Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2006, 21:55   #1
BHPian

Should Tata Indica Sport be launched?

Remember the Tata Indica Sport displayed in AutoExpo 2002.....

Yellow paint, body kit, black interiors, 15-inch alloys, sporty steering wheel, gear knob, muffler tip, drilled pedals with 85-bhp Indigo powerplant ......

Besides Tata is also developing a 1.4litre twin cam 16-valve 100-bhp engine .....

I felt the need to make a seperate thread for this topic cause I personally that Indica has the potential for becoming India's true hot hatch after the Palio 1.6.

Tata has all the resources with its partnership with Williams F1 and Narain Karthikeyan and thus, the indica sport may be realistically priced below Rs. 5 lacs and will really give the swift a run for its money.....

By the way, when are we going to see 'Indica silhouette' racing series in India.....

Dear BHPians, what do u think???

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 30th July 2006 at 21:58. Reason: Forgot to post some extra data...
Old 31st July 2006, 04:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

The first problem is that TATA Indica does not have a sporty image so its going to meet the same fate as Hyundai trying to rub shoulders with Skoda and Mercs.

2nd prob is FE. People on low budget also have tight fuel budgets so its going to be a tough sell....but TATA is known to pull miracles, so lets wish them all the best and wait for the car.
Old 31st July 2006, 09:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

after the JV between fiat and tata Indica ,sports doesnt seem to have a future.
Old 31st July 2006, 10:03   #4
BANNED

Quote:
By the way, when are we going to see 'Indica silhouette' racing series in India.....
One word answer Never!
Read that as a 1.6L Twin Cam 16 Valve.. had the opprtunity to take a small spin in the car a few months ago and it goes alright.. but then there's that one lil problem.. when you get out of the car.. ITS STILL AN INDICA and that to me is its BIGGEST PROBLEM!
Old 31st July 2006, 10:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

2l8, you're confusing the Indica Sport with the Silhouette. The Former is an Indica with a 4 banger and good suspension, the latter is a space frame chassis with a fibreglass body that resembles the Indica and has a mid-mounted V6. And No, there is no way in hell that car will ever make it anywhere except maybe a race track.
Old 31st July 2006, 11:02   #6
BANNED

Hah! That's one funny joke man, Tata Indica vRS...should be quite a scorcher I'm sure.

The only thing it will do faster is break down.
Old 31st July 2006, 11:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
Remember the Tata Indica Sport displayed in AutoExpo 2002.....

Yellow paint, body kit, black interiors, 15-inch alloys, sporty steering wheel, gear knob, muffler tip, drilled pedals with 85-bhp Indigo powerplant

Dear BHPians, what do u think???

The Indigo powerplant is nothing to write home about. So from the look of it, I think this car is just "All show....no gyan" thing, with those "drilled" pedals, muffler tip etc. yeah, then, this could well find buyers-the wannabe boy racers

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
Besides Tata is also developing a 1.4litre twin cam 16-valve 100-bhp engine.....
Lets wait and see. First sort the car, then fit the stuff

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 31st July 2006 at 11:09.
Old 31st July 2006, 11:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

The main problem with Indica is the "Cab" image..... People will not go for a Sporty cab. TATA has made enough money on this Indica platform... May be they can come up with a good sporty platform on which they can introduce a really Sporty car... I am talking about a sporty looking car not a sports car .

Indiaca though has made wonders for TATA, it seems really pathetic for a sporty car image... Though you give treatment of a V6 to Indica, once you are out of the car, its still the same pathetic cab outside.... So better be TATA keep away from this idea.. I guess TATA must be thinking of re-bading the Punto as TATA-FIAT Punto... Punto has done the same wonder for FIAT.. It will be a nice move by TATA to rebadge FIAT vehicles henceforth... Though many ppl like me will hate this thing most...

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport / 13 KMPL / AND IT ROCKS !!!

Last edited by neoonwheels : 31st July 2006 at 11:13.
Old 31st July 2006, 11:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Tata Indica has the structural rigidity to be a sporty car. Suspension needs tightening. Image, that takes time to build, so one has to start somewhere. Moreover the Indica bodyshell really has aged gracefully, and why not it was penned at Italdesign, so what, if the indica is used as cabs. The 405 in TAXI was also a cab!
At the moment lets just wish that there is a competition in the hot hatch segment, perhaps that would force Maruti in bringing swift with its REAL engine (not the Esteem or the anticipated Baleno one). So it will be a lot god for us general public if we reserve the harsh words against Tata and just encourage them to bring the Indica sport out.
Old 31st July 2006, 12:12   #10
BHPian

Regarding the argument that Indica doesn't have a sporty image...Tata can redesign it and rebadge it just like GM restyled the Optra and named it as the SR-V...It is quite difficult for a layman to recognise dat it's an optra at the first glance........
Old 31st July 2006, 15:42   #11
BHPian

I think Tata should go ahead and make one. They will have the Xeta for the economy and the Sport for the enthusiasts. Where did they sport go, it was indeed a looker and had also craked 180kmph!! The lights of the sports are now used in the Indicab. Their 1.4L engine will do duty on the Indigo as well from next year when Euro IV norms are made compulsary.
Old 1st August 2006, 19:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
Image, that takes time to build, so one has to start somewhere. Moreover the Indica bodyshell really has aged gracefully, and why not it was penned at Italdesign, .
Both Palio (original) and Indica were done by IDEA studio in Italy. Optra and Aveo are by Italdesign.
Old 1st August 2006, 20:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

dont think Tata's are really plan this side of 2007, coz they will be bringing out new indica and hopefully with new powerplants sourced from fiat thru alliance as well as inhouse development. just bolting spoilers n skirts with good alloys n snazzy graphics wont help current indica to be a sporty car.
still u never know....
Old 1st August 2006, 21:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp421b
Their 1.4L engine will do duty on the Indigo as well from next year when Euro IV norms are made compulsary.

I thought that this engine already did duty on the Indigo!
Old 2nd August 2006, 00:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
I thought that this engine already did duty on the Indigo!
He may be meaning to say the 1.4L 100bhp engine which is going to come in due course.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed