Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2014, 14:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Skoda Yeti Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Though we didn't get a chance to drive extensively off-road, we ventured into a small incline for the photo shoot. While going downhill, the vehicle felt quite reassuring. But, when we tried climbing back up, it wasn't as competent. Had to heavily slip the clutch with generous throttle input to make the car move. This lack of extreme low-end torque (and no low-ratio box) means a lot of clutch slipping in a few demanding situations. That raw-egg smell? It’s the sign of an overworked clutch.
Was the car in off-road mode (eg. off-road button is pressed) when you tried climbing?
Old 19th September 2014, 15:27   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
If wishes were horses, I would ask for a Yeti with an auto box.
The only downside was that I stalled it 5-6 times and came back with an aching left foot. There went my dream of the Yeti.

Exactly the same feeling driving my uncle's 4x4 Elegance in Chennai city. While I didn't stall it after the first couple of times (you get used to it), the 1.5 hour drive through traffic left me with a aching left foot.

For a definitely non-chauffer driven, premium, soft-off road vehicle, I wonder why they didn't bother to put in the DSG!
Old 19th September 2014, 15:27   #33
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the review and excellent pictures! Really like the softened new look of the Yeti. And after seeing the review, again feeling bad for the fact that they're not offering the top-of-the-line variant with DSG and other goodies like the panoramic sunroof. Even if its priced at a premium of Rs. 100-150K above the current 4x4 MT, it would have been a compelling option compared to the likes of mid-premium segment SUV/Crossovers like the Koleos or the Santa FE.
Old 19th September 2014, 15:57   #34
BHPian

The top gear review of the old-yeti sums up the capabilities of this machine. And it looks from this review that the new yeti just better than the old one in every way.

Thanks for the excellent review.
As many people here would agree, only if the Yeti came with a Pano-sunroof and a DSG box!
Old 19th September 2014, 17:16   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
The top gear review of the old-yeti sums up the capabilities of this machine.
I totally agree to this. That's one magnificent review, they passed the yeti through burning house and even landed a helicopter on yeti's roof in an episode , it's just built to withstand any abuse. I wished skoda had a better service network then would have definitely buy the Yeti.
Old 19th September 2014, 17:33   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Was the car in off-road mode (eg. off-road button is pressed) when you tried climbing?
Yup it was in offroad mode, steering tracking straight with a small bump in front of the front left wheel and at a slight incline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
I wished skoda had a better service network then would have definitely buy the Yeti.
More than the network, the existing workshops needs to improve upon the service levels. That would be the key thing for success or failure for Skoda.
Old 19th September 2014, 18:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
The top gear review of the old-yeti sums up the capabilities of this machine. And it looks from this review that the new yeti just better than the old one in every way.
That youtube video is just the last 50%. The full video review (16 mins) is here

Quote:
Yup it was in offroad mode, steering tracking straight with a small bump in front of the front left wheel and at a slight incline
I had my share of climbing/sloping with the yeti in various places around Himachal/Uttarkhand (Hatu's peak, Kasol, Rohtang Pass etc) , and in most time it crawls without any hesitation with the offroad mode, snow or slippery roads. But it got better tyres to start with (the geolandars HT). In fact, the OEM tyres are just normal car tyres and may not provide the kind of traction/grip needed for soft offroad.

Last edited by iTNerd : 19th September 2014 at 18:25.
Old 19th September 2014, 19:01   #38
BHPian

I wish they trim off all the gadgets and entertainment system and provide a base yeti 4*2 with just ABS and Air Bags for a reasonable price.
Old 19th September 2014, 20:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti Facelift launched in India at 18.63 Lakhs

Quote:
Just making a conservative estimate:
Total ~ 2.3 L
Cruise control - 10K
You're looking at a lot more than that

Bi-Xenon headlights w/ dynamic levelling and rectractable washers - 60K
Rs. 1 lakh+. The headlamp assembly (without bulbs/ballasts) alone retails for 400 pounds sterling abroad.

Tyre pressure monitoring (TPM) - 10K
Extremely conservative

5th Gen Haldex AWD (4x4 variant only) - 20K (upgrade price from 4th gen) Again too conservative

(MDI) Multimedia Device Interface compatible with USB(std, mini, micro)/AuxIn/iPod - 10K
Rs.15k abroad, should be a lot more landed here with customs duty

Electrically adjustable/foldable external mirrors with memory and boarding spot lamps - 5K
Again, expecting a VAG part to cost < $100 is being very optimistic

Bluetooth® with Audio streaming - 20K Rs.30k

Tinted windows - 10K Current Yeti already has tinted windows. Don't know if this tinting is different.
Old 19th September 2014, 21:24   #40
BHPian

Thank you Jaggu & Khan_Sultan for the nice write up and photos. For quite some time Yeti has been my dream car. Really liked the improvements they have done, minus the looks they spoiled - somehow I like the way the old variant looks.

Skoda - Yes
Quirky - Yes
Pricey - Yes
Macho - No

If searching in that price bracket, will I buy it YES
Old 20th September 2014, 15:16   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Jaggu!
Thanks a lot!

Is there a price list of these accessories?
And can we automatically infer that all these accessories will fit/ suit the older version of the Yeti?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this.
Thanks

Quote:
Skoda will be offering a host of accessories to customise your Yeti:
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 23:38   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In fact, the OEM tyres are just normal car tyres and may not provide the kind of traction/grip needed for soft offroad.
Yup we were on OEM tyres. But the more i think about it, i feel it has to do with that ridge in front of the front Left tyre which was acting like a wedge. As i said it was just once, after we moved out of that ridge things were just fine and smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
I wish they trim off all the gadgets and entertainment system and provide a base yeti 4*2 with just ABS and Air Bags for a reasonable price.
Volume's don't justify, look at the sales figure. Why have many models if it is going to sell only handful a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Jaggu!
Thanks a lot!

Is there a price list of these accessories?
And can we automatically infer that all these accessories will fit/ suit the older version of the Yeti?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this.
Thanks
At the time of drive price list, including that of the vehicle was not there. Now it should be available. Yes it should fit the old Yeti as long as the accessory does not have dependency on the changes introduced. Like the synch cable which can be specific for the Head Unit. But a mat or roof rack should fit.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 17:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Volume's don't justify, look at the sales figure. Why have many models if it is going to sell only handful a month.
With that kind of attitude they are never going to sell more than a handful.

In the UK the Yeti is available in both 1.2 tsi and 1.6tdi versions and both of these are noticeably more cheaper to run and affordable than the 2.0 tdi and are widely acclaimed by both the customers as well as the motoring magazines. In fact many journalists recommend these two versions over the larger 2.0 tdi.
Why are they not releasing these versions here in India? It will make the Yeti just that little bit more affordable to a lot more buyers.

And before anybody wishes to say they will be hugely underpowered and not suitable and so on, I wish to remind you all that the UK market is much more mature than our own and majority of the Brits are already used to driving vastly more powerful cars than we can only dream about. If these two smaller engined Yeti's are good for them, I think it's plenty enough for us.
Old 21st September 2014, 17:27   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ive seen several examples of the Yeti Greenline Petrol 1.2 in Scandinavia and the drivers seem very pleased with it overall.

Without the Haldex etc the vehicle becomes quite a bit lighter and I don't really think that these vehicles are underpowered at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post

In the UK the Yeti is available in both 1.2 tsi and 1.6tdi versions and both of these are noticeably more cheaper to run and affordable than the 2.0 tdi and are widely acclaimed by both the customers
And before anybody wishes to say they will be hugely underpowered and not suitable and so on, I wish to remind you all that the UK m If these two smaller engined Yeti's are good for them, I think it's plenty enough for us.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 19:04   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
It is business sense, they won't be able to sell the car below 12 lakh at any case, even if it is fully manufactured in India. And it's not worth investing in complete production at this point, when they can reap more benefit from the existing portfolio itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ive seen several examples of the Yeti Greenline Petrol 1.2 in Scandinavia and the drivers seem very pleased with it overall.
How much do they sell for? With manufacturing facilities in Europe they can definitely price it much cheaper there is what i feel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks