Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 18:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: *Rumour* - GM likely to end Spark production

GM India has finally pulled the plug on production of it's entry-level hatchback, the Spark.

The Beat will now be GM India's entry-level offering.

Originally sold as the Daewoo Matiz, the Spark was revived for the global market back in 2007 under it's existing name, after GM took over Daewoo's operations. It received a major facelift in 2012, but it's Indian sales kept dwindling, specially in recent times when it didn't sell more than 150 units per month throughout last year.

*Rumour* - GM likely to end Spark production-chevroletsparkfaceliftfront.jpg

Quote:
With sales diminishing over the years, GM India has silently discontinued its entry level hatchback the Chevrolet Spark in the country.

The Spark that made its India debut during its second generation was on sale for 8 years now, but the more recent years saw sales diminishing dramatically compared to the competition.

Dealers too have confirmed that production for the Spark has been stopped and have already cleared their inventory or are in the process of doing so. For the previous month, 0 units of the hatchback moved out of showrooms.

GM India has no replacement planned for the Spark, making the Chevrolet Beat the American automaker’s entry-level model in the country.
Motorbeam
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 19:03   #17
BHPian

In some countries, the Beat is sold in the name of Spark. When there is no sales for the Matiz based Spark, it makes sense to stop the manufacturing and align the products with their international line of offerings.
Hope GM has some refreshed plans for India, and not just pull the plugs of the laggards one by one.
For a good sales, it first needs to revamp its sales & service network, with good marketing and an interesting line up of products. Otherwise, even the good products (such as Beat) will become laggards as the time passes by.
Old 10th August 2015, 19:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

What else you can expect from a company like GM India? They killed this wonderful product.

I have 2009 Chevy Spark LT variant which clocked 80K, and still going strong.

It has 60:40 split seat, boot cladding, sun glass holder, adjustable head rest (front& rear), rear washer and wiper, slow retracting grab handles, fog lamps, cigarette lighter, detachable ash tray, double reverse lights - Now a days many of these features are difficult to find in cars that costs double the amount I paid for Spark.
Attached Thumbnails
*Rumour* - GM likely to end Spark production-dsc06751.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 10th August 2015 at 19:44.
Latheesh is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 14:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
What else you can expect from a company like GM India? They killed this wonderful product.

I have 2009 Chevy Spark LT variant which clocked 80K, and still going strong.
I too had a 2008 model Spark LT, again with all of the features you mentioned except for the slow retracting grab handles - which were probably introduced later, or only available in the LT(O).

Very good value for money (under 4L in 2008), ran over 80k in the five years we had her, and gave no trouble whatsoever. The only troubles were what Chevrolet service provided, with their lack of service and dismal ethics. Once I found a tube of eye-liner in the tray below the music system of my car because obviously the SA or Engineer had taken his wife/girlfriend out for a spin in my car when she was supposedly being "serviced".

Chevrolet has good products, a poor brand name now, and only one halo vehicle (Cruze). They need to get their ads up, better their service standards, and continue with the integrated service offerings to build buyer confidence.

I also feel that if they had introduced the new Beat as a replacement of the Spark it would have fared better rather than creating competition between their own two vehicles. Chevy has always offered good value for money, so that's a plus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks