Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2014, 11:09   #16
BHPian

This data has always fascinated me. I believe the good visuals are generated from excel. There could be more intuitive visualizations available open source. I can experiment with a few. Anyone can provide the raw data please?
chakri400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 11:20   #17
BHPian

I just got stranded twice in flood like conditions in punjab just after 2-3 hours of heavy rain in cities like ludhiana and amritsar , with supposedly above average road infrastructure. Poorly engineered.

Only vehicles able to continue unabated were trucks, buses, Mahindra bolero/max pickup . Other suvs ofc. It has deepened my appreciation and understanding of the importance of these uvs in our country. I couldn't enter my native place in my car, my relatives recently bought Swift dzire in the village was useless and they had to borrow a bolero to come pick me up.

They were questioning their decision to opt for a dzire instead of a uv and I was thinking I need to get a uv for myself
drsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 11:25   #18
BHPian

Re: August 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Almost everyone i know is buying the Grand i10 or Polo or Amaze or Xcent etc & i fail to understand who is still buying the Swift & Dzire? Always stumps me
Generally people in metropolitan cities are more amenable to buying products from brands other than Maruti. All major brands have a good presence atleast in the metros and sales & service is not much of an issue. I believe rest of India puts faith in Maruti only, with its wide service network, availability of spares and overall fairly low cost of ownership as compared to the competition, especially in the hatchback (Alto, Celerio, Wagon-R, Ritz, Swift) & compact sedan (Dzire) segments which must form a bulk of the market in non-metro cities. Plus the brand value of Maruti-Suzuki built over so many years is fairly strong.
jessie007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 13:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

The economy has supposedly improved

Good start by the Zest , if Tata truly has delivered on build quality then i expect to see even higher numbers next month - what i cannot wait to see next month is the impact of the Ciaz across that category.

Strong performance by Mobilo and Elite , although expected and not surprising. Hyundai has got a fantastic handle on the Indian consumer.

There is no point even mentioning Skoda , Yeti at 0 despite them pushing that car a bit atleast on digital

GM should retire to rural areas - bad performance across the board , the sale of the Travera and the Beat are almost equal - if the beat slips a beat next month again then the best performer in the GM stable will be the Travera - a true reflection of their lack of understanding for this market and taking things easy...

Glad to see the Punto-Evo making a mark , hopefully this is not a one off peak and will settle down in that range solidly. In terms of total volumes Fiat has shown almost a 50% growth month on month , largely ofcourse driven by the Evo - and if the Evo falls this will too. Linea is just not managing to tick faster, shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
E a reflection of the economy perhaps.

KPS
Old 6th September 2014, 13:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post

It seems Thar is produced once a quarter.

Edit:
@ jessie007 from where have you got Thar nos. Original chart shows zero for june, july & aug.
As per news reports, M&M sold 14,140 vehicles in Aug 2014. Since M&M didn't provide Thar numbers, I think we can assume that the difference between the total sales figure reported in news and those given to Team-BHP (13,276) will give us the figure for Thar. So 14140 - 13276 = ~ 864 Thars sold. Unless the total sales figure include export numbers.

Last edited by jessie007 : 6th September 2014 at 13:58.
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 13:57   #21
BHPian

Interesting numbers. The non-hatch vehicles amounting to 50% of sale in the country. Is it the first time hatchbacks have been pushed back by that much ? Since I have been following this, they have always been healthy 50+%.

Regarding Hyundai, what a bulls eye they hit with Santro. Launched in 1998, one major upgrade to design few years later and yet it sells more than i10 in 2014. Guess they should rebadge i10 as Santro Epic or something, to move it off the shelf

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 6th September 2014 at 13:58. Reason: Typo
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 19:04   #22
Team-BHP Support

Again my harping point. Whats wrong with new Fiesta? Good pricing and a good product. So whats happening there? Only tells there are no enough Fiesta being produced?

Even I see no major demand as well. Some thing does not add up there.
Old 6th September 2014, 19:23   #23
BHPian

Sad to see Nissan perform poorly despite Sunny being a very competitive vehicle. What do you guys think is the real reason they are not able to sell? Poor marketing? Poor After sales/servicing? Poor Customer reach? what is the real reason?
Old 6th September 2014, 20:03   #24
BHPian

Maruti suzuki is undisputed champion of the sales chart, I believe that's due to it's reach and availability all over india along with the strongest service networks available, it would be fun to see how much numbers the much anticipated ciaz will bring compared to its successor Honda city. I hopefully believe city will be back to action beginning next month when the new plant facility starts to roll.

Last edited by Slush_Traveller : 6th September 2014 at 20:08.
Old 6th September 2014, 20:09   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Thank you Adi for adding this note.

It is a very important thing for all to understand as many consider these figures as actual sales which it isn't.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 20:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Almost everyone i know is buying the Grand i10 or Polo or Amaze or Xcent etc & i fail to understand who is still buying the Swift & Dzire? Always stumps me
My neighbors and people around me.

Actually the Maruti has deep reach in the rural areas and small centers. There are some parts in India where few of the brands are non existent and Maruti is the only option and/or a safe option considering brand image and A.S.S. availability.

Everything is said and done, I am also astonished by seeing that half the cars are sold by Maruti alone and remaining half are sold by all other brands combinedly. Few of the brands aren't even able to touch the numbers of Maruti's lowest selling car models even if their whole model range is combined.

Its really amazing to see such demand and then Maruti's production capacity to fulfill such demand, then making spares and service available to cater such broad customer base since years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
The non-hatch vehicles amounting to 50% of sale in the country. Is it the first time hatchbacks have been pushed back by that much ? Since I have been following this, they have always been healthy 50+%.
Actually definition of sedan has been spoiled by the car manufacturers and buyers in India, otherwise story might have remained the same.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 6th September 2014 at 20:40.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 20:48   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Actually the Maruti has deep reach in the rural areas and small centers. There are some parts in India where few of the brands are non existent and Maruti is the only option and/or a safe option considering brand image and A.S.S. availability.
Spot-on. I'd say Maruti is like BSNL for the telecom sector. A large base penetrating into the smallest towns.

A stable, reliable, widely accepted brand Thanks to their efforts since inception. Many flop models too in their line-up but they still rock the market in servicing standards including spares.

I'd repeat a quote that I mentioned in my Swift ownership report:

"India comes home in a Maruti!"

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 20:56   #28
BHPian

Corolla figures are interesting 922, 882, 546. Elantra has been overall consistent 343, 255, 300. Its high time Toyota stops charging premium on its products and give more features. will be interesting the coming months elantra vs corolla
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 21:25   #29
BHPian

At last the long awaited thread is up. Great as usual.
GM has just 2 models selling above 1k mark. Its high time they plan something good for indian costomers they can bring the trailblazer and as ford is planning to bring the mustang to raise their image camaro from chevy would be a gem. I wonder what is holding them from bringing in true american suvs.
Fiat, well think they are satisfied with their engine business. Its almost a decade with their two models. How long will it last.. only god knows.
Mahindra well they should improve the product range with more competitive models like xuv and upcoming s101. New scorpio might bring a boost to sales.
Tata will improve as it shows with the zest. Hope the bolt is also well recieved. As a personal opinion its tine they change their design philosophy of the zest bolt aria etc. The swept back headlamps and grill sure looks dated. Design updates for storme and aria is necessary. Were is the mini suv from tata? A mini grande with 5 seats and a bit more width and a spare wheel on tailgate would be great.
Ford well come on, bring in the everest and the true american suvs.
Old 6th September 2014, 21:59   #30
gemi_kk

Well, Technically Innova sales have declined a lot in this month. In the Last month, TG state government ordered 1600 Innovas for Public servants aka police. Still the numbers don't seem to be matching. Either the sales have gone down. Or the complete information is not provided to TB. I am sure that the factory would have sold the vehicles rather than by dealers as the volume is Humongous and all these are customized vehicles.

Mods, would you please confirm whether the data presented in this report is the official units sold by dealers. Or is it the total count of vehicles dispatched by the Company.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks