Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:34   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai ix25 Compact SUV caught testing in India. EDIT: Named the Creta

Yesterday night, I sent an email to Hyundai Corporate Sales & to Rakesh Shrivastava, Sr. Vice President (Sales & Marketing), with the subject "Feedback for the name "CRETA" for the upcoming ix25 SUV from Team-BHP", with a link to this thread (previous pages feedback) and asked them to reconsider the name put forth by their creative team, and to think of names on similar lines with a bit more depth.

Quote:
Today morning, Hyundai India put out a press release announcing that the ix25 SUV has been christened as the "CRETA". The name, according to the press release, is synonymous with "creative", is short and can be said/memorised easily, and also has a reference to the Greek island of Crete.

But I am sad to report this, the feedback for this name is overtly negative in our forum. Sending you the link of the forum thread discussing the ix25 ever since it landed on our shores last year, which has had a lot of people excited for it's release, but now this weird name has dampened the spirits of quite a few automobile enthusiasts:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-creta-21.html

I sincerely request your creative team to think of a similar name, closer on the lines of the Creta, but with a bit more substantiated pull in it. My suggestion (if you don't want to alter the name at all), is - "CERTA". The meaning of the word is "sure, certain", which goes better with the ix25 SUV, since it's destined to be your next bestseller in it's segment. It also rhymes with the "Verna", from whom the ix25 SUV is borrowing it's engines.

Consider this as a sincere, heartfelt appeal from someone who loves your company, it's products, and will soon be an owner of your premium SUV offering in the sub-15 lac space.
I suggested "CERTA", which is slightly more synonymous with the car, goes along with "Verna" (borrowing the same engines after all), and means "sure" in Latin, "certain" in Roman, and also means "fight" in certain Latin phrases.

Of course, no reply so far.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd June 2015 at 14:35.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:34   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

I suggested "CERTA", which is slightly more synonymous with the car, goes along with "Verna" (borrowing the same engines after all), and means "sure" in Latin, "certain" in Roman, and also means "fight" in certain Latin phrases.

Of course, no reply so far.
I agree. CERTA sounds positive and better. Or, if Hyundai still insists on CRETA, we may swap the letters E's place with R. ix25 is such a nice name. Wonder what has gotten into Hyundai's head!
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:58   #333
BHPian

We have seen cars failing to sell due to bad pricing, bad interiors, bad exterior looks, bad fuel efficiency, bad engines. This is a potential candidate to fail due to bad naming.
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:59   #334
Team-BHP Support

C'mon guys, its just a name ! How many of us would not buy it only because it's called Creta ?
Eddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:12   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
C'mon guys, its just a name ! How many of us would not buy it only because it's called Creta ?
A rose by any other name...

End of the day, the volume of chrome on any car will probably represent its market success, names be damned.

Quote:
I suggested "CERTA", which is slightly more synonymous with the car
I like it.

My favourite name is ix25 itself (particularly since the 'x' signifies a crossover).

But if not ix25 due to its perceived closeness with the i20, then Certa gets my vote. It even rolls off the tongue more easily - you can breathe out 'Certa' (just imagine the ads with PYTs all huskily vocalizing 'Certaaaaa' )
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:12   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right. I would probably not reject because of its name. But... Every time someone asks me what car I drive, I would not exactly feel good uttering that word. Or, may be I will whisper. As, Laura owners from North do when people ask them about their wheels.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:16   #337
BHPian

Finally this space becomes hot - well done Hyundai for beating Maruti to the launch. Now Maruti will run around desperate to launch before Auto Expo, Duster's sales would drop and Ford's one-man wonder will be reduced to pulp, or should I say x-creta or excetra (etcetera) or whatever the pun can be on this pathetic name!
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:17   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You are right. I would probably not reject because of its name. But... Every time someone asks me what car I drive, I would not exactly feel good uttering that word. Or, may be I will whisper. As, Laura owners from North do when people ask them about their wheels.
pgsagar you hit the nail on the head, the Laura sales in the Hindi speaking belt was visibly hit by Skoda's choice of name. Even more ironic when you consider that they went out of their wait to call the "new octavia" the laura in India when they could have just stuck with the original.
reihem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:28   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
My favourite name is ix25 itself (particularly since the 'x' signifies a crossover).

But if not ix25 due to its perceived closeness with the i20, then Certa gets my vote. It even rolls off the tongue more easily - you can breathe out 'Certa' (just imagine the ads with PYTs all huskily vocalizing 'Certaaaaa' )
x25 by itself, dropping the "i" if they want to separate it from the i20 lineup, would be so much better. Even s25 would be great.

Here's a list of all their crossover names for reference.

Quote:
Hyundai SUV’s/Crossover/MPV Car Models
Hyundai Galloper
Hyundai Portico
Hyundai Santa Fe
Hyundai Terracan
Hyundai Trajet
Hyundai Tucson
- See more at: http://www.carmodelslist.com/hyundai....s8VHEDaO.dpuf
echo77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:30   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1

Yes ix25 would have been a better name but its not very clever to reject a suitable/worthy car just because of its name.
I believe that many potential XUV buyers like me are waiting for the launch to do a detailed comparison between both the cars as per our individual needs. The name will not be one of the parameters for me atleast while making a decision.
faithless_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:06   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Well,I think this is a hyundai internal game.
"Lets see what the public does with....THIS!"

Look at the history:
Suntro, Ascent, iLO, Suntoffee, Tussion(my favourite ). Theyre still peeved that the i20 and Eon were not a barrel of laughs in the boardroom at the 1st year review!

The day this ends up for its first service at the noida Hyundai A.S.S, its going to become Kareta!
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:26   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
Car will surely come with 6speed AT matted with 1.6Crdi engine. It will also be offered with 1.4crdi and 1.4 petrol engines. This has been confirmed by my friend working with Hyundai. He even says that top end will get touchscreen Navigation system with 6 airbags. Wont have 60:40 split seats though.
I find that very optimistic considering it will be below 14 L pricing. 6 speed AT with diesel even more so.

Hopefully your friend is right.
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:45   #343
BHPian

Quote:
I suggested "CERTA", which is slightly more synonymous with the car,.
Good one RavenAvi, since you have booked the vehicle, may I suggest a small 'jugaad' considering Hyundai may not listen to our appeal to rename the car.

You can rearrange the letters yourself once you take delivery. (this would be possible because the letters are not joined to each other like say Ciaz). Basing this on one of the earlier images you posted which revealed the name : )
uday.ere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:57   #344
BHPian

The Certa in colloquial marathi will be pronounced 'Karta' meaning naughty or Serta (as in Sarita) . The name did affect the Laura esp. up north.

This is probably going to be the hottest selling compact SUV though.
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:12   #345
RGP
BHPian

Quote:
More than the name itself, it is the possibility of the Owners being referred to as Cretins that may put me off.
RGP is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks