Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2016, 07:04   #316
KRN
BHPian

I noticed a randomly occurring problem with the tachometer in my CVT. On switching on the ignition, the Tacho shows zero RPM at idle and revving the engine moves the Tacho needle above zero. Basically, the Tacho shows around 900 or 1000 rpm less than what it should for any accelerator input.

Switching off the ignition and then restarting solves the issue and idle rpm shows regular value.

I am hoping that this is a simple issue with the Tacho instrument itself and not an indicator of an issue with the engine.

This is the second time I am noticing this in 1 year of ownership. The first time this happened, I almost drove for 1 km before I noticed. Yesterday was the second time and I managed to capture a video of this behaviour. Not sure how to upload here

I can live with this problem, if it is just the Tacho but surprised that no one else has seen it yet!
Old 12th June 2016, 21:46   #317
BHPian

re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
I am an owner of a 2009 gem. My car does not have any item numbers like rain sensing wipers, bluetooth, navigation system etc etc which many Indians are infinitely besotted. But it is one heck of an niggle free, exciting car to own

In subsequent years, from the sales numbers, Honda realized that Indian customers are enamoured by these gizmos as much as or more than the car itself. You can see this from numerous posts in team-bhp where members make feature by feature comparison influencing their buying decision. Honda localized heavily and introduced all those swanky features into their cars too. From what we observed, people were gaga and started buying Hondas again.

Honda, India had partly lost the original DNA. Parent company realize this as an international problem and are trying to make amends: http://www.enca.com/life/motoring/ho...g-quality-cars

Personally, I would like to see Honda go back and make those cars of yore again. Their cars were known for quality, longevity and being exciting to drive. These cars have made their owners grin ear-to-ear.

Same time, I am wishful of seeing the day where at least educated buyers in India remain unswayed and uncharmed by these trivialities and instead focus on safety, comfort, driving experience and quality. But that is me
You spoke my mind. You see 99.99% of Indians grew up in poverty, after the economy grew people just started buying cars for show-off and bling. Add class/caste based culture and you have a recipe.

These days in developed countries even richer people dont buy super luxury cars - the reason is they have 'been there, done that'.

I have a feeling that the new 10 gen Civic will bring Hondas original heritage back!
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 00:12   #318
BHPian

re: Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore?

The problem persists worldwide, and is not India-specific. Here are a few related links -

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...s-persist.aspx

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...ality-concerns

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe.../#5b81bd786ba5

And one from India -
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...india/49732262
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 10:39   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post my queries
Mods pls merge with a more apt thread
I have a 2006 city ZX
Since the last 1 yr my air con is not effective. It does not cool the car during the day. But cools sufficiently during the nights. Strange problem
Is this the AC gas issue? Or something more severe. Last year HASS quoted around 7k for a complete AC overhaul. I did not go for it. Pls advise as I plan to get this sorted before the Gurgaon summers start
Have you found a solution to your problem by now?

Have you checked the volume of Air flow from the vents? Is it the same as it was before or there is a shortfall in the quantity of air flow? If it is not the same, then in all possibility, the air intake filter of your car's AC system has been clogged. Get it cleaned and you will breathe clean cool air once again.

If the air volume is same but with lesser cooling, there is a possibility of refrigerant gas being inadequate. You may have to get the hoses checked for any leaks and get the gas refilled. This should solve the problem.

Worst still the compressor might be losing some pressure while condensing the gas due to worn out piston rings, this may require the AC compressor to undergo overhaul.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 13th June 2016 at 10:40.
Old 13th June 2016, 14:27   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
Have you found a solution to your problem by now?

Have you checked the volume of Air flow from the vents? Is it the same as it was before or there is a shortfall in the quantity of air flow? If it is not the same, then in all possibility, the air intake filter of your car's AC system has been clogged. Get it cleaned and you will breathe clean cool air once again.

If the air volume is same but with lesser cooling, there is a possibility of refrigerant gas being inadequate. You may have to get the hoses checked for any leaks and get the gas refilled. This should solve the problem.

Worst still the compressor might be losing some pressure while condensing the gas due to worn out piston rings, this may require the AC compressor to undergo overhaul.

Got this resolved at HASS for 5k. They did an air con service with gas refill and coil cleaning. The ZX model does not have a cabin filter, that was my first guess. The air flow was not affected so went with whatever HASS recommend. Happy with the results
Old 22nd June 2016, 02:18   #321
BHPian

3rd monsoon since we got the City. 3rd consecutive monsoon for water collection in the vehicle.
I am fed up.
Request folks with experience handling carmaker-consumer disputes to kindly PM me with tips or first hand experience. This is going to get ugly.
Old 22nd June 2016, 02:43   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
3rd monsoon since we got the City. 3rd consecutive monsoon for water collection in the vehicle.
I am fed up.
Request folks with experience handling carmaker-consumer disputes to kindly PM me with tips or first hand experience. This is going to get ugly.
Hey,

That's sad. I hope it has not affected anything else in the car. We once had water entering in my brothers Honda city. This was previous generation car. The car was only 3 months old. We drove through water and it entered the cabin. we were surprised by this. However there was a bigger surprise waiting for us. We gave the car to Honda for complete dry cleaning and got a call from SA that the Airbag module in the car has gone bad and we will have to shell out 30 K for this. It will not be covered under warranty. The module is somewhere near the gearshift console. Last week the AC drain hose in my friend's Civic got choked and water got collected inside. Guess what. He too has the Airbag light on on the console.
nik0502 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:01   #323
BHPian

Quote:

I am fed up.

Where does the water collect? Passenger footwell? Driver footwell? Boot? I have struggled with water getting accumulated myself post a windscreen replacement. Took a while for the Honda folks to completely fix. I fact took them 5 years to identify the issue. The plastic bezel below the windscreen, housing the wiper had a gap in my case
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:52   #324
BHPian

The water collection has always been at the rear passenger footwell, primarily right side more than left. So it is unlikely to be AC related, or even airbag or windshield related. Since 2014 they have changed speakers & sealant, in-door plastic sheet & sealant, door beading etc etc. Nothing has worked.
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:16   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ please check if the plugs in the floor are all intact.Water might be coming though there
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:39   #326
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Got this resolved at HASS for 5k. They did an air con service with gas refill and coil cleaning. The ZX model does not have a cabin filter, that was my first guess. The air flow was not affected so went with whatever HASS recommend. Happy with the results
See if they are not installing a filter but the box is there (most likely), even the Civic does not have a filter installed. If not see if you can probably cut open and install. There is a lovely DIY thread on this for the Amaze/Brio/Mobilio. The filter box in Honda is behind the glove compartment.
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:05   #327
BHPian

I use my iPhone with lightning cable to play music in my city SV. Sometimes when I pick up a call the song pauses and does not start until I manually hit play on the phone. It's very annoying.

Anyone figured out what dashboard buttons I have to use to get it to play from the pause?

This is not the infotainment system of VX. This is the HU on City SV
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:04   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is going to get ugly.
Do you have all the job cards and service bills handy? First step would be to get those in order, if not already done.
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:40   #329
BHPian

Quote:
The water collection has always been at the rear passenger footwell, primarily right side more than left. So it is unlikely to be AC related, or even airbag or windshield related. Since 2014 they have changed speakers & sealant, in-door plastic sheet & sealant, door beading etc etc. Nothing has worked.

Ok so does it collect only when it rains. My car faced this issue because my door beading was unable to expel the water using its inbuilt channels. HASS made a few holes in it at the bottom to ensure that the beading serves its purpose and expels the water out rather than letting it in

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
See if they are not installing a filter but the box is there (most likely), even the Civic does not have a filter installed. If not see if you can probably cut open and install. There is a lovely DIY thread on this for the Amaze/Brio/Mobilio. The filter box in Honda is behind the glove compartment.

Yes the box is there and it's empty I have been too lazy to do this DIY. But thank you for the tip
Old 29th June 2016, 22:36   #330

hi to all frequent teambhpians. I am witnessing a squeaking sound upon low force braking in my city diesel sv MT 2014 model car. The brake pads were changed some 10000 kms back and since then this squeaking sound started. I have given it for brakes overhauling which included brakes cleaning, caliper pin greasing but this sound just refuses to die. Still the brake pads have 10 mm of thickness. The most strange thing is that no matter how hard I try but I am unable to reproduce this noise at Honda workshop. However I have recorded this noise in my mobile and made my SA to hear it. But still he got no clue and said that I need to reproduce it in front of him to rectify it. What should I do now?

Most Viewed