Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2014, 11:53   #211
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
So going by the trend, it is clearly evident that even the 3rd Gen Honda City in its first year had more issues per 100 cars than the 4th Gen Honda City.

The point is that Honda did learn from the complaints that were seen in 2009 and rectified them through the tenure of the 3rd Gen Honda City bringing the numbers down.

What says that Honda won't do it this time around with the 4th Gen Honda City?
Very valid point. In fact, I should have looked at more figures before coming to a conclusion. You are right- the figures are indeed worse for the third generation City in its initial year of launch.

However, few things to note-

The third generation was a revolution compared to the second generation. The design, engine, interiors all went in for a drastic makeover. Compared to that- Honda has played it safe with the 4th generation being a good evolution over the third- concentrating their efforts on the introduction of the diesel.

Glanced through our team BHP threads and it looks like the major complaint area for the 3rd generation City was the interiors and the ride. The shocks transferred major thuds to the cabin, while the poor noise insulation added audio effects to it. Owners also did not seem happy with the quality of interiors initially- the plastics, the music system etc. However, I don't see any major concern areas reported by any owners like parts falling off, mechanical issues etc. While the number of issues faced in the first year might have been similar to the 4th generation- the gravity of issues are not the same. (A limitation with the survey then?)

Doesn't look like the Amaze even made it to the top three lists this year. The last few pages of the team-BHP Amaze thread as well is filled with major issue discussions - hydrostatic engine lock, parts vibrating / falling off, premature brake fade, multiple members reporting severe back pain etc. Particularly disheartening is the case of a senior member who decided to sell off his car due to all the issues faced. This is not the Honda of 2009.

Not saying Honda won't recover this time around as well. Infact, that's exactly what is needed. As you can see with many examples- the biggest pain with Honda has been the company attitude of denying issues and redirecting owners back to the service centers for any issue. I had raised this in this thread as owners who raised issues regarding the Bluetooth (SV) and alternator belt issues had to be content with corporate mailers from Honda CRM. Same with Amaze owners as well who recently escalated for the issue for premature brake fade. Honda has to provide a proper channel for escalation of issues, and provide better turnaround time for customer satisfaction. Not only for future models- but existing owners as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 17:02   #212
BHPian

re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The shocks transferred major thuds to the cabin, while the poor noise insulation added audio effects to it. Owners also did not seem happy with the quality of interiors initially- the plastics, the music system etc.

I had raised this in this thread as owners who raised issues regarding the Bluetooth (SV) and alternator belt issues had to be content with corporate mailers from Honda CRM.
Yes, these are true. The shocks did transfer quite a bit of thuds to the cabin. But interestingly, this has reduced after my last trip from TVM to my native Cherthala. The car was fully loaded including boot so I increased the tyre pressure to 35 at the front and 33 at the rear. The recommended is 32 and 30 below 160 km/h by Honda. 35 and 33 are for speeds above 160 km/h. During the onward journey the thud sound appeared much lesser than before. What I guess, due to the full weight the suspension might have behaved in a different way absorbing the potholes in a much more relaxed way. But I'm no expert in this area, just a guess and this may not be correct. However, after this fully loaded journey the thud sound filtering into the cabin has considerably reduced even with me alone. I read in some forums that the stiffer suspensions will get softer by usage. Not sure on this theory as well.

Fully agree and really angry with Honda on the bluetooth issue on SV models. This is a shameful error by Honda. People spending more than 10 lakhs on a car and finding a bluetooth issue is simply not acceptable.

Alternator belt grinding sound is an issue but not a very serious one nevertheless needs to fix it. It is more of an irritating issue and if properly rectified by the service center, it is resolved.

The major problem here is not with 2014 model City. Even the previous generation City's had issues. Whoever, tells otherwise cannot be considered entirely honest. But, Honda had started a lot of new dealerships whose personnel are not properly trained. A perfect example is at least in my case is 'Perfect Honda', Trivandrum.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 31st December 2014 at 17:03.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 23:25   #213
BHPian

A new revelation, I think I found the solution for the poor high beam. In spite of changing the high beam to xtreme vision bulbs I found them to be ineffective and scattered. I made the impulsive decision to go for hid in the high beams, the fast start variety. And I was pleasantly surprised to see how effective the beam was. The beam is now centered and not scattered and high. I can see a lot of road and at great distance too. All in all 7.5k well spent.
fastraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 08:27   #214
BHPian

Have you installed the hid in projector?

If not then you are blinding the people which is bad.

What is the color temperature.?
mchanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 09:24   #215

I have a I Dtec - V. Done 12000 kms so far. There is a very audible rattle in the dashboard somewhere near the middle AC vents and also near the odometer (Never faced such a situation in my old city/ Innova or even the Figo). The door sensor also goes crazy over potholes and speed breaker. I sent the car to the dealer a few times and they act as if they cant hear a thing. What should I do ?
Old 29th January 2015, 10:21   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj View Post
A new revelation, I think I found the solution for the poor high beam. In spite of changing the high beam to xtreme vision bulbs I found them to be ineffective and scattered. I made the impulsive decision to go for hid in the high beams, the fast start variety. And I was pleasantly surprised to see how effective the beam was. The beam is now centered and not scattered and high. I can see a lot of road and at great distance too. All in all 7.5k well spent.
Isnt it illegal to use HID without projectors for high beam. It might give good visibility for you but its a nightmare for incoming traffic
Old 29th January 2015, 10:29   #217
BHPian

Common sense is to not use hid in low beam, but high beams blind traffic anyways and is not used regularly buy can be a life saver. On seeing oncoming traffic just dip. The colour temperature is 4300k. The biggest advantage I saw was the change in the beam pattern which is focused ,low,and more straight now. The earlier high beam was scattered and high up which actually blinded people more.
Old 10th February 2015, 13:23   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj View Post
On seeing oncoming traffic just dip.

On my visit to kerala last weekend, I saw a couple of 4th gen cars with projector setup with DRLs. Looks like the projector lamps have hit the accessories market.

Much better optics compared to reflectors. You should be able to utilise your HID bulbs better with projectors. And looks better too!
Old 16th February 2015, 18:08   #219
BHPian

The grinding/clicking sound as the clutch is released in any gear (except N) has shown up in my car after 3rd service / 49xx km running :( Are most folks living with it?
Old 18th February 2015, 00:22   #220
BHPian

Deepakv, I had this gear rattle in the third gear when the revs drop. This problem was persisting since I bought the car and mentioned it during the two services. But last week the problem was corrected during my third service . The gear synchronizer and sleeve got changed under warranty. So get your service mechanic to do some trial runs with u. All the best.
Old 20th March 2015, 22:43   #221
BHPian

Hey guys,
Need a bit of your help here. My friend's 2014 Honda City's front windshield just got cracked on it's own. How many of you have faced this issue? If yes then what is Honda's stand on it? Are they replacing it free of cost because I see no reason why the customer has to pay for a manufacturing defect.
Please guide us as to what should be done.
Thanks.
Old 21st March 2015, 03:03   #222
BANNED

Our city 2011Vmt windscreen exploded today at 11pm when a dumper truck tyre exploded .We were in a traffic jam after crossing Manesar toll plaza and heading home .The bonnet popped up and raised vy about 2inches .The internal rear view mirror fell off .The passenger side front and rear door panels popped out .There are two plastic parts on windscreen bottom on left and right corner which flew off to dont know where .the bumper at front is also broken at both ends where it meets the clearance lights.Inspite of all windows closed all three of us were deaf for quite sometime .It was frightnening . I am just shocked how a tyre burst made whole car ands its parts fly crumple .I am frightend to feel i have no safety in this Honda.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 21st March 2015 at 03:04.
Old 21st March 2015, 04:59   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Our city 2011Vmt windscreen exploded today at 11pm when a dumper truck tyre exploded .We were in a traffic jam after crossing Manesar toll plaza and heading home .The bonnet popped up and raised vy about 2inches .The internal rear view mirror fell off .The passenger side front and rear door panels popped out .There are two plastic parts on windscreen bottom on left and right corner which flew off to dont know where .the bumper at front is also broken at both ends where it meets the clearance lights.Inspite of all windows closed all three of us were deaf for quite sometime .It was frightnening . I am just shocked how a tyre burst made whole car ands its parts fly crumple .I am frightend to feel i have no safety in this Honda.
I think the result would have been the same in any car. Truck tire blowouts are no small matter. Force from the blowout is enough to kill a person standing next to it.

Does any somebody here have any thoughts about this ??
Old 21st March 2015, 13:42   #224
BANNED

Got the winshield replaced with Pilkington at Inr4500/.Apparantely the bonnet elbows on left and right are badly damaged ,the frame on downside of bonnet has come off at various places ,the grill which houses the wipers is broken too so will need Honda visit soon to sort out the issues .
Old 21st March 2015, 13:54   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Got the winshield replaced with Pilkington at Inr4500/.Apparantely the bonnet elbows on left and right are badly damaged ,the frame on downside of bonnet has come off at various places ,the grill which houses the wipers is broken too so will need Honda visit soon to sort out the issues .
Please try to post a few pictures so that we can see the extent of damage caused by the bursting tire. Reading about the damage, it must have been quite frightening to be in such a situation.

Edit: You got the windshield replaced quite cheaply I guess. Make sure it is a laminated windshield, not tempered glass. Does that include the labor charges as well or just the cost of the windshield? If I remember correctly, the windshield of my Zen cost me about 5500/- at MASS. I was guessing your damage to be around the 8K mark for it.

Last edited by saket77 : 21st March 2015 at 13:57.

Most Viewed