest for the driver, extra power outlets for rear seat passengers, scuff plates in the door sills etc. do play a role in imparting a more premium feel to the car (which would help boost sales) apart from being practical.

Reasons being -

(a) Most people I know of, own more than one smart phone & laptops which need to be charged on the move. Extra charging points really are useful.

(b) An extra lamp for rear seat passengers help locate that elusive ear-ring/dropped keys when needed as opposed to groping in the dark.

Ditto for the trunk when picking up groceries scattered all over the place.

Maybe adding a hook for holding shopping bags in place would also help.

(c) Scuff guards for the door sill - need I explain?
I am yet to find passengers who manage to maneuver their feet into the car without scuffing the paint/muddying the door sills & carpeting

Instead, they would rather sell cars which are faux chrome plated all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
I would really like to see the rear wiper as standard on all models as it is really additions and costs so little extra.
For hatchbacks, this is quite true.
In case of sedans, this may prove a bit of an engineering challenge.
Old 4th September 2014, 20:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest – My experience at the Pimpri Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Sept-13 and confirmed my participation. Got a survey link yesterday, and submitted my details.

So we have 3 BHPians visiting on 13th.
Old 4th September 2014, 23:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Very Nice.

Thanks pankajparikh for the excellent write-up.
You could spot me sitting right next to the bumper.
Hey, thanks dude - made my day!
Old 4th September 2014, 23:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Sept-13 and confirmed my participation. Got a survey link yesterday, and submitted my details.

So we have 3 BHPians visiting on 13th.
Congratulations, Guys
Advise - carry some bag along, as they'll provide some papers, etc + the T-Shirt that you'll have to wear and carry your existing one through-out the visit. Also carry ur DSLR's if you have any, they allow pic's at some places..
pankajparikh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:56   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajparikh View Post
Congratulations, Guys
Advise - carry some bag along, as they'll provide some papers, etc + the T-Shirt that you'll have to wear and carry your existing one through-out the visit. Also carry ur DSLR's if you have any, they allow pic's at some places..
Thanks for the pointers. Appreciate it!

About the camera, I think you have covered the plant pretty well, I'll just enjoy the visit! For a few pics I might take, will use the phone cam.
Old 14th September 2014, 16:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

It was our turn yesterday, and was a wonderful experience.
It was nice meeting you Dry Ice, any other BHPians were there?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest – My experience at the Pimpri Plant-tml1.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th September 2014 at 16:55.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed