Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2018, 23:35   #391

Re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

One of the reason for the noise/vibration/rattle issues in Honda's i-DTEC equipped vehicle is the engine itself.
-The engine block has been made up of aluminium and weighs around ~19 to ~20 KG, while Maruti's D13 Cast Iron block weighs around ~30 to ~34 KG. Cast iron radiates lesser noise as compared to Aluminium alloy and its vibration damping capabilities are also better.
-Apart from this all OEM's are benchmarking Maruti for VA/VE(Value Addition/Value Engineering) drives for cost reduction and value addition, including Honda. Also the localization of KD parts result in some degradation of product quality, though reducing the manufacturing cost.

Despite, cost reduction drives, vehicle verification & validation process at MSIL is so strong that only a few issues could by-pass the quality gates. The endurance cycles have been aligned beautifully with the Indian duty cycle, so that major issues are reported during the development cycle itself.

Other OEM's are also adopting this to align the product quality, keeping in mind the Indian driving/road conditions & competitive prices, but there's a long way to go!
Sanzen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 16:24   #392
BHPian

Re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
US JD Power Ratings for 2017 lists Honda (Even Acura) in USA well below the industry average. Toyota has barely managed to stay above average, but Lexus hasn't!

Attachment 1673515

It does seem to be the case. JD Power Initial Quality Survey India 2017 doesnt rank Honda cahrt topping in the 3 segments here. The City seems to be Honda's best model, but Verna has caught up. Jazz indeed has highest reported problems of the Honda models covered.

I guess, for us as consumers now, the lesson is we have to choose between higher design quality of Honda and better manufacuring quality of Toyota and Hyundai. Sad !
MBstoTBs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 12:36   #393
BANNED

Guys, if you are experiencing rattle from LHS door area while going over bad as well as not that much bad road patches and if it is a ‘sound of loose screw vibrating in it’s grove’, then you could do the below steps.

1. Remove the panel to the left side of dashboard from the location shown below.
Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?-dashboard-lhs.jpeg

2. Apply 3 M double sided tapes as shown below, especially on the green highlighted portion. The red highlighted ones are locks which hold the panel in place.
Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?-dashboard-lhs-panel.jpeg

Need more elaborated steps?? Let me know, I can create a video and share the same with you all.

Note : I have shared this information in official review thread, but I feel this thread is more appropriate.
pavi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 12:44   #394
BHPian

My 3rd Generation Honda City rear wheel bearing has failed and making noise at just 41K Km's. The sparingly used City is showing signs of ageing, even though its maintained and serviced at authorized workshop always.
Need to shell out 8K to get it fixed. Its just a faint noise that the mechanic showed me, can i drive it for a few days, as the part is not in stock right now at my service centre.
I drive a total of 60 Km's each day. Please advise.
Old 26th September 2018, 13:07   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
My 3rd Generation Honda City rear wheel bearing has failed and making noise at just 41K Km's. The sparingly used City is showing signs of ageing, even though its maintained and serviced at authorized workshop always.
Need to shell out 8K to get it fixed. Its just a faint noise that the mechanic showed me, can i drive it for a few days, as the part is not in stock right now at my service centre.
Head to an FNG. Get those bearings out and check the numbers. Get the replacements from either SKF or FAG. Just make sure that you buy them from an authorised reseller as there are plenty of fakes around, esp for SKF.

That should cost a fraction of what HASS has quoted. Plus, since bearing replacement is not that complex job, any good FNG should be able to do it just fine.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 26th September 2018, 13:50   #396
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
Had a similar issue with the dolphin city that we had. Around 35-40k faint sound that is best heard above 60kmph or so. Eventually had to replace the both sides and the issue was fixed. Better buy from the dealer to avoid counterfeits.
Old 31st October 2018, 15:00   #397
BANNED

For all those who are experiencing water leakage in foot wells in the 4th generation Honda City, I have made a video on how the waters enters the foot well. Your suggestions to fix the issue are welcome.

pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 13:27   #398
BHPian

My Honda City's driver side auto window up/down button is acting up. Is there a simple replacement of that single button or would I need to change the whole panel of 4 buttons?

Cost indications will be helpful too. Thanks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th November 2018 at 18:04. Reason: ANHC - Honda City. Please refrain from using abbreviations while referring to cars on the forum.
Old 10th November 2018, 15:08   #399
BHPian

I too had a similar problem in my Jazz, albeit under warranty,
The button was changed FOC. No need to change the whole panel.
Don't quite know the cost as such but should not be very high.
RickyC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 17:08   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Guys, if you are experiencing rattle from LHS door area while going over bad as well as not that much bad road patches and if it is a ‘sound of loose screw vibrating in it’s grove’, then you could do the below steps.

1. Remove the panel to the left side of dashboard from the location shown below.
Attachment 1802248
Any video so far? I may be asking too much

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 02:30. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 10th May 2019, 21:30   #401
BHPian

I am getting key access light warning. The keys were programmed recently, but this access light warning has not gone. The warning ride gives company on some days, while other days it is all normal. Any of you guys facing this issue or have experience settling this?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?-img_20190510_194500.jpg  

Old 18th October 2019, 17:55   #402
BHPian

Got My Mobilio I-Dtec serviced recently at at Classic honda Faridabad. The car has done 80000 Kilometers. The issues that were explained to me were as follows
Brake shoe replacement
Both disc assembly replacement
rocker arms replacement
Suspension mounts replacement
Rear suspension replacement
Clutch plates replacement
Silencer cleaning

Thank god, he did not tell me that my engine needs overhauling. I simply told him to service the vehicle and return it to me. The service charge were 3100+taxes. Overall bill was around 7500 Rs.

Post my visit and recommendations from Honda, i visited 2 go-mechanic outlets and 3 Bosch service outlets. All of them test drove and just suggested brake pad replacement and told that there is no issue elsewhere.

Coming back to the point that either Honda has started using sub-standard products or they have gone down as hell and will not hesitate looting an unsuspecting owner. Had i agreed to all that they had said, they would have run a bill somewhere close to 50000 rs. I raised the issue with honda customer care. They insisted me visiting any other honda dealer and get the same checked. I am aware about the fact that once the issue is mentioned in their service portal, all other dealers have access to it and will insist on me undertaking the same. They may even go down to the extent of adding some more points onto it. On the other hand, i also own a ford freestyle Titanium+ Petrol and have done 10000 kms on it. Have undertaken 2 services and the bill was just 1500. Less than the cost of servicing my Thunderbird 350. Also i own a Ritz diesel which is driven by my wife and has been driven mostly in cities. There has been no such issue reported in that car wheras my mobilio has been driven 80% on highways and is currently giving me a fuel efficiency of 24.4 Kilometers to a litre. There is no issue in pickup as well.

Thugs of japan trained by honda as u would call them.
su1978 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 18:05   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilminstrel View Post
Any of you guys facing this issue or have experience settling this?
did you check the cells of the keys? Try fresh ones.
Old 18th October 2019, 19:22   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Got My Mobilio I-Dtec serviced recently at at Classic honda Faridabad. The car has done 80000 Kilometers. The issues that were explained to me were as follows
Brake shoe replacement
Both disc assembly replacement
rocker arms replacement
Suspension mounts replacement
Rear suspension replacement
Clutch plates replacement
Silencer cleaning

Thank god, he did not tell me that my engine needs overhauling. I simply told him to service the vehicle and return it to me. The service charge were 3100+taxes. Overall bill was around 7500 Rs.

Thugs of japan trained by honda as u would call them.
Standard practice by Classic Honda. Same dealership quoted me 9500 for my City D 1,10,000 service recently. After I omitted unneccessary stuff the final bill was 4800. In fact most dealerships of all manufacturers do it these days.

They also quoted me a long list of stuff to be done on my car. I politely declined everything and insisted on only service related stuff. Car is running absolutely fine touchwood so I dont feel the need to tinker anything about it until its absolutely neccessary. Like they say 'If ain't broke, then don't fix it'
harry10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 16:01   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
did you check the cells of the keys? Try fresh ones.
Cells and everything was fine. Issue was with the Push Start switch. Got it replaced at the authorized service centre.

Generally speaking it seems that ASCs have a general instruction to avoid replacing parts under warranty. Always heck of a job to get things done. On my next visit am going to advocate the case of my rusted exhaust before my lords!
evilminstrel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks