Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2016, 21:49   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
3rd monsoon since we got the City. 3rd consecutive monsoon for water collection in the vehicle.
I am fed up.
Quote:
The water collection has always been at the rear passenger footwell, primarily right side more than left. So it is unlikely to be AC related, or even airbag or windshield related. Since 2014 they have changed speakers & sealant, in-door plastic sheet & sealant, door beading etc etc. Nothing has worked.
I had the exact same problem in my previous car (not a Honda). Water would collect on the left rear passenger footwell.
It would happen during monsoon and I had a hard time figuring out from where the water was coming from, even the SA had no clue.

After a determined effort to get over this terrible problem, I figured out that there was a small (really miniscule) gap between the outer rear window glass and the rubber beading on the window sill. The water would fall on the rear window glass, seep through the gap in the beading, down into the door and would seep into the footwell from the bottom. I got the rear door outer panel adjusted(pressed in) at the authorized service (they didn't charge anything) to make the rubber press snug against the glass and the seepage problem never happened again.

It could be a similar problem in your case.

In my earlier cars, I had observed on other occasions that water did seep into the passenger footwell whenever the car was parked in rain on a slope with one side of the car at a higher level.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 4th July 2016 at 21:51.
Old 15th July 2016, 07:45   #332

re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Hi ,

For the past few days I have been noticing a problem with the roof of my AHNC. The roof padding comes out near the sunroof sometimes ( mostly on bumps ) and if I push it , it again sticks to the roof of the car, I think it is using a magnetic mount or something. Has anyone else faced a similar problem.

This problem had started before 1st servicing and the Whitefield Honda guys "fixed" it. Since then it was OFF and ON and now it become worse because it adds to the rattling I think.

Thanks,
Namit
Old 1st August 2016, 12:50   #333
BHPian

Quote:
3rd monsoon since we got the City. 3rd consecutive monsoon for water collection in the vehicle.
I am fed up.
Request folks with experience handling carmaker-consumer disputes to kindly PM me with tips or first hand experience. This is going to get ugly.
Similar issue with my 2014 Honda city VX i-Dtec. I got this fixed at the service centre. They made a hole in the rubber hose which throws the water out. The problem has come down however I still see droplets of water on the bottom side of the mat. This maybe due to the fact that the carpet might be wet. I have visited the Honda workshop 3 times in the last 3 weeks.

Another problem. I have installed Hertz component speakers in my car . Now these speakers are substantially broader than the stock speakers.

Result - The water touches the speakers. This is on the right side of the door only ironically. The Honda people have no answer to this. I guess will have to set a slimmer ring around my speaker to ensure that the water does not enter the speaker.

Anyone on a similar page as me ?
Alive2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 22:04   #334
BHPian

Hi,

This thread is very frightening. I too have some issues with my car.
  • Every time I go over bumpy roads,I hear a quirky sound from the dash board. Got this to the service centers notice and they said that this has been fixed and was because of poor screw fitting. It was fine for a couple of days and then started again. Just living with the irritating noise.
  • Every time I go over bumpy roads,the door panels vibrate.They also vibrate when the door is shut and is not the same solid shut like how it used to be when the car was new.
  • There is a delay in response from the driver side window controls. A lag of around 2 seconds before the windows roll up or down.
  • A couple of days back, the "HONDA" badge from the boot lid fell off and I do not know where and how.Need to get a new one.
Old 19th September 2016, 10:40   #335
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Definitely not the Honda I've owned (three times before). All of them were flawless in terms of quality & reliability.

Now, a brand new Jazz with water leakage - link.

Hyundai is the new Honda. Honda has moved down to Suzuki levels (actually, even Marutis don't have these kind of niggles).
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 20:42   #336
Senior - BHPian

With all these continued niggles and issues with the present gen Honda Cars, here a thought that came in my mind -

Tip#1 - Don't sell/trade in your 3rd Gen City / Previous Gen Jazz for the present gen variants of these cars!
Old 19th September 2016, 20:57   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Definitely not the Honda I've owned (three times before). All of them were flawless in terms of quality & reliability.

Now, a brand new Jazz with water leakage - link.
Hi GTO, I would not jump the gun on the Jazz until we have the real issue identified in this case. Also, unlike the City niggles, I dont think Jazz has any specific niggles reported across customers. I have not been following the Jazz thread off late - so, please correct me if I am wrong.

Going by the conversation below from the Jazz official review thread, the issue could be due to ill-fit rear parking sensors. If that is the cause for this issue, Honda is not to be blamed - but the dealer is to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
By any chance do you have an after market Parking sensor installed. I had this exact same thing happen in my 2010 Honda city and it was a result of badly fitted parking sensor. It was very easily and quickly fixed by Honda and thereafter I have had no water come in the past 6 years. Its also a coincidence that I had fitted the parking sensor from Poona Motors at MG road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Spot on Manish !!!
Yes dealer gave me parking sensor as a freebie...my car is with dealer at the moment. I will call the SA and tell him to check from this angle.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 21:52   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Hi GTO, I would not jump the gun on the Jazz until we have the real issue identified in this case. Also, unlike the City niggles, I dont think Jazz has any specific niggles reported across customers. I have not been following the Jazz thread off late - so, please correct me if I am wrong.

Going by the conversation below from the Jazz official review thread, the issue could be due to ill-fit rear parking sensors. If that is the cause for this issue, Honda is not to be blamed - but the dealer is to be.
It's the same car, the City and the Jazz! With the City, we have seen that the problems emerge in wholesale after 18-24 months, ie, after the initial honeymoon period. This was never the case with the good old Hondas we had before. Which is also why it is only a matter of time before reports of niggles with the Jazz start trickling in.
Old 20th September 2016, 01:39   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It's the same car, the City and the Jazz! With the City, we have seen that the problems emerge in wholesale after 18-24 months, ie, after the initial honeymoon period. This was never the case with the good old Hondas we had before. Which is also why it is only a matter of time before reports of niggles with the Jazz start trickling in.
Not really my friend. City and Jazz are based on the same platform but that does not mean it is the same car and that does not mean both will have same / similar problems either.

Let us talk facts - if Jazz has issues, we will all see that, accept that and move on. But let us not assume that since City had issues, Jazz will also have. Moreover, a lot of City's problems / niggles came to the fore right in the beginning. By the time frame of 18-24 months, some of the issues were actually ironed out. That is what I remember. I may be wrong and you are welcome to correct me.
Old 20th September 2016, 05:03   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not really my friend. City and Jazz are based on the same platform but that does not mean it is the same car and that does not mean both will have same / similar problems either.

Let us talk facts - if Jazz has issues, we will all see that, accept that and move on. But let us not assume that since City had issues, Jazz will also have. Moreover, a lot of City's problems / niggles came to the fore right in the beginning. By the time frame of 18-24 months, some of the issues were actually ironed out. That is what I remember. I may be wrong and you are welcome to correct me.
Actually, the two cars are mechanically identical in almost every way except for the petrol engine, 1.2 vs 1.5 (again, same family) and a few small things here and there. It's pretty much a Swift/DZire kind of deal and even the cabin and dash resemble closely enough. The amount of part sharing is massive. As for my take on the niggles, it is as per my own ownership experience over almost 60k km. Car runs fine for the first year, year and half. Buy after that, things start getting bad rather quickly. I also make a direct comparison with my previous gen Jazz which is closing in on six figures on the odo and runs pretty much like new.

The life I got out of things like brakes, suspensions and clutch are half what I had with the Jazz under identical usage. I am still paying EMI for a car which rattles and makes all kinds of funny noises and whose driver seat has sagged and gives me back ache. Unacceptable.

I am in 100% agreement with GTO and others. These new Hondas are an insult to whatever brand Honda used to stand for. They are just dressed up Marutis you are paying a premium for. Newer Marutis might actually be better.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 20th September 2016 at 05:04.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 09:23   #341
BHPian

The Honda city quoted by Vigkey above belongs to me and is actually a previous generation one. Its a Generation 3 Honda city manufactured in Nov2009 that I had purchased in Jan 2010. The only issue I have had with the car in the past 6 years ( almost 7 in some time ) was the water issue that I have described. Abhaybakshis problem may or may not be same.

I would agree that the current generation Hondas are not that good. We have a previous generation Jazz also in family and the new one just felt flimsy in comparison when I did a trial earlier this year.

Flimsy - Astounding Yes! . Niggles - I do not know . My common sense says that Honda may have ironed out many of the Generation 4 City issues in the Generation 2 Honda Jazz that is sold here. Whether its as Reliable as the earlier ones we will know in about a year or two based on ownership experience.
Old 20th September 2016, 10:25   #342
BHPian

Quote:
As for my take on the niggles, it is as per my own ownership experience over almost 60k km. Car runs fine for the first year, year and half. Buy after that, things start getting bad rather quickly. I also make a direct comparison with my previous gen Jazz which is closing in on six figures on the odo and runs pretty much like new.

The life I got out of things like brakes, suspensions and clutch are half what I had with the Jazz under identical usage. I am still paying EMI for a car which rattles and makes all kinds of funny noises and whose driver seat has sagged and gives me back ache. Unacceptable.
Dear friend, I can really understand your pain of having paid for and owning a car that has a lot of niggles and that was not well built. It is very unfortunate that you are not alone and a lot of 4th gen City owners are in the same boat as you. By the way, niggles after year or year and a half is your case. If you see this thread, it was started in Oct 2014 - i.e. 10 months after the car was launched. By the first 10 months, the reliability and build quality of the City had become a joke that this thread had started. Many owners faced the headlamp fogging, beading falling off, water in foot-well, etc in the first few months itself. So, it is not exactly about the honeymoon period. Dear friend RavenAvi had sold it off in 1.5 years due to the frequency of issues.

So, no denying that fact that 4th gen City was badly built. Also, no denying the fact that the new Jazz is probably not as solid as the older gen Jazz.

But, my point is different. I was talking about one specific case which was quoted in this thread. When I checked the Jazz thread, there was a progress in the conversation and OP abhaybakshi had admitted that the dealer had installed rear parking sensors. We also need to note that manishkapadia had faced the exact same issue in his 3rd gen City and the culprit was the ill fit parking sensor.

We need to wait for OP to confirm if the water logged in his boot was due to the sensors or something else. I just wanted the discussion to be on hold till we know the exact reason than blame Honda and Jazz for the issue.

Quote:
Actually, the two cars are mechanically identical in almost every way except for the petrol engine, 1.2 vs 1.5 (again, same family) and a few small things here and there. It's pretty much a Swift/DZire kind of deal and even the cabin and dash resemble closely enough. The amount of part sharing is massive.
At the risk of repeating my self and going We need to realize something City is NOT a Jazz with boot attached or Jazz is not a City with boot chopped off. So - it is not a Brio -> Amaze or Swift -> Dzire where EVERYTHING is the same except the boot.

I very well understand the design language has similarities, there is a LOT of parts sharing. But everything from the length of the bonnet to the wheelbase is different. I am sure there will be a lot of structural difference under the skin.

Even if we go by the assumption that both are the same cars, how can we conclude that Jazz will also have similar issues like the initial City. Wouldnt Honda have done corrective measures? Let us give some time for the cause of the issue to get identified before we shoot down Honda.

Quote:
I am in 100% agreement with GTO and others. These new Hondas are an insult to whatever brand Honda used to stand for. They are just dressed up Marutis you are paying a premium for. Newer Marutis might actually be better.
I too agree with that. That is the ONLY reason why I did not go for my first love - Honda Jazz. An in fact went for a newer Maruti - the S-Cross
Vigkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 22:09   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Wouldnt Honda have done corrective measures?
On this point, I would like to point out that I bought a city ivtec towards end of Nov 2015 and lot of issues that are pointed out on this thread haven't been experienced by me. I have covered almost 7000 kms till date and it was used regularly except when the city was almost idle for 1.5 to 2 months as I was away.
So I definitely think Honda is acting on feedback and the newer versions of the city are better built and morr niggle free.
But this is just my opinion. I have been happy so far with the car and I hope I remain so.

P.S. We are almost done with 1st monsoon and I didn't have the sunroof leak niggle which was experienced by some folks
Shashankjk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 23:21   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
On this point, I would like to point out that I bought a city ivtec towards end of Nov 2015 and lot of issues that are pointed out on this thread haven't been experienced by me. I have covered almost 7000 kms till date and it was used regularly except when the city was almost idle for 1.5 to 2 months as I was away.
So I definitely think Honda is acting on feedback and the newer versions of the city are better built and morr niggle free.
But this is just my opinion. I have been happy so far with the car and I hope I remain so.

P.S. We are almost done with 1st monsoon and I didn't have the sunroof leak niggle which was experienced by some folks
My friend, your car is new. I don't want to jinx it for you.

In my case, the car ran fine for initial year and half. It was only around the 30k km mark that the decay started . I sincerely hope your ownership experience will be better than mine.
Old 20th September 2016, 23:28   #345
BHPian

Quote:
My friend, your car is new. I don't want to jinx it for you.

In my case, the car ran fine for initial year and half. It was only around the 30k km mark that the decay started . I sincerely hope your ownership experience will be better than mine.
Oh I see...30k. Long way to go. I will be sure to watch out for anything. Considering my running it will take almost 2+ years.Long way to go. If few things do require maintenance after such a long time, I guess I would take that but time will tell. Fingers crossed:rolleyes:

Most Viewed