Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:11   #1
Team-BHP Support

Scoop: Toyota's short-term product plans

Thanks to BHPian mints21 for sharing this information with other enthusiasts.

Japanese carmaker, Toyota's short-term product plans for India have been revealed. Here's a quick look at what's in store:

1. The next-generation Innova will be launched at Auto Expo, 2016. Team-BHP scooped the MPV in July this year. Toyota appears to have made some changes to the design of the vehicle. At the front is a raised bonnet with a larger and more imposing grille and large swept-back headlamps. Viewed from the side, the new car appears to have similar doors and windows to the current model. However, the design of the glass for the third row seems to have been changed and the ground clearance and the overhangs of the MPV seem to have been increased. The car also sports redesigned alloy wheels and a shark fin antenna. Coming to the rear, there is a pair of new horizontal wrap-around tail lamp clusters. The rear wiper has also been replaced with a smaller, more modern unit.

2. The current Innova will see more limited editions in the evening of its life and (unfortunately) price increases till December 2015. The current Innova is already expensive, and the new Innova is expected to be priced Rs. 1 - 1.5 lakh higher.

3. The all-new Fortuner will also be at the Auto Expo, 2016. The SUV has been spotted testing in Thailand. Click here to read what BHPians have to say about the new Fortuner.

4. Toyota is considering the launch of the Vios during the same period along with one more car (details of which are still not clear). At present, the Vios is manufactured in China, Thailand and Malaysia and sold in various Asian markets. Standing 4410 mm long, 1700 mm wide and 1475 mm high, the car follows Toyota's new design language, which we have seen on the recently launched, 11th generation Corolla Altis. It comes with a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that puts out 108 bhp @ 6000 rpm and 141 Nm of torque @ 4200 rpm. The car comes with a choice of automatic or manual transmission. For India, we expect the 1.4-litre diesel engine from the current range to be considered as well. Click here to read what BHPians have to say about the Vios.
Aditya is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop: Toyota's short-term product plans

Wow. 2016 Auto Expo launch for Fortuner and Innova means they have nothing for the entire 2015.

2016 is way too late for the Innova and Fortuner. From the looks of the camouflage vehicle they are not revolutionary but more evolutionary.

The Vios maybe a good option but looking at Altis pricing, the Vios may end up being priced above the City/Verna/Vento.

Trying times for Toyota for the next 18 months.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

They still don't have any plans for electric or hybrid cars for India. I don't understand this.

Whatever happened to the plan to exploit the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP) 2020?
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Aditya for the report.

Just by captioning their press release as short term plans doesn't change the fact that their earliest 'all new' products are all of 1.5 yrs away at least. Special editions through 2015 is hardly surprising nor really a 'product plan' of any note.

Was there any info provided on whether they'll finally launch an Innova with an AT? Was this asked? I would be REALLY keen on any info on this.

Finally, I think the asking price for Innovas is really hitting the roof and 1 - 1.5 lakhs extra for the all new is a lot although I was mostly expecting it. At the very least, I hope they offer that much more in the product, either in terms of looks or interior quality etc. I guess in the continued absence of a "direct" competitor alternative - one that takes on the Innova spec for spec, they can keep making a run on the product as long as customers are willing to pay the hefty premium. I know I for one would likely cough up the asking money, however grudgingly it may be, because there's still nothing out there that gives me exactly what the Innova offers.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

So hardly any interesting plans for India in the near future. Sad.
I did read elsewhere that they are eyeing the subcompact crossover/SUV segment. I suppose they are not anywhere near ready currently.
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:01   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, please note this insider information is mainly for the Innova, Fortuner & Vios. It's not Toyota's entire product plan. That is, the Liva / Etios *could* see updates, and there *might* be some hybrids on the way too (don't know, just saying).

This is a partial insight into their plans, and not the entire picture.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:03   #7
BHPian

For some reasons, I had to postpone my SUV plan by two years. Even as of today, I have been more inclined towards the XUV500 W4 variant. If Innova becomes more and more expensive, there would be hardly any reconsideration towards purchasing it.

It appears that Toyota seriously expected the market to hug and embrace Etios/Liva against its competitors, the same way we accepted Qualis over all its competition then in 2000. Seems, the Toyota management has decided to punish the customers by refusing to launch new products in the market and keep on increasing the Innova price

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2014 at 12:58. Reason: Typo
PNTLovesNano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Other than the confirmation of the Vios, rest of the new anyone can guess.
But, wonder what the second vehicle after Vios would be? The Yaris hatch??? Wishful thinking...

Toyota should really look into introducing the Rush and Avanza , especially Avanza as the Innova is moving up market even more. The Rush, maybe not, as they have told that India would get only the next gen Rush in 2016+.

Also Toyota shouldn't dare to launch the Vios with the D4d tuned anything less than 90bhp.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
1. The next-generation Innova will be launched at Auto Expo, 2016.

2. The current Innova will see more limited editions in the evening of its life and (unfortunately) price increases till December 2015. The current Innova is already expensive, and the new Innova is expected to be priced Rs. 1 - 1.5 lakh higher.

3. The all-new Fortuner will also be at the Auto Expo, 2016.

4. Toyota is considering the launch of the Vios during the same period along with one more car (details of which are still not clear).
1) Too late.

2) Will continue to sell. But exclusivity will not be there. There was some "Crystal" Edition which is almost extinct and in case of a very successful product, such mild limited editions wont help. Fact is, the product is quite strong as a package for its target buyers and will continue to sell.

3) Fortuner rules the roost, and I dont see anybody from Maruti, Hyundai or Honda challenging it. The Indian SUV makers like M&M and Tata are already having their hands full on their existing range and such a badge for "Premium" SUV will not be digestible to Indian attitudes. Toyota sure is minting money in case of Fortuner.

4) Since ages these roumours are up and running, including some cover page articles by ACI and may be some other auto mags. I dont see it coming soon. And if its not coming soon, there is no point in showing interest. This should have been on Toyota showroom floor in place of Etios. Even after field runs start, it might take atleast 1 year to furnish the product for Indian conditions. I am afraid that tests for current generation Vios are yet to commence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't understand this.

Whatever happened to the plan to exploit the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP) 2020?
I believe that they wont be the one to take the lead here despite having tech and also they are known to be followers like shadow, not leaders, atleast in India. Toyota followed simple formula with qualis and is still doing the same with Innova.

Overall, placing Innova higher than current price will bring in numbers for M&M, Maruti, Honda and Tata. Touching Rs. 18-20/- lakh that too after a couple of years is too much. Expectations from powertrain might go significantly higher, which Toyota might find tough to achieve.

Innova and Fortuner are already on threshold of high pricing. Any further can hurt them, mainly Innova.
Vios is a forgotten story. If Toyota was sincere, they car would be nearing launch now.
Nothing significant. On the other hand, resale value of Innova and Fortuner will remain immensely strong for these two years.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Wow. 2016 Auto Expo launch for Fortuner and Innova means they have nothing for the entire 2015.

From the looks of it, there seems to be a global policy paralysis at Toyota. Their current automobiles seem to be perceived as distinctly lacking in imagination and technology - compared to the competition: especially from Korea and from some of their smaller Japanese rivals- Mazda and Subaru.

Many people I know here in the US have opted for one of the other options I've mentioned, after having included a Toyota in their initial shortlist.
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
information is mainly for the Innova, Fortuner & Vios. It's not Toyota's entire product plan. That is, the Liva / Etios *could* see updates,
Some information from Economic times of today :

Toyota Motor is developing a mid-size sedan for the Indian market where it will likely take on rival Honda Motor's City, the top-selling car in the segment.The development work has already begun and the car is expected to hit the market at the end of 2016, three people with knowledge of the company's plans said.
It will be based on the Etios platform and is internally codenamed Etios C or Etios Core, they said. The car will be positioned between Toyota's existing entrylevel sedan Etios and the globally popular Corolla Altis.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...23092014006035

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd September 2014 at 09:10.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:31   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder how much better would the car be on the Etios platform. With Toyota they could do better by not carrying the Etios platform further. But I presume, they will end up with a new looking etios and few features throwing in and price at Honda City levels and laugh all the way to the bank at least for the initial few months.
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I knew for sure that earlier timeline for Toyota to launch Innova replacement was 2015 end (~ OCT). From this post it looks like the project is delayed by around 6 months.

It is somewhat curious since there are no other major products which Toyota is working for in India and also TKM is receiving major support from parent company for setting up a production line.

With two set of price hikes it needs to be seen how Innova replacement will fare in the market.
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

The product plan seems to be in the predictable lines with the best sellers getting better namely Innova and Fortuner.

Hower a little curious about the Vios since it looks very much like the new Corolla IMO in a smaller package. Not sure how it will affect the Corolla sales in the long run.

Now with the Vios launch would the Etios take the compact sedan route is a question that would come up in the mind.
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

2016 and they call it short term ?

Why do they treat markets such as Malaysia and Thailand at higher priority over ours ?
Is it because they focus only on the taxi segment here ?

Talking about the so called car made for India - Etios, Its not so bad design from the exterior. Its balanced and especially after seeing the new Corolla in India, Etios suddenly appears great too.

I would have preferred hearing from them about completely revamped interiors, especially that DASH Board. Now that would have been called short term. How much of a big deal is it to just change the look of the dash board completely ? (I dont have big hopes from them after seeing new corolla dash)

Below pic is of Vios: Why cant we have something similar(albeit lower quality)

Source: indianautosblog

Last edited by rajshenoy : 23rd September 2014 at 17:04.

Most Viewed