Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 13:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop - 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift! Caught without camo on page 3

The facelift is uninspiring.

However, if Hyundai is working on the "boat" part of the Verna, hope they can make this as an all round option.

With competition hotting up with the new City and the Ciaz, this is like taking a step back for the Verna and sort of conceding the sales on a platter to either the City or the Ciaz.
Old 18th September 2014, 15:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Am so with you on this one! Park this next to a corolla and you would easily think there are 2 toyotas.

One word for the looks - Boring. The current Verna when launched in 2011 was radical departure from the ridiculous looking Verna-Transform and its predecessor that we had to live with since 2009 i think.

This 2015 one, instead of improving the design simply makes it lose the stand-out looks.
Agree with you. After such a long time, the facelift is expected to be a good one. But the pics do not look impressive.
I personally do not like the grille as it somewhat destroys the sporty looks of the current Verna
Old 18th September 2014, 15:34   #18
BHPian

Verna has a tough task of challenging the might of Honda city, which has kind of become invincible ever since the launch of its Diesel sibling.

Hyundai needs to bring in better gearbox and flat torque range as peppy drive is what the Honda city good at.
I think, 80% of buyer would not get into the details of suspension and other finer prints. Had it been the case non of the Honda City versions (Except first generation may be) would be have sold so well.
In short Suspension was never good as far as seating comfort is concerned in the Honda City.
Old 18th September 2014, 15:54   #19
BHPian

What new design. Looks like Hyundai reused a design for the verna from 2010/2011 period. Here is a scoop pic posted in one of our forums .

Notice the head lamp design in the pic above. Again I repeat the pic is from 2010/2011 period.
And there are several posts with hyundai verna pics in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1811919
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 16:09   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The current Verna when launched in 2011 was radical departure from the ridiculous looking Verna-Transform and its predecessor that we had to live with since 2009 i think. This 2015 one, instead of improving the design simply makes it lose the stand-out looks.
I have a theory that the major models are designed by an 'A-team' at Hyundai - hence the smart looks of the current fluidic Verna.

On the other hand, the B-team gets roped in for the facelift, and their output is less inspiring - see the Verna Transform with its weirdly 'pulled down eyelid' headlamps.

In this case, we must at-least be grateful that the B-team have not savaged the car like they did with the Verna Transform.

The A-team meanwhile are probably busy designing the next major & global model of the Accent/Verna.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 16:43   #21
BHPian

This is very good news. Hyundai Verna offers outright power for the enthusiast driver but was always let down by the suspension. If they are indeed going to fix the suspension, the car would be a delight for any enthusiast.

I am looking to upgrade from my diesel hatchback to a sedan and would be very interested in Verna is they also start offering a turbocharged petrol variant. Hyundai, are you listening?
Old 18th September 2014, 18:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I hope everyone realises that this - below - is the new face of the Verna.

Frankly, it looks a bit like Toyota designs and I'm not impressed! The front end somehow doesn't gel with the swooping side profile.

Attachment 1288915
The front end looks hideous! The Fludic Verna is already a good looker with sleek lines. Couldn't they have fashioned the front similar to the new I20? This looks like as if it's been pulled from a Toyota Camry.

As a current Verna owner, I can't say I'm impressed.

Old 18th September 2014, 18:56   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Am so with you on this one! Park this next to a corolla and you would easily think there are 2 toyotas.
I mistook that for a Camry!

Quote:
One word for the looks - Boring. The current Verna when launched in 2011 was radical departure from the ridiculous looking Verna-Transform and its predecessor that we had to live with since 2009 i think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
What new design. Looks like Hyundai reused a design for the verna from 2010/2011 period. Here is a scoop pic posted in one of our forums.
The Verna transform was a vague looking car, the older model was at least better to look at.

The transform looked like a Gillette razor, the slats looked like the blades on the razor!

I can see something similar happening with the newer one though it doesn't stand out much.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 21:18   #24
BHPian

Too many lines on the car (or any car) for that matter is not good. They are catchy on the eyes only for the very first glances and tire later on. The trend towards the creases in increasing, the Verna, City etc. The timelessness of the car is lost and will need a fresh set of different creases to make it look contemporary.
And what's with the head lamps, why should the projector be in it, even if does not suit the theme (the Zest would a looked better with smoked rather than that odd looking half glass ball like design). For technical reasons it might be a better option, but there are more better technical/safety features like ESP that make more sense (but it does not stand out like the glass balls do they :-) )
The face lift makes it relevant, not better.
Old 18th September 2014, 21:51   #25
BHPian

Being a diesel auto Verna owner and having driven the car for 10k+ km, i feel that

The following changes should me made to the facelift

1)Suspension tuning for 120kmph and above stability.
2)Steering feedback at high speeds
3)Minor ailments like weak headlamps, the poor throw fountain wiper spray which causes scratches and the "jugad" of the poor excuse for height adjuster. Feels more like a Pseudo-lumbar support adjuster to me

As far as the 4-speed auto tranny goes, i really don't think its that bad of a deal breaker like the common word amongst masses.
Trust me on this, i'm a true blood enthusiast who loves the redline which see's me using triptronic mode 60% of the time, and

the beast of an engine mask's the incompetence of the 4-speed very well.

Acceleration is still strong and economy is decent considering the number of gears and engine power combination.

Now don't point your guns at me. I don't say that a 5/6-speed wouldint have been welcome. But i don't consider the gearbox a negative if not a positive.
Besides, who can forget that atleast Verna was the only one to offer us the cheapest and only diesel auto in its segment or below for years! So we can't take that much of a penance against them can we?

Cheers!
Starfire
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 04:37   #26
BHPian

If the scoop holds good and the launch happens next year then I see that 2015 will be very exiting for folks planning to get a ride in this segment.
By then I think the competition between City & Ciaz will settle down.
VW is expected to update the Vento.
Linea expected to get a 1.6 MJD mill and make over of this once king of the segment as they say is the icing on the cake.
As usual a perspective buyer like me next year will be thrown into another complex puzzle of decision making :banghead: .

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 19th September 2014, 11:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Didn't they do that already? In Autocar India's 2014 Verna review, they say:
Yes, but that was just a mid-life tweak. In addition, they were also replacing the coil-spring dampeners in some Vernas to improve the suspension response and high-speed handling.

But this time there are reports of extensive reworking of the suspension itself. Judging by the way they have improved the dynamics and handling of the Elite i20 over the earlier fluidic i20, it can be confidently said that the 2015 Verna will be a better handler than the present-gen Verna.

Let's hope they do something about that claustrophobic rear seat and that lifeless steering as well. This facelift gives them the best chance of improving on most shortcomings of the Verna, until the next all-new generation is due.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 20:46   #28
D4D
BHPian

Ah, an overdue suspension upgrade.

->If Hyundai get the dynamics right like how they have managed in Grand i10 and Elite i20, there's a some serious competition to Honda City.
->Going by the Russian website, this seems just a facelift and there won't be any change in dimensions.
->Reduce Turbolag in the diesel.
->Also, when Russia get a six speed AT for petrol, why can't India get it too?
Old 20th September 2014, 14:58   #29
BHPian

These new 'Fluidic' designs are now getting too weird for my sensibilities, no offence to anyone. Initial iterations looked fresh because they were new, previously unseen. Maybe now, just to appear different and fresh , they should launch more conventional designs.
rednikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 02:29   #30
BHPian

Maybe Hyundai could add a few practical features like Cruise Control which is like a sigh of relief on long drives. Sunroof would make things better. But what needs to be addressed are two departments : mainly the high speed dynamics and rear seat comfort. I agree not many of us like to become Schumachers on an open stretch of road, but with a capable beast under the bonnet, its difficult to overcome the temptation. Similarly for Indians, the rear seat is as important as any other aspect of the car. With newer members in the segment like the ANHC and the Ciaz lined up, Hyundai needs to work hard in this department to make Verna regain its seemingly lost charm
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks