Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2016, 13:15   #361
JD1
BHPian

Re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Looks like Honda niggles problem is not specific to India but could be corporate wide cultural shift on QC.
Consumer Reports has pulled its recommendation for the Honda Civic in US after owners reported many reliability issues. Problems on the redesigned Civic ranged from electronics failures to entire dashboard consoles needing replacement—as reasons for withdrawing its coveted stamp of approval for the second time in five years.
Read full article here-
http://www.wsj.com/articles/consumer...ity-1477331492
(in case you are asked to sign-in to read the article, just google it and click that link and you should be able to get the full article without sign-in)
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 12:15   #362
BHPian

Re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
Hello fellow City owners. I am a proud owner of the City VX CVT. I love the car except for one recurring niggle which no service centre has been able to remove. Every time I drive the car, a weird crackling sound comes from the roof of the car, near the sunroof area. When I press the material covering the roof around the area, the sound stops. I know that the roof may be loosening a bit, but why isn't the ASC able to stop it permanently. Is it something else which is causing the problem? Please help.

Thank you.
I had the same issue and it is fixable. This was fixed at Peninsular Honda, Trivandrum.
Old 20th December 2016, 07:43   #363
BHPian

Looks like i am facing similar issues reported on the thread. The car makes an irritating noise around the glovebox area when going over rough patches. Got it fixed twice at the service centre. It stays fine for a few days and history repeats. Another issues is that the rear door beeding keeps coming off. The bottom right corner of the driver's door looks misaligned with reference to the front fender. The inconsistent panel gaps are an eyesore. Now the brake pedal starts to vibrate when depressed at highway speeds. My father's Honda Civic feels better put together inspite of running 2,47,000+ kilometers. Forget about the Civic, even the 3rd gen City in our family feels a lot better. You have lost a customer Honda.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 11:29   #364
BHPian

Got my VX-MT (Petrol) in Feb - 2016 and have racked up around 4,850 KMs on the ODO, till date. I was quite surprised by rattles and minor niggles popping up in a car which has run so little. Summarized my issues in the list below.
  • Horn needs to be replaced. It sounds as if someone is choking it!
  • There is a metallic rattle from somewhere under the driver seat. This is mostly noticeable on rough roads and doesn't seem to happen all the time.
  • There is a very evident rattle coming from somewhere around the rightmost AC vent on the dashboard. It happens every time the car moves, so must be something that has come loose.
  • The RHS wing mirror (electric fold type) takes a couple of seconds longer to close/open than the mirror on the LHS. (This isn't really an issue, but just my OCD kicking in I guess. )
Apart from these issues, the car is a joy to drive. The engine is thankfully flawless, as they have always been from Honda. I really hope Honda manage to correct the faults which have been pointed out by so many 4th-gen City owners', in the upcoming facelift.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 11:45   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
[*]The RHS wing mirror (electric fold type) takes a couple of seconds longer to close/open than the mirror on the LHS. (This isn't really an issue, but just my OCD kicking in I guess. )
I believe this is normal. I observed similar behaviour in my Grand I10 and had complained during service. Service manager showed the same behaviour in couple of Grand I10s and assured me it's normal
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 19:11   #366
Senior - BHPian

The new gen city,Brio, Amaze and the mobilio are all built to a cost and the only way Honda seems to have found is to cut a few corners in quality checks or the scale down the quality levels of certain parts. The earlier city was a good all rounder and didn't seem to have such niggles( or at least weren't reporter in this scale ). My friend picked up this current gen city recently and a major part in his engine was replaced under warranty! He is frustrated with the quality levels so much so that he has leaned towards a Polo as his 2nd car, a far cry from his usual choices of Japanese and Korean cars.

My wife drives a Brio and even small stones getting hit on the body make very small dents. Somewhere the quality levels have taken a big dip in these new gen hondas. The only saving grace are the petrol engines which are still amongst the best around.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 17:13   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
True, Honda City has a huge fan following right from 1st gen to current gen and this will continue in future as well.

But in the current generation model, the kind of issues that are faced by the owners of the car,Honda seriously need to look into where is the root cause of this drop in reliability factor of the Honda City.

Yesterday I took my 3rd gen City for the service and was talking with main SA about both cars. The SA told that with reduction in prices, increase in localisation, and switching to inferior parts vendors are the root causes of the problems being faced by the current gen owners. Even the build quality is on downer side, he shown me a current gen City and we got to see the body is not as strong as it was in previous gen models.

Though City is still the C-segment champion, Honda needs to fix all these issue with the next gen City that should be out in mid 2018 and with 2016 knocking doors - two years is not much great time as well.

Hopefully Honda will make sure the premiumness and reliability of City will remain at par just like the previous models.
Local vendors are not be blamed for the reduction in build quality of the latest Gen Honda City. Vendors supply parts as per Honda Drawing.

HCIL is wholly to be blamed for the quality issues.
Hence would request esteemed members not to use derogatory remarks about Indian Component Supplies.
vijit.gangwar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 10:39   #368
BHPian

I hate to be posting here again! This is with regards to my father's VX-CVT Honda City. Since the past two days, there was a 'thud thud' sound while pressing the brakes. My dad gave the car to the service center and the brakes pads were changed. Total bill came in at Rs 4.5k

Question - I understand that wear and tear for brakes in Automatic cars might be more (mostly driven in Mumbai city) but is it normal for them to be replaced with the car being driven for just 18k kms (in 1.5 years)?

The thing is that I like the car but these small things and repairs just makes your experience far from perfect.
Old 28th December 2016, 11:05   #369
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Question - I understand that wear and tear for brakes in Automatic cars might be more (mostly driven in Mumbai city) but is it normal for them to be replaced with the car being driven for just 18k kms (in 1.5 years) ?
Did you check the old pads, were they returned to you ?

There are indicators on the brake pads which let you know if they need replacement or not, 18000 kms seems too early for a change of pads in a Honda City.

Also you mentioned a 'thud thud' sound while braking, if I am not wrong, worn brake pads will rather give you a screaching/grinding sound.

Last edited by OSH : 28th December 2016 at 11:08.
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:53   #370
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on the 2017 Honda City ?
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:26   #371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Any updates on the 2017 Honda City ?
I wrote the below complaint in my opening post of this thread. Extremely glad to note that most of the important features are now at par with the South East markets, even though the variants come at a premium.

Credit where it's due. Well done Honda.

We now get stuff like -
- 6 airbags
- LED headlamps
- 7 years extended warranty (anytime warranty)
- 185 section tyres on top variant
- 16 inch alloys
- Digipad touchscreen audio

Quote:
Discrimation w.r.t features compared to international variant.

Malaysian variant of the City gets:
5 year unlimited kilometers standard warranty. (As against our 2 years 40k kms).
185 section 16' tyres on top variant (Our 175 section tyres were main source of complaint for owners since many dealers claim warranty loss once upgraded).
16' alloys with appealing design. (Indian variant had rather bland alloys).
7' touchscreen audio (We get 5' display and not touch screen)
Tilt and telescopic steering wheel (We get tilt only).
Auto retract mirrors (We get electric fold without auto retract).
Fully foldable rear bench with 60/40 split. (We get fixed rear bench).
Adjustable rear neck restraints. (We get fixed ones).
6 airbags (We get 2)
Safety features like Vehicle Stability Assist, Brake Assist, Hill Start Assist etc.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 13:27   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I wrote the below complaint in my opening post of this thread. Extremely glad to note that most of the important features are now at par with the South East markets, even though the variants come at a premium.

Credit where it's due. Well done Honda.

We now get stuff like -
- 6 airbags
- LED headlamps
- 7 years extended warranty (anytime warranty)
- 185 section tyres on top variant
- 16 inch alloys
- Digipad touchscreen audio
A lot of people's hopes are pinned on the new face lift specially me, since I have booked one myself.

However just to confirm, are you sure about the 7 years warranty ?
I was not given an option when I asked for even for the 5th year. I was told that the maximum extended warranty is till the 4th year.
Old 9th March 2017, 13:54   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post

However just to confirm, are you sure about the 7 years warranty ?.
After the 4th Year is over. you have to go to honda dealer and get the honda anytime warranty which is to be renewed every year up till 7 years. amount varies every year (read increases due to honda calculation of change of parts).
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 09:30   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
After the 4th Year is over. you have to go to honda dealer and get the honda anytime warranty which is to be renewed every year up till 7 years. amount varies every year (read increases due to honda calculation of change of parts).
Awesome thanks. I will keep that in mind.
Old 10th March 2017, 11:16   #375
Senior - BHPian

Not niggle free. My 2017 City VX CVT: headlights wouldn't come on but immediately set right by changing a faulty light stalk. There's a dash board rattle from left side around the a/c vent. Nothing major so driving around till 1st service when I'll set it right. But other wise a pleasure to drive. MID FE ranges from 10 to 14 kmpl depending on traffic.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks