Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2014, 15:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCARNI View Post
Would be interesting to see Zest numbers for October.
I'm interested in this info too. Should show a trend, if not the full picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCARNI View Post
IMHO, the initial euphoria is settling down and TATA is doing nothing to improve the visibility of the car in print/electronic media. This may be your last chance TATA, wake up! The facelifted swifts are certainly going to add to your can of woes!
I'm not sure about your papers, but there are full and half page ads in the TOI and Bangalore Mirror 2-3 days every week. Agreed that there aren't enough television commercials though.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 15:53   #62
BHPian

Re: September 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

I'm not sure about your papers, but there are full and half page ads in the TOI and Bangalore Mirror 2-3 days every week. Agreed that there aren't enough television commercials though.
Except for the zest key campaign, I haven't seen much visibility of zest in TOI, Pune or regional papers despite the fact that they are manufactured in Ranjangaon, Pune
CoolCarNi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 17:08   #63
i10
BHPian

The Honda numbers look low - what kind of constraints could they possibly have now?

Quote:
In the domestic market, Hyundai sold 38,010 units last month as compared to 36,002 units in October 2013, up 5.57 per cent.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/45003703.cms

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd November 2014 at 19:11. Reason: Back to back posts
i10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 17:39   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarNi View Post
Would be interesting to see Zest numbers for October.
Tata posts their sales figures,
Seems Zest numbers will be around the same as in September.

Quote:
Sales of the passenger cars in October 2014 were at 9,594 nos. The sales of utility vehicles were 1,917 nos. Sales of all Tata Motors passenger vehicles for October 2014 were at 11,511 nos
http://mediacentre.tatamotors.com/Pr...d=893&val=2014

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st November 2014 at 17:41.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 18:42   #65
RSR
Senior - BHPian

October 2014 : Manufacturer Sales Figures

These are the total domestic car sales in the month of October 2014 for some manufacturers (October 2013 numbers in parenthesis):

---------------------

Maruti Suzuki ↑ - 97,069 (96,062)

Hyundai ↑ - 38,010 (36,002)

Mahindra ↓ - 19,254 (22,924)

Honda ↑ - 13,242 (11,214)

Toyota ↓ - 12,556 (13,162)

Tata ↓ - 11,511 (14,133)

Ford ↓ - 6,723 (9,163)

Nissan* ↓ - 4,106 (4,880)

---------------------

* - Nissan's sales numbers include those of Datsun, as the split is not available for now.

↑ indicates an increase and ↓ indicates a decrease in sales, when compared to the figure for the same month in the previous year.

Sources: Compiled from various press releases & news reports

Last edited by RSR : 1st November 2014 at 18:51.
RSR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 22:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

These days Honda doesn't excite me at all. After seeing the so called 'value propositions' Amaze and Mobilio, I was really shocked. Even City - the Indian version - doesn't do it for me. They are losing their premium positioning. Wonder how Jazz would be!

In fact Hyundai has moved up the excitement factor, after the grand, Xcent and Elite and so has Tata after the mind blowing Zest. Thoroughly enjoyed all the test drives.

GM is a distant memory.

Maruti retains its top spot, though was disappointed seeing the lackluster Ciaz in flesh. Expected better.

Somewhat excited about the 'to be launched' Alto with AMT. Let's see what the future holds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
The Honda numbers look low - what kind of constraints could they possibly have now?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 22:48   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
I haven't seen one on road in a city like Delhi, though my daily running in quite limited.
I find it difficult to spot Zest since it looks exactly like Indica Vista. Just few inches boot gives the clue. Every time I see it, I am surprised how short the boot is.
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:34   #68
Senior - BHPian

In my view no matter how good the Zest/Bolt will be compared to competition, they aren't going to do great numbers anytime soon. Even the current numbers IMO are going to dip in due course. It takes a long time to build a reputation in a market like ours where buyers hold strong perceptions about brands. I have a Vista and its up for sale and I can see that the Vista is commanding nearly 75-100k less resale than a similar vintage Swift and even then buyers are difficult to find. Now how many new car buyers would want to risk such a situation no matter what the features are ? Not many in our market
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:41   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: October 2014 : Manufacturer Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
These are the total domestic car sales in the month of October 2014 for some manufacturers (October 2013 numbers in parenthesis)--
Addiding to your list is the YOY growth figures to give a clear picture of growth in the auto industry in the last one year.

The industry now expect overall sales this fiscal year to fall short of previous predictions.

September 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-cars.jpg

Source:ET
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:37   #70
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
In my view no matter how good the Zest/Bolt will be compared to competition, they aren't going to do great numbers anytime soon. Even the current numbers IMO are going to dip in due course. It takes a long time to build a reputation in a market like ours where buyers hold strong perceptions about brands. I have a Vista and its up for sale and I can see that the Vista is commanding nearly 75-100k less resale than a similar vintage Swift and even then buyers are difficult to find. Now how many new car buyers would want to risk such a situation no matter what the features are ? Not many in our market
I was able to sell my Oct 2008 Vista with 92K on odo for 2.7 in bangalore through quicker.
It was sold in three days fater posting ads with photos.
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I was able to sell my Oct 2008 Vista with 92K on odo for 2.7 in bangalore through quicker.
It was sold in three days fater posting ads with photos.
That is a good resale that you have got on the Vista considering that the odo was close to the lac level and also Tata cars are known for not having high resales. I assume it will be the Qjet here.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:38   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I agree. It'll take some time for Tata Motors to regain traction in the market. People will be looking for long-term reliability reports of the Zest, before they seriously look at Tata vehicles again. Also I feel that in metropolitan cities, brand names have assumed a lot of importance and Tata motors' street cred has eroded over the years. Sales of Zest (& Bolt in the near future) is expected from smaller cities where home-grown names like Tata & Mahindra still have some traction due to a widespread network of service centres and perceived image of relatively low cost of maintenance & spares, though reliability is another issue.

On the topic of resale value, Tata vehicles don't command prices as high as say Maruti vehicles. But do also consider the purchase price, which is generally lesser than the competition. In my case, I sold my 2006 Indigo TDI LS done 68k kms after 5 years (in 2011) for around 1.65 lakhs to a fellow BHPian only. But then I bought it for around Rs 5 lakhs only then. I believe, Swift Vdi was costing the same amount then. I wanted a diesel family sedan and got one for the price of a hatch.

On another note, a sedan for me needs to be distinguished from a hatchback, and Tata at that time offered independent rear suspension, till I think around 2008. Most of the sedans this side of Rs 15 lakhs nowadays have the same or a variation of the torsion beam setup found on hatchbacks.
jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:44   #73
Senior - BHPian

In the first month at least, Maruti has overtaken the legend, Honda City. Maruti has sold more than 6300 units in its first month & has received overall bookings of more than 17 K till date. Not at all a bad start for Maruti. Looks like tough time ahead for City & Vera

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/11/m...da-city-155031

Mods: I wrongly posted above post in other thread as well. Please delete the same.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed