Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2014, 11:11   #16
BHPian

Re: October 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Some observations:

1) 9 out of top 20 are from the Maruti stable. Good going!!
2) Surprised to see Omni and Eeco in top 20. Does the market value cost consciousness over safety and features?
3) Ciaz and Zest surpassing City and Amaze. Wake up call for Honda
4) Bolero selling more than scorpio. ( Impact of rural market which is seldom talked about?)
5) Only 1 TATA vehicle in top 20 (zest). Is it because of the novelty factor of a newly launched vehicle? Bleak future for TATA??
CoolCarNi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:15   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

On the whole, nothing extra ordinary. 8 of the top 20 cars are Maruti cars and Bolero sales increase by the day.
Its too early to comment on the Ciaz and the new Corolla numbers IMO

However I'll be interested to see the November sales if the 0-star rating for the Swift and Go has any effect or not

One question I had... Does the Punto+Evo include Avventura too?
If not, Its hard to believe that no Avventura rolled out of the factory in October?
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:35   #18
J.Ravi

Good to see the eternal back-bencher, FIAT, has climbed up the ladder from the lowest step to the third one from the bottom, even without Avventura numbers. Hope, the uptrend continues in future too. But the crore-rupee question is, will a broad-minded, wealthy employer come forward every month for buying FIAT cars in bulk for giving them away as bonus to his/her employees?

Last edited by J.Ravi : 7th November 2014 at 11:54.
  (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:55   #19
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed report, once again. These days I keep waiting for this report every month.

Ciaz sales are really encouraging for maruti, specially when compared with it's predecessor SX4. It seems people are slowly accepting maruti in the vicinity of a million rupee car.

Datsun Go sales have been pretty good considering the "not very well known" brand name. However, after the safety test ratings from NCAP and subsequent wide media coverage of the infamous withdrawal request from Max Mosley, I am curious to know how this will impact the datsun brand. Will have to wait for the November sales report for that.

As a matter of fact we already know that NCAP ratings are not going to affect maruti sales, at least in india. (the sales figures of alto 800 says it all) Maruti is simply "too big" in indian consumer's mind.

The scorpio and swift sales figure declined in anticipation of the face-lift. With the astonishing mileage promise for the face-lifted swift i expect the the sales to bounce back next month.

I was interested in the sales figures of tata zest. Specially after their tall claim of booking and subsequent complaints at the forum from various members about their online bookings not being honored properly by the company. After all these fuss the sales figure are still disappointing.
Old 7th November 2014, 13:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Over a month back i was stuck in traffic-jam and it was stand still. So just got down from my car and took a pic of the long traffic jam. Later when i saw the pic in my laptop it simply looked like a Maruti Stock Yard with Dzire's and Swift's dominating the road. No wonder India rolls on Maruti.

October 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-img_3073.jpg

Plus i highly doubt whether the safety ratings of the Swift will hardly affect its sales! Though i myself was driving another zero safety rated car from Maruti at that time. The Alto k10. With Zero safety ratings Alto is the highest selling car till date. Its safety ratings were out few months back but the sales were not at all affected. So am pretty sure same will be with the Swift.
Samba is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 13:34   #21
BHPian

Interesting to see the Punto in the top gainers. It is probably there due to the 455 Puntos gifted by our very dear Mr. Savjibhai to his employees as Diwali bonus

Wonder how funny and confusing the parking lot in their firm must be.

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 7th November 2014 at 13:41.
prakhar1998 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 13:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
What is with Amaze, Mobilio and brio? Why do they have do fluctuating sales figures month after month? Is it because they might be sharing the production facility which keep switching priorities as per demand?
I had the same question. What's with so much fluctuation in these numbers for Honda. From over 9000 Amaze shipped in August, to 3400 copies in October !

Also, can someone enlighten me why does Wagon-R sell ? Especially, in the numbers that it sells (14k copies a month !) Can understand Alto, Dzire and Swift numbers, but a Wagon-R ? Isn't Ritz a much better option for someone looking to stay a segment below Swift ?
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 14:12   #23
BHPian

Fiat - up only due to the 455 Puntos by the generous diamond merchant. If that's removed, Punto in fact has under performed vis-a-vis the last 2 months.

Honda - hope this gives them the much needed shot in the arm and they realize that the customer will no longer buy a Honda only because it's a Honda. Mobilio is one of the crappiest cars I have seen for 10 lacs... City has been compromised on quality (as posted on a separate thread)... Brio / Amaze are just nowhere compared to the competition. Should realize the new City gave them a boost but they have to stay on top of the game to maintain position.

Maruti - what to say... the figures just leave me stumped every month. Ciaz has been an eye-opener but would be interesting to track over next 3-4 months once initial euphoria subsides.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 14:14   #24
BHPian

Wow, Honda really needs to sort out their production issues. Their sales chart MoM is all over the place. I am intrigued at how Honda analysts decode product performance / demand from this sort of a data pattern.

Maruti has received some negative press over the past few weeks due to the failed crash tests and hideous face-jobs. But, to an average joe it will hardly make any difference. Now with the "so called" updated Swift hope to see it bounce back to 16-17K units monthly sales.

Where is the Bolt ?? Tata needs to pull all stops and get the Bolt out asap. What are they waiting for ? Christmas ?

And for the likes of Chevy and Ford, their last years sellers Beat and Figo are down for the count. They need to get their global products in India, and not half baked updates.

Why can't Chevy bring their stunner - Sonic.
Attached Thumbnails
October 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-chevy-sonic.jpg  

Burn_out is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 14:19   #25
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the sharing the much awaited thread of every month. Just a small query, why are no Audi / BMW / Merc etc never reported in this thread ever. Pardon my ignorance if this question has been answered earlier as I am relatively new to team-BHP (as a Bhpian at least, been following the forum and various threads for over 2 years but still do not recollect whether this question was ever addressed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Also, can someone enlighten me why does Wagon-R sell ? Especially, in the numbers that it sells (14k copies a month !) Can understand Alto, Dzire and Swift numbers, but a Wagon-R ? Isn't Ritz a much better option for someone looking to stay a segment below Swift ?
With regards to Wagon-R numbers, I think it sells in such a high number due to the fact it has a CNG model, plus it is cheaper than Ritz by ~50K. Maruti has adopted a good strategy with the price difference between the two and the fact that factory fitted CNG model of Ritz is not available citing the reason that Ritz has a diesel model as well
MadAbtCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 14:25   #26
BANNED

Quote:
I had the same question. What's with so much fluctuation in these numbers for Honda. From over 9000 Amaze shipped in August, to 3400 copies in October !
They are having production constraints, and are adjusting the production of one model in favour of another model. Most probably it will be stabilized when their new plant is fully operational.

Quote:
Isn't Ritz a much better option for someone looking to stay a segment below Swift ?
Looks does matter! For many including me, the "boxy" Wagon-R is much better looking than the rear-ugly Ritz. But I must say that the front of the Ritz is looking far better and aggressive, and the current gen WR is the best looking WR ever!
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 14:27   #27
BHPian

For the new entrants :

ZEST - If the situation in Kolkata is something to go buy, then blame the ordinary numbers of the Zest on the lack of Tata showrooms here. Most big showrooms of TAMO had shut shop and/or changed loyalties. New ones are coming up though and they should really hurry.

CIAZ - A rare desirable car from the MS stable. Deserves better engines.

ELITE i20 - How important is looks and feel in the Indian
market! Guess no one noticed that from some important aspects it is a compromise over the outgoing model.
Old 7th November 2014, 14:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
It's sad to see dismal sales numbers by Aria despite being a brilliant product.
Absolutely. Probably because of poor pricing and an even poor marketing. Just 24 sold in Oct!

A question for this group. Does it make sense to buy into a product which shows a declining trend in sales? To be fair, there are less Yeti sold than Aria and yet people seem to recommend buying a Yeti but say no to an Aria.
Old 7th November 2014, 14:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Honda started struggle with launch of Ciaz, Zest etc. City numbers are down & is at number 2 behind Ciaz. Zest also sold more than Amaze. Mobilio started struggle already. Good to see that people don't go for it just because of Honda. It has pathetic interiors, hope Honda will learn a lesson or two here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Honda - hope this gives them the much needed shot in the arm and they realize that the customer will no longer buy a Honda only because it's a Honda. Mobilio is one of the crappiest cars I have seen for 10 lacs... City has been compromised on quality (as posted on a separate thread)... Brio / Amaze are just nowhere compared to the competition. Should realize the new City gave them a boost but they have to stay on top of the game to maintain position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_out View Post
Wow, Honda really needs to sort out their production issues. Their sales chart MoM is all over the place. I am intrigued at how Honda analysts decode product performance / demand from this sort of a data pattern.
My opinion : Honda's situation is nothing to worry about. They had this shifting of City production from one facility to another and concentrating on cars with higher demand possibly.

About a couple of weeks back during my third servicing I was checking up on the waiting periods of the City and Mobilio. Both have a 2-4 months waiting period depending on the Variant. In fact, City CVT top-end has a waiting period of close to 8 Months.

If you look at the recent press release of Honda, they have indicated the start of second shift in one of the production facilities from November-2014. So expect the numbers to rise at least by 20% next month.

As far as Ciaz denting City's numbers, its really a case of a new car's initial 3-4 months. Ciaz's Booking started long back and these are just the back-logs clearing out and will be so for another 2-3 months at least. In fact, if you look at the third month sales of the New City, it had crossed 9500 Cars in March-2014. Honda City has sold 7000+ cars for 7 months straight from its launch. Ciaz in only its second month hasn't been able to cross that. Some of the other cars in the Maruti's stable have taken a hit to make way for Ciaz. Celerio, Swift, Ertiga, Eeco all have over 10% drop in the M-o-M numbers.

Certainly a case where even Maruti is trying to manage their production issues it seems. Its just that the sheer numbers of MSIL do not indicate that they might have any production issues.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 14:52   #30
BHPian

When you have a sound base, a sound strategy, widespread sales and service network and regular upgrade of existing models as well as launch of new products it is not difficult to see why Maruti and Hyundai are so dominant. Hyundai in my opinion is one manufacturer which does not bring second rung products from else where. Look at what Ciaz has done to Maruti and Elite i20 to Hyundai. These two manufacturers do not stand still. They are always looking to refurbish their existing models and bring in new products as soon as possible after their global launches.

Alto with a new k10 is set to stretch its legs even further. Elite i20 is probably the first model to have made a significant dent in to Swift sales . Hyundai do not launch cheap cars, value for money is their mantra. Indian customer is willing to spend more as long as he sees a proportional value for money component. With Ciaz Maruti is trying to get out of the mass market manufacturer tag and the initial signs are good. Pretty much anything that Maruti has in its repertoire is doing good numbers.

Mahinda's Scorpio was doing 4k/month before the new model and it would be interesting to see if it manages to keep up the curent numbers around 5k on a consistent basis. Bolero is continuing to do its maverick mode. Despite the archaic engine, age old mechanicals it is doing outstanding numbers because it is bulletproof, rugged, cheap to buy and maintain which are the most important criteria in the segment it is the undisputed champion of. XUV is probably the most impressive model in Mahindra line up after Scorpio because of the numbers it is doing on a consistent basis in its segment. Quanto, Verito Vibe are duds and the changes made to Xylo haven't exactly boosted its numbers.

Toyota Corolla is an example where people are more inclined towards a brand than the product itself. The turbolag laced underpowered engine and relatively expensive price tage hasn't deterred people from owning it although the real verdict will be out after six months. Fortuner and Innova are like thoroughbreds for Toyota and they are continuing to chug along doing healthy numbers.

Tata is paying a heavy price for sleeping when it was on top. The Indica and Indigo were money churners and Tata woke up too late by which time the other manufacturers had taken a firm hold of the segments they were competing in. Though the Vista and Manza were decent their fit, finish and quality was not up to the mark add to it the below average after sales and service. Zest despite all the hype has failed to make the splash it was expected to. The reason is simple. you need a ground breaking design like an Elite i20 to take the challenge to the segment leaders. Zest despite all the propaganda is not all new. Tata need to come up with a ground up design and concentrate on few but quality products.

Chevrolet is done. I can't see a ray of light for them. Fiat despite a slight surge in Punto numbers is in a similar state. Ford totally mismanaged the pricing of new Fiesta and is paying a massive price for it. Skoda is struggling with its brand image due to the sales and service fiasco it is plagues with since its inception and has failed to get rid of.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 7th November 2014 at 14:53.
needforspeed88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed