Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2014, 14:22   #1
BHPian

Mercedes GLA-Class launched at Rs 32.75 lakh

Mod Note: Team-BHP's review of the GLA-Class has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion on the new thread. Thanks!

Mercedes-Benz has launched the GLA crossover in India at prices starting from Rs. 32.75 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The car is pitted against compact SUVs such as the BMW X1 and Audi Q3.

Mercedes GLA-Class launched at Rs 32.75 lakh-gla1.jpg

The GLA shares its platform with the A-Class hatchback. A raised stance and large wheel arches gives it a muscular look. At the front it has a two slat grille with the Mercedes-Benz star in the centre, bi-xenon headlamps with LED day-time running lights and a front bumper featuring diamond-pattern grilles in front of the cooling air intakes. On the sides, the GLA features curving shoulder and character lines while at the rear there are wraparound tail lamps and a bumper with black grain trim and matt silver chrome skid plates and twin chrome plated exhausts. The car rides on the 18-inch, 5-twin-spoke alloy wheels, and gets aluminium roof rails.

On the inside, the GLA gets a cabin similar to the A-Class. There is a 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel and the dashboard has five round air vents with galvanized bezels. The seats are upholstered in leather with the ones at the front being electrically adjustable and the rear one getting a 60:40 split function. Equipment includes an infotainment system with a 14.7 cm screen, Harman Kardon audio system, satellite navigation, rear-view camera, CD and MP3 compatibility and USB and Bluetooth connectivity.

Safety features such as airbags hill start assist, ESP, ASR, BAS are standard on the GLA. The car has earned an NCAP rating of 5 stars.

The GLA is available with a choice of two 4-cylinder engines - one petrol one diesel. The petrol unit is a 1991 cc motor that develops 181 bhp @ 5500 rpm and 300 Nm of torque @ 1200-1400 rpm. The diesel engine has a displacement of 2143 cc and produces 134 bhp @ 3600-4400 rpm and 300 Nm of torque @ 1600-3000 rpm. Both engines are mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.Mercedes claims fuel efficiency figures of 13.7 kpl and 17.9 kpl for the petrol and diesel engines respectively.

Prices (ex-showroom, Delhi):
  • GLA 200 CDI Style: Rs. 32.75 lakh
  • GLA 200 Sport: Rs. 36 lakh
  • GLA 200 CDI Sport: Rs. 36.9 lakh

Mercedes GLA-Class launched at Rs 32.75 lakh-gla2.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2014 at 08:55. Reason: Link to review :)
tbppjpr is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 14:38   #2
BHPian

re: Mercedes GLA-Class launched at Rs 32.75 lakh

I am a little confused about my opinion on GLA. i like it and i dont. standalone, it looks to be a good one, but put in the competition, X1 has an edge in space and engine specs. A class has a lower tuned engine, but MY GOD its a looker, and has the same footprint as the GLA.

Mercedes could have been a little more aggressive with pricing to make it an easier choice.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 14:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

So, Mercedes resorts to one of the oldest tricks in the book - use beige for the interiors of the GLA to give it a feeling of more space when compared to the A class.

Must say I like the way it looks though. The black and the beige and the chrome look really nice and well integrated. However, the A-class experience suggests the room available on the inside should be rather less.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 14:58   #4
BHPian

I was there last week when the Pune dealer launched the GLA at the Bund Garden Road showroom. The car sure is a looker but IMO a little cramped from the insides.
Old 30th September 2014, 15:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I am a little confused about my opinion on GLA. i like it and i dont. standalone, it looks to be a good one, but put in the competition, X1 has an edge in space and engine specs. A class has a lower tuned engine, but MY GOD its a looker, and has the same footprint as the GLA.

Mercedes could have been a little more aggressive with pricing to make it an easier choice.
Exactly my thoughts as well.

To be honest, I did not like the interiors and it somehow does not give he feeling of a car costing almost Rs. 40 lacs on road!!

X1 looks more upmarket IMHO.
Old 30th September 2014, 17:34   #6
BHPian

For a premium car these omissions are absolutely shocking
- No automatic climate control, forget dual-zone. Can't imagine why provide electric & memory seats at the front, but omit climate control!
- No rear a/c vent either
- No parking sensors (there is a reversing camera though)

Other shortcomings
- Interior space is hatch-like. GLA is what A-class should have been really, in the Indian context.
- Small boot space further compromised by spare wheel taking up space in the boot area instead of under. No runflats either, so no option but to carry the spare wheel.

Having said that, if one can overcome these omissions and compromises in his mind, its one good looking fun car. 181HP petrol engine with 7 speed dual clutch transmission, paddle shifts, Harmon Kardon sound system, panaromic sunroof and especially the extra ground clearance will keep you entertained.

Will be a tough choice though with A3, Q3 & X1 in pretty much the same price range. Its a good competitor to A3 though slightly more pricier than A3. Q3 is more practical choice. So GLA has to be a decision to be made with the heart not mind. Lot of money for not-so-lot a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

The Mercedes GLA 200 is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine good for 181bhp and 30.59kg of torque
Quote:
1.8-litre petrol with a 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox - 13.8Km/l
The petrol engine specification is not accurate in many of the auto sites. Is it 2.0 or 1.8L? Even MB site had it listed as 1.6L earlier in the afternoon which they seem to have corrected to 2.0L.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th September 2014 at 18:21.
Siva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 17:45   #7
BHPian

I'm a little confused about the GLA as well - I don't know if I like it or not. It's a much better looker than the Q3 and X1, but it still looks like an A-Class that's been inflated a bit.

What pisses me off though, is that they skimped on things like Climate Control but add a Hill Descent feature. Who the hell is going to be going to be any serious offroading in this thing??
Also, 134bhp from a 2.2L diesel engine?? Are we living in 2004??
The Q3 middle and top trims get 174bhp from their 2-liter mills, and the X1 gets 180bhp.

Last edited by ghostrider : 30th September 2014 at 17:52.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 18:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I'm a little confused about the GLA as well - I don't know if I like it or not. It's a much better looker than the Q3 and X1, but it still looks like an A-Class that's been inflated a bit.
Definitely looks more radical than either of the other two. More butch appearance when compared to A-class. CLA will probably have more fans on the looks front though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
What pisses me off though, is that they skimped on things like Climate Control but add a Hill Descent feature.
I don't think there is any Hill Descent feature either in the India spec versions at the moment. That might come when the 4MATIC versions are released.
Old 30th September 2014, 18:18   #9
BHPian

*sigh* Great looking car but for the ridiculously oversized tri-star. Guess they feel the need to be loud about their 'cool' logo. One customer they will never ever get.
Old 30th September 2014, 18:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

I don't like the dashboard layout. That touch screen seems like an afterthought and sticks out of the dashboard - certainly not something that is acceptable for any cars north of 10L. They should have integrated it into the audio system. Is it so difficult?
Old 30th September 2014, 22:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

The car looks amazing but 134 Bhp is way too less power for this price point.

Also no climate control , 8 Lakh Rs car's have this now.
Old 30th September 2014, 22:51   #12
BHPian

It's Mercedes Benz by the way!!! Why expect a Maruti like pricing or treatment. This isn't for mass (well, no decent crossover in Indian market is for mass), if folks have enough money to splurge on this beauty, so be it.
I had long back enquired on A class, and today got a call from the showroom on GLA. I've settled for yeti already.
Overall, it's a nice car, not more car per car.
Old 1st October 2014, 11:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

That petrol engine is awesome! Same torque as the diesel. Would love a test drive, even though I can never afford one

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Also no climate control , 8 Lakh Rs car's have this now.
Quote:
Key Features
  • Dual-zone climate control
Am I missing something?
Old 1st October 2014, 11:52   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the information. It may not have many takers at these prices, since they are very much in Audi territory, and very close to 5 series as well if the buyer wants to stretch.

Hopefully saner pricing by the 'standard unwritten' discount rule will come soon, and we will be able to see some of these GLAs on the road.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 12:09   #15
BHPian

While looking at the prices one needs to bear in mind that GLA is still a CBU whereas X1 and Q3 are CKDs.

I am expecting a 2-3 lakh drop in price or considerable bump in features/engine once the CKD operations start, which they will sometime in 2015.

Its a great product, that dosent turn boring like the Q3 and has better feel unlike the utilitarian X1.

Mercedes gets brownie points from me.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks