Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2006, 07:37   #16
BHPian

AASI gives TTK maps? Do their maps have details inside cities? I have found it almost impossible to drive with some of their bigger maps. Getting into a city is easier, it seems so difficult to go through as the roads are not marked. The TTK maps were of no help in that regard.
Old 8th August 2006, 20:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U-
AASI gives TTK maps? Do their maps have details inside cities? I have found it almost impossible to drive with some of their bigger maps. Getting into a city is easier, it seems so difficult to go through as the roads are not marked. The TTK maps were of no help in that regard.
I have yet to come across a road map that gives you details of city Roads. TTK are the best we can get but as you said they are useless. Some of the city road maps given in the local shopping guides are equally bad.

When you are travelling long distance its dreadful to pass through some of the cities, where even the basic road direction boards are absent.
In most cities like Bhopal, Solapur as you pass through any of the sales tax check post, you can pick up a proffesional messenger who will lead you out of that city onto the other side for a nominal charge of RS 50.
Old 8th August 2006, 20:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

If you want to just pass through the city, try following a ST / long-distance bus. You could supplement this with asking for directions ..

Varun, thanks for that point.
Old 9th August 2006, 17:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
If you want to just pass through the city, try following a ST / long-distance bus. You could supplement this with asking for directions ..
One of the funniest directions I got from an eager and helpful dude in Hyderabad. Waving his hand frantically and pointing towards eternity he said " TURN STRAIGHT "

So long....
Old 19th December 2006, 16:17   #20
BHPian

Automobile Associations

Hi guys,

Been wondering if it really helps to belong to some Automobile association, like Western India Automobile Association, Automobile Association of South India, Automobile Association of Upper India.

Have been through their websites. They seem to povide a host of services, interesting ones are help in dealing with insurance matters and like.
Can someone please shed some more light.
Old 19th December 2006, 16:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

If you have a company car - no

I buy/sell your car frequently or drive cars nearing the re-registration stage etc- worth enrolling.

I enrolled when my licence broke. They took it in and issued a certificate. Replacement came in three days. If you are a life member, then they will issue IDP's directly to you without having to go to the RTO
Old 19th December 2006, 16:31   #22
BANNED

Could somebody also post the details of how to join these?
Old 19th December 2006, 16:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Could somebody also post the details of how to join these?
Go to AASI (Automobile Association of Southern India) on Ravipuram Road, about 100/150 meters before the temple. Its a ramshackle old house that looks like its going to fall down sometime soon.

You will get the forms - one for each vehicle. If you're lucky they may also provide you with the AASI badge sometime in the future.
Old 19th December 2006, 22:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Go to AASI (Automobile Association of Southern India) on Ravipuram Road, about 100/150 meters before the temple. Its a ramshackle old house that looks like its going to fall down sometime soon.

You will get the forms - one for each vehicle. If you're lucky they may also provide you with the AASI badge sometime in the future.
Thanks Steer... Thanks Zak.... usefull info!!! so Zak, when are you going?!!
Old 20th December 2006, 15:24   #25
BHPian

Thanks Ajmat, sounds like its worth joining.

And yes, they do claim to provide a metal badge (kinda looks official!!!!), if you take life membership.

Happened to see one on some car, which actually prompted me to put out this query.
Old 22nd July 2009, 07:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Metal badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_freak View Post
Thanks Ajmat, sounds like its worth joining.

And yes, they do claim to provide a metal badge (kinda looks official!!!!), if you take life membership.

Happened to see one on some car, which actually prompted me to put out this query.
I wanted to pay 3k and join AA just for the badge. But I got one of those metal badge in the scrap yard!!
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:45   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I just joined the AA of South India Chennai chapter.

The main benefit is some discounts in the insurance and the RTO related work like licensing/address change/vehicle registration etc. The main benefit provided by clubs abroad, i.e vehicle breakdown services is limited only to the cities/towns that have an AA office so if you break down somewhere on the highway outside of city limits there is no breakdown service. I clarified this when I took my membership. They can also issue you an International Drivers License.
Old 16th August 2010, 09:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Membership of WIAA

Are there any benefits to becoming a member of an institution like the WIAA (Western Indian Automobile Association)? I mean apart from the benefits mentioned on the website?

Are there any members here who are also members of WIAA or a similar association? Have you people been happy with it?
Old 16th August 2010, 11:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have been a member for several years. The only time I used its facilities was to get an International Driving Permit. They do have a towing service in Bombay city, but I have never used it. It is a sleepy organisation with very little modernisation and services.
Old 16th August 2010, 22:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Are there any benefits to becoming a member of an institution like the WIAA (Western Indian Automobile Association)? I mean apart from the benefits mentioned on the website?

Are there any members here who are also members of WIAA or a similar association? Have you people been happy with it?
I am a life time member of AASI. They are good if you want some RTO related work to be done. I got my address change and hypothecation cancellation done through them. Saves the hassle of dealing with the RTO guys or the agents.

I paid 3500/- for the life-time membership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks