Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2014, 11:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti Facelift launched in India at 18.63 Lakhs

Guys, please don't get carried away by some mis-leading comments. There is no owner vs others fight or argument going on here. It's a pseudo feeling and not real. Let's not get political but be grown up about it and not speak about what is not real.

The reason why Yeti owners are speaking up is, it is not a regular car, as in a regular car buyer would not even think of getting a car with not-so-common features like Haldex AWD system, varioflex seating, etc. These are not experienced in a car in this price bracket and hence not considered when evaluating a car in this price range. Some people love to see electric seats instead and other such creature comforts. So a person looking at Yeti without learning about it or experiencing it would feel, this car offers much less for the money. But let me ask you something. You have electric seat and sunroof, fine. How many times would you adjust a seat if it is a self driven car? And in our tropical weather, how often would you use the sunroof? On the other hand, the AWD system is constantly at work to ensure your safety. I valued the latter more . I would value a feature more if it is going to keep me and my family safe. All I am saying is, it is these things the owners would wanna share. Just some more points like that which is specific to this car only (among cars in that price range).

Pricing is high, of course 20+ lakhs is not a joke. But there is a reason why some are able to see it as, worth spending that much of their hard earned money on this product. There is a reason why Yeti hit top sales for Skoda soon after it's launch (not India specific but Global). An owner who has experienced the real capabilities of this car for some years would wanna comment about that on this thread right? Not defensive and not worked up, but honestly trying to share the perspective which led him to think it was and is still worth the cost in a positive way. That's all. After all, the thread is about Yeti and it's cost. Looks worth for some, may or may not be worth for many. Please respect each other's opinions (be it calling Yeti worth the cost or saying it's not worth the cost) and not generalize or divide between groups.

Even I would love to see Yeti with DSG and Pano roof in India but sadly that is not available yet. So the views are common and why is there a feeling that owners are defensive and aggressive and what not... LOL

Sounds too silly when people talk owners vs others. That is getting down to school level. Kindly avoid that

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 16th September 2014 at 11:14.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 11:30   #17
BHPian

I love the Yeti. Now that I read the skepticism, I love it even more.

I just wish they'd launched the L&K version. Would have taken that over Bavarian or four rings any day, If I were in the market for this segment of car that is.

Laura vRS was priced lower than Yeti when I was picking up one. So if Yeti is priced more than Octavia, It seems to a trend that has been previously set.

Slightly off-topic, the reaction on this thread sort of cements the fate (If it were to ever exist) of VW Golf in India. With the GTI version priced closer to the A4, we would have murdered the car even before the car touched down on our soil.
azeemhafiz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 17:27   #18
BHPian

What I feel is Skoda doesn't want to sell Yeti in big numbers. They know very well that even if they keep the same price as the previous version, there will not be many takers, unless they could bring it to Terrano / Duster top end level (15 lakhs). This may not be possible with the current exchange rates / taxes and other reasons.

As Shankar and few other rightly said this is a very niche segment and you cannot expect volumes. And moreover almost all cars which tried to reduce their prices midway did not succeed read -Baleno, Jazz and maybe now the Fiesta.

Another rationale behind the decision I feel is that a person who is ready to plonk 20 lakhs for a car would not be bothered about a few lakhs here and there, unlike the 5 lakh or 10 lakh segment cars where people try to stretch and go for the next segment or top end models . The Yeti being so specific a segment, a person who wants to buy a yeti doesn't have many choices. The terrano / duster is not comparable on quality where as the X1s and Q3's may not be suitable for the rough and is way more expensive. The fortuners / endys are too big / uncomfortable on our roads for me.

Being a yeti Owner myself and having gone through some beating from the Skoda after sales, still I vouch for the car. Working in the middle east I have the luck to drive and own various high end cars and I still would rate yeti on top of the list considering our crowded cities and road conditions. Of course the DSG would have been a welcome addition as this is always a self drive car. Now if you ask me whether I would buy the Yeti again - The answer is NO, but this is not because of the price. The reason being 1) I have owned the yeti for some years and wanted a change 2) I am not too happy with Skoda after sales support. But to be honest I still haven't found a suitable replacement car for Yeti in India so far which fits my budget of 25ish.
Catamaran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 08:46   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran View Post
Being a yeti Owner myself and having gone through some beating from the Skoda after sales, still I vouch for the car.
I would have really loved the car, if instead of bringing down creature comforts, if Skoda had plonked in a 1.6L diesel (instead of 2L). A 4x2 in that state of tune and capacity, would have been far more appealing (again my personal views). And in no way it would have been under powered.

I do understand people who are willing to spend 20+ wont bother much on +/- couple of lakhs, but a 15-20L bracket can also be a razor's edge.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 09:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to this thread I've been reading up on the Yeti, Haldex Traction and so on.
To be honest, I never knew it was so highly rated by car critics globally despite vaguely knowing that it is a good car. Now, if only Skoda had a better reputation in India, I think with good advertising it would catch the fancy of well heeled buyers even at the rather stiff price point. And of course the automatic transmission variant would have helped matters.
But I guess they are not really interested in India since the vehicle is so well received in the major markets.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It is the 5th Gen Haldex in the facelift Yeti. Also my Yeti has given me 0 issues as compared to my vRS which has given me niggles here and there inspite of the Yeti being used in a much rougher manner.
Thanks for correcting me. Yes the new 4 by 4 Yeti has 5th generation Haldex Clutch.

To me it seems that the product is value for money except for the fact that we have got this from Skoda, had it been Toyota selling the same one, there would have been no blinking on the VFM factor.

Cheers
Old 17th September 2014, 09:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

If I had the money, this is the car I would buy, without thinking twice.

Those who don't or think the car isn't worth the price, rest your arguments and relax. Skoda isn't likely to change the price or the car because some/a lot of folks think it's over priced. Even in the previous avataar, it didn't sell much and it's not like Skoda doesn't know that.

They're sticking to some strategy for their vehicles (smart of fail) and let them be. Enough has been discussed in this thread, that was to reveal the revised Skoda Yeti. It's a great car with price, that is either acceptable or not. Can we draw the curtains?
Old 17th September 2014, 11:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
To me it seems that the product is value for money except for the fact that we have got this from Skoda, had it been Toyota selling the same one, there would have been no blinking on the VFM factor.
Toyota has the RAV4 compact crossover elswhere, and a popular one. But I guess Toyota knew this segment can't compete with the Ecosport/Duster/XUV as the pricing would be far or less in tune with what the Yeti is in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Skoda is considered a cheap Czech brand in Europe and its only claim to fame is that it is VFM when compared to likes of VW. To compare it with BMW.... well why stop there, might as well compare it with Bentley.
On the funnier side, I should be easily forgiven for just comparing it with a BMW X1! Forget Bentley, Clarkson compared and tested this 'cheap' Czech against the likes of Macbech, Ferrari 308, Range Rover and what not etc. I guess, either he didn't realize its a very 'cheap' brand worthy of no attention/review, or that he finds a certain value (or a lot) and versatility in it, that he never utter even a single negative in the review..very unlike Jeremy who is well known for bashing and otherwise which we all know..
iTNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 23:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
This is what I gathered (from the brochure). Items that are missing on the old Yeti:

New features:
  • Cruise control
  • 12 way electrically Adjustable driver seat with 3 programmable memory functions
  • Bi-Xenon headlights w/ dynamic levelling and rectractable washers
  • LED daytime running lights
  • LED taillamps
  • Tyre pressure monitoring (TPM)
  • 5th Gen Haldex AWD (4x4 variant only)
  • (MDI) Multimedia Device Interface compatible with USB(std, mini, micro)/AuxIn/iPod
  • Electrically adjustable/foldable external mirrors with memory and boarding spot lamps
  • Bluetooth® with Audio streaming
  • KESSY - keyless entry, start and exit system with engine start/stop button
  • Remote control opening and closing of windows
  • Tinted windows

Smaller bits:
  • Bi-colour roof
  • New Steering wheel
  • New Alloys design
  • Aluminium look pedal covers with rubber anti-slip inserts
  • New Corporate front look

Good to have/Desirable/Missing:
  • DSG gearbox
  • Panoramic Sunroof
  • 170 bhp variant
Very useful post. Can someone please add price for each of the feature that was added ? Will it add upto 4Lacs ?

Last edited by F150 : 17th September 2014 at 23:54.
Old 18th September 2014, 07:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Very useful post. Can someone please add price for each of the feature that was added ? Will it add upto 4Lacs ?
Just making a conservative estimate:

Cruise control - 10K
12 way electrically Adjustable driver seat - 25K
Bi-Xenon headlights w/ dynamic levelling and rectractable washers - 60K
LED daytime running lights - 10K
LED taillamps - 10K
Tyre pressure monitoring (TPM) - 10K
5th Gen Haldex AWD (4x4 variant only) - 20K (upgrade price from 4th gen)
(MDI) Multimedia Device Interface compatible with USB(std, mini, micro)/AuxIn/iPod - 10K
Electrically adjustable/foldable external mirrors with memory and boarding spot lamps - 5K
Bluetooth® with Audio streaming - 20K
Engine start/stop button - 10K
Tinted windows - 10K
Bi-colour roof - 5K
Aluminium look pedal covers with rubber anti-slip inserts - 5K

And lets say, the corporate looks front/back/ new steering wheel - 20K

Total ~ 2.3 L

Was not the old yeti elegance 4x4 priced around 18.xx ex-showroom delhi? so, I guess 20.5 ex-showroom for the newer one is not bad considering the new kits.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 07:58   #26
Team-BHP Support

FYI, when queried about the bi-xenon lamps for the existing Yeti, I was quoted well over 1L for it. And the RH ORVM costs 18,197 to be precise.
Old 18th September 2014, 09:01   #27
BHPian

I think the headlamp washers alone costs a lot too. Individual equipment costs summed up will never be less than the cost difference between both cars. Bulk import of parts and integrating them during production stage has to be cheaper.
Old 18th September 2014, 09:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
FYI, when queried about the bi-xenon lamps for the existing Yeti, I was quoted well over 1L for it. And the RH ORVM costs 18,197 to be precise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I think the headlamp washers alone costs a lot too. Individual equipment costs summed up will never be less than the cost difference between both cars. Bulk import of parts and integrating them during production stage has to be cheaper.
Lets not also forget, the estimate needs to take into account the cost of the already available parts such as non-xenon lamps, retractable but not foldable ORVMs etc. on the earlier model i.e., assuming the older lamps cost 30-40K for a pair, the 60K balance pricing on the bi-xenon/retractable washers etc. Same for the ORVMs - foldable functionality may be just be 5K or less IMHO. Of course, for the manufacturer, it would be much cheaper. But just comparing if the price increase is reasonable for the new kits
Old 19th September 2014, 13:52   #29
BHPian

Re: 2014 Skoda Yeti Facelift : A Close Look

Setting aside everything else and just considering the design of the car, I am shocked by the price point for the Yeti. There are some quirky designed cars in the market, like the Brio but it is still aesthetically pleasing but the Yeti, IMO is not pleasing to the eyes at all.
Old 19th September 2014, 14:02   #30
BHPian

Re: 2014 Skoda Yeti Facelift : A Close Look

If wishes were horses, I would ask for a Yeti with an auto box.
Yes, price notwithstanding !

And this is my story-
I was really, really keen on the Yeti, and had the good fortune of getting stuck in a traffic snarl, caused by a dug out road with mountains of mud to negotiate during the "test drive". What was supposed to be a quick test drive in a 3-4 Km circuit turned into a 1.5 hr drive over 8 Km including detours through bylanes and "kutcha roads". Fabulous vehicle !! The only downside was that I stalled it 5-6 times and came back with an aching left foot. There went my dream of the Yeti. The showroom manager himself was with me that day, and he started the journey knowing full well he has a customer who has come with the cheque book. The journey ended with a sad looking manager who knew full well he has lost a deal, and a committed buyer looking lovingly at his 8 yr old Innova at the Skoda parking lot :-(

Ah, if wishes were horses, I would ask for an Yeti with an auto box .....
Contrapunto is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed