Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:32   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Soon, affordable Hybrid cars from Maruti!

Maruti-Suzuki India Limited, India's largest car seller, is working hard to develop affordable hybrid cars for Indian customers in the next 3-4 years, reports ET. The cars, from the entry-level Alto to the premium hatchback, the Swift, might deliver 20-30% more mileage than their respective petrol counterparts.

Soon, affordable Hybrid cars from Maruti!-maruti.jpg

Quote:
"It is no more a concept. The real work is under way and the hybrid technology development is at an advanced stage," said one of the people. "A large part of the development is happening in Japan and key inputs from Indian R&D engineers are also being absorbed. The idea is to offer a technology to the mass with not a major price difference over existing petrol cars."

Experts say if Maruti cracks the hybrid formula, it will be able to take the fuel efficiency of petrol cars beyond 25 kilometres per litre. By offering AMT at an affordable price, Maruti has already turbocharged the adoption of clutch-less cars in India, they say. One of the biggest advantages for Maruti is the sales volume it generates, which allows it to spread cost wide and keep prices low.

"The success of hybrid depends on affordability as the Indian consumer is highly value and cost-conscious," said Gaurav Vangaal, senior analyst, forecasting, at IHS Automotive. "Maruti can penetrate the cost levels in India given the volume of its products."
SOURCE - ET
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 07:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Soon, affordable Hybrid cars from Maruti!

Another revolution from Maruti Suzuki?
I hope this should be a Global development, in this case it's going to be only with Gasoline engines. Just wondering who is next to carry out the same / similar development on Diesel engines.

PS: When Toyota is already leading in this technology they must have initiated the affordable version of hybrids. Is there some silent bomb ready for explosion underground with Toyota?
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is what a market leader ought to be doing. It should also start introducing safety features across all models and range. At least they can give optional safety features on Lxi/Vxi trims. They have potential to lead the market by setting up the examples and make money too in the process.
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Diesel engines are already 20-30% efficient. Hopefully, the price will be attractive.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:31   #5
BHPian

Re: Soon, affordable Hybrid cars from Maruti!

This is more than a welcome step taken by Maruti. Given the pollution level in our metro cities we need to see more and more hybrid cars on the road. But the only factor so far has been the price point. Toyota Prius is out of reach for the common commuters. So, if Maruti delivers what it is promising it will be another revolution. Way to go Maruti. You revolutionized Indian car market with 800, then came the AMT with Celerio, now we are eagerly waiting for another revolution to take place.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:35   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yes, this news is true. Maruti is working on hybrids and is hopeful of bringing them here in a big way.

It's proven that Maruti can bring technology at a great price. Case in point = The practical-for-India AMT which has a premium of merely Rs. 40,000 on the Celerio (most other AT hatchbacks are priced a lakh higher than their MT siblings).

Honestly, if Maruti can pull this off (and I have no doubt they will), you're looking at a 30% increase on their already fuel-efficient cars. The masses will go nuts!! Hybrids are designed for exactly the kind of bumper-to-bumper traffic conditions prevalent in India.

There's another advantage, when Maruti introduces a new technology, there's a greater chance of mass acceptability (as we saw with the AMT). This might just be the trigger for other manufacturers to start work on their hybrid plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
When Toyota is already leading in this technology they must have initiated the affordable version of hybrids. Is there some silent bomb ready for explosion underground with Toyota?
I certainly hope so. They even showcased the tech to Indian media : Link to Samurai's excellent report.

Toyota might be the master of efficiency worldwide, but they have yet to prove that they can provide quality at VFM prices in India. Either their cars offer poor quality (Etios, Liva) at the same price as the competition, or excellent quality at a woefully high premium (Innova, Fortuner). We're still to see Toyota's hallowed production system working toward the customer's advantage in India.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Do you think hybrid cars will work in India when driven in bumper to bumper traffic, say being used as a daily office commute. The average speed of driving in India is 20 kmph durng peak hours / in business district.

Say I commute to work between 9-6 in any city. Hybrid mode works below 20-25 kmph , post which the "engine" kicks in. In say Bangalore or Chennai or Mumbai, the average vehicle moves only at that speed.

This would give minimum or no time for the battery to charge back. I dont think it will work. Hybrid would work in foreign countries, where there are reduced speed limits fora temporary period (say consturction)and then the speed is upto 60 mph. This is when a hybrid works. Hybrid also works at parking in shopping malls and similar where the speed is less.

- I hope the hybrid in this scenario means a true hybrid like the Prius and not some gimmick like "Micro Hybrid" .
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
This would give minimum or no time for the battery to charge back. I dont think it will work. Hybrid would work in foreign countries, where there are reduced speed limits fora temporary period (say consturction)and then the speed is upto 60 mph. This is when a hybrid works. Hybrid also works at parking in shopping malls and similar where the speed is less.
I guess thats what Maruti would be 'developing' otherwise there is nothing to develop for them. They could have used other's technology as they did with diesel engine if it was available and cheap.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I guess thats what Maruti would be 'developing' otherwise there is nothing to develop for them. They could have used other's technology as they did with diesel engine if it was available and cheap.
They might probably come up with a Range extender. Say 400 kms on Petrol and additional 50 kms on battery**** (conditions apply - ideal conditions, not breaking, no AC etc).

Otherwise, if they offer a true hybrid like prius / civic, I couldnot guess how they can recharge batteries when in indian traffic conditions.

I think, they could implement the highway cruise ability, by disabling two cylinders out of four or one cylinder out of three, to increase mileage. It is easier to implement than a hybrid battery pack system. This is already available in US and UK (Honda Odyssey for example).
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:29   #10
BHPian

I'm going out on a limb and saying that this will be a Chevy Volt - like hybrid rather than a Prius kind of hybrid.
Volt uses an ICE to power a generator, that is the main source of energy, along with regenerative recharging. Car is driven by the electric motor solely.
Prius is a plug-in hybrid that depends on an external source for recharging the batteries. Car is driven by both electric and gasoline engines depending on load.

Reasons that favour the Volt design in India:
  • Not enough kinetic energy in our nasty bumper to bumper traffic to efficiently recharge a battery by regeneration.
  • Electricity is still scarce. Depending on the grid for electricity won't be a good idea for recharging the car
  • Range will be a problem with the Prius design. Since we have a decent network of petrol stations, the volt design will cover the range issue.
Horizon81 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sweet, sweet news!! Hope Govt also encourages hybrids with lesser duty - that would be the icing on the cake! If anyone can pull it off, its Maruti!
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Swift Hybrid for Japanese domestic market was showcased not too long ago, with the expected fuel efficiency being called out as the same 25+. I think they are talking about an extension on those lines across the K-series engines.

Swift Hybrid thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-hybrids.html

Quote:
I think, they could implement the highway cruise ability, by disabling two cylinders out of four or one cylinder out of three, to increase mileage. It is easier to implement than a hybrid battery pack system. This is already available in US and UK (Honda Odyssey for example).
Isn't the cylinder de-activation practical only for big engines? All cases I've read about are 3500cc and above V6s and V8s where even with half the cylinders, it is a respectable cubic capacity and cruise power. Would it really make sense in a 1000cc 3 cylinder engine which gets converted into a 660cc engine-2 cylinder aka Nano?
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Swift Hybrid for Japanese domestic market was showcased not too long ago, with the expected fuel efficiency being called out as the same 25+. I think they are talking about an extension on those lines across the K-series engines.

Isn't the cylinder de-activation practical only for big engines? All cases I've read about are 3500cc and above V6s and V8s where even with half the cylinders, it is a respectable cubic capacity and cruise power. Would it really make sense in a 1000cc 3 cylinder engine which gets converted into a 660cc engine-2 cylinder aka Nano?
If they are going to add a battery pack for extra 35 kms range, Then I am sure it will be a market Dud. For maintaining the battery and also paying a higher initial cost, I am better off paying for Fuel for that extra 25 kms.

In USA, cruising speed is 70 mph or 112 kmh. In india, The safe speed to travel around 80-90 kmph only. So, in a 1.5 4 cylinder motor, one cylinder can be cut out and it could function as a 3 cylinder 1.2 cylinder motor. today, a 1.2 motor can easily do 80-90kmph cruise.
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In india, The safe speed to travel around 80-90 kmph only. So, in a 1.5 4 cylinder motor, one cylinder can be cut out and it could function as a 3 cylinder 1.2 cylinder motor. today, a 1.2 motor can easily do 80-90kmph cruise.
Since we are speaking about Suzuki engines, we don't have any 1.5L engine. The biggest one is the 1.4L on Ertiga and Ciaz, with everything else either 1L or 1.2L which would become 660cc/2cyl or 900cc/3cyl for again a very marginal gain.

With half the cylinders from 6 cylinder to 3 cylinder, it gives a reasonable gain in FE but not anywhere near double the FE. So the gain from just one cylinder out of rotation is not going to be too huge either. 900cc-3cyl for a K12 engine is at best going to give figures similar to what we get from the current K10 engine. That is not a huge difference really, if you discount the higher weight of the cars with K12 currently which would still be the case even if K12 runs with 1 cylinder less.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 00:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think hybrid cars will work in India when driven in bumper to bumper traffic, say being used as a daily office commute. The average speed of driving in India is 20 kmph durng peak hours / in business district.
:
Bumper to bumper traffic will actually work in favour of introducing hybrid technology, take for example regenerative braking.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks