Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 14:10   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

*Rumour* - Fiat CUV with 1.5L Diesel in 2016

The new sub 4 meter compact SUV is codenamed as X3U. Fiat is also developing a new 1.5 L diesel engine for India.

The new engine is the downsized version of the 1.6 L JTD engine in the international market. The downsizing will help Fiat to save money as the excise duty is less for the 1.5 L engine. The new engine puts out more than 100 BHP of power.The petrol engine expected for the X3U is the 1.4 L T-Jet engine.

The diesel and petrol engines are mated to 5 speed manual gearbox. To make the package more attractive Fiat will introduce the AMT gearbox in the diesel variant as the diesel automatic models are selling well. Fiat will also pack lots of goodies in the X3U as it is competing with the Ford Ecosport which come with lots of features. The new X3U will debut at the 2016 Auto Expo .

http://fly-wheel.com/fiat-compact-su...aunch-in-2016/

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st September 2014 at 14:12.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Fiat is also developing a new 1.5 L diesel engine for India.

Finally the ray of light at the end of the tunnel. But, typical of FIAT- they'll be joining the party too late- when the diesel petrol difference wouldn't be much of a bother anymore.

However, a 1.5 diesel can transform the Punto and Linea to perfect driving machines. Please give us the diesel option by 2015 and the compact SUV later by 2016.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: *Rumour* - Fiat CUV with 1.5L Diesel in 2016

I think you need to take this with a pinch of salt.

From what I understand this is a new SUV from Fiat but there was mention of a C segment SUV from Jeep in 2016 and not from Fiat. Also Fiat has missed their deadline with the Jeep launch dates in the past. It would be too pre-mature to discuss anything about the engine for a vehicle that is to be launched 2 years from now.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
It would be too pre-mature to discuss anything about the engine for a vehicle that is to be launched 2 years from now.
I think the news about the engine is more exciting than the news about the vehicle. This 1.5 could transform the fortunes for the current line-up as well, and hence - I believe that should be their first priority incase they are not already working on it!
Old 1st September 2014, 15:17   #5
BHPian

This news of FIAT 1.5L Diesel Engine is there in the Annual Edition of Autocar India as well.

Wherein, it states their Roadmap for the Compact SUV, New Generation Punto, Linea etc.
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I think the news about the engine is more exciting than the news about the vehicle. This 1.5 could transform the fortunes for the current line-up as well, and hence - I believe that should be their first priority incase they are not already working on it!
I fully agree with you and would be really glad if it actually happens, but for me this news seems too good to be true. First the rumors were that Avventura would have the 1.5 or 1.6 MJD but now it is more-or-less confirmed that the 1.3 MJD will do its duty in the Avventura.

I'm not a technical person but from what little I understand the present gearbox won't be able to handle the additional torque of the 1.5/1.6 MJD, and all these will only add to the cost of the existing models.
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:27   #7
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2014 at 10:58.
raja_ys is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th December 2014, 21:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: *Rumour* - Fiat CUV with 1.5L Diesel in 2016

Fiat to introduce a 1.5-litre multijet by 2016.

Though late with this development Fiat India is speculated to have begun work on this development.The 1.5 MJD will power all Fiat cars from 2016.

Quote:
The new Fiat multijet engine will be derived from the existing 1.6-litre engine, with a power rating of about 113bhp of power and a maximum torque of 290Nm. This will make Fiat at par with its competition, as at the moment what Fiat has been lacking are powerful engine options for its Linea and Punto Evo
http://motoroctane.com/news/7252-fia...-multijet-2016
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 23:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

This thread belongs to Fiat India's strategy revealed thread. This is one of the various threads discussing two-three year future plans of Fiat while the current situation looking shaky.
A simple step of launching Punto with T-Jet engine is continuously being evaded by Fiat whilt TSIs and TDIs have already made there way. Now even the novelty factor of T-Jet is also no more so what Fiat is waiting for.
1.3L looks underpowered in compare to Vento and other Diesel cars of the competitors.
Old 30th December 2014, 09:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Though late with this development Fiat India is speculated to have begun work on this development.The 1.5 MJD will power all Fiat cars from 2016.
I personally think "Late" is an understatement !! Fiat is 'Speculated/Planning' to introduce 1.5 MJD by 2016 ??

I feel Fiat India don't seem to have any sense of direction. Wonder if a layman like me can kinda understand where the Fiat cars are failing, why aren't the "Gurus" at Fiat India realizing this yet.

Year 2014 saw some world class cars introduced in India, including the Punto EVO (made for India only) & All New Linea. But public are often discussing and more often interested in products like Elite I20, Honda City, Ecosport, Zest, etc.

Fiat India must at least take notice, if not wake up

Last edited by Vik0728 : 30th December 2014 at 09:45.
Old 11th February 2015, 08:16   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat couls bring a CUV under the Jeep brand to India - a Crossover below Renegade .

Quote:
Where might the sub-Renegade CUV be sold? Van Campenhout thinks India would be a "very suitable place" for it, but also says it could work in Australia, too.
Possible platforms for the CUV a platform are from the Fiat Panda or a model based on a Brazilian platform could work.
A crossover based on a less expensive platform from Brazil could make the most sense

Old 27th February 2015, 11:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Renegade coming to India by 2017 .

Jeep has already registered the Renegade brand name in India and it has begun talks with vendors too.

Fiat Chrysler will be manufacturing the Renegade and another SUV in India. Engines will
the 1.5-litre Fiat engine, which will be shared Tata's upcoming SUV.

Fiat will be introducing another smaller SUV too under the Jeep brand, and this will be a B-segment SUV, which will compete with the Ford Ecosport. This could come in 2018.

http://motoroctane.com/news/9584-jee...dia-2017-scoop
Old 27th February 2015, 12:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Personally, i feel its time we stop discussing fiat rumors. Let them execute at least one new project that they have been publicizing and then we can atleast think about rumors , that too with a pinch of salt.

Here's a snapshot of what fiat has promised us in the recent past and what was the outcome.

1) 500 Abarth- Fiat Announced that the 500 Abarth is coming, later fizzled off

2) Abarth Essesse- Then it was announced that the 500 Abarth essesse was going to be launched, amid much pomp and fanfare, the same was displayed in the Auto Expo, and some senior Fiat officials whom i interacted there also confirmed that it was coming soon. The Same 2 cars were taken around India for Road shows, kept for dealer displays around the country and even given for magaine reviews. People were elated at the sight of a manual gearbox and a nippy lil package. Many of my friends put on hold their mini plans and decided to wait for the Essesse.

Just as everyone was getting ready for it, the 500 Abarth Essesse disappeared without a trace.

3) 595 Competizione- The mysterious disappearance of the essesse was followed by the usual 'Fiat Silence' and then out of the blue came the 595 Competizione! This time, armed with a Awful AMT box (what were they thinking), taking away the one single usp of the car (Only fiat can do this), tuning the ride to make it less usable, and increased the ' projected price'.

But the AMT box was really not a problem because fiat forgot about the car and there seems to be no sign of launch.

4) Jeep Wrangler- Cars imported for testing, display and even given to all magazines for reviews, projected price and tentative launch dates fixed, and then the usual' Fiat Silence' took over. Gone without a trace.

5) Jeep Grand Cherokee- Same scene as the wrangler, only difference being that at the 60+ lakh ex showroom that it was projected at, there is really no difference whether it was launched or not.

7) Punto Abarth- This car reminds me of the loch ness monster. Here is an extract from the Wiki,

"The Loch Ness Monster is a cryptid who reputedly inhabits Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands. It is similar to other supposed lake monsters in Scotland and elsewhere, though its description varies from one account to the next, with most describing it as large in size. Evidence of its existence is anecdotal, with minimal and much-disputed photographic material and sonar readings."

The Punto Abarth is something similar. It has gone from 140- 160-180 bhp and now is residing somewhere in the 120hp range. 2 doors, 4 doors, 10 lakh, 8 lakh the options seem endless. But All of it can be accepted since the car will most certainly never be launched.

8) Punto / Avvy Tjet- They had the Engine and the car fr well over 4 years now. Neither do they want to correct that sloppy gearbox and make it an enthusiasts car, nor will they up the quality and refinement, drop in an autobox and make it a usable fun hatch like the GT TSI.

9) 500x, 500L , Doblo, Multipla etc, lets not even go there.

Let them show atleast one singe move that makes people want to consider them as a car manufacturer rather than an engine manufacturer. Then we can discuss about new launches and related matters.

As of now, at the rate things are going, in 2017, we will have the "All New Punto EVO with 240mm gc" And the "All New Avvy with wheels on its roof so that it can smoothly move after it rolls over"

Mods, i request you to lock this thread till there is some official announcement from fiat on new launches.
I

Quote:
Jeep Renegade coming to India by 2017 .

Jeep has already registered the Renegade brand name in India and it has begun talks with vendors too.

Fiat Chrysler will be manufacturing the Renegade and another SUV in India. Engines will
the 1.5-litre Fiat engine, which will be shared Tata's upcoming SUV.

Fiat will be introducing another smaller SUV too under the Jeep brand, and this will be a B-segment SUV, which will compete with the Ford Ecosport. This could come in 2018.

http://motoroctane.com/news/9584-jee...dia-2017-scoop
JayD is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 13:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Fiat has meanwhile opened a cafe serving coffee/liquor, that seems to be their most successful business so far in terms of volume where finished products are concerned. They were supposed to introduce something last year, and it has been pushed to the next year tentatively. The CUV will be the Avventurra with the spare wheel mounted in front of the grill, new year new model. The 1.5L won't do much with the lousy gearbox used in the current products. This thread should be merged with that 3 year old thread on Fiat strategy - selling less cars with more dealerships.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 15:02   #15
BHPian

This thread deserves to be locked for the time being.

Being an owner of a Fiat Punto and having driven quite a few of their cars elsewhere, its disheartening to see the way Fiat India has presented / positioned itself here in India, where they have been in existence (if i call it so) for over 3 decades now.

God knows what the Fiat India Management has been smoking. If they don't pull up the game now, they would just remain an Engine Manufacturer, who also happen ot make cars.

Day by day, i'm loosing my patience. In another year, I would be looking out to upgrade from my Punto and I don't know what to buy. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks