Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 11:28   #106
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti Facelift launched in India at 18.63 Lakhs

Hi

Skoda always like to position its product at premium and sell at huge discount.
In the process the genuine lover of Skoda Cars get fooled as they can never guess the extent of discount possible and may finally settle for much less than what others have obtained.

So my friend, please do not buy Skoda Cars if the discount is anything less than 1.5 lakhs on cars and around 2-3 lakhs on Yeti.
Old 15th September 2014, 11:31   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Is it launched in India? I think "No" only the Elegance trim has been launched and the AWD is still the 4th generation; correct me if I have mistaken.
Along with the face-lift, the new yeti (launched in India just few days) has the 5th gen Haldex AWD, like elsewhere
Old 15th September 2014, 11:38   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Agreed to what you shared but even after this face lift, it is the 4th generation Haldex system that has been used while the 5th generation system which is much more reliable with less parts and complexity is available and has been used by several manufacturers for past few years.
It is the 5th Gen Haldex in the facelift Yeti. Also my Yeti has given me 0 issues as compared to my vRS which has given me niggles here and there inspite of the Yeti being used in a much rougher manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
IMO There is absolutely NO justification for it to be priced at 26 lakhs when the Octavia (loaded with waaayyyyy more features and equipment + better interior quality / fit-finish) is 2 lakhs cheaper. The Octavia even has the ground-clearance now.

Skoda has no business pricing the Yeti higher than the Octavia. Period.
Suhaas what are the extra features the Octavia offers over the Yeti besides the DSG and the sunroof? The fit and finish on the Yeti is a notch above the Octavia/Laura and is at Superb level. Yes the quality of the interior in the Octavia may be perceived to be better quality due to better looking interior.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 11:46   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO There is absolutely NO justification for it to be priced at 26 lakhs when the Octavia (loaded with waaayyyyy more features and equipment + better interior quality / fit-finish) is 2 lakhs cheaper. The Octavia even has the ground-clearance now.
I decided to cross-check facts as a statement that followed this assertion on the original post came across as being rather uninformed.

This is what I got from CarWale:

1. The Yeti is not priced at 26 lakhs.
2. The top-end Octavia is not 2 lakhs cheaper.

Disclaimer: I do not have access to pricing in India, I am going by CarWale's pricing:
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti Facelift launched in India at 18.63 Lakhs-skoda.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th September 2014 at 12:10. Reason: Request to keep the discussion around price and not on who is posting it.
Old 15th September 2014, 11:51   #110
BHPian

The price of 26 lakhs mentioned must be in karnataka. The road tax here stands at 19.98% for ex-showroom above 20 lakhs. So the RTO figure would be close to 4 lakhs not 2.8 lakhs. The price shown in carwale picture attached is for Mumbai
zombiedriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 12:14   #111
Senior - BHPian

There is no denying that the Yeti is a superb package and makes so much sense for someone looking for practicality, premium-ness and little bit of adventure.

I always looked at yeti as a possible upgrade..but this pricing has put it beyond my reach even if I assume a highly optimistic career growth

I have experienced the Yeti only one and it does look pretty compact and does not have the road presence of a SUV. And no, I am not comparing it with a Fortunner or a Santa FE..it looks even smaller than a Duster. That is a downer but I am willing to live with it given the other things it has to offer. The interior space while adequate is not luxurious... I mean when Skoda is positioning it in the premium segment, can't they offer somewhat better interior space. I have no complaints with the equipment list..it seems very well-loaded. I too would like to know how it compares with the Octavia in terms of equipment and where it loses out.

Another thing is quite baffling - if Skoda really wants such a premium positioning, why give the Yeti the engine in a lower state of tune compared to the Octavia.. By doing so, aren't they admitting that Yeti is in a lower segment but the pricing seems to be indicating something else. How much ever I admire the Yeti, I fail to understand the logic behind the pricing of this facelift.

I think there is a big void in the sub 20-lakh SUV/crossover segment...something which will be much more premium than the Duster/Terrano and offer more comfort and features. I am praying that Honda launches the Vezel in India and Hyundai IX25 also fills in the void.

Last edited by adimicra : 15th September 2014 at 12:15.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:19   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
This is what I got from CarWale:

1. The Yeti is not priced at 26 lakhs.
2. The top-end Octavia is not 2 lakhs cheaper.

Disclaimer: I do not have access to pricing in India, I am going by CarWale's pricing:
Please recalculate the on-road price of top-end Yeti and top-end Manual Octavia using Bangalore as the location. Suhaas lives in Bangalore.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 12:24   #113
BHPian

Quote:
loaded with waaayyyyy more features and equipment + better interior quality / fit-finish
Well, not really. if "waaayyyyy more" is DSG + sunroof for Octavia, then Yeti has Haldex 5th gen AWD on offer instead. And regarding "better" interior quality, it just appeals more due to the shade and looks. Basically the design. Quality of materials in Yeti interior is no less. Fit-finish is top notch in both. There is simply no compromise there on either of these cars. Both are equally great.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:38   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The interior space while adequate is not luxurious... I mean when Skoda is positioning it in the premium segment, can't they offer somewhat better interior space.
I don't know with which crossover or hatch are you trying to compare with. The space utilization is one USP of the yeti. It has got ample headroom because of the raised roof, and the rear seats can be inclined, adjusted sideways, and can be folded or remove altogether to get more than 1650 litres carrying space. I had even transported my 64" LED TV (along with split ACs, mattress etc) with the Yeti while moving to my new flat, just a few weeks ago. You have all kind of hooks for hanging your jackets, groceries bags, rubber clips for holding newspapers, magazines etc on the door sideways. If you are talking about luxury in the sense of Superb's rear seat and space, you won't even find it any SUV/crossovers <60 lacs.

Quote:
Another thing is quite baffling - if Skoda really wants such a premium positioning, why give the Yeti the engine in a lower state of tune compared to the Octavia..
The only lower tune engine is for the 4x2 variant. The 4x4 variant has the same state of tune as that in the Octavia ambition/elegance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Please recalculate the on-road price of top-end Yeti and top-end Manual Octavia using Bangalore as the location. Suhaas lives in Bangalore.
even with Bangalore on road price, the difference is hardly 50K. Where does 2 lacs premium over the top end Octavia come into picture?

Last edited by iTNerd : 15th September 2014 at 12:49.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:57   #115
Senior - BHPian

^
My comment about the space was about the leg space of an Yeti compared to say, an Octavia. I know it is pretty versatile in space management.
Why should the 4*2 variant come with a lower state of tune? It costs a whooping 19L ex-showroom. Cars which are 1 or 2 segments lower offer similar power. So, shouldn't there be a clear differentiation when Skoda is positioning this as a premium offering?

I don't consider myself having a herd mentality but it is really difficult to justify such a heft price tag for the Yeti with a logical mind. Either of 2 things will happen very soon - SKoda will start offering huge discounts in the tune of 2-3L at least or, the Yeti will be discontinued. Whichever way you look at this launch, this looks like a totally wasteful exercise by Skoda.
Old 15th September 2014, 13:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

I think apart from existing owners getting defensive or aggressive about their purchase, I don't see any excitement around this launch, mainly because of pricing!!!

It just amazes me how there are some comparisons being made with Skoda & BMW. There is no comparison mates, if you were to google the brand value of Skoda & BMW you will get your answer. Its like comparing Spice with Apple.

The sales numbers will tell a story. Now you can continue to argue its a niche, or they are not focusing on volumes... I say, by this pricing, it will not be long before they pull the plug on Yeti. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic product, perhaps the market is not ready to pay the price that Skoda is demanding for it.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 14:12   #117
BHPian

Skoda Yeti Facelift launched in India at 18.63 Lakhs

Do not generalize because some are just laying out facts and should not be seen as being defensive or aggressive. That is being judgmental.

And quite a few members here who owns Yeti owns a BMW too including myself. Sounds silly when people comment such things comparing brands. I would respect a Maruti for what it is and a Mercedes for what it is. It's when the spectators pass comments like this is better than that without really doing homework about the products, people who have experience with that product respond to it. Further arguing and making general statements is what is ruining the sanity of the discussion. Nobody has to be right or wrong. No point arguing till others agree to ones beliefs too right.

It's a discussion, not a trial for God's sake.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 16:06   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I think apart from existing owners getting defensive or aggressive about their purchase, I don't see any excitement around this launch, mainly because of pricing!!!
This is funny. So, by expressing how my yeti offers me the exact requirements I want in a crossover/SUV at a particular price-point, you are saying I am defensive or aggressive about the purchase, then so be it. At least, I am acting it on a product that I believe its worth the penny I spent.

Quote:
It just amazes me how there are some comparisons being made with Skoda & BMW. There is no comparison mates, if you were to google the brand value of Skoda & BMW you will get your answer. Its like comparing Spice with Apple.

The sales numbers will tell a story. Now you can continue to argue its a niche, or they are not focusing on volumes... I say, by this pricing, it will not be long before they pull the plug on Yeti. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic product, perhaps the market is not ready to pay the price that Skoda is demanding for it.
The Q3 competes with X1, and the Yeti is just another Q3 with a different dress and badge at much lesser price point, with equivalent or more features and safety electronics. hence the comparison. I own a Yeti and I know, most parts it has, are all from common VW group bins (i.e., all I see are VW/Audi/Porsche inscriptions/logos in the parts and very few or little skoda ones). So there is very little of Skoda, and more of Audi/VW in the Yeti. And lets get the fact straight, the Yeti, X1, Q3, Tiquan etc are all competing products at the similar price point internationally, though its a different story that we Indians value snob in the badge than the value of the product itself.

Last edited by iTNerd : 15th September 2014 at 16:11.
Old 15th September 2014, 16:20   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I say, by this pricing, it will not be long before they pull the plug on Yeti. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic product, perhaps the market is not ready to pay the price that Skoda is demanding for it.
Completely aside from the direction of this thread, wasn't the 1.2 TSI + DSG combo supposed to come to the Yeti in India with the facelift? I remember reading that somewhere. That was supposed to make it a more compelling offering, price wise.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 16:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
The Q3 competes with X1, and the Yeti is just another Q3 with a different dress and badge at much lesser price point, with equivalent or more features and safety electronics. hence the comparison. I own a Yeti and I know, most parts it has, are all from common VW group bins (i.e., all I see are VW/Audi/Porsche inscriptions/logos in the parts and very few or little skoda ones). So there is very little of Skoda, and more of Audi/VW in the Yeti. And lets get the fact straight, the Yeti, X1, Q3, Tiquan etc are all competing products at the similar price point internationally, though its a different story that we Indians value snob in the badge than the value of the product itself.
I am breaking my own wow of not to participate in this thread. But I am compelled too. Its not just Indian's but globally there is a "value" associated with brands.

For all I care Armani is made in the same factory as Peter England, but there is a brand value associated with Armani and Armani has spent millions and possibly billions of dollars to get that brand value in place.

Perhaps Foxconn makes both apple and a nobody ever heard of smart phone. Or Xiaomi makes Mi3 and Samsung makes galaxy S4/S5 with same chipset. Does it make owning a Xiaomi is same as having an HTC One or S5.

Skoda is considered a cheap Czech brand in Europe and its only claim to fame is that it is VFM when compared to likes of VW. To compare it with BMW.... well why stop there, might as well compare it with Bentley.

Lets agree to disagree. Peace out and like I had stated its a good product, just not a good price!
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks