Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 20:13   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Honeybee, moved your thread with an older one that touches upon the subject. Also, here's another related thread.
Old 18th August 2010, 08:54   #32
BHPian

Well WIAA website seems to be down for couple of days atleast. That does not talk too much of their modernization. In Google Chrome if you want to open the site it opens a cached copy from 9th August. That means it has been down for over a week now.

Last edited by vikrantj : 18th August 2010 at 08:57.
Old 19th August 2010, 22:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for the merge.

The website was broken last week when I tried to access it. However on more research I found its homepage is broken, but other pages might work if you can access them directly. The Google search returned two links, one to the homepage and the other to the membership details page. While the homepage returned an error, the membership page surprisingly opened and I was able to browse through most of the content.

So the main advantages seem to be saving on the RTO hassles and a little money on the insurance. I had once subscribed to a yearly contract with Spectra Motors which included free towing within the city limits (back when I used to drive from home to Andheri W). But never had to use it.
Old 19th August 2010, 22:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well I am surprised no one has mentioned the AAUI. Based in Delhi it covers the Northern part of the country. We have been life members for more time than I can remember. Over the years they have helped us with
New D/Ls
Transfer of out of state WB no. to a DL no. for my first purchase.
Renewal of D/Ls
Priority service through their desk at the passport office(service no longer available)
NOC from local RTO for cars sold to out of state buyers.
IDPs every time a family member has travelled overseas.
Medicals pertaining to my Dad becoming a senior citizen.
Many others including employment of drivers (long term as well as valets for parties etc.)

Here is their web site AAUI
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 15:44   #35

re: Automobile Associations in India : AASI / AAUI / WIAA

Sorry for bumping this long forgotten thread, but is there any organisation yet existing, by the name of Automobile Association of India? I was trying to renew my car insurance and royal sundaram has a discount for its members! I had no clue of such a body.

I always thought, Team BHP was the only one...

Wish all BHPians, a Happy New Year.
Old 28th December 2020, 16:19   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Automobile Associations in India : AASI / AAUI / WIAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_anirbanghosh View Post
.. is there any organisation yet existing, by the name of Automobile Association of India? I was trying to renew my car insurance and royal sundaram has a discount for its members! I had no clue of such a body.
Automobile Association in India operates in separate chapters. Western India AA is based in Mumbai, AA of South India based in Chennai, but offices in Bangalore too. This is as much as I have checked.

Check for other chapters. Last week I gave my DL renewal documents to AASI office in BLR. And every insurance renewal, I get that discount. Nominal life membership fees, and charges for any RTO work are very nominal. Have been a life member for 20 years now.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 08:37   #37
BHPian

Re: Automobile Associations in India : AASI / AAUI / WIAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Automobile Association in India operates in separate chapters. Western India AA is based in Mumbai, AA of South India based in Chennai, but offices in Bangalore too. This is as much as I have checked.

Check for other chapters. Last week I gave my DL renewal documents to AASI office in BLR. And every insurance renewal, I get that discount. Nominal life membership fees, and charges for any RTO work are very nominal. Have been a life member for 20 years now.
There was a time when assistance for RTO work and insurances renewal was needed, these days RTO work is almost all online, so is all insurances, automobile associations are only there as on now for IDP as some countries still want book form IDP like Japan, even that was a failure in my case as i had applied online through RTO and got a IDP last year, which is still valid till this August, but now with plans of traveling to Japan with no other choice left became a member paying 7k, now they tell that they can only issue IDP if they can apply to RTO online themselves and then issue the book IDP, that they can't do as RTO does not allow applying for a IDP while the previous one is still valid, their logic is an IDP is valid for world over and they can't issue another one. But the Automobile Association is suppose to apply for the RTO IDP as we all do and then based on that they issue the book, why can't they do that using the present IDP that's still valid, they are all outdated fixed thinking officers who are just as any other government office, wasted money
Old 5th May 2023, 08:55   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Automobile Association in India has sadly become a largely Toothless and useless body. AASI, AANI, WIAA etc.

In our case, various persons in the family including me, have been Life Members of AASI for a couple of generations.

Probably the only redeeming thing they have available for Life Members are those nice Brass AASI badges.

By contrast, in our neighbouring country Sri Lanka the Automobile Association is a vibrant club with plenty of properly working services.
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Associations in India : AASI / AAUI / WIAA-img_6830.jpeg  

Automobile Associations in India : AASI / AAUI / WIAA-img_6832.jpeg  

Automobile Associations in India : AASI / AAUI / WIAA-img_6833.jpeg  

Automobile Associations in India : AASI / AAUI / WIAA-img_6828.jpeg  

Automobile Associations in India : AASI / AAUI / WIAA-img_6825.jpeg  

Automobile Associations in India : AASI / AAUI / WIAA-img_6826.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th May 2023 at 08:57.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 06:44   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Automobile Association in India has sadly become a largely Toothless and useless body. AASI, AANI, WIAA etc.

In our case, various persons in the family including me, have been Life Members of AASI for a couple of generations.

Probably the only redeeming thing they have available for Life Members are those nice Brass AASI badges.

By contrast, in our neighbouring country Sri Lanka the Automobile Association is a vibrant club with plenty of properly working services.

So true, will said

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks