Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2006, 05:23   #46
BHPian

devarshi84,

Are the two websites you quoted legit? They look so not authentic to me.

I am trying to figure out what's so special about Montero compared to the old Pajero to command Rs. 30-40L. Clearly, it doesn't compete with Landcruiser Prado at all in my mind.
Old 20th August 2006, 02:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
The Pajero 2.8 retails for 18.5 lacs on-road, over here, in Thane.
Sorry, would just like to make a small correction here. Just checked out again today; The Euro-III (BS-III) Pajero 2.8 CRZ retails for 20 lacs on-road, not 18.5. The prices that I quoted were ex-showroom...

@THE-U-; Now THAT, is a valid question. The Montero is not as robust or bulletproof machine as the old Pajero 2.8. On what grounds exactly is the 16 lac increase justified....? Hmm...
Old 20th August 2006, 03:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
The Montero is not as robust or bulletproof machine as the old Pajero 2.8. On what grounds exactly is the 16 lac increase justified....? Hmm...
lets compare apples to apples.

ON what grounds is the 37.5+/39.12/39.23 lacs price ex-showrooom (Mumbai/Ahmedabad/Delhi) of prado justified?

if buying between the two, would you pay 10lacs more just because its a prado?

Dats a whooping 10 lacs less or 25%.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 20th August 2006 at 03:38.
Old 20th August 2006, 04:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
lets compare apples to apples.

ON what grounds is the 37.5+/39.12/39.23 lacs price ex-showrooom (Mumbai/Ahmedabad/Delhi) of prado justified?

if buying between the two, would you pay 10lacs more just because its a prado?

Dats a whooping 10 lacs less or 25%.
The Prado clearly is closer to Lexus GX which retails in excess of $58K I believe in the US (the V8 though). What makes the Prado stand out?

1. The silky smooth 4litre VVTi V6 engine that produces 235 ps of power that is approximately 40% more than the Montero.

2. The smooth five speed automatic transmission.

3. In general the Mitsu interior doesn't compare well with Toyota

4. Nearly 0.7 m of wading depth more typical of Landcruisers.

5. The air-suspension with rear height adjustment/ 2nd start.

In essence, the Prado is fully loaded. When a Camry lists for Rs.22L I can see the Prado listed for Rs.39L. Although the Montero may be slightly bigger than the Pajero with some increase in ground clearance, I don't see any reason why the new one should cost almost double when there doesn't seem to be any features standing out. May be it will have all the features of Prado, but I simply don't see that in the other markets. Its not like the Mitsu has the reputation of a Landcruiser elsewhere. May be the high price is because its a PBU, but they want to bring these in to sell only a few? I just don't understand it. Looks like the Terracan was indeed a good value for money although it lacked in the looks department.
Old 20th August 2006, 12:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

New montero all ready for manufacturing. According to the reader's comments it shares the platform with ford or is it the other way round?

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/24/s...-next-montero/

@THE-U-

Mitsu's old pajero 2.8 is still an SUV that people Swear by. I dont expect 3.2 to do wonders but it surely is equally capable if not more.

can we use the montero Specs(except engine which is 3.2 in India) from the Canadian website? If yes then comapre these.

1. The Prado sure makes 70ps more but what counts is the torque in an SUV. Montero 3.2 makes around 38KGM of torque while Prado makes 36KGM. Also prado is all-time AWD while Montero has an option to select 4wd only when needed. Plus Montero is more logical vehicle being a diesel.
specs taken from here.
http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=1420
2. Prado wins handsdown. Automatic sure is luxury. I consider it Prado's strength coz nobody is gonna axually take a 30+ lac behemoth off-road.
3. A RV meter, Compass, LCD Display, Suede leather and wood interiors match up almost everything the prado has to offer in quantity and quality. The central console is marginally better on Prado though.
4. Sizewise Montero is bigger than Prado (Specs taken from Canadian website considering its a CBU) and has better Ground clearance.
5. NO info on this but give it to Prado.

Plus prado has sunroof, 17" wheels compared to possibly 16". But the question is, if Montero is not worth the price, Do you think Prado is worth at 10lacs more for some extras like Sun-roof and a 4ltr petrol that is not logical today?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 20th August 2006 at 13:11.
Old 20th August 2006, 17:44   #51
BHPian

Well, in my mind the Camry is not worth the Rs.22L it is listing for. However, if I were to choose between the Prado at Rs.40L and the Montero at Rs.34L, the Prado is definitely worth more money because of its pedigree and other amenities and it is lighter to begin with.

The question though, is the new Montero that much better than the old Pajero? I think not.
Old 21st August 2006, 02:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

The price difference is not just prevelant in India.... US Base Retail Prices:

Mitsubishi Montero: $36,159
Lexus GX470 (Prado): $46,635

My pick, the Prado anyday. Why? Because it is a better car.
Old 21st August 2006, 10:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
The price difference is not just prevelant in India.... US Base Retail Prices:
Mitsubishi Montero: $36,159
Lexus GX470 (Prado): $46,635.
Arush, the Prado equivalent in the US is the 4runner which starts well under 30K USD. One of the reasons for Monteros failure in the US.

The GX is based on teh same platform but is loaded to the gills with HID, air suspension and V8 from big bro LC.
Old 21st August 2006, 10:43   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

If the next Montero is anything like the one posted on autoblog then HM should seriously consider producing it in India to get high volumes i am sure it will be a winner!
Btw, I wonder why the new Vitara has not yet been launched here! That would bring some excitment in the SUV segment.
Old 21st August 2006, 19:15   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Arush, the Prado equivalent in the US is the 4runner which starts well under 30K USD. One of the reasons for Monteros failure in the US.

The GX is based on the same platform but is loaded to the gills with HID, air suspension and V8 from big bro LC.
The 4 Runner is not the Prado equivalent although the GX and the 4 Runner may share the same platform. The Prado looks (both exterior and interior/ wind shields/rear quarter windows/console etc.) very similar to the Lexus GX. Also the height adjustable air-suspension, 2nd gear start etc. are only on the GX.

As you may know the price difference between a V6 and V8 has been rather minimal in the 4 Runner. So, the V6 doesn't cost much less. In fact, last year, the V8 4 Runner SR5 was retailing for less than the V6.

However, the Montero competes in the 4Runner segment. Monteros selling not so well in the US may partly be due to the fact that they only have one trim in the US (Limited). While pricewise the Limited compares well with the 4Runner Limited, the Limited only contribute close to 10% of all the 4 Runner sales. In that sense, the Montero sales may not be that disappointing.

So, if one were to recast the question: Would a GX be more preferable to a fully loaded 4Runner? Sure it would be if one can afford it, because the GX indeed is more VFM in my opinion.
Old 21st August 2006, 21:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

LINK

here is a group road-test of all the suv's in 2005.

Mitsubishi montero is placed 3rd while 4Runner is placed 5th.
Old 23rd August 2006, 01:00   #57
BHPian

Is the Prado Assembled in India? How about the Terracan and the older Pajero?
Old 23rd August 2006, 03:56   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U-
Is the Prado Assembled in India? How about the Terracan and the older Pajero?
Prado and Terracan are CBU, fully imported
The older 2.8 Pajero is assembled here.
Old 23rd August 2006, 23:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U-
The 4 Runner is not the Prado equivalent although the GX and the 4 Runner may share the same platform. The Prado looks (both exterior and interior/ wind shields/rear quarter windows/console etc.) very similar to the Lexus GX. Also the height adjustable air-suspension, 2nd gear start etc. are only on the GX.

However, the Montero competes in the 4Runner segment. Monteros selling not so well in the US may partly be due to the fact that they only have one trim in the US (Limited). .
4runner is the Prado equivalent if you compare the specs and prices. I am not talking about looks here.
Old 24th August 2006, 00:52   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
4runner is the Prado equivalent if you compare the specs and prices. I am not talking about looks here.
With all due respect, the 4 Runner is not the Prado equivalent. In fact there is no Prado equivalent in the US market although the Prado is indeed closer to the Lexus GX than the 4 Runner. I wasn't just talking about the looks either.

A better comparison is found in the UK market. Check out the land cruiser at:
http://www.toyota.co.uk/ and the Shogun Long Wheel Base at

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/sho...sp?strCar1=KL7

The Land Cruiser is more expensive than the Shogun (Montero) for the equipment level found in the Indian Prado by about GBP 2500-4000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Prado and Terracan are CBU, fully imported
The older 2.8 Pajero is assembled here.
I guess this explains the price difference between the 2.8 Pajero and the Montero 3.2. I am beginning to like the Terracan, wish they had assembled it locally, then the prices would have been closer to the Endeavor.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th August 2006 at 02:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks