Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 17:50   #1
BHPian

No PAN card, new car stuck at dealership! EDIT: Car delivered

Hey all!

I'm an NRI, and I've just bought a new 5er. However, as an NRI, I do not have a PAN card (yet). I did not know about the requirement for a PAN card until it came time to register my new baby with the RTO. I thought that the situation could be fixed by signing Form 60, however, it turns out that the RBI has decreed Form 60 to be no longer valid.

Unfortunately, the situation now stands with my car sitting at the dealership until my PAN card comes in.

Is there any way that I can have my car temporarily registered until my PAN card comes in? I don't want my car sitting at the dealership for weeks!

(Please note: This is relevant to Mumbai's RTO)
Stiggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 18:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: No PAN card, new car stuck at dealership! EDIT: Car delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
Is there any way that I can have my car temporarily registered until my PAN card comes in?

You can drive for up to 30 days on temp plates. This will cost 5k (agent will charge 1k - 2k for initial 7 day registration and 3k for extension to 30 days.

http://mahatranscom.in/tempreg.aspx
Old 31st October 2014, 18:03   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can drive for up to 30 days on temp plates. This will cost 5k (agent will charge 1k - 2k for initial 7 day registration and 3k for extension to 30 days.

http://mahatranscom.in/tempreg.aspx
As far as the dealership is concerned, my SE said that TR numbers are only given to vehicles that are being moved from RTO to RTO between states, and that it isn't valid because the car is in Mumbai itself, as is the delivery address and the dealership.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

As per the new rules laid by the Indian Government, a PAN (permanent account number) is now compulsory for NRIs, PIOs, OCIs, Foreign nationals & Organizations to carry various kinds of financial or investment related transactions in India.

Get a PAN Card online immediately. It is very easy . There are many sites offering PAN card applying facility .Go to www.tin-nsdl.com and apply online and you will get the PAN number soon.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Once you apply for the PAN card, you will get an acknowledgement with a number, that is as good as a PAN card, are they not allowing for a registration even with the "PAN APPLIED FOR" clause?
Old 31st October 2014, 18:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Once you apply for the PAN card, you will get an acknowledgement with a number, that is as good as a PAN card, are they not allowing for a registration even with the "PAN APPLIED FOR" clause?
Nope, the PAN APPLIED FOR clause isn't valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
As per the new rules laid by the Indian Government, a PAN (permanent account number) is now compulsory for NRIs, PIOs, OCIs, Foreign nationals & Organizations to carry various kinds of financial or investment related transactions in India.

Get a PAN Card online immediately. It is very easy . There are many sites offering PAN card applying facility .Go to www.tin-nsdl.com and apply online and you will get the PAN number soon.
Already done. Tracking. It says the PAN is under process at the Income Tax Dept. Who knows how long that's gonna take.. I've heard of up to 14 days of waiting.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Already done. Tracking. It says the PAN is under process at the Income Tax Dept. Who knows how long that's gonna take.. I've heard of up to 14 days of waiting.
Keep a track of it everyday. You might even get an SMS of the pan number . You need not wait for the PAN card as it will take time to get the PAN card , this status will show your PAN number once it is allotted and you can take the print out and give it them.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Keep a track of it everyday. You might even get an SMS of the pan number . You need not wait for the PAN card as it will take time to get the PAN card , this status will show your PAN number once it is allotted and you can take the print out and give it them.
Understood, thanks.

Until then is there no way I can pull my car out of the dealership?

I believe TR plates are an option, but I'm receiving very contradictory information about them with regard to the Insurance and Legality portion.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as the dealership is concerned, my SE said that TR numbers are only given to vehicles that are being moved from RTO to RTO between states, and that it isn't valid because the car is in Mumbai itself, as is the delivery address and the dealership.
Dealer would not want you to use TR. Dealers usually over-charge by 10 - 20k for doing registration on your behalf. They will lose that if you get is done by paying 5k to RTO agent (registration + extension of TR).

Make sure other papers are in order

1. Insurance cover note
2. Tax receipt
3. Octroi receipt

I chose this route for my car too (Dealer was charging 8k for registration, I got it done for 1500).

This thread has more details on driving with TR:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...istration.html
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 18:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Dealer would not want you to use TR. Dealers usually over-charge by 10 - 20k for doing registration on your behalf. They will lose that if you get is done by paying 5k to RTO agent (registration + extension of TR).

Make sure other papers are in order

1. Insurance cover note
2. Tax receipt
3. Octroi receipt

I chose this route for my car too (Dealer was charging 8k for registration, I got it done for 1500).

This thread has more details on driving with TR:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...istration.html
I see. Thanks for that!

Just called up a couple of RTO Agents, all of them point blank refused to do TR plates. Perhaps there's some new law or something that I don't know about, but for now, there's no where I can turn for TR plates. Argh, so lost now.
Stiggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 23:33   #11
BHPian

Hey Stiggy,

Why don't you ask the dealership to deliver the car at your place unregistered on a flatbed or so, if you are skeptical about the car being at the dealership for so many days.

You can ask the dealership to consider yours as a special case and anywayz, you have paid for the car in full, so I don't think they will be not willing to consider your request.
Old 31st October 2014, 23:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accius View Post
Hey Stiggy,

Why don't you ask the dealership to deliver the car at your place unregistered on a flatbed or so, if you are skeptical about the car being at the dealership for so many days.

You can ask the dealership to consider yours as a special case and anywayz, you have paid for the car in full, so I don't think they will be not willing to consider your request.
It's not that I don't trust the dealership, Infinity Cars Worli have been nothing but a delight throughout my whole purchasing experience, it's just that I don't enjoy the idea of 56L just sitting there for a week or so, doing nothing but collecting dust. The money is gone, but the car isn't here, even if it could be, all for the want of a PAN number.

Granted, this is my fault for not having a PAN card in the first place, however, I was under the assumption that Form 60 still applies. It even SAYS so on the Maharashtra Transcom website. So very annoying.

I also believe it's illegal for the dealership to deliver an unregistered vehicle.

Last edited by Stiggy : 31st October 2014 at 23:40.
Old 1st November 2014, 00:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
It's not that I don't trust the dealership, Infinity Cars Worli have been nothing but a delight throughout my whole purchasing experience, it's just that I don't enjoy the idea of 56L just sitting there for a week or so, doing nothing but collecting dust. The money is gone, but the car isn't here, even if it could be, all for the want of a PAN number.

Granted, this is my fault for not having a PAN card in the first place, however, I was under the assumption that Form 60 still applies. It even SAYS so on the Maharashtra Transcom website. So very annoying.

I also believe it's illegal for the dealership to deliver an unregistered vehicle.
How on earth the dealership did not know that they require your PAN for the vehicle to be registered! If they had known that they require it and also know that you do not have one, how could they take the full payment from you?
Old 1st November 2014, 01:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
How on earth the dealership did not know that they require your PAN for the vehicle to be registered! If they had known that they require it and also know that you do not have one, how could they take the full payment from you?
They knew that you need a PAN. Of course they did.

I think they just assumed that I had one, which is fair enough. It is the norm to have one. I am, in this situation, the exception rather than the rule. I understand that. Now I'm just looking for ways to get the car on the road instead of sitting at the showroom waiting for my PAN to turn up.

A couple of BHPians recommended Temporary plates. My SE said no earlier today, but I am going to approach him tomorrow with additional "gusto".
Old 1st November 2014, 01:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accius View Post
Hey Stiggy,

The dealership is not allowed to deliver a vehicle without registration. So this is not something that they can do legally.

Quote:
Just called up a couple of RTO Agents, all of them point blank refused to do TR plates. Perhaps there's some new law or something that I don't know about, but for now, there's no where I can turn for TR plates. Argh, so lost now.
And yes TR plates are another gray zone in our motor vehicle laws. Although I keep seeing many cars on TR plates but BMW refuses to release your car on the same. Even last year Bird Auto, Gurgaon refused to release my car on TR plates even though in my case the delay in registration was due to there fault.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed