Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2016, 00:45   #346
BHPian

re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed_Munazzir View Post
  • Every time I go over bumpy roads,I hear a quirky sound from the dash board. Got this to the service centers notice and they said that this has been fixed and was because of poor screw fitting. It was fine for a couple of days and then started again. Just living with the irritating noise.
  • There is a delay in response from the driver side window controls. A lag of around 2 seconds before the windows roll up or down.
I share a couple of your issues and here are my thoughts on them:
1. I have increased the volume couple of points. Believe me, the noise went in such a way that the service center also couldn't!
2. No solution - living with it. Service center claims I'm the first to complain on these lines. I decided to ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Newer Marutis might actually be better.
At least the S-Cross is for sure. Just read that thread and see how folks are in awe of the build etc. I'm probably gonna head back to Maruti whenever i sell my City.
Old 21st September 2016, 08:40   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hyundai is the new Honda. Honda has moved down to Suzuki levels (actually, even Marutis don't have these kind of niggles).
Yes, in fact I bet if Hyundai had exactly all of these problems mentioned in this thread the public would've absolutely tore it to shreds and it would've gone the Skoda path in terms of sales. Honda still manages to stay afloat and perhaps even improve sales thanks to its now-quickly-declining brand name. Even a CNET review of the Honda Fit (Jazz) in U.S pulled it up for their cheeky Soviet-Era spot-welding of panels which are clearly visible.

What puzzles me is why would they do it? Even the previous-gen City was good with its arrow-head design and very clean and balanced dashboard. I drove the current-gen City of a colleague's, it was creaking and rattling whenever it was going over undulations or through turns (26k kms odd), to me it was obvious as day but he didn't seem to mind it at all (first time buyer) and I bet that's why we don't have half of them reporting such issues.

What a long way they have fallen, from the first time I went to check out the Jazz in a showroom long back and being ignored (YES!) and then when asked about they City the sales guy in a business suit almost sarcastically smiled and said "we don't have it now, I'll bring it to your house" and then went away without asking for any contact details. It was a time when they were still selling the Accord and Civic.. today the mighty have fallen and that day was enough for me to keep off the brand forever.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 21:07   #348
Team-BHP Support

Quality issues faced by a Honda BR-V customer (unedited) -

Quote:
My more than three month's Driving Experience is very bad. Lot of Quality Issues:

Model Name Honda BRV S Diesel
VIN: MAKDG277EG4000100
Engine No: N15A11701126
Odometer till 19th Sept 2016: 5061 KM

Purchased BRV on 21st May 2016 and lodge complain on 26th May 2016 about noise from co-driver side door and pillar side, Back side Tail gate door noise, back seat noise and Back side tail gate rear Mirror rubber strip sucks automatically. Visited Paras Honda more than 20 times from last three months but till date not satisfied and complains are not rectified from any one in Honda service centre.

(1)Noise heard from co-driver side area while driving
(2) Lock noise heard from left co- driver and centre row right door
(3) Noise heard from Tool Kit area while driving
(4) Rear Boot Door level difference from car body, not aligned, so unequal gap is visible on both left & right side and have noise
(5) Steering Colom cover is not aligned
(6) Noise heard as if rear number plate is loose
(7) Steering Wheel Noisy above 120 KMP speed.
(7) if you service your car from Paras Honda your cars mileage drop immediately why no answer.
(8) Best part is that, they use double tape to reduce noise in car. After 04 – 05 days again noise increased. Company don’t have permanent solution for noise reduction.
Paras Honda Jodhpur people only know how to sell accessories and create bills for extra things. They don’t know how to fix problems.

Twice complain on Honda call centre but not satisfied. My suggestion is not to purchase HONDA BRV. Hope complain will reach to higher authorities for quality issues.
http://gaadiwaadi.com/honda-brv-revi...wbacks-132042/
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 22:44   #349
BHPian

Full marks to Crazy Driver for the exhaustive review of articles revolving around the niggles in the 4th gen Honda City!

Well thought I had to lend in my 2 paise to this thread since we have the 2007 Honda Civic 1.8 SAT and 2011 3rd Generation 1.5 VMT Honda City in our garage.

The Civic has run around 1.4 lakh km. In the 9 years of ownership, we did face battery issues and engine mount issues. We do have to replace a number of stuff due to wear and tear, and do get a bit uncomfortable when parts are replaced, because the spare parts are a little expensive to digest. Another issue was the ground clearance, which was the biggest problem we had to encounter. However putting aside these issues, I do feel that it was reasonably well put together and I definitely hand it to Honda for giving a sense of premium and luxury with regards to the materials in the interior and exterior. They did hold up to the long kms racked up with the car. There were no serious build quality issues encountered with the car.

I had exclusive access to the City in my garage, and frequently drove it to college, which happened to be around 30 km from my house (This resulted in around a 60 km round trip). So as of this point it has got around 70k kms on the clock. Yes I should have gone for a diesel, but the ownership experience with the Civic was a huge factor that cemented the decision to go for the City! The interiors was nothing to write home about. My friends frequently lamented about the quality of the interiors as compared to other cars like the Vento and not to forget, the Civic itself. But by god, that engine was enough to put aside those complaints and really put a smile to my face! Never really faced any issues other than the ground clearance. Oh and I would like to be classified as a really enthusiastic driver! So though I really made it a point to follow up the service schedules, I wasn't really light-footed when it came to the accelerator pedal.

When the new City came out, I had a really unsatiable urge to move to the new City. The same friends who lamented about my City, went ahead to buy the new 4th generation City! However the SAs at my Honda service centre literally told me not to go for the new City and also said that these cars are going to get a lot of issues

All in all, though I have cars from the Honda stable from different segments, the timeline does show the deterioration in the build quality of Hondas down the years. Meanwhile I am pleasantly surprised that the 'slanted H' have belting out cars with appreciable build quality!
Old 7th October 2016, 00:29   #350
BANNED

Admins, isn't the title of this thread wrong? The second part should be as following based on the points supplied by the thread starter:
'... Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?'

Last edited by romeomidhun : 7th October 2016 at 00:31.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 23:28   #351

Re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Firstly let me acknowledge the author for the awesome compilation of all the niggles faced by owners of 4th generation Honda City (myself included). Painstaking, may I say.
A brief summary of my experience :-

This was the second Honda in our family, Civic being the first one and the brand seemed to be associated with longevity, durability and reliability. I carried this notion when I purchased a Honda City i-dtec VX. From the very beginning , the faint rattles, squeaks, inconsistent panel gaps, shoddy paint work and above all leakage made me wonder whether I had taken the right plunge. It was however not beyond the realm of possibility that this was a one off case. My fears were not unfounded as my friend who purchased City just after a month reported similar issues. I desperately tried to seek all assistance possible including self help by reading various forums. The leakage problem in particular seemed to get worse every time I threw a solution at it. At one point, there was a small puddle on the front passenger side floor. Either in dismay or out of sheer frustration, I disposed the vehicle and brand Honda just went a notch lower in my humble perception.
Sharat83 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 13:53   #352
BHPian

Re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Hello fellow City owners. I am a proud owner of the City VX CVT. I love the car except for one recurring niggle which no service centre has been able to remove. Every time I drive the car, a weird crackling sound comes from the roof of the car, near the sunroof area. When I press the material covering the roof around the area, the sound stops. I know that the roof may be loosening a bit, but why isn't the ASC able to stop it permanently. Is it something else which is causing the problem? Please help.

Thank you.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:55   #353
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Never thought I would have to post on this topic but here I am. My dad’s 14 month old Honda City VX CVT experience battery failure (two times in a day) yesterday. My dad took the car in the morning and it was running fine till about 1pm when it refused to start. He called up the Honda Help line and the technician reached in an hour. He said that the battery had died down and charged the battery (I think this process is called ‘jump start’). Then the car ran fine till the evening when it again refused to start. Again the technician was called and he said the battery was the issue. He charged the battery again and we managed to get the car into our building parking spot.

The technician told us that car batteries have a warranty of just 1 year and we will have to pay for a new battery (as the car completed a year two months back). Is it ok for a battery to go kaput in such a short time or should I be worried? The natural remedy of this situation is to buy a new battery (my dad will be going to the service center today). I will update you guys on the progress – anything else I should be checking while buying a new battery?
Old 24th October 2016, 12:18   #354
Senior - BHPian

Check if any of the Electricals are consuming power from Battery.

The battery should last more then the Warranty period, I think some accessory or an electrical component is the culprit here. Have never faced such issue in our City & other cars.

Did the car start in the 1st Attempt ?
Did the Battery check light Blinked or was it on when driving ?
Was the car not used for prolonged period ?
Moisture could be also an issue for Battery going kaput.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 19:04   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Never thought I would have to post on this topic but here I am. My dad’s 14 month old Honda City VX CVT experience battery failure (two times in a day) yesterday. My dad took the car in the morning and it was running fine till about 1pm when it refused to start. He called up the Honda Help line and the technician reached in an hour. He said that the battery had died down and charged the battery (I think this process is called ‘jump start’). Then the car ran fine till the evening when it again refused to start. Again the technician was called and he said the battery was the issue. He charged the battery again and we managed to get the car into our building parking spot.

The technician told us that car batteries have a warranty of just 1 year and we will have to pay for a new battery (as the car completed a year two months back). Is it ok for a battery to go kaput in such a short time or should I be worried? The natural remedy of this situation is to buy a new battery (my dad will be going to the service center today). I will update you guys on the progress – anything else I should be checking while buying a new battery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

The battery should last more then the Warranty period, I think some accessory or an electrical component is the culprit here. Have never faced such issue in our City & other cars.

Did the car start in the 1st Attempt ?
Did the Battery check light Blinked or was it on when driving ?
Saanil, with CarguyNish. Car battery should not fail in 14 months. With normal usage the car battery easily lasts 2-3 years. For cars with heavy usage it can last even longer. Was your Dad's car idle for prolonged periods of time? Only that could drain the battery, but even after running for few kms, it should get recharged and hold the current.

Another point to check is the alternator and the charging system. Get this checked thoroughly. If it is not charging the battery properly the Battery check light on the instrument cluster should light up.
Old 24th October 2016, 21:33   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Was your Dad's car idle for prolonged periods of time? Only that could drain the battery, but even after running for few kms, it should get recharged and hold the current.
Thanks Guys! The battery has been changed today at the cost of Rs3.8k. We have not put any accessories in the car. There was a 7 day stretch where the car was not used at all. But I doubt if 7 days is a long period.
Old 24th October 2016, 22:24   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Thanks Guys! The battery has been changed today at the cost of Rs3.8k. We have not put any accessories in the car. There was a 7 day stretch where the car was not used at all. But I doubt if 7 days is a long period.
You are right. 7 days are not much. During March this year my TUV was idle at a stretch for 2 weeks (while I was traveling overseas). When I returned back the car started at first crank. When I was owning the Indica V2, it was left idle at a stretch for 5 weeks, but that time I had disconnected the positive terminal of the battery and as expected the car started at the first crank when I returned (note car was 5 years old and on second battery).

Going forward you too can practice this simple procedure when the car is going to remain idle for 2 or more weeks. Remove the positive (red colored) connector from the battery terminal and you should be good.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st October 2016 at 09:26.
Old 25th October 2016, 09:10   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
Hello fellow City owners. I am a proud owner of the City VX CVT. I love the car except for one recurring niggle which no service centre has been able to remove. Every time I drive the car, a weird crackling sound comes from the roof of the car, near the sunroof area. When I press the material covering the roof around the area, the sound stops. I know that the roof may be loosening a bit, but why isn't the ASC able to stop it permanently. Is it something else which is causing the problem? Please help.
Thank you.
I had similar issue with my City way back in 2011. Visited Honda ASS three times to solve that issue.
There are few pieces of thermocol, adjoining the roof liner and metal. They tends to come loose due to poor adhesive. In my case, first noise was from the area where roof liner meets front wind shield. My ASS was aware of this problem and solved it. They removed the roof liner, glued back the termocol pieces. In future, you may get this irritating noise close to door frames also.
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 12:08   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
I had similar issue with my City way back in 2011. Visited Honda ASS three times to solve that issue.
There are few pieces of thermocol, adjoining the roof liner and metal. They tends to come loose due to poor adhesive. In my case, first noise was from the area where roof liner meets front wind shield. My ASS was aware of this problem and solved it. They removed the roof liner, glued back the termocol pieces. In future, you may get this irritating noise close to door frames also.
Thank you Sail. Will get the roof checked out at the ASS. Cheers!
Stratosphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 12:28   #360
BHPian

I've been reading some of the seemingly condescending comparisons of Honda City with with Maruti (as in, even a Maruti doesnt have these kind of issues).

I own a 1.6 liter Maruti Suzuki SX4 Vxi (petrol, MT) for past 5 years. And no major issues till date. The only issue that started 6 mths ago, was a squealing noise, that got fixed with alternator belt replacement.

I was considering upgrading my car early next year once my loan finishes. My must-have features being cruise control and higher power and torque figures (preferably at low RPM) than what my SX4 has.

I considered the City V option, but am not sure if it can be called an "upgrade" from SX4. I test drove the City VX petrol, MT variant from the dealer last week, and here was my feedback:
- The City (TD vehicle has 10K kms on odo) is noisier and unrefined compared to my SX4 (has nearly 40K kms on odo).
- The NVH runs up to the gear in the City. I could feel my hand vibrate as I held the City gear knob, whereas the SX4 has no such problem.
- The ride and suspension of the SX4 is better than the City

I still loved the City for all it offered. It comes closest to what I need to upgrade to. If only it had a bigger engine (a 1.6 liter) and some better bonnet insulation, that probably would have translated to a better NVH, and it would have been a no-brainer for me to go for it.

But now with all the NVH, and the so many niggles discussed in this thread in a barely 1 year old City, it has me thinking again.

And I dread to imagine how bad the City diesel would be, from what I hear its much worse than the petrol in NVH!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks